A wild Zubat appeared! What Pokemon have annoyed you the most in playthroughs and in general?

Clearly not enough people in this forum grew up with Diamond/Pearl because by far the most annoying Pokémon in the series for kids hasn't been brought up.

The worst part about Diamond/Pearl only having 2 Fire-Type mons, one being the starter and so easily missable, is that during the Mt. Coronet segment of the game it seems like almost every Galactic Grunt has a Bronzor. Bronzor is a Steel/Psychic type Pokémon, which is a type renowned for having only 2 weaknesses: Ground- and Fire-Type attacks. And Bronzor and Bronzong both have Levitate, so it's only weak to Fire-Type moves or, if you chose a different starter, Rapidash. Not to mention Bronzor are legitimately really bulky, and often used Confuse Ray or Hypnosis from memory. And these are actually annoying because they're trainer battles so you can't just run from them (I don't understand how any Wild Pokémon is annoying; use a repel or spam run). Interestingly enough, the Grunts no longer use Bronzor in Platinum, opting for a bevy of Dark-Type Pokémon such as Houndour and Murkrow instead.

Lucian's Bronzong gets a mention for the same thing. I never broke through it as a kid because I never figured out its one weakness, or my team didn't have anything capable of using Fire-Type attacks.
That DP also lacked Fire-type mons in general certainly didn't help, I guess...

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The elemental monkeys in Gen V.

Not only are the designs super ugly and the Pokémon annoyingly bad, but whenever you see one, you just know the other two are right around the corner. "Aw, balls. Monkey. Here we go again". They always appear in a set of three. Either there's three consecutive trainers using one each, or you meet two in a double battle and the last one separately right afterwards, or one trainer may have all three.

I remember BW1 having a quite predictable set-up for route trainers: the trainers mostly used the Pokémon available in the wild in that area. The elemental monkeys were consistently an exception to this. I'm not going through all the trainer data to check, but playing the games it really feels like the monkeys are the only three Pokémon they bothered to use all over the region, with the caveat that they would always appear together.

Also, another nod to Yungoos, Alolan Rattata, and Wingull in Gen VII. These three Pokémon (although in reality you only ever meet two of them at any time) make up 60% of the wild encounters in over half the land routes of Alola. They are early-game crapmons players get tired of by the end of Route 3, yet somehow they follow you around the whole region, showing their ugly mug time and time again. Even on the last island, ostensibly meant to be a big nature reserve where you would at least expect to meet something different. But no, it's rats and Pelipper wherever you turn your head. This is spectacularly bad game design.
The Gen 5 games in general had a particular obsession with package dealing certain groups of Pokemon, with the monkeys being the most blatant example, but there were a few other "pairs" they often made.

Another notable example is Cottonee and Petilil. Those two were practically always a package deal whenever you saw them. Early on you see Trainers who use both of them on the same team. Later on it's the case with their evolved forms: you see a Trainer with a Lilligant in one area, another one in that same place is sure to have a Whimsicott, and vice versa. This is also the case with Throh and Sawk, Gothita and Solosis lines, Archen and Tirtouga, and later even in BW2 you see Braviary and Mandibuzz getting this treatment, where when one Trainer has Braviary, another has a Mandibuzz. In many cases, you even saw Trainers using both of a pair, or a double battle where the opponents use Whimsicott+Lilligant or Throh+Sawk, for example. Or Route 10 where there's one Trainer with an Accelgor, and the other has an Escavalier.

BW2 even did quite a bit of this into the post-game where aside from Mandibuzz and Braviary, you also had people using past gen pairs in the same way as the monkeys and version exclusive pairs of Gen 5, where I distinctly remember one Trainer in Route 1 who had a Mismagius, then the next had a Honchkrow. I think in Route 1 there was a Trainer who had Durant/Espeon/Honchkrow and the other had Heatmor/Umbreon/Mismagius. Another pair had one with a Victreebel and another with a Vileplume. I think even before that there's also the same treatment with Magby and Elekid, for example.

There were also a bunch of predictable trends aside from what you mentioned: the Workers always used Timburr or its evolutionary relatives (and they were *everywhere*), delinquent/roughnecks used any variant of the Sandile or Scraggy lines (and later Pawniard), Hikers always used some variation of Woobat/Boldore/Gurdurr, and vice versa.

But yeah, overall Gen 5 was pretty obsessed with grouping Pokemon together to a point where the Trainer patterns tended to become very predictable as a result of it. You see one member of the group, the others are sure to appear. The monkeys were just the absolute most in-your-face about it, but there were also many "pairs" that showed up, often times version exclusive counterparts or counterparts of some sort. Throh and Sawk is probably the most obvious example of them all aside from the monkeys, but there's also plenty of other "pairings" they did: BW2 went even harder than that in some respects.

Any pokemon with a trapping ability while I'm trying to run through an area and I used my last repels is going to be an annoyance to me. Luckily I usually remember to pick up enough repels though, so it's a rare occurrence. However... I recently played Ultra Sun (an edit called Supernova Sun) and there were Trapinch as overworld encounters that would run over to you. And there were many. And they were hard to avoid. And it was in the middle of the weird puzzle of Haina Desert, where I was trying to figure out where I was and where I needed to be.

Needless to say, it was pretty annoying. Now that I think of it, I'm not really a fan of the encounters in SM/USUM that were overworld shadows that ran over to you or even just existed without running to you. At times they were hard to avoid and inconveniently located, and repels didn't work on them.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
:dp/bronzor:
People love to forget about DP Bronzor, but I see someone else bought it up here, god bless. This little shit is the bane of all my playthroughs to the point of kind of demotivating me, honestly. The Steel typing is kind of ridiculous in this generation, and when one of the weaknesses is just gone. The worst part is this thing will have Heatproof or Levitate, so one of its sole weaknesses is shut down. Then the developers had the gall to give it Hypnosis at L7, and lord knows you're gonna be seeing that a ton. Thank the good lord above that Levitate is announced or I would have burned my Pearl cartridge years ago.

Now don't get me wrong, I like a challenge. But when this little shit is mercilessly spammed mid-game and even by the Commanders in Platinum. This makes what would make a nice surprise pick for a strong trainer (which Platinum did well) a thing that just makes you let out an exasperated sigh. It gets worse when DP just won't give you a Fire-type to hit the bastards with...come on, Rapidash? Really now? I'd say kill this thing with fire, but it doesn't seem possible when we're in the Sinnoh region, eh?

Adding to the above, Bronzor isn’t even a good Pokémon when you use it either.

The typing would be cool if almost all the bosses didn’t hit you for neutral damage, and Bronzor’s base 24 offenses are so bad Extrasensory won’t save them. And assuming you get it early, you have to use Bronzor’s awful offenses for like 20 levels or so until it evolves into Bronzong, where it’s usable but at that point the offenses are kinda meh and you almost never hit SE so who cares.

It sucks playing against and sucks playing with it. It’s a shame as I think the mon had potential, but it’s not very good at all. Yeah this could have gone in that disappointing mons thread, but I’d figure I’d bring it up here.

In Playthrough, nothing Really, But If Im In the Middle of a Cave, Having No Potion, no repel, And Need To Fight Something and Im still Low level, Then Yeah.

In General, No pokemon shows Anoyens To Me, Maybee Hoopa from The Hoopa Movie, But I haven't watched it, And I think I will Not Watched it.

The Only Thing That I can see Being anoying is In Competitive, Many Mons can Make me Get anoyed, Like Stall Pokemon, Primal Groudon, and Many More

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In Playthrough, nothing Really, But If Im In the Middle of a Cave, Having No Potion, no repel, And Need To Fight Something and Im still Low level, Then Yeah.

In General, No pokemon shows Anoyens To Me, Maybee Hoopa from The Hoopa Movie, But I haven't watched it, And I think I will Not Watched it.

The Only Thing That I can see Being anoying is In Competitive, Many Mons can Make me Get anoyed, Like Stall Pokemon, Primal Groudon, and Many More
I really have to ask: what kind of rules do you use when deciding whether to begin a word with a capital letter?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
:gs/swinub:
So I was grinding in my copy of Pokemon Silver, and for a reason I'm still pondering as we speak, I decided to grind in Ice Path.

It wasn't a good decision...

The Swinub in Ice Path come with Endure, and they love to spam the living shit out of it. This makes grinding a bit of a chore, as their high encounter rate makes you almost have to fight them. Otherwise, you lose time trying to find the tasty stuff (Golbat and Jynx). So as you're plowing through these little gits they're gonna spam Endure, as their lives literally depend on it. This makes them really easy to catch, but it also really cuts into PP use if you're grinding. So, if you're like me and never use PP restoration items...they can get very, very annoying. Ever seen a Swinub use Endure 4 times in a row and use up the last of your Headbutts? Not a fun time...

Right as I left, I realized I could have just gone south of Blackthorn and smacked a few Gravelers.

I'm not very smart.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have a somewhat odd one in that it's completely based on experiences in spin-off games. Aerodactyl has this way of getting in the way in the most annoying ways.

Pokemon Stadium 2 showcases it on Lance's team, and if you're trying to beat the Elite Four with Rentals you've probably had an unlucky moment that just kicked you back to the beginning. There was a stretch where Aerodactyl kept showing up, needing to crit a Hyper Beam to prevent me from winning. Then it happened two tries in a row. Over the years I've seen that Aerodactyl get far more crits than it should considering it holds PSNCureBerry in Round 1. Round 2 has higher potential to screw you over with King's Rock, but that Aerodactyl's been tame in the few times I've faced it.

But no, its antics don't stop there. It's even worse in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, at least in PMD Blue. You get to the final part of the main story, Sky Tower, with your surprisingly overpowered Skitty (thanks, Doubleslap mechanics!), and go through the first floors which have the also very annoying Shuppet and Shedinja, Pokemon that can just go through walls. Then you hit the higher floors, and you see Aerodactyl. Maybe it's in a Monster House with a lot of other Pokemon, or maybe it's in one of those large floors with corridors in the middle. It doesn't really matter, because every close enemy now attacks or moves twice in a turn. It can also set cringe with Bite and confuse you with Supersonic. Now add that it's usually in floors teeming with the likes of Flygon, Salamence, and Metagross and you can just lose. Oh, and Venomoth is also on some of those floors, and Agility gives more chances to Silver Wind and boost every opponent's stats at once. There's a reason Rayquaza stays up on that roof: to avoid Aerodactyl.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I recently did playthroughs of Platinum and HeartGold, and my least favorite is by far Golbat. Not Zubat, Golbat. It's for a very specific reason that's probably just a me thing. Due to how I trained throughout HeartGold, I was stopping to grind in a lot of places with Golbat, and it always took two turns to knock out because the things I trained on it would always be just weak enough drop it to red health, without fail. Every single time. Sometimes the battles went on for longer because the Golbat would land a Confuse Ray and I would hit myself the next turn, which worsened the agony. I'm really interested to hear if anyone else has had this experience, because it seems like the kind of thing that only happens under very specific conditions, but I swear I burst a blood vessel trying to train a Jynx on Golbat in the Ice Path.

Bronzor was also an annoyance because I had to waste a turn figuring out its ability every time, but at least it's somewhat rare in Platinum and basically nonexistent in HeartGold.

I'm also actually going to have to disagree with the general consensus regarding Pokémon being grouped together in Black/White. I really like the way they set that up, because the patterns are pleasing to my monkey brain, but I can see why people would find it annoying, especially when you're fighting the same three monkeys on every route.

Many Pokemon in Hoenn get on my nerves pretty consistently. Wingull line is the worst - it appears in most encounter tables and uses both Supersonic plus Protect in battles. Then there are multiple Pokemon with annoying abilities like Static and Effect Spore (Shroomish, Electrike, Voltorb) which trigger too often. I always associate Slateport with healing status effects. Lombre gets another mention for wasting everyone's time with Fake Out.

Gastly line can easily be rage inducing due to its learnset. Lick which can paralyze. Hypnosis which induces sleep. Confuse Ray which allows you to play russian roulette. Curse to force switches. This Pokemon was carefully crafted to be as annoying as possible.

Yungoos is another Pokemon I started to dislike lately. Its cry gets annoying and avoiding it in Verdant Cavern isn't easy.

In the White playthrough I did a few weeks ago, I ended up trying to beat the game with a team composed of Serperior, Unfezant, Krookodile, Scrafty, Carracosta, and Haxorus.

Of these six Pokémon, the ONLY Special Attack I had was Carracosta's Surf. No, this was no try to beat the game with only physical attackers - it just happened to be the case and I didn't mind it much.

At least, until I had to level up all Pokémon to 48, which meant training in Victory Road.

Do you know who likes to face a team of physical attackers, of which no one resists Steel and only one resists Bug, and of which no one knows a single Fire-type attack?

:bw/durant:

Training against the wild Boldores wasn't a fun experience either, but at least they don't hit like a truck.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
In the White playthrough I did a few weeks ago, I ended up trying to beat the game with a team composed of Serperior, Unfezant, Krookodile, Scrafty, Carracosta, and Haxorus.

Of these six Pokémon, the ONLY Special Attack I had was Carracosta's Surf. No, this was no try to beat the game with only physical attackers - it just happened to be the case and I didn't mind it much.

At least, until I had to level up all Pokémon to 48, which meant training in Victory Road.

Do you know who likes to face a team of physical attackers, of which no one resists Steel and only one resists Bug, and of which no one knows a single Fire-type attack?

:bw/durant:
This is why I trained on Audino on the route before Victory Road.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I apparently never put in my two cents’ worth in this discussion, but I guess it’s better late than never. After all, life is all fun and games until you’re face to face with this stupid thing.

39D27D02-95F7-47A3-81CE-ADB4BD477E80.png

(Extra thanks to Dire Dire Docks for the help!)

Let me ask you a question. Has there ever been that one Pokémon growing up that just feels like it was designed to be a pain in the back? Such a Pokémon definitely existed for me, and knowing how much I used to over-exaggerate things, I even convinced myself I had a genuine irrational fear of this seahorse in general, because this thing always found a way to tick me off. I really wish I could over-exaggerate how this feels like a personal curse on me.

What exactly made Kingdra scary to me? I think it had something to do with the combination of the intimidating look on its face and the endless spamming of the most annoying moves. We’ve got SmokeScreen on Clair’s, a freaking Yawn stall set in the PWT in Black & White 2 (if I remember correctly it’s on Lance’s), powerful Dragon STABs in games where you just don’t get counterplay options yet, and I haven’t even mentioned two more in different Gen 3 games I haven’t played through yet. (One is Juan’s in Emerald, and the other is from XD: Gale of Darkness.)

I know I’m not alone in my sheer hatred of this otherwise really cool Pokémon. I once saw some YouTuber complain about this too. It’s just not my fault that this thing is out for blood every time we cross paths. Note that I only really play the older pre-Fairy games too, and the combination of Hydro Pumps, Dragon Pulses, and Hyper Beams have left me in a pickle in Johto back in the day more times than I can count growing up.

Last edited:

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
Surprisingly, the Pokemon that has caused me the most annoyance BY FAR is Wobbuffet. That barf balloon got me to lose a 208-win streak at the Sapphire battle tower without even losing (see my post in the weird experiences thread), when I encounter it in the wild it traps with Shadow Tag and counters/mirror coats all my moves forcing me to catch it to avoid trouble (particularly in FireRed where I train my stronger Pokemon in Cerulean Cave) and there's a going trend on Pokemon showdown where there are trolls who will bring teams of six Wobbuffets and try to get you to send out a Pokemon with no attack moves just to create an annoying "battle" that never ends just for fun! I've encountered two different people like this, one of who even contacted me through find a user and would incessantly mess with me for no reason at all!
FUCKING SHIT WOBBUFFET!!!.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)