Other Metagames [AG] Double Trap, Double Dragon Bulky Offense (1776 Elo, 87.1% GXE)

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I'm relatively new to AG (coming from Ubers), but I made this team and managed to get very high on ladder pretty quickly. The team performs consistently and matches up decently well against a lot of playstyles. Proof:

It seems to be effective, so I'm sharing this here for others to use. I also want tips from veteran AG players on what I can do to improve this team. Let's get into the Pokemon:

Zygarde-Complete @ Leftovers
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Rest

Zygarde is the first of the mons this team was built around. The EV spread maximizes physical bulk, letting it live strong hits like +1 Dragon Ascent from LO Mray and +2 Precipice Blades from Pdon in its 50% forme. The 12 SpD lets it tank defensive Xerneas' Moonblast before transformation, so its not easily revenge killed once it sets up.

To use, trap something that cannot 4HKO it with Thousand Waves (ie Ferrothorn for example), then use DD and Rest until you're at +6. Then in most cases you can sweep the opponent's team, you might need a bit of chip on fatmons like defensive Xerneas/Kyogre and support arcs, so try to get hazards up beforehand.

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Confide
- Charm
- Taunt
- Rest

Goth is the second mon this team is built around. The idea is, you can use Thousand Waves with Zygarde, and if the opp switches to their supportceus then you can go to Gothitelle without any fear of a double switch from them. If the opp decides to stay in with their setup bait mon like Groudon, then you sweep them. So it essentially forces a "win-win" scenario unless the opp switches straight into a more offensive check to Zygarde like Kyogre/Xerneas, which can be whittled down over time.

Trapping support arcs also greatly benefits other members of the team, like Poisonceus/Ferro (trapping foggers so they keep their hazards up, trapping defensive steels) and Mray (trapping fat arc formes that wall it).

Arceus-Poison @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 8 Def / 148 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Poison Jab
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Poisonceus checks Fairies for Zygarde and Marsh (which potentially has HP Ice for Zygarde). About 80% of the time I like to lead with this and click rocks, it's rather hard to force out since it's very bulky and immune to Toxic. There's very little chance of the opponent leading Pdon when they see 2 Pdon counters at Team Preview, and Mray leads are so common. Even if they do lead Pdon, I can sack Poisonceus if I don't need it for anything, and the opp is inclined to overpredict when they see Mray in the back. Obviously, if they lead something like Necro or Mray, you will want to use wisp first. If they attempt to go something like Groundceus or Steelceus and defog your rocks, you just go Goth, trap them, and get em right back up.

Wisp on Poisonceus is really great in general for neutering threats. For example once you wisp Necro, Ferrothorn basically walls it and uses it as Spikes fodder, they have no chance of breaking Ferro unless they manage to boost to +6 then use the Z-move (which you can scout with Protect). Zygarde can more setup on a burned Necro much more easily, and it's easier for Goth to trap burned steels.

The EV spread is standard, stolen from the analysis.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 188 Atk / 68 Def / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Draco Meteor
- V-create
- Surf

The team's speed control and revenge killer and the lord of AG, Mray. You have his great dual STAB moves with Dragon Ascent being the most spammable move, Draco Meteor killing walls like Zygarde/Giratina, and V-create murking most Steels that resist them. Surf usually OHKOs Pdon, hitting it harder than Waterfall due to Pdon's low SpD. The EVs let you survive +1 LO Mray's Extreme Speed after rocks, so in an emergency you can speed tie when attempting to revenge kill it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Ferro is the primary Kyogre/secondary Fairy answer on the team, and Spikes support is really great for whittling down teammates' checks ie. most Flying resists for Mray and putting Supportceus in 2HKO range. Gyro Ball does more damage to Fairies, Mray, and Mgar so it is chosen over Power Whip.

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Recover
- Defog

The team needed a defogger and a check to Ghost-types like Lunala/Mgar for Goth. Arceus-Dark performs these roles, and it has amazing defensive synergy with Poisonceus as well since the latter resists Fighting/Fairy, while it checks Psychics and Ghosts. The EV spread lets you outspeed Adamant Mray and Yveltal, so you can use Toxic on the latter before it Taunts you.

Threats
  • Mega Rayquaza - Draco Meteor is pretty threatening to the team, the only Dragon resist is Ferro and there's obviously no way your're switching that into Mray. Honestly just don't switch out of it until you're absolutely sure of its set. In theory, SD + Life Orb + Jolly should 6-0 the team after one turn of setup, but I've yet to run into such a set.
  • Zygarde - This team has no way of hitting it supereffectively, other than our own Rayquaza's Draco Meteor. Obviously you don't want to get Mray Glare'd either. The most common variant is the defensive set with Coil, to handle this you can go to your own Zygarde, wait until they setup a couple of boosts, then go Mray on a turn you're sure they'll Coil and OHKO it with Draco Meteor.
  • Arceus-Steel - Another tricky one. Support is no problem because you trap it with Goth, but CM variants can be problematic. Usually, go into Ferrothorn first. Steelceus walls Ferro, but only way it can break it of course is to set up CMs, so you leech them and get up a couple of Spikes, and on a turn you're positive they're going for another CM/Earth Power go into Mray and OHKO with V-create.
  • There is also no Ice-resistant Pokemon, so in theory something like Kyurem-W could be problematic. However, most of the team outspeeds that particular Pokemon, Ferro can scout with Protect/threaten with Gyro, etc. Most Ice attacks are beams from support arcs which Gothitelle/Ferro easily tank.
  • Although I've not run into it yet, Sub + Bulk Up Marsh is definitely a threat because it can bypass our usual Marsh checks in Zygarde/Poisonceus, and it hits Ferro/Darkceus/Goth supereffectively. You will have to ensure its sub is broken then revenge kill it with Mray.
  • Baton Pass - There's no Perish Song/Roar on this team since I couldn't find a place to fit it. I really wanted to keep Wisp on Poisonceus for Steel-types and Toxic on Darkceus for Yveltal/opposing Darkceus. I don't really have a good strategy for Baton Pass teams, I have no experience with them from Ubers.
Replays
Importable

https://pokepast.es/f0d8b05c7e9f9e9e

Last edited:

Unicorns

Banned deucer.
Hey! Really cool team. I think it looks generally solid overall and uses an under-utilized threat in Goth.

As a preface, Goth doesn't really belong on anything more offensive than balance imo, so most of my suggestions would push towards a more balance/defensive team. So like in theory, a double-trap core sounds like it'd destroy the metagame, with Goth picking apart balance and semistall and Waves Zygarde beating Groudon bulky offense, Exca HO, and certain bad players (ie. - me) that chokes games away. The two playstyle issues we face then are any other hyper offense (most notably PsySpam and/or Xern + trap) and stall, as well as the mentioned BP and para-spam.

The most common stall team has three mons immune to trapping, so I would opt for stallbreak Zygarde. This change pairs well with Goth as it can remove the troublesome support Arc's.

Without trying to change too much of the rest of the team, you could also opt for Roar on Arc-Poison over Stealth Rock and move it to Ferro over Spikes. This helps versus PsySpam Xern (in the 1v1), CM Arc's (temporarily), the theoretical Sub Bulk Marshadow (fairly rare), and (most importantly) BP.

Here's a paste of the changes:
https://pokepast.es/bf969ac937c5fd2d

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)