SV OU Attempt at a balanced offensive team

Hello! I haven't been on the competitive smogon scene in quite some time so I am a little rusty when it comes to team building and it looks like the OU meta is still in the formative stage so I have been struggling for a decent team comp, but I have had some mixed success with this team line up. The basic strategy I have been using is to either lead with Clodsire or Amoongus depending on the enemy team comp and then following up with one of my sweepers, or if I need an offensive wall Garganacl.
I seem to have the most trouble dealing with moushold and goldengho (but who doesn't?). I have been using Chi-Yu as a counter to goldengho and I usually try to put moushould to sleep using spore on Amoongus and then switch into something that can out right kill it or use giga drain or sludge bomb until it dies (this is especially effective if they try to set up using tide-up, but risky if they go straight for the population bomb, which is why I have Amoongus' terra type set to ghost.

I know that there are likely obvious flaws and weaknesses to this team, out side of having 3 weakness to fairy and fighting respectively, but without further-adoo here is the team.

Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Poison Jab
- Stealth Rock

My primary lead. I use it to set up stealth rocks and toxic spikes. Recover is for longevity and poison jab is for some stab damage and potentially poisoning an enemy. If the opponent has moushold I will usually lead with Amoongus instead to attempt to sleep it. I am thinking of swapping out toxic spikes for toxic or earthquake instead though. Other roles include special def wall. Water Abosorb was chosen to nullify a weakness and allow it to safely swap into water type attacks that would be used against Chi-Yu or Garganacl.

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Sludge Bomb

My secondary/backup lead. Primarily used as a lead if the opponent has moushold as I can terrastalize into the ghost type and then use spore to sleep them while avoiding the go to population bomb, I can then use sludge bomb to attack them. Leftovers and regenerator and giga drain are for longevity and for some grass stab if not terrestilized. Toxic is an odd choice I know, but should toxic spikes be removed or if Amoongus is the lead instead (and I am not facing down moushold any longer or a poison or steel type) it gives me an option for dealing with another defensive mon that would otherwise be absolutly annoying if not impposible to deal with. I am definitely open to changing toxic out for something else though. When not serving as a lead that make for a good special damage sponge/wall.

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Salt Cure
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

The primary role of Garganacl is to serve as a physically defensive wall with enough offense to be able to hit back whatever hits him. Capable of tanking one round of moushold's population bomb and counter attacking, but likely won't survive a second population bomb and usually can't KO moushold unless it has already taken some damage. Salt Cure is for stab and status damage, Earth Quake and Ice Punch are for coverage (Ice Punch is especially useful against all the physically offensive dragons running around OU right now) and recover is for longevity and pairs really well with Salt Cure and leftovers.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump

A special sweeper/wall breaker. I chose Choice Specs for the increased damage, but I realize that choice scarf could also be used (though I find scarf more situationally useful). I'm not sure why the team builder went with 0 atk IVs but I am guessing that it is to weaken foul play? Infiltrator is the ability of choice as it gets around screens and substitutes. I went with the ghost terra type over dragon because I am expecting dragon, fairy, or ice type moves to be more commonly used than dark (though I could be mistaken in this) and this will eliminate several weaknesses and giving me only two (ghost and dark). I went with the special attacking variant over the physical one because it seems as though there are more special moves to choose from and they give a wider range of coverage. Shadow Ball and Draco Meteor are for stab, flamethrower and hydro pump are for coverage.

Chien-Pao @ Life Orb
Ability: Sword of Ruin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Sacred Sword
- Crunch
- Ice Spinner

My Physical Sweeper. Life orb was chosen for increased damage and because Chien-Pao is a bit of a glass cannon anyway so taking damage from life orb in order to dish out heavy damage without restricting my moves is worth it to me. Ice shard is for stab priority and is more reliable than sucker punch I think. Sacred Sword is for coverage, Crunch is for stab with a chance to lower the def of anything that survives it, and Ice Spinner is for a stronger ice stab when I am not expecting a priority move (outside of opposing sucker punch, extreme speed, first impression, etc..).

Chi-Yu @ Expert Belt
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Lava Plume
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse

My other special sweeper (and potential wall breaker?). Again not sure why the team builder auto set the attack IVs to 0. Nasty plot is primarily for dealing with special walls and to guarentee ohkos (though I think in most circumstances nasty plot is overkill and I am thinking about changing it to something else I just don't know what since the move pool for Chi-Yu is very limited with little coverage). Lava Plum and Dark Pulse are for stab and coverage along with the chance to burn/flinch respectively and Psychic is for coverage. I chose expert belt because It can potentially increase the damage from Psychic to help with an ohko if needed if there isn't time to set up a nasty plot, but I also just didn't know what else to put on it (maybe a balloon to give it some immunity to ground?)

Please let me know what you think of this team and how you think it can be improved.

Tuthur

haha
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hello, I've tried your team and I'd like to suggest some changes.

I struggled to make good use of your offensive core. I just couldn't get them enough on the field and the team felt kinda passive as a result. This is due to Chien-Pao and Chin-Yu getting too easily weakened by the combination of Life Orb and hazards (especially since you don't have removal), on top of having not so great defensive stats. Without any VoltTurn users, it is impossible to get them safely on the field, except if making crazy predictions. So the first changes, I made was changing Chien-Pao's and Chin-Yu's items to Heavy-Duty Boots, and giving Dragapult U-turn over Hydro Pump; on a surface level it means Dragapult will struggle harder into the likes of Garganacl, Unaware Clodsire, and Ting-Lu, but in practice, it just gives Dragapult more flexibility and lets you retain momentum.

The second change was revamping your defensive core. Corviknight just felt like an amazing replacement to Amoonguss, giving you crucial resistances to a lot of typing, especially Ground and to Maushold that you seem to despise, and an additional U-turn user. I also eddited Clodsire set as the coverage from Earthquake was really needed as this Clodsire felt too passive. Unaware also seemed more useful as Water-types like Rotom-W, Quaquaval, and Azumarill aren't that annoying, while being able to 1v1 most tera users was much more useful. I also gave Garganacl the good Garganacl set which Iron Defense which is just amazing and can be tera into Water to make up for the weaknesses of the defensive core.

Here is the new team I used! Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog

Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Stealth Rock

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Salt Cure
- Body Press
- Iron Defense

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Chien-Pao @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sword of Ruin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Sacred Sword
- Crunch
- Ice Spinner

Chi-Yu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Lava Plume
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

So I have been trying out your team comp and it works really well. I am still having some major issues with Annihilape, I'm not sure what it is but It seems impossible to actually get rid of without losing half my team to it, its not even able to be one shot by full power Draco Meteor from Dragapult even with chip damage on it. Am I missing something or is Annihilape just that good?

Tuthur

haha
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So I have been trying out your team comp and it works really well. I am still having some major issues with Annihilape, I'm not sure what it is but It seems impossible to actually get rid of without losing half my team to it, its not even able to be one shot by full power Draco Meteor from Dragapult even with chip damage on it. Am I missing something or is Annihilape just that good?
Annihilape was under the radar the last time the OU council communicated about tiering actions and received several votes for a quickban. So yeah, it is quite an impressive Pokemon, I invite you to watch Freezai's video about it if you want more information.

The way I've been dealing with annihilape was by trading a Pokemon, usually one of Chi-Yu or Dragapult, against it and finishing the job with one of the attackers. It is quite tidious and a well played Annihilape can be a real pain for you. Playing aggressively is often a good solution, even if it is easier said than done.

Annihilape was under the radar the last time the OU council communicated about tiering actions and received several votes for a quickban. So yeah, it is quite an impressive Pokemon, I invite you to watch Freezai's video about it if you want more information.

The way I've been dealing with annihilape was by trading a Pokemon, usually one of Chi-Yu or Dragapult, against it and finishing the job with one of the attackers. It is quite tidious and a well played Annihilape can be a real pain for you. Playing aggressively is often a good solution, even if it is easier said than done.
Thanks for the info.
I should also mention that I swapped Taunt out on Chi-Yu for Psychic as I haven't really run into any situations where taunt is preferable over Psychic.

Thanks for all your help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)