Other Metagames Balanced Hackmons - No Safe Switches

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus

INTRODUCTION
Welcome to my latest RMT! This team sticks out to me because it had great success on the ladder and featured some sets and mons I had never used before. There are a lot of familiar faces that are just playing slightly different roles than normal. As for my success on the ladder, so far I've played 135 games with this team and have gone 118-17. Working my way through the lower ladder was easier, as I went 46-4, but I still went 40-10 once I got into mid and high ladder games. I also used this team to get the reqs for the most recent sleep suspect, and I think this helps to show the team's consistency. My inspiration for the team started with the offensive core of Scrappy Mega Mewtwo X and Tinted Lens Kartana. The rest of the team developed around protecting and improofing these two mons. I think that's enough for the building process, so I'll get right to the team.

THE TEAM

Gardevoir-Mega @ Toxic Orb

Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Psystrike
- Lovely Kiss / Spore
The best Fairy-type Poison Heal sweeper is Xerneas, by far, but Mega Gardevoir has a niche thanks to its dual STAB and ability to hit Primal Kyogre where it hurts with Psystrike. Using Gardevoir sacrifices a lot of bulk (68 / 65 / 135 compared to 126 / 95 / 99) to gain a more powerful Moonblast. Gardevoir's Moonblast is 18.5% stronger than that of Xerneas, which means it is guaranteed to 2HKO Zygarde-C and Giratina unboosted while Xerneas is not. Lovely Kiss is broken and annoying and can pay off big time by sleeping goggle wearing Steel-types and Prankster Hazers. Spore is a safer option, but is not recommended to use unless you also run Knock Off on Yveltal. This set is slightly self-improof with sleep, but it gets sketchy with Lovely Kiss's accuracy. If needed, Kartana can resist a hit (or dodge sleep) and hit even Eviolite Imposter for massive damage.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Photon Geyser
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
The most common switch in for MMX is definitely Giratina, closely followed by Aegislash, Mega Sableye, and then there's Cresselia. Well this set ignores common walls counting on immunities and hits them for surprise big damage. This set even has a slight chance to OHKO Fur Coat Mega Sableye from full. +Def Giratina (non Prankster) is a guaranteed 2HKO. This set is designed to spam Close Combat and surprise Ghost-types. Photon Geyser is for Shedinja and Fur Coat variants of Zygarde-C and Giratina. U-turn hits hard on the switch with Choice Band and Stealth Rocks are useful whenever an opportunity comes to set them. Choice Band and Adamant nature are used for the maximum damage output. Banded Photon Geyser also hits Imposter for a decent chunk. Giratina can come in on Imposter and quickly heal away any hit it takes. Gardevoir can even come in and activate its Toxic Orb if needed, as Photon Geyser from Imposter is a 3HKO and Gardevoir can start setting up.

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Power Whip
- Bullet Punch
- V-create
Kartana is probably the biggest Steel-type lure in the game outside of Mega Diancie. This set doesn't care who switches in, it just spams Sunsteel Strike and ignores typing and abilities. Sunsteel 2HKOs the common Steel-type walls like Registeel, Aegislash, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane and Dialga. The less common Mega Aggron and Mega Steelix dodge the 2HKO from Sunsteel but risk a OHKO from V-Create. Sunsteel is the most spammable and important move in the set. Power Whip has double the PP and can be useful for guaranteed big damage on Water-types as well as hitting Giratina and Zygarde-C harder than Sunsteel does. Bullet Punch is useful for 1v1's with Mega Diancie and finishing off faster frail foes at low health. V-Create does the same damage to Giratina as Power Whip does and also OHKOs Eviolite Imposter if they try to hard switch in on it. If Imposter comes in on any other move, Giratina can switch in and improof this set as long as it is above 50% health. Choice Band and Adamant nature are used here too for the maximum damage output.

Chansey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Happiness: 0
Calm Nature
- Parting Shot
- Spikes
- Recover
- Whirlwind
Yes, you're seeing this correctly, Loser is using Imposter Chansey. This is the first serious team I've ever made that uses Imposter Chansey and it is used very sparingly. Chansey's primary role on this team is to counter setup sweepers that aren't self-improof (self-improof would be Plate holders, Unburden, etc). The Choice Scarf allows Chansey to out speed and usually defeat foes like Triage Mega Rayquaza, Contrary MMY, and Shell Smash sweepers. Yveltal is bulky enough to survive most hits from such foes and slow U-turn in to Chansey, which can help break sashes too. Chansey can very sparingly come in on -ate users like Diancie and Kyurem, but must be careful since the added bulk is missing Eviolite boosts. Chansey is efficient at this role but is not designed to switch into each and every opposing wall. The scarf limits Chansey's ability to freely chose moves and can be a big momentum drain if it comes in against certain walls. On this topic, opposing Imposter users love to come in on Giratina, and in those instances Chansey can come in and freely set Spikes. Chansey will rarely be un-transformed but the moveset above contains some useful moves. Zero Happiness investment rarely comes into play, but is useful against Frustration users.

Giratina @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Calm Nature
- Strength Sap
- Haze / Encore
- Core Enforcer
- Milk Drink / Shore Up / Heal Order / You get the point
This is pretty standard Prankster Giratina in the current meta. Strength Sap is super useful against non Dark-type and non Dazzling Physical attackers, like Mega Garchomp, Kartana, Primal Groudon, and certain MMX variants. Haze deals with almost every setup sweeper by eliminating their boosts. Encore is a riskier option that can be used to lock opponents into a useless move. Core Enforcer is useful for forcing out non Fairy-type Poison Heal foes as well as hitting opposing Dragon-types for super effective damage. Recovery outside of Strength Sap is mandatory and Milk Drink is my move of choice on this set. Safety Goggles help avoid Spore and weather chip damage. A Calm nature is chosen to better survive Special Attacks, since Strength Sap patches up Giratina's Defense stat. This helps Giratina take on Special Attackers such as Primal Kyogre and, if healthy enough, Triage Mega Rayquaza. Speed investment looks strange with Core Enforcer, but 279 speed is slow enough to move after most offensive foes and fast enough to attack or heal against a wall, even if Prankster is removed.

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Revelation Dance
- U-turn
-Pursuit / Knock Off
Standard RegenVest Yveltal helps this team not auto-lose to Mega Gengar. Given the rest of the team's structure, Yveltal has a lot of role compression. Rapin Spin as the only hazard removal is less than ideal, but is effective for Yveltal on this team as it and the breakers can pressure common spinblockers. Revelation Dance is a spammable move for hitting Ghost- and Psychic-types hard, namely Mega Gengar. U-turn with no speed investment allows for a fairly slow pivot to bring teammates in safely. Pursuit is extremely useful for nailing frail foes like certain Mega Gengar and MMY sets that don't want to stay in on Yveltal. Knock Off is an alternative utility move that can remove useful items while also supporting Gardevoir if it is running Spore. A Sassy nature is used along with the Assault Vest to maximize Yveltal's special bulk so that it can survive powerful special hits and safely pivot out. Imposters of Yveltal can't do much to it and Gardevoir can also come in an take advantage of them.

DEALING WITH COMMON THREATS

• Mega Diancie can be a big threat to this team. Kartana is the only resist and is by no means a Boomburst switch in. Chansey can come in as Imposter, but it also doesn't like taking Boomburst when it is holding a Choice Scarf. However, Chansey normally forces Mega Diancie out and Kartana hits it with Bullet Punch before it can Boomburst or hit it with V-Create. The key is to limit Mega Diancie's chances to come in by applying pressure with MMX, Kartana, and Gardevoir.
  • Poison Heal Regigigas with Knock Off + Spore is always a pain, but MMX and Kartana pressure it offensively before any boosts and Giratina forces it out with Core Enforcer, Haze, and Strength Sap.
  • Mega Rayquaza's various offensive sets can all pose threats to the team, but usually the combination of a slow U-turn by Yveltal into Scarf Chansey handles sets such as Contrary, Aerilate, and Triage.
  • Most Mega Gengar sets are handled or forced out by Yveltal. Revelation Dance hits every Mega Gengar hard and Pursuit can nail it on the switch out. Also, Gardevoir has enough special bulk to survive unboosted Spooky Judgment on a roll (37.5% to OHKO from full), so if needed it can risk staying in to put Gengar to sleep or KO it with Psystrike.
  • Mega Mewtwo Y is generally handled the same way as Mega Rayquaza. Yveltal can typically take whatever MMY throws at it, outside of Sheer Force Life Orb Bolt Strike, and U-turn out to a teammate according to MMY's set.
POSSIBLE THREATS

• Both Kyurem Black and White are difficult to play around since there is no Ice resist on this team. Kartana can handle Kyu-B if healthy enough and Chansey can come in on Kyu-W, but it takes a big hit from Specs Boomburst. Getting rocks up and keeping MMX and Kartana healthy is key to dealing with these two.
  • Poison Heal MMX with Knock Off + Spore can be annoying to deal with. Giratina can force it out, but sleep rolls can determine who wins the 1v1. MMX and Kartana don't want their Bands knocked off and Yveltal wants to keep its Assault Vest. Depending on coverage moves, Gardevoir can set up and take out PH MMX.
  • Poison Heal Xerneas sweeper sets can cause issues to any team and can pose a big threat if it gets setup and carries the right coverage. Kartana out speeds and KO's Modest Xerneas but has to be wary of Magma Storm variants. Gardevoir can setup alongside Xerneas and hit it for big damage with Psystrike, but this is risky.
CONCLUSION
I think this team is fairly well rounded and can deal with its weaknesses with smart playing. Applying pressure first by surprising walls with big dents helps get momentum going and can open up space for Gardevoir to come in and clean up late game. This team does well against stall thanks to its unique wallbreakers and holds its own against offensive with the combination of Yveltal, Giratina, and Scarf Imposter. It is a fun team to play with, as I always like trying out more creative offensive sets.

SOME REPLAYS

IMPORTABLE

Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Psystrike
- Lovely Kiss

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Photon Geyser
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Power Whip
- Bullet Punch
- V-create

Chansey @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Happiness: 0
Calm Nature
- Parting Shot
- Spikes
- Recover
- Whirlwind

Giratina @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Calm Nature
- Strength Sap
- Haze
- Core Enforcer
- Milk Drink

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Revelation Dance
- U-turn
- Pursuit

SHOUTOUTS

• DarkRisingRay - My bro and fellow Scrappy MMX user. Thanks for always being cool and discussing new ideas with me. Sorry for using Imposter lol.
  • DarkBeserker - Its always fun building teams with you and seeing you get better at mons. Keep learning and quit rage quitting and you can only go up.
  • Thanks to the peeps on BH Discord for actually keeping up meta discussion and being helpful to those who ask questions.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I feel like your Gardevoir could replace a Sleep move with a Fighting move like Secret Sword. Not only does it hit on the Defense, (which helps vs Sandstream Tyranitar), but it is 4x resisted by itself so Imposter cannot exploit it.

This also allows you to switch from Psystrike to Photon Geyser, which means Shedinja cannot threaten it, and Unaware users cannot just Wall it.

Plus Imposter won’t be able to break past it as easily as it could with Psystrike (say they activated Sleep Clause on another teammate and so you cannot Sleep Imposter). Quiver Dance means Imposter can set up and use Psystrike which is only 2x resisted but gets STAB, letting it still scare Gardevoir-Mega to an extent).

Fighting moves can threaten things like Flash Fire/Magic Bounce Registeel, RegenVest Dialga, and can hurt Normal types like Regigigas that occasionally pack Spectral Thief.

Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Photon Geyser
- Secret Sword

By offering a way to threaten Steels, as well as RegenVesters, while maintaining the ultimate advantage over Xerneas (STAB Photon Geyser), you can build up lots of power. If you fear Imposter, just know it cannot do much to you. It would take +6 SpA to negate the 4X resistance to Secret Sword, so Imposter cannot break you as easily.

Photon Geyser>Psystrike if you can fit Secret Sword.
Consider how Sleep Clause limits Lovely Kiss and Spore.
It’s basically a useless move if the foe keeps a Pokémon asleep.
The above Hidden tip is just for Gardevoir, allowing it to stay mixed but offer more variety.

a loser

is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I feel like your Gardevoir could replace a Sleep move with a Fighting move like Secret Sword. Not only does it hit on the Defense, (which helps vs Sandstream Tyranitar), but it is 4x resisted by itself so Imposter cannot exploit it.

This also allows you to switch from Psystrike to Photon Geyser, which means Shedinja cannot threaten it, and Unaware users cannot just Wall it.

Plus Imposter won’t be able to break past it as easily as it could with Psystrike (say they activated Sleep Clause on another teammate and so you cannot Sleep Imposter). Quiver Dance means Imposter can set up and use Psystrike which is only 2x resisted but gets STAB, letting it still scare Gardevoir-Mega to an extent).

Fighting moves can threaten things like Flash Fire/Magic Bounce Registeel, RegenVest Dialga, and can hurt Normal types like Regigigas that occasionally pack Spectral Thief.

Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Photon Geyser
- Secret Sword

By offering a way to threaten Steels, as well as RegenVesters, while maintaining the ultimate advantage over Xerneas (STAB Photon Geyser), you can build up lots of power. If you fear Imposter, just know it cannot do much to you. It would take +6 SpA to negate the 4X resistance to Secret Sword, so Imposter cannot break you as easily.

Photon Geyser>Psystrike if you can fit Secret Sword.
Consider how Sleep Clause limits Lovely Kiss and Spore.
It’s basically a useless move if the foe keeps a Pokémon asleep.
The above Hidden tip is just for Gardevoir, allowing it to stay mixed but offer more variety.
Thanks for the tip, but seeing as MMX and Kartana are both capable of handling Steel-types and Sandstream Ttar, I think Gardevoir is fine without the extra coverage. Even with the potential sleep clause, one sleeping foe gives Gardevoir a chance to setup.

As for switching Psystrike to Photon Geyser, Psystrike already hits Primal Kyogre just as hard unboosted as Photon Geyser would at +1. Killing Shed would be nice, but Kartana and MMX also already do that. Gardevoir already 2HKOs common Unaware users, outside of the Mega Audino that you prefer, so I don't think picking up Photon is worth it.

Hi I just wanted to say that I love the plushies.

More replays against -ate mons would've been appreciated. Entrain could be used on Giratina as a good check as it means -ate mons don't rlly force you out ever.

I'm not sure how to feel about the nicher sets here. Considering every mon can threaten/annoy steels I think Steelworker Kartana would make your mu a lot better against prankster Giratina. I'm not sure how much you need to bait steels with an mmx set that can afford to always click cc.

Cool to see more offensive teams and underused mons.

a loser

Hi I just wanted to say that I love the plushies.

More replays against -ate mons would've been appreciated. Entrain could be used on Giratina as a good check as it means -ate mons don't rlly force you out ever.

I'm not sure how to feel about the nicher sets here. Considering every mon can threaten/annoy steels I think Steelworker Kartana would make your mu a lot better against prankster Giratina. I'm not sure how much you need to bait steels with an mmx set that can afford to always click cc.

Cool to see more offensive teams and underused mons.
Haha glad you liked them and thanks for the feedback! I didn't do a great job of saving replays with this team so unfortunately I don't have any against -ate mons. Diancie and Kyu are definitely tricky to play around as Scarf Chansey can quickly get worn down switching into Boomburst or other moves.

I think Entrainment on Giratina sounds like a good idea. Running Sap + Recover is already overkill on healing so I think replacing Sap with Entrainment could just let me have overkill on ability removal while letting me mess with Fairies too. I wouldn't want to replace Core since that would leave me with 4 status moves and that isn't always ideal.

I've considered trying Steelworker Kartana and might test a few games with it. Then I could maybe swap out Power Whip because I hardly ever click that move anyway.

I ran the team for a bit with some of the changes I suggested. Kyurem is honestly ok to deal with because it's well checked by MMX and Kart and Chansey doesn't take as much damage switching on it.
I would definitely keep entrain Giratina tho cause it really saved me a few times. Gives you a better check to a boosted Xern and just so much better against -ates. Had a crazy game on ladder I wanted to share https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-913929353 featuring PH Xern and Sky Plate Rayquaza (real pain to deal with).
Little Caveat tho, it makes you a lot weaker to imposter as you can't setup in its face anymore.

Overall just really happy with this from the limited usage I got out of the team, definitely a tournament level build. Just seems really solid all around.

Smal edit: managed to beat cityscapes' shed team (albeit not played by him) which I think is a testament to the viability of this team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)