Basking in the Sun (Gen V RMT)

Hello Smogon, and welcome to my first RMT! I've got a sun team that needs some help. After testing many, but not ALL, options, I found a team that is somewhat consistent, but needs serious improvements. I hope you can help!

At a Glance

[Ninetales, Latios, Doredia, Urugamosu, Hitmontop, Venusaur]

Ninetales @ Lum Berry
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Drought
-Will-O-Wisp
-Overheat
-Evil Eye
-Protect

Ninetales is, obviously, the sun setup of the team. With sun up, I can stay in and status the opponent, hit them for some damage, or scout a move. Evil Eye stops me from ending up walled by a Flash Fire user (although Heatran laughs at the set), as I've seen many FF Shanderas running around, bluffing the Shadow Tag. Will-O-Wisp is helpful, as turn-by-turn damage is useful, as well as halving the attack stat.

Another benefit of having sun up early is the Overheat boost, as well as removing my water weakness. I also get the options of Fire STAB on Hidden Powers on Latios and Doredia, and I can use Chlorophyll, Leaf Guard, and such.

Possible Changes: I might replace Protect for something else, and possibly Overheat for Fire Blast. I could replace Protect for Hypnosis, although its shaky accuracy could let me down.

EVs are to make Ninetales as fast as possible, and the HP is poured in to sponge some hits and increase her survivability. It's worked fine so far.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Levitate
-Trick
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios is a great member of this team, and a wonderful revenge-killer. He gets amazing Dragon-Fire coverage with Draco Meteor and Hidden Power, which is very helpful. Ice Beam kills other opposing dragons, and finally, once Latios is done, he can trick away his scarf and cripple some kind of wall, or if he survives a hit, I can switch with minimal fear.

EVs are somewhat self-explanatory, and they help Latios hit as hard and as fast as he can.

Possible Changes: I find that bulky waters can give me a small bit of trouble, so I might replace Ice Beam for Thunderbolt. Other than that, I can't think of replacing anything except for himself for Latias... But Latios is a bit stronger and faster.

Doredia @ Leftovers
194 Spe / 252 SpA / 60 HP / 4 SpD
Leaf Guard
Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
-Teeter Dance
-Butterfly Dance
-Solarbeam
-Hidden Power [Fire]

The status absorber of the team, and also an effective wall-breaker. Teeter dance helps confuse some other pokes, kind of self-explanatory. With Leaf Guard, Doredia can't be statused, and I can Butterfly dance on a switch.

Butterfly Dance is a wonderful stat-raiser. Its EVs make it so that after a Dance, she hits 394 Speed, and the SpA helps it hit hard. 4 SpD gives those Download users an attack boost.

Possible Changes: Maybe I'll replace Leaf Guard for Chlorophyll, but I'm not sure, as then there's a huge hole in the team that I may not be able to patch up. I may replace Teeter Dance for another status move, such as Leech Seed, Toxic, and Grasswhistle (although the latter's accuracy is terrible), but Toxic is absorbed by poison and steel types.

Urugamosu @ Leftovers
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Flame Body
-Butterfly Dance
-Flame Dance
-Hurricane
-Hidden Power [Ground]

Urugamosu in the sun is a complete BEAST. Butterfly dance, like with Doredia, boosts its stats amazingly, and it helps pave the way for Venusaur...
Flame Dance can give me a much-appreciated SpA boost as well as getting double STAB in sun, and Hidden Power Ground gives the alternate coverage.

Hurricane is great and has a chance to confuse my opponent, but its accuracy often lets me down (and, funny as it is, PO's description from the battle menu says 'Increases accuracy during weather (30%)' but they're LYING D:<).

Possible Changes: I may replace Hurricane, but I have no idea what with. Bug Buzz is an option, but then I'm walled by Gyarados (of course, then I could change Hidden Power to Rock-type, but then I have OTHER problems that wall Urugamosu)... Why did you have to get four-moveslot syndrome?

Hitmontop @ Focus Sash
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly (+Spe, -Atk)
Technician
-Mach Punch
-Rapid Spin
-Sucker Punch
-High Jump Kick

Ah, this guy's back from 4th gen UU, and he's been working pretty well. TechniTop provides the needed Rapid Spin and priority support for the team. Rapid Spin is invaluable to this team, as hazards limit Urugamosu's and Ninetale's time on the team to 2 and 4 switches, respectively. He has a sash in case hazards aren't up, and he can easily KO something and escape with the sash intact, but I know I need to replace it but can't decide what with.

Mach Punch is powerful with 90 base power coming off of Technician and STAB, and helps KO many things. Sucker Punch is a powerful priority attack as well and helps take care of ghosts that are immune to his fighting STAB. High Jump kick goes to 195 base power with STAB and kills more bulky things (or slower, non-priority users).

Its EVs are the only useful spread I can think of, max attack and speed.

Possible Changes: Obviously its item, I don't know what to put on it. Oddly enough, I considered a Heat Rock and replacing HJK for Sunny Day but haven't tested it yet, just in case Ninetales dies and Sandstorm or Rain takes over, but I'm not completely sure.

I also tested Forretress with a Custap-Sturdy-Explosion to give me at least a spin or some hazards on the team. I feel, however, that 'Top is much more consistent but sometimes I miss Forry's walling capabilities.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
252 HP / 208 SpA / 24 Def / 24 SpD
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Chlorophyll
-Energy Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power [Rock]
-Synthesis

The Chlorophyll sweeper! Once threats have been removed, sun's up, and the opponent's weakened, Venusaur is ready to demolish the rest and clean up the game. In sun, even with a Timid nature and no EVs, it reaches 214 speed, I believe, outspeeding most of the metagame. The rest of its EVs are in HP, SpA, and its defenses for added bulk and strength.

Energy Ball is a consistent Grass STAB. I chose it over Petal Dance and Solarbeam in case Sun isn't up, and because Petal Dance left me open to prediction. I also chose it over Giga Drain since I already have Synthesis which heals 2/3 of my HP in sun, 1/2 with no weather, and unfortunately 1/3 in the other weathers. Sludge Bomb gives a lot of neutral hits on things, and Hidden Power Rock gives some alternate coverage on flying- and fire-types.

Possible Changes: Sludge Bomb for something else? Hidden Power Rock to some other Hidden Power? Its SpA is very lacking, but it's one of the bulkier Chlorophyll users. Should I wipe this slot entirely and replace it with some other Chlorophyll user? I'm thinking of running Leafeon, but don't know what set to run.

POSSIBLE TEAM CHANGES: I could put Ninetales in second and lead with a Breloom (Would probably replace Venusaur, I really have no idea though) to take out one poke in the match early, and later send in Ninetales. I could replace Hitmontop with Forretress, allowing me to spin and set up hazards. I could also run only Ninetales and a Chlorophyll abuser, and fill the rest of the team with good support and offenses...

--
Well, that's the sun team. I hope you can help improve it to a much better level. I'm open to all suggestions (and will probably test them all). I'm also willing to change MOST of my team if I'm running Sun wrong.

Again, thanks for your help and for reading!

Threats:
1. Heatran
2. Shandera
3. Blaziken
4. Lucario (Hard to believe with all my fire moves, but his priority kills)
5. Roobushin

^I'm sure there's more, but I can't recall.

interesting team there. However some sets could be tweaked.

Ninetales @ Lum Berry
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Drought
-Will-O-Wisp
-Overheat
-Evil Eye- use energy ball
-Protect
i don't understand the reasoning on evil eye -,- Energy ball is by far the superior option. Balloon could also be an option since there has been a rise in sandstorm teams.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Levitate
-Trick
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power [Fire]
You may want to use psychic over ice beam since you can smack roobushin extremely hard with this.

Doredia @ Leftovers
194 Spe / 252 SpA / 60 HP / 4 SpD
Leaf Guard
Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
-Teeter Dance
-Butterfly Dance
-Solarbeam
-Hidden Power [Fire]
What is the point of this -.-. There are better status absorbers then this and he's walled easily due to the bad coverage from grass and fire moves. Machamp is probably a better status absorber AND can take hits better.
-------------------
Machamp@leftovers
ability: No guard
nature: adamant
252 hp 252 atk 4 spe
~dynamic punch
~payback / stone edge
~rest
~sleep talk
D punch + payback / stone edge have good coverage and d punch is a great move due to the fact that it has 100% confusion.
--------------------

Urugamosu @ Leftovers
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Flame Body
-Butterfly Dance
-Flame Dance
-Hurricane
-Hidden Power [Ground]
Overall the pokemon and set is fine but gale isn't needed. Bug buzz is the superior option (why would you use gale in the 1st place -.-) and hp rock over hp ground. Its better to hit gyrados + other stuff then maybe heatran or something.

Hitmontop @ Focus Sash
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly (+Spe, -Atk)
Technician
-Mach Punch
-Rapid Spin
-Sucker Punch
-High Jump Kick
A sashed spinner is retarded. Also high jump kick is way too risky becuase if you miss, you'll be taking a extremely heavy amount. Use 252 hp over 252 spe. Hitmontop doesn't really need speed since he's pretty bulky. Try drain punch over hi jump kick and stone edge over sucker punch since your pretty set up bait for sub CM shandera.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
252 HP / 208 SpA / 24 Def / 24 SpD
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Chlorophyll
-Energy Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power [Rock]
-Synthesis
Yay for venusaur. He's already good but maybe running sleep powder on the set would be better since he can sleep counters. Also hp fire over rock.... Hp fire is boosted by the sun and wats the point of hp rock when you have a stab'd sludge bomb?

Irkkk, thanks a lot for the help.

Regarding Ninetales, I... Don't know q.q I figured it was somewhat efficient. I think I'll keep the Lum Berry as it helps me a bit, but I will test out a balloon.

With Latios, I didn't think of that. I'll replace Ice beam with Psychic.

Doredia. She was actually very helpful to the team, but a restTalk Machamp probably does absorb status as she's very, very frail.

I've been waiting for good changes on Urugamosu, and HP Rock + Bug Buzz would definitely help a lot. I ran Huricane/Gale because Urugamosu could effectively abuse it (barring the annoying misses).

I agree, a sashed spinner is retarded but I couldn't think of anything else. What should he hold, then? Life Orb? Balloon (kinda pointless, lol, but still...)? Will change his moveset. He can't learn Drain Punch.

Venusaur... Is not turning out as well as I thought. Its SpA is terrible (reaches something like 286 -.-). I did try HP Fire last night, and I was walled by Heatran and most other fire-types. I can try Sleep Powder. Is there any possibility I could, I don't know, use Venusaur as a utility to sleep and wall things, and replace another member of the team and use Leafeon or something? >_>

i would go for a more straight out attacking venusaur than yours
Growth / swords dance
Power whip
Earthquake
hidden power (fire) / sleep powder / synthesis
the evs would depend on wether you chose hidden power fire or not

ok 1st off all for hitmontop, run leftovers! On the moth use hp rock because it killed other moths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)