Other Metagames [BH] Twin Dragons Offense

> Twin Dragons Offense: Balanced Hackmons RMT <

Introduction
This is my first Smogon RMT so please be gentle.
Its the begining of a new generation and the start of a new year, so to celebrate i decided to start a (hopefully) long and fruitful series of RMTs. Since the new generation brings a host of new unknown tools and strategies for teambuilding I decided to start with the play style I'm most familiar with: offense. So here it is!
Teambuilding Process
The first thing i decided was to build an offense team so i needed a heavy hitter to break through walls and checks to open the path to an eventual sweep. For this role I chose Choice Specs Aerilate Mega Ray as it hits hard and has a good speed and reasonable bulk.

Secondly I needed a sweeper to take advantage of the holes opened and I knew from a few battles that the meta was dominated by many 400+ speed pokemon so I would need something that could hit them hard and fast. Due to the new ways to stop priority in its tracks, and how well prepared most teams are for the more common threats I added a Quick Feet Mega Rayquaza to fight alongside it's twin.

Next I added a RegenVest Solgaleo as a way to imposter proof Rayquaza and also as a good defensive pivot to u-turn into Ray to provide opurtunities to break holes in their team or to activate the Flame Orb safely.

To complete a defensive core I added Poison Heal Zygarde Complete to soak up hits and status.

Since I still had no way to deal with priority form -ate and Triage I decided to use Psychic Surge Mega Mewtwo Y which doubles as a revenge killer and late game cleaner.

Finally I didn't want to lose to Deoxys-A spam so I added a banded Dazzling Pheromosa which also acted as another U-turn pivot.

After a few battles I realised I lost to anythign with a stat boosting move so replaced Zygarde with Unaware Mega Gyarados and made some other tweaks such as changing Pheromosa to scarf to better cope with high speed threats.

The Team

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Boomburst
- Extreme Speed
- Trick / Moongeist Beam
- Secret Sword / Technoblast

This is the wallbreaker of the team and does a ton of damage to anything that doesnt resist and most things that do. Boomburst is a button you click to kill things while extreme speed is for the rare cases wheere you really need some priority. The other moves are less important since I think they have been used about four times in total. Trick is to cripple the few walls you just can't break and their item can often reveal something important of their stategy while Moongeist Beam kills shedinja and does absolutely nothing else. Secret Sword is coverage for a few pokemon that resist flying attacks; I'm looking at you Tyranitar. Technoblast is for Soundproof things of which I've encountered only one. Other moves can be used in the last two slots such as a Dragon STAB.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Flame Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 27 SpD
- Spiky Shield / Moongeist Beam
- Oblivion Wing
- Tail Glow
- Clanging Scales

This is the real sweeper of the team, utilising the speed boost from quick feet to outspeed literally anything unboosted. As soon as Flame Orb activates it gets the equivilent speed of a scarfed veriety and becomes immune to any crippling status at the cost of 6.25% HP per turn with Tail Glow it becomes a deadly killer with the ability to kill most (non-Unaware) pokemon. Oblivion Wing is a spammable STAB that compensates for lost HP and Clanging Scales kills whatever just survives an O-Wing (bulky POgre, Giratina, Big Zig for example) with a defense drop as cost, but if you're getting hit after using it then something hasn't worked. Spiky Shield to scout and has seen good use in wasting Z-Moves precious 1pp for a trivial amount of damage and it also lets you get your orb activated in a pinch. Moongeist is again for shedinja but also a some Unaware Pokemon. 27 SpD IVs allow it to OHKO an imposter with Eviolite 100% of the time at +3 to avoid embarasing rolls (this is also why clanging scales is used over Core Enforcer).

Solgaleo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 22 Spe
- Sunsteel Strike
- Nuzzle
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

Standard RegenVest Solgaleo as a good defensive pivot used to eat up almost all special moves and get either Rayquaza in safely with U-turn (and to activate the Flame Orb). Rapid spin for hazards. Sunsteel Strike as a very good STAB move and Nuzzle cripples many offensive pokemon despite the Paralysis nerf and breaks sashes. Watch out for random Malicious Moonsaults or Soul stealing thingy on special sweepers.

Gyarados-Mega @ Rocky Helmet / Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Anchor Shot / Ice Hammer / Whirlwind
- Spectral Thief
- Knock Off
- Roost

I replaced Zygarde with this for two main reasons: to help with my weakness to Ice and Ghost type moves and to give me a way of countering Setup sweepers that wasnt the X-button. Knock Off helps to weaken enemy pokemon by moving their (presumably?) useful items. Spectral Thief is to take opposing boosting efforts and turn them on their head - ideally to countersweep. Roost is to give the hard working gyarados a rest and let it recover from the effort of stopping sweeps all day. Anchor Shot to trap imposters and to hit Mega Audino, Ice Hammer to sort of imposter proof Quick Feet Ray in an absolute emergency and to hit Zygarde for some meaningful damage; Whirlwind to phase what you can't beat (normal types in a Sub). Rocky Helmet to deal some extra damage or Goggles beacause my team is hilariously weak to Spore.

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam
- Psystrike
- Genesis Supernova

Standard Psychic Surge MMY to hit hard and fast, while also supporting my team against priority. Genesis Supernova and Psystrike hit against both sides of defense and like a truck with the LO, STAB and Terrain boosts. Ice Beam for Rayquaza and Zygarde (and also can revenge my Rays when impostered if something goes wrong). Moongeist Beam kills shedinja and psychic types (although Psystrike often does more).

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 188 Atk / 68 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Twineedle
- Frost Breath
- Sunsteel Strike

This thing is fast. Really fast. It outspeeds and kills any imaginable Deoxys Attack while being immune to priority from slower pokemon. U-turn to get some chip damage while pivoting and Twineedle for Deoxys-A. Ice beam kills dragons especially Zygarde and Rayquaza. Extra credit for remebering what Moongeist Beam is for. A more physical set could be used but I find the extra damage from Ice Beam is worth the investment.

Threats
Comatose Phasing: I can't really do anything about this except hope -ate Ray gets dragged out then use Extreme speed. Easy fixes to this would be appreciated.
-Ates: Especially Diancie can be threatening if i don't keep up Psychic Terrain and they predict better than me.
Spore: Use Safety Goggles, get Burn up on Ray, Pray.
Contrary: With Flur cannon i struggle against this and often resort to revenge killing.

Conclusion
So there it is. My first RMT! I reached #8 at one point on the Suspect Test ladder and got the required COIL with this team so it has had moderate success. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did playing with it and thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Pretty good team.
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Extreme Speed
- Trick / Moongeist Beam
Just wonder whether triage rayquaza-mega would do better (Oblivion Wing, Moongeist Beam, trick, Secret Sword) because oblivion wing out-prioritizes ates. Also, Oblivion wing provides recovery for rayquaza.

Hey Willdbeast ! Cool team.
I'm not going to change much team-member wise since that already seems alright (even though you're placing a lot of pressure on Solgaleo to counter-imposter a lot of things on your team), so I'm just going to suggest some minor set changes.

1: Pheromosa

I don't know how you're counter-impostering this at the moment (besides Solgaleo, I guess?), but it could be a problem for your team if Chansey manages to imposter it. It also looks like it struggles a bit versus M-Audino. So, I'd suggest this set:

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Frost Breath
- Twineedle
- U-turn

I know, the special investment is a bit less than what yours is - but the attack ev's on this let you 2hko M-Audino on the switch. The SPA ev's let you place pressure on Zygod anyhow. You'll also notice I placed frost breath over ice beam, this is because frost breath actually hits for the same amount as ice-beam (frost breath hits a bit harder [1% ish] with more investment though) while ignoring any spdef boosts from quiver dance etc. The change from Moongeist beam to Sunsteel strike also helps your Solgaleo wall this better.

2: MMy (optional)

This is an optional set since your set seems fine for now (although it would be better off running Sheer force with what you're trying to do), but I would maybe run this:

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Pixie Plate
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Moongeist Beam
- Judgment
- Shell Smash

It does mostly what yours does, with the added benefit of being a win-condition if the circumstances for setting up present themselves. It will still struggle versus unaware Yveltal / M-Gyarados (maybe Zygod too), but your team has ways of weakening those. You can imposter proof this with your M-Gyarados currently, so it's not too much of an issue to deal with should it be impostered. It also takes full advantage of psychic surge with SS.

3: Other things

Solgaleo: I find it's always best to run a minus speed nature & 0 speed on regen-vest mons or any wall with a pivoting move. This ensures they almost-always go last - meaning you can bring in your threats safely.

Solgaleo @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Sunsteel Strike
- Rapid Spin
- Nuzzle

M-Gyarados: I like your idea of Anchor-shot & the current set seems fine. But some other things you can try are: Pursuit over Spectral thief & then with whirlwind in the first slot. With pursuit you can threaten opposing Psychics & weaken imposter Chansey for later once it realizes it cannot touch you as an impostered MMy.

Misc: This team seems overly weak to some versions of P-Groudon, Water-bubble users, scary physical threats etc. So something you could consider adding at a later stage would be a Fur-coat user, perhaps a parting-shot Darkinium-Z user to heal up M-Gyarados and your sweepers, a magic-bouncer for Comaphaze (as +2 speed M-Ray cannnot outspeed scarf Deo-s), and adding a scarfed Chansey could help with the contrary weakness.
I know that's a lot of stuff to find space for - but it's not necessary if you feel you can currently handle it by playing around it etc.

------------------

Anyhow, nice team all the same. I don't often see dual-Ray teams anymore tbh. ^_^

Pretty good team.
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Extreme Speed
- Trick / Moongeist Beam
Just wonder whether triage rayquaza-mega would do better (Oblivion Wing, Moongeist Beam, trick, Secret Sword) because oblivion wing out-prioritizes ates. Also, Oblivion wing provides recovery for rayquaza.
Triage is definitely good and I was considering using it for one of my Rays but psychic terrain really limits it's use (especially since I have a physical terrain user) and it didn't really fit the role I wanted.
For sweeping I prefer Triage (and my quick feet one is basically psudo-triage) but this is why I use -ates:
252 SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Giratina: 447-526 (88.8 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Rayquaza-Mega Oblivion Wing vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Giratina: 213-252 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see for a quick hit and run it isn't quite the same damage output.

Hey Willdbeast ! Cool team.
I'm not going to change much team-member wise since that already seems alright (even though you're placing a lot of pressure on Solgaleo to counter-imposter a lot of things on your team), so I'm just going to suggest some minor set changes.

1: Pheromosa

I don't know how you're counter-impostering this at the moment (besides Solgaleo, I guess?), but it could be a problem for your team if Chansey manages to imposter it. It also looks like it struggles a bit versus M-Audino. So, I'd suggest this set:

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Frost Breath
- Twineedle
- U-turn

I know, the special investment is a bit less than what yours is - but the attack ev's on this let you 2hko M-Audino on the switch. The SPA ev's let you place pressure on Zygod anyhow. You'll also notice I placed frost breath over ice beam, this is because frost breath actually hits for the same amount as ice-beam (frost breath hits a bit harder [1% ish] with more investment though) while ignoring any spdef boosts from quiver dance etc. The change from Moongeist beam to Sunsteel strike also helps your Solgaleo wall this better.

2: MMy (optional)

This is an optional set since your set seems fine for now (although it would be better off running Sheer force with what you're trying to do), but I would maybe run this:

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Pixie Plate
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Moongeist Beam
- Judgment
- Shell Smash

It does mostly what yours does, with the added benefit of being a win-condition if the circumstances for setting up present themselves. It will still struggle versus unaware Yveltal / M-Gyarados (maybe Zygod too), but your team has ways of weakening those. You can imposter proof this with your M-Gyarados currently, so it's not too much of an issue to deal with should it be impostered. It also takes full advantage of psychic surge with SS.

3: Other things

Solgaleo: I find it's always best to run a minus speed nature & 0 speed on regen-vest mons or any wall with a pivoting move. This ensures they almost-always go last - meaning you can bring in your threats safely.

Solgaleo @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Sunsteel Strike
- Rapid Spin
- Nuzzle

M-Gyarados: I like your idea of Anchor-shot & the current set seems fine. But some other things you can try are: Pursuit over Spectral thief & then with whirlwind in the first slot. With pursuit you can threaten opposing Psychics & weaken imposter Chansey for later once it realizes it cannot touch you as an impostered MMy.

Misc: This team seems overly weak to some versions of P-Groudon, Water-bubble users, scary physical threats etc. So something you could consider adding at a later stage would be a Fur-coat user, perhaps a parting-shot Darkinium-Z user to heal up M-Gyarados and your sweepers, a magic-bouncer for Comaphaze (as +2 speed M-Ray cannnot outspeed scarf Deo-s), and adding a scarfed Chansey could help with the contrary weakness.
I know that's a lot of stuff to find space for - but it's not necessary if you feel you can currently handle it by playing around it etc.

------------------

Anyhow, nice team all the same. I don't often see dual-Ray teams anymore tbh. ^_^
Thanks for all the advice there's lots off small stuff I didn't think of here :]
Ok as for imposter proofing Phero I never seemed to have much problem (maybe I got lucky though) and your set does almost as much to Solgaleo with U-turn as moongeist did but I'm going to swap to your set anyway because it seems better in other ways, and I struggled against audino. The frost breath crit will really help against contrary ray if it's used v-create once or something and should help with other things.
Mewtwo I will keep the same for now, but if/when CFZs get banned I will change it to your set because without supernova the shell smash boost will be much needed to make up for lost power.
As for other things: I think I will replace pheromosa (as soon as CFZs are gone) since with deoxys spam weakened significantly its main role will become redundant. Following your advice I will probably use a magic bounce giratina to help with comaphaze (and also my status weakness). It should also help somewhat with PDon and POgre, although it's not a hard counter. Z-Parting shot seems an excellent way of letting a somewhat passive addition keep up the offensive pressure so thanks for that idea :]

Edit:just noticed your gyarados set and I'll try that out too!
EditEdit: forgot to mention solgaleo, yeah I forgot to minimise speed when I built it but while playing I noticed it outspeeds a deoxys-A after paralysing it then can kill with U-turn so I'll make it a bit slower but make it still quicker than para deoxys as a compromise. It now has 22 speed IVs to be slower than unchanged solgaleo but still faster than para Pheromosa. I also made specs ray Naive because Timid made no sense and now imposter takes more if it switches in and I moved 4 EVs.

Last edited:
An additional Mega Rayquaza set that I use! (Triple Mega Ray would be interesting, thats why I'm adding this)

Rayquaza-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 4 Health, 252 Speed
Nature Timid

- Tail Glow
- Oblivion Wing
- Moongeist Beam
- Healing Wish

This thing is definately weak to dazzling, queenly majesty, psychic surge, and imposter, but then again, what isn't. That is THE reason I pair it with what I think this set's best buddy is, Innards Out Chansey. The only thing you need on this is a negative nature in Special Defense.

Then again, this team is more thought out than any of my teams. Well done ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)