ORAS PU Blessed with a Curse

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Hello, for those of you who do not know me I'm ShuckleDeath. Been playing PU for quite a while now, and was lucky enough to be trusted as a Driver of this wonderful tier.

So onto the team, I wanted to build around Munchlax for a while, and with the drop of Mawile I thought it would be a great time to test it out. As Mawilie adds another check to Munchlax it also, I feel, adds an excellent partner.

Team Building Process

Step One:

I chose to build around Munchlax as I felt I haven't seen one in quite a while. It does great versus a lot of special attackers in the tier, setting up on a good deal of them, fearing only strong Wallbreakers like Nasty Plot Mr.Mime and Trick from things like Choice Scarf Rotom-F. Similarly to Audino it is a great blanket check to special attacks, but with the benefit of acting like a decent win condition.

Mawile was my core Pokemon of choice. Checking Mons such as Machoke, Stoutland, and other physical attackers. I knew choosing Mawile as the partner would give me trouble verses things like Monferno, Pawniard, and Swords Dance Bouffalant. So I made sure to take care in team building to try and cover these during team building. With the ability to pivot on/ hard check Pokemon such as Swords Dance Leafeon, Choice Banded Ninjask, Fraxure and the like, I feel I have the tools to play around thing's as long as I made sure to cover the threat list with out becoming to slow or passive as if i can't keep up some sort of offensive momentum, I'd have a slim chance of breaking though teams, so that's the direction I decided to take the team in.

Step Two:

Examining the weakness I saw Pawniard was sticking out, with it's ability to Knock Off and set up on Munchlax and with out my ability to reliably switch in Mawile as with Defiant and what not I was thinking of a fire type. I contemplated Monferno, but I saw I was also weak to opposing offensive variants of Mawile, Nasty Plot Mr.Mime(especially if Psyshock), and I wanted something to potentially acted as ether a Wallbreaker or win condition if need be, with the ability to have a better match-up versus Mr.Mime. Rapidash came to Mind but I opted for Ninetales as it better threatens Rock and Ground types for Munchlax and Mawile, with it's access to Energy Ball.

Step Three:

I was starting to rope myself into a bit of a slower build with only hitting a base speed of 100. i made the mark for things like Non-Choice Scarf Rotom-F, Stoutland, Leafeon, Nasty Plot Mr.Mime and other crucial 65-95 base speed Pokemon. I needed a way to deal with faster threats, Simisage was coming to mind as between AoA wallbreaker and Nasty plot it was looking like quite the threat. I also noticed i had to play carefully around waters especially physical ones as they handily beat me after earning down Mawile. I chose Electrode for offensive pressure it can put on such Mon's, and between Munchlax and Ninetales was hoping to have the stall breaking powers I needed to potentially clean.

After the first version of the team was completed I felt as though Electrode had a tough time revenge killing Raichu, with the Nasty Plot variant being a big threat to the team. The team was also getting worn down hard by Volt Switch and I found myself having to pick and chose whether it was worth taking damage with my active Pokemon or switching in to the move to than play around whatever threat wants to come in. Zebstrika while not hitting as strongly as Electrode I feel solves both problems, with some careful plays for the LO chip, I can revenge kill Raichu much easier thanks to Overheat, and with Lighting Rod I was easing the tension of Volt Switch.

Step Four:

There was a lot of pressure on Munchlax and Mawile to check to check most things. I was also feeling very weak to Golem and Monferno I felt the best way to remedy this was with defensive Machoke. Just a good glue Mon to add to the team, but being a reliable check to Golem with out adding an extra weakness to fire types, particularly Simisear was it's primary role for the team.

Step Five:

Cryogonal was the last Pokemon for the team. Having a decent speed tier, reliable recover and access to Rapid Spin made it very appealing at first. Figuring Machoke/Zebstrika was enough for Monferno and having Mawile + 2 offensive Mons to deal with Machoke, I really liked the idea of luring in ghost types for Munchlax and hitting them with a toxic.

After trying cryogonal out for a bit the weakness to Machoke and Monferno was starting to become a problem, I was doing a decent job in breaking Machoke with the combo of Mawile and Ninetales but it was always an uphill battle. Monferno was even more of a problem as relaying on Machoke and offensive pressure to take it down was pretty much impossible with out trading something on a regular bases. While Swanna is not as fast as Cryogonal the ability to switch in and pressure was way more valuable, and I still had Zebstrika and Ninetales to revenge kill choice targets so all and all a much better fit.

In-Depth

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Frustration
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ability: Thick Fat adds two resistances, to ice and fire, making this a great pivot into expected ice moves Such as Floatzel's ice punch, or Rotom-F's Blizzard.

EVs: 248 in HP to maximize it's off-the-charts 135 base stat, while allowing it to take minimal damage from entry hazards as this Munchlax will be pivoted a lot. 144 def to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Mr.Mime after Rocks while also allowing it to remain incredible specially bulky with the remaining 116 SpDef investment

Moves: Frustration was used as STAB here mostly for the higher PP that Body Slam gives, it is also stronger and Munchlax is slow the Paras inflicted almost never cause you to out speed, especially after a Curse or two.

Curse is used as a way to patch up it's rather frail physical defense, while also boosting Attack to high levels, with all checks eliminated it can make one hell of a win con, although I find that just boosting up once gives me a way to wear down Defensive and offensive Pokemon alike making a Zebstrika/Ninetales clean happen often.

ResTalk as the final slots, just to keep it healthy and not complete dead weight when asleep.

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass

Item: Leftovers gives me some sort of recovery as that is the one thing Mawile really misses out on, i find me relying on Mawile to take Knock Offs quite a bit so i am forced to play it conservatively, waiting for the perfect time to set Rocks so it can still check things like Stoutland repeatedly.

Ability: Intimidate allows me to repeatedly pivot in and out of Pokemon like Machoke typically clicking Rocks or Baton Pass depending on where my brains at during the battle.

Evs: 248/252 investment into Defensive along with intimidate give Mawile the best chance possible of checking the Mons I mentioned. 8 speed investment is trying to creep 44 speed Machoke, not going to reveal actual amount of investment.

Moves: Play Rough is there to hit Machoke and Vullaby ocuponied by Knock off I feel it gives it the best chance possible to with the match up also good for incoming Eviolite users such as Tangela leaving them crippled for one on my offensive Mons. Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock. Baton Pass to Pivot between Munchlax or Machoke and my offensive Mons.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Item: Ninetales is a Pawniard and Mawile Check before anything else so I opted for leftovers to keep it in as good as heath as i could for said Match ups.

Ability: Flash Fire is cool because it helps me play mind games versus opposing fire types coming in on my Mawile. On top of this drought is banned.

EVs: Vanilla speed and power.

Moves: Fire Blast as it's hardest hitting Stab move(bar Overheat) Energy Ball is great for hitting Pokemon like Relicanth and Golem, good overall synergy with the core. i went for Substitute Nasty Plot over nasty Plot 3 Attacks for several reasons, the main being it helps greatly in the match up versus Pawnaird and offensive Mawile. I also feel I don't need HP Ground, because between Swanna Munchlax and Machoke fire types have not been troubling me to much, Simisear and opposing Ninetales being the most threatening.

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Item: With it's below average Special Attack stat Zebstrika appreciates a power boosting item, and I feel being locked in isn't worth the higher damage out put of Choice Specs.

Ability: Lightning Rod's ability to stop free Volt switches is huge one of the main reasons it was swapped out from Electrode, i also feel I handle sleep pretty well with 2 solid ResTalk users.

Moves: STABS are self explanatory, overheat to hit grass types(and Raichu) hard. HP Ice to hit Gabite as i feel I deal with Camerupt and Golem well enough.​

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 96 SpD / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Most of the move set is self explanatory. Dynamic Punch + Knock Off is good Stab + Coverage
ResTalk for Staying power, the EVs look a tad funny but it's just standard mixed defensive, with invement token out of SpDef and pu into Speed trying to out speed Mons such as Audino, once again wont reveal actual creep number.​

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost

Item: Life Orb to hit Machoke as hard as possible. The main goal of Swanna is to put pressure on Monfrno and Machoke and keep them at bay away from Munchlax. Helps in breaking some balance cores team would other wise struggle with.

Ability: I'm not running rain so hydration servers no purpose so i figured stopping a potential defense drop from crunch would probably see the most use out of the available ability's.

Moves: Hurricane + Scald is great dual STAB putting a lot of pressure on popular cores such as Stunfisk Roselia. Defog in case hazards become out of control also helps from Mons like Mawile and ninetales getting worn down by Rocks. Roost trying to stay heathy to check Machoke and Monferno as much as possible, more so of the latter.
Threat List
I feel i cover a great deal of the tier but there are a few things i feel can give me trouble.

Duosion, in particular the Acid Armor set can absolutely get a win on my team if i let it snowball to far.

While I have Machoke, Swanna, and Munchlax I feel well played wallbreaking water types still pose a threat.

So in conclusion I feel this is a pretty solid team. I have faced numerous ghost types but I feel they did not over pressure the team and Munchlax still added the pivoting the offensive Pokemon need to succeed I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys and seeing anything I have missed because knowing me, I probably did.

(sorry no replays don't want to spoil potential PUPL and ssnl teams)

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Frustration
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 96 SpD / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost

cryalot - was an honor getting to learn with and getting to know you with out a doubt my best friend on PS
Skankovich- ZU buddies for life
Akir- One of my best friends on here, glad you got Mod, Senpai
MaroGod- <3, you know i love you
RawMelon <3 you know i love you more than MaroGod
GeneralAnnoyance-Nice Player, Talk with me more often
TONE114 - Lunatone114
Raiza - Great Player wish to get to meet you more
Raseri - Taught me how to click the ads
NotFalse - Just getting to know you, would love to see more of you in PU
PursuitOfHappiny - Love you Don
2xTheTap - We don't talk alot glad when we do though, i also love your creativity
Anty- i ask you for help a lot, thank you for the help
galbia - Memed me like 9 times "/
Dell- Glad to be getting to know you a little better
Magnemite I admire your wisdom and caring for this tier
Megazard - Starting to talk with you a bit more, i learned a lot from you when i started joining PU
UltimaJC - Come Back ;~;
Shaneghoul - Actually met you building in NU, glad to of (also Minun is lord)
Deej Dy - Another NU friend :O
Teddeh - Chinchou is Jesus (am i good now?)
Optical Real - great Player, glad you take the time to test with me
-Grim - Always enjoy battling with you, we should do it more often
Tect - The person who helped me learn more than any other, thank you bud
Dundies - great player and my favorite person to test against
Kay- a true friend on here, glad to have gotten to know you
HJAD- it would of been easier just to ban you instead of linoone
Kaboom - love you Boom Boom
Solar Flare - ZU and PU buddies for life
cityfolk - a genuine caring person, and a great player
Thisbemyalt - never played a bad game v you
Mango Smoothie - hope to see more of you and how you progress though the tier
Yosp- good player, keep up that desire to learn
EDIT:
Forgot a few people who i should of added sorry
ManOfMany -Legit on of the nicest guys I ever met on here or irl
gasquakee - Likes all posts :D, we should talk more often
amber lamps - i think a fellow driver i know the least, we should fix that, was fun battling you on Smogtours
@anonymousman- Good player, and a nice guy

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi Shuckledeath, nice team and thanks for the shoutout!

The team looks solid, with not too many notable weaknesses, and the munchlax spread looks nice. Since the goal is to support Munchlax to allow it to sweep, I think the team could provide a little more support to help Munchlax. I think Murkrow over Swanna would be an excellent addition to the team, as it provides a huge amount of support for Munchlax, being able to trap Ghosts and frailer strong attackers with Pursuit, while also being able to bait in Rock- and Steel-types with Hidden Power Fighting. Additionally, it can still provide offensive pressure onto Machoke, like Swanna did.

This change would cause several bigger weaknesses, like vs Monferno and it no longer provides you with a hazard remover, so I recomend you try Lumineon. Placing it over another team member is difficult, as they all do a good amount for the team, but I feel Ninetales is the most expendable Pokemon at this point, as Murkrow can function as a wallbreaker, and between Lumineon + Mawile + bait Murkrow I think you can deal with Pawniard and Mawile fine (murkrow actually 2HKOs offensive mawile with Brave Bird). Lumineon also strengthens your matchup vs Water-types by providing a solid immunity, and it relieves pressure off of Munchlax to check them.
Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Pursuit

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Defog

Hope I helped!

ShuckleDeath

Hi Shuckledeath, nice team and thanks for the shoutout!

The team looks solid, with not too many notable weaknesses, and the munchlax spread looks nice. Since the goal is to support Munchlax to allow it to sweep, I think the team could provide a little more support to help Munchlax. I think Murkrow over Swanna would be an excellent addition to the team, as it provides a huge amount of support for Munchlax, being able to trap Ghosts and frailer strong attackers with Pursuit, while also being able to bait in Rock- and Steel-types with Hidden Power Fighting. Additionally, it can still provide offensive pressure onto Machoke, like Swanna did.

This change would cause several bigger weaknesses, like vs Monferno and it no longer provides you with a hazard remover, so I recomend you try Lumineon. Placing it over another team member is difficult, as they all do a good amount for the team, but I feel Ninetales is the most expendable Pokemon at this point, as Murkrow can function as a wallbreaker, and between Lumineon + Mawile + bait Murkrow I think you can deal with Pawniard and Mawile fine (murkrow actually 2HKOs offensive mawile with Brave Bird). Lumineon also strengthens your matchup vs Water-types by providing a solid immunity, and it relieves pressure off of Munchlax to check them.
Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Pursuit

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Defog

Hope I helped!
Will certainly give it a try thanks

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Nice team ShuckleDeath, you have great synergy between your pokemon and are still able to fit some really cool threats onto it! I also like how your Munchlax EV spread gives you literally the same damage as the standard 0/252/252+ EV spread lol

Anyway I disagree with Anty, I think putting Lumineon and Murkrow over Swanna makes the team quite a bit weaker to Machoke and Monferno, so it would be a huge risk considering it is a Munchlax-based team. Although Lumineon does help with water types a bit, you already have 3 pokemon that can 1v1 life orb simipour and life orb floatzel so it's ok by me.

My only minor suggestion is to put SD on Mawile instead of Knock Off cause I think if you can get a +2 in to Munchlax or Machoke it would be godly, and it helps with people using Gourgeist Super as a Machoke counter

:)

ShuckleDeath

Nice team ShuckleDeath, you have great synergy between your pokemon and are still able to fit some really cool threats onto it! I also like how your Munchlax EV spread gives you literally the same damage as the standard 0/252/252+ EV spread lol

Anyway I disagree with Anty, I think putting Lumineon and Murkrow over Swanna makes the team quite a bit weaker to Machoke and Monferno, so it would be a huge risk considering it is a Munchlax-based team. Although Lumineon does help with water types a bit, you already have 3 pokemon that can 1v1 life orb simipour and life orb floatzel so it's ok by me.

My only minor suggestion is to put SD on Mawile instead of Knock Off cause I think if you can get a +2 in to Munchlax or Machoke it would be godly, and it helps with people using Gourgeist Super as a Machoke counter

:)
The SD might be a good idea will certainly try it out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)