Battle Spot Breloom Preview [Singles]

[OVERVIEW]

With an amazing Attack stat, access to Spore to put its opponents to sleep, and an ability in Technician to power up its weaker moves, Breloom can be quite the annoying foe to face as a lead or a late-game sweeper. However, Breloom is pretty frail and slow, making it hard to use without a Focus Sash to protect it from pokemon that outspeed and OHKO it easily. The newly introduced terrain setters in Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Fini also mess with Breloom’s usage, as Tapu Lele can prevent Breloom from using Mach Punch on opposing foes and both Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele make grounded pokemon immune to spore. It is worth mentioning that none of the pokemon mentioned earlier can switch into Breloom safely to set up their respective terrains. However, these terrains are still fairly common in the Battle Spot Singles metagame, making Breloom tough to bring into battles.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Offensive Spore
move 1: Spore
move 2: Bullet Seed
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Rock Tomb
item: Focus Sash
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Spore cripples opposing pokemon immediately by putting them to sleep, can even put multiple pokemon to sleep due to no sleep clause.
* Bullet Seed is Breloom’s main STAB move, with it getting stronger after the technician boost and being able to break Focus Sash and Sturdy users.
* Mach Punch allows Breloom to perform better as a revenge killer, with it also receiving the the technician boost in addition to the STAB boost.
* Rock Tomb takes down pokemon such as Charizard and Volcarona, who would otherwise wall Breloom. It also provides great speed control for the team if used as a lead.
* Adamant gives Breloom gives more power to its moves while failing to outspeed threats such as Adamant Blaziken and Adamant Mamoswine along with Tapu Koko and Mega Gengar after a Speed drop from Rock Tomb, while Jolly outspeeds these threats in exchange for power.
* Focus Sash allows Breloom to take a hit that would otherwise OHKO it, and retaliate in return with putting the opposing pokemon to sleep with Spore.
* Breloom is best used as a lead or as a late-game sweeper, by messing with the opponent’s team in the early-game with Spore or Rock Tomb, or revenge killing and sweeping with Bullet Seed and Mach Punch.
* If the opponent has a possible Stealth Rock setter present on their team, it is recommended to lead with Breloom to KO said Stealh Rock setter if it is capable of beating it. This also avoids future problems Breloom may have if it were to lose its Focus Sash in the process. Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Nihilego, are prime examples of pokemon Breloom may want to lead against.
* Breloom hates facing terrain setters like Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko as they mess with its kit, so pokemon with the ability to take on the aforementioned pokemon would be beneficial for it.
* Grass pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Tapu Bulu can give Breloom trouble because they are immune to Spore. A partner who can deal with these threats is to be considered.
* Pokemon who benefit from the speed control and momentum Breloom provides are great partners to it. This includes pokemon such as Charizard, Volcarona, and Mimikyu.
* Since Focus Sash is the only item of use here to Breloom, multi hit moves from the likes of Mamoswine who outspeeds Breloom, and Cloyster who speed ties with it, are to be feared. A pokemon with the ability to punish these multi hit users is recommended.

Last edited:
This was probably ready for QC the moment I made this thread but I just needed to read over it a few times to catch some grammar errors.

Ready for QC now though!

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna check this now!

[OVERVIEW]

With an amazing Attack stat, access to spore to put its opponents to sleep, and an ability in technician to power up its weaker moves, Breloom can be quite the annoying foe to face as a lead or a late-game sweeper. However, Breloom is pretty frail and slow, making it hard to use without a Focus Sash to protect it from pokemon that outspeed and OHKO it easily. The newly introduced terrain setters in Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Fini also mess with Breloom’s usage, as Tapu Lele can prevent Breloom from using Mach Punch on opposing foes and both Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele make grounded pokemon immune to spore. These terrains are fairly common in the Battle Spot Singles metagame, making Breloom tough to bring into battles. Something I'd mention is that while these terrains suck for Breloom, none of the terrain setters actually switch into Breloom that well, since Bullet Seed does a lot of damage to them!

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Offensive Spore
move 1: Spore
move 2: Bullet Seed
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Rock Tomb
item: Focus Sash
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Spore cripples opposing pokemon immediately by putting them to sleep, can even put multiple pokemon to sleep due to no sleep clause.
* Bullet Seed is Breloom’s main STAB move, with it getting stronger after the technician boost and being able to break Focus Sash and Sturdy users.
* Mach Punch allows Breloom to perform better as a revenge killer, with it also receiving the the technician boost in addition to the STAB boost.
* Rock Tomb takes down pokemon such as Charizard and Volcarona, who would otherwise wall Breloom. It also provides great speed control for the team if used as a lead.
* Adamant gives Breloom gives more power to its moves while failing to outspeed threats such as Adamant Blaziken, Adamant Dragonite, and Adamant Mamoswine, while Jolly outspeeds these threats in exchange for power. I'd also mention that Jolly outspeeds Mega Salanmence and base 130s such as Tapu Koko and Mega Gengar after a Speed drop from Rock Tomb.
* Focus Sash allows Breloom to take a hit that would otherwise OHKO it, and retaliate in return with putting the opposing pokemon to sleep with Spore.
* Breloom is best used as a lead or as a late-game sweeper, by messing with the opponent’s team in the early-game with Spore or Rock Tomb, or revenge killing and sweeping with Bullet Seed and Mach Punch. I'd mention that if you see a Pokemon that commonly uses Stealth Rock on team preview, it might make sense to lead with Breloom if you think Breloom can handle said SRer. Think stuff like Garchomp, Hippowdon, Nihilego, etc.
* Breloom hates facing terrain setters like Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko as they mess with its kit, so pokemon with the ability to take on the aforementioned pokemon would be beneficial for it.
* Grass pokemon who have the ability to beat Breloom also give Breloom trouble because they are immune to Spore. A partner who can deal with these threats is to be considered. Might want to namedrop a few common examples. It'd mainly be Mega Venusaur tbh, but Ferrothorn avoids a 2HKO from Mach Punch, and Tapu Bulu can be annoying even though Bullet Seed can hurt it.
* Pokemon who benefit from the speed control and momentum Breloom provides are great partners to it. This includes pokemon such as Charizard, Volcarona, and Mimikyu.
Might want to mention that Pokemon with multihit moves themselves can be scary. Cloyster often comes down to a speed tie and hoping Bullet Seed hits enough, and Mamoswine straight up outspeeds.

Made the changes, completely forgot to consider what Adamant and Jolly Breloom outspeeds after a Rock Tomb, so my bad on that part. This is now open for another check.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Only thing I'd change now is to get rid of the Landorus-T mention for the leads, because I was an idiot and forgot that they'll just U-turn away from Breloom lol.

Otherwise, QC Approved 1/1, I'll upload this if there are no comments by tomorrow!

Landorus-T mention was a mistake on my part, not yours. You didn't bring it up as an example as an Stealth Rock setter, I just sort of added it in myself to the examples you gave and totally forgot it can just U-Turn away from Breloom if it's faster. Looks like someone else here was the idiot instead of you lol

Anyways, change has been made and this is ready to be uploaded whenever anyone has time to do so!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)