Charizard (Gen 4, adding Choice Scarf)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/charizard

I think its about time I write this, since Caelum and a few others have expressed interest in adding this set to the analysis. This is my first analysis, so please bear with with me.

+

[SET]
name: ScarfZard
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe/ 4 SpD
ability: Blaze
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Charizard's high Special Attack and Speed stats give it the opportunity to effectively utilize a Choice Scarf. While Moltres can use a similar set, there are a few merits that set Charizard apart.</p>

<p>The advantages lie in Charizard's movepool and ability. While inaccurate, Focus Blast gives Charizard the ability to face down threats like Tyranitar and Heatran, both of whom Moltres can only dream of beating without the investment of Hidden Power Fighting. Blaze, which at first glance might not seem like much, adds an extra dimension to Choice Scarf Charizard that most scarved pokemon lack. With an odd HP stat and the prevalence of Stealth Rock, Charizard is only getting to switch in twice most of the time. However, this allows Charizard to activate Blaze at 1 HP, which can effectively give Charizard the opportunity to sweep a weakened team with Fire Blast.</p>

<p>This set can also be used as a capable lead. With the given moveset Charizard can start off the match offensively and pose a threat to both suicide and bulky leads. Leads like Metagross, Azelf, Jirachi, and Heatran all put Charizard in a good position at the start of the match to do damage, especially under the guise of a lead Bellyzard. Hidden Power Grass is an option to hit Swampert leads, but it fails to OHKO, and Air Slash is still a 3HKO.</p>

<p>The given EV spread allows Charizard to survive most non-STAB super-effective hits. For example, a non-STAB Thunderbolt coming from a Special Attack stat of 394 (like Gengar) only manages 83.17% - 97.78%, which effectively puts Charizard in Blaze range. This extra bulk especially helps a leading Choice Scarf Charizard by allowing it to defeat faster scarfers wielding super effective moves. The speed EVs give it a speed stat of 421 with the scarf, which outspeeds both Timid Scarftran and pokemon that try to outspeed said Scarftran by one speed point. Alternatively, a standard spread of 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe will aid Charizard in revenge killing, as well as allowing it to at least speed tie neutral natured Choice Scarf Flygons and Salamences after a Dragon Dance, and KO them with Hidden Power Ice.</p>

<p>This set works just as effectively in UU, where the average base speed is much lower. In this realm it is able to shut down threats like Blaziken and stall Moltres while getting many free switch ins due to the prevalence of Shaymin. This set fares well against most offensive teams in the UU tier because of its coverage.</p>

Pretty good set, but CB Tyranitar's Pursuit does 89% damage minimum if you switch out, which KOs you if you take SR damage, puts you in SR range or makes you die in 2 turns. For this reason, you should probably list Dugtrio as a partner to revenge-kill Tyranitar.

Nice Set, but i think that this Set ist not really dangerous for UU Stall Teams since Chansey is only 3-4HKOed, and the chance that Focus Blast even hits twice is only ~49%. So i think that you have to remove (...)the ability to hit walls like Chansey with Focus Blast cracking the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)