Competitive Favorites

I know this is a bit of a faux pas, but I play entirely to try and get as much mileage as I can using pokemon I just like, and my "competitive" team is literally just drawn from my top ten favorite designs/concepts in the game, few of which are really recognized as competitive powerhouses.

Amazingly enough though, I've been enjoying a fairly even mix of wins and losses the past few days, even a five-win streak in PO UU, my first ever in competitive play.

I just worry that it's a lot of dumb luck, because I don't have the greatest coverage and a few of my beloved friends aren't really pulling their weight with the sets I gave them.

I'm also kind of an idiot when it comes to numbers (in general. In life.) so some of my EV spreads may be wonky. I'm in the habit of adjusting them obsessively after losses to see if I can keep things alive longer.

Obviously I'll take pokemon suggestions (some of my other "favorites" include Mega Banette, Rotom-C, Malamar and Tangrowth, which I know could add a lot here) but I'd love if you can also include ideas on making the final two mesh better with the rest, especially

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Trick Room

This is a fairly standard Reuniclus but has been the star player since I went with the classic set. I've been using it as the lead and either taking out a few pokes or at least setting up TR and switching to something else that can.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 132 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Protect
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

People seem to keep underestimating Aromatisse's bulk. She's done a great job surviving often to the end of battles and not only supporting the team, but taking out a lot of dragons and dark types with no offensive investment at all.

I was considering Trick Room over Aromatherapy, since my whole team is slow and could use a back-up Trick Roomer. Maybe?

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Atk / 32 SDef
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Razor Shell
- Night Slash
- Shell Smash

I know these aren't the moves people usually give Barbaracle for maximum coverage, but I've been changing them by trial and error. Slower, bulky grass types seem to think they'll scare him into switching and then get hit with a shell smash X-Scissor. Maybe it can do better though.

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Calm Nature
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Don't laugh, this has worked like Shuckle with way more HP. He's fainted at least 1-2 pokemon per match all on his own, induced forfeits and been one of the best stallers I've ever tried. Everyone immediately thinks they can take it out with an SE physical move and 90% of the time that's still a 3HKO or more, allowing him to trap and resttalk over and over.

Eelektross @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 136 Atk / 252 HP / 120 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Thunderpunch
- Dragon Tail
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

This is a pokemon I just love to death, but haven't had the best of luck with. Again I keep messing with standard sets just to see if he can survive better the next time, but he's often the first to go after doing only sub-par damage to a team.

Maybe leftovers, coil and roar somewhere to deal with substitute users?

Garbodor @ Black Sludge
Ability: Stench
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Infestation

Sadly, Garbodor is my #1 all-time most beloved Pokemon and I want nothing more than to make it the very best it can possibly be...but so far, I haven't pulled off any set that I've tried. This may just be due to me forgetting what can pack Earthquake at the worst possible moments, though.

I've tried a rock blast/king's rock stench abuser (too slow), stockpile staller (redundant with Sliggoo and requiring set-up time), choice set (sigh), and a suicidal spikes lead with air balloon (too many taunting leads out there)

Maybe assault vest?

If you were stuck with Garbodor on your team, what would you do with it?

Andrew0003

Banned deucer.
Most of the pokemon I see I have never used but I can give you recommendations on better stuff...so an amazing bulky pokemon that has been long forgotten and will probably be a new UU pokemon is jellicent and trust me this pokemon has gotten me out of amazing situations...you could replace sligoo with jellicent..
Jellicent
Bold nature
252 evs in hp
252 Evs in defense
6 ivs in special defense
Moveset
Taunt to shut down everything that is not an attack
Scald good stab chance to burn but you mainly need a stab move so here's one
Will o wisp yeah I know there's scald but will o wisp would be better to stall and scald just speeds up the opposing pokemons death
Recover to stall and gain back health
Item is leftovers
And well you should get ride of eelektros considering the pokemon I am going to mention is so much better which is rotom wash which could fill a role of being an annoying scout or a sweeper...what I think rotom wash should do...
Rotom wash should be a bulky nature so bold would work well and the evs should be invested in health defenses and special defense and whatever's left goes to his special attack
Thunder wave which will make you move first
Volt switch makes you retreat to scout your opponents team
Hydro pump
Thunderbolt
Both of those moves are for stab
Item could be a sitrus berry or life orb your choice...
Rotom is a very good lead pokemon in my opinion and a very good scout but he can also sweep and take hits as well due to his decent bulk and rotom wash I believe is only weak to grass..
Other recommendations could be Chansey with evoilite to replace sliggoo or you could have carracosta or cloyster if you want a better shell smash user to replace barbaracle...this is my advice so you don't have to take it but hey if you do thanks and if you want a moveset on any of the recommended pokemon or anything else feel free to ask me..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)