Damage Control (Balance Offensive)

Hello Smogon, I just recently got into competitive Pokemon and after having fun with numerous gimmick teams, I decided to buckle down and make a serious one.

While I wanted to make an offensive team in general, rather than concentrating on one specific Pokemon or one specific strategy, I wanted a team flexible enough to deal with the majority of the threats in the current Dream World OU metagame. Moreover, I wanted each specific set to support another. Specifically, each Pokemon should leave the battlefield in a prime condition for the one coming in. Thus, instead having specific support Pokemon, each one in the final lineup should be able to serve as one concurrently with their offensive roles (sometimes, the offensive role acts as a support simultaneously). Finally, I wanted a team that excelled in damage control: it doesn't let one sweeper get too many kills or let one staller out for too long.

After tweaking the lineup considerably on PO, I've come one that I feel comfortable going against any opponent whether it be weather, stall, fast offensive, bulky offense, etc. The key is the multiple roles each member takes. All of them can try to sweep, but they also can set the stage for others to have an easier time doing their jobs. This means breaking a hold in the opponents lineup and exploiting it as much as possible. Another key is the philosophy of "just enough" speed. Rather than filling the entire lineup with fast and frail sweepers or bulky and slow sweepers, each member has just enough speed to accomplish their jobs. While the actual attacking moves used will be limited in typing, the key is to find just one that the opponent cannot handle to blow enough holes to turn momentum squarely in my favor.

Now to the actual lineup:

The Anti-Anti-Lead
Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multi-Scale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brick Break
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed]​

I tried every variation of Dragonite (personal favorite) and I believe this works best on my team. It is able to come in and work in unison with Espeon to essentially put me on top almost immediately. Standard anti-lead such as Machamp are OHKOed by either a +1 Outrage or the coverage move of choice. Even against the standard Anti-lead Dragonite, I outspeed and can OHKO with Outrage if I'm lucky while able to survive the Draco Meteor + Espeed combo. I chose Brick Break over Earthquake for Tyranitar specifically and so I'm not set up bait for a flying type or levitate user. However, it makes me weak to the ever so common Shandera coming to revenge so that is still up for grabs. While a CB makes it hard to abuse Multi-scale, in the end, I don't really need to. The biggest threats will be SR and sandstorm which will neuter the defensive capabilities of this guy. However, it's there where it counts: the first turn. Sandstorm activates after both Pokemon used the first move and I built this thing to finish his job in one.

For the leads in which hazards are imminent, I will need to switch to Espeon immediately. Thus, this guy also serves as a late game revenge killer, suicide Outrager, and if all goes well (Multi-scale intact upon entry), a Dragon killer. In fact, if Multi-scale is intact and he comes in on a slower Pokemon, this guy is almost guaranteed to get two kills with the sheer brute force of Outrage (2KO on Standard Scizor and Heatran).

The Handyman
Espeon (F) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Magic Mirror
EVs: 244 HP / 148 Def / 88 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass​

This Espeon is designed to be a multi-purpose utility. Magic Mirror is such a good ability and allows me to greatly disrupt teams that rely on entry hazards or status to win. Going back to the "enough speed" philosophy, I found that I don't really need that much speed investment on this guy to do its job. It's not suppose to sweep but to check huge threats in the metagame that are usually slow and focus on physical moves. Thus, I made him physically defensive while having just enough SpA to either force the opponent out or to kill the target outright. Being defensive, it also gives me some room for error. For example, if I come in on Hippowdon who EQs instead of setting up rocks, I won't be 2KOed while allowing me to 2KO the Hippo with grass knot.

Keeping this guy alive is absolutely imperative. But rather just running, I want him to simultaneously act as a bait for his own counters. Shed Shell just wrecks CS Shandera who usually come in and use Shadow Ball. I simply switch out to Scizor and the opponents Shandera is dead meat (with Pursuit). Pursuit Tyranitars won't like it when their attack is essentially halved as I Baton Pass out (usually just enough speed to do so) to either Scizor or Jarooda, simultaneously putting them in an awkward position.

The attacks on this guy are meant to take out the things he is supposed to come in on. The most notable ones: Nattorei, Hippowdon, Foretress, Breloom (with Spore), and Tentacruel. Moreover, he acts as a huge Roobushin check since I outspeed it and being physically defensive, I can take any type of punches even after a bulk-up. If they use payback, its fine, I'll just revenge it with the numerous priority or faster pokemon on the team. I'm willing to make that trade since he is such a huge threat and can disrupt the synergies on this team.

The 88mm Anti-Tank Gun
Breloom (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance​

Speaking of Roobushin, I can't believe people use him in Dream World OU when this thing exists. Breloom is my premier wall breaker and anti-tank. Coming in on something slower and putting them to sleep immediately will allow me to stop the bleeding (preventing them from getting too many defensive boosts). After one swords dance, it has the potential to destroy many of the standard bulky offensive or walls in the game. With Technician Mach punch, it can decimate the entire opponent team if they don't have a fighting resist left that is faster as well (lest bullet-seed kills them). I had stone edge instead of bullet-seed so I could lure in flying and bug types that resist fighting and grass, but I decided against it after a few tries due to the inaccuracy and the low margin of error (have to use it as they come in since most are faster). However, it certainly is an option as getting rid of those two types will make it significantly easier for Jarooda to sweep.

With life orb, Breloom also acts as a revenge killer with Mach Punch against the metas most common threats (thinking of Dory here and to a lesser extent, Heatran).

The Virulent Sweeper
Jarooda (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Perversity
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic
- Glare​

The easiest sweeper to use in existence. Every move except Leaf Storm is mostly for show ("mostly": Toxic was added specifically for Focus Sash Shedinja). I found the standard Jarooda didn't have "enough speed"; it's too easily revenged by scarfed users. With choice scarf, this thing outspeeds anything that doesn't carry priority, scarfed Skymin, Swift Swimmers (except Ludicolo), and of course, Dory. Usually, I bring him in to revenge a worn out Pokemon, getting the boost in the process, then proceed to sweep except if one of these three conditions are met:
1. They bring in a 4x resist (unfortunately there are many)
2. Leaf storm misses (unfortunately happens much more than 5%, stupid PO)
3. I run out of PP (possible against some stall teams)

Jaroodas are naturally somewhat bulky. It can survive an unboosted Outrage from Kingdra, X-scissor from Dory accounting for sandstorm damage and OHKO both once it's at +4. Thus, it is an excellent anti-sand and anti-rain pokemon. Moreover, the bulk allows it to survive unboosted LO Mach Punches from Breloom and Roobushin as well as unboosted Ice Shards from Mamoswine.

I'm usually quite selective about when to send in Jarooda since I want him in the field as long as possible to rack up those boosts. Thus, I usually send him in only in the late game when 4x resists are gone (2x is O.K. after +4). While it may seem redundant to have two grass offensive pokemon when the type is notorious for being weakest offensive types in existence, I like Jarooda for the ability to set up while revenging at the same time, thus keeping intact the fast-paced nature of my team. That more than makes up for the bad typing which can be compensated by the rest of my team.

The Band-aid
Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 136 HP / 255 Atk / 116 Def
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch​

In line with the "damage control" philosophy, I decided on a standard CB Scizor to take hits and revenge with super powerful bullet punches. It forms part of my "defensive core" by complementing the two grass sweepers since they can take the things that resist steel type attacks. Pursuit is useful for Latios/Latias and for executing the Shandera trap. Since I'm extremely slow, I don't expect to use U-turn except when I detect a switch is imminent. Superpower is a niche move for slow walls that are weak to fighting.

Scizor does not need any speed EVs to accomplish its job. Rather, I wanted another fall-back defensively. Most special attacks can be handled by the various resistances in my lineup: water and electric by Jarooda; Fire and Ice by Heatran; Ghost and Psychic by Scizor; and Grass by just about everyone. Having another defensive presence gives me a larger margin of error. Finally, the things Scizor is supposed to come in on (DD Dragon, T-Tar) are mostly physical anyway.

This guy acts as the fail-safe option in so many situations. CB Bullet Punch is powerful enough to weaken threats that resist it. Thus, it acts as both a defensive and offensive pivot in one.

The Glue
Heatran (F) @ Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Will-O-Wisp​

The fact that I have massive ice and fire weaknesses was not lost when making this team. By resisting these two types, Heatran acts as the other half of the "defensive core" and the glue that holds everything together. As an added bonus, it acts as a backup anti-Dragon, anti-steel, and final Dory Check.

Being a fast place team, I want my Heatran to be a threatening presence while still giving support and being a switching pivot. Earth Power is to counter the fire types that he is bound to switch into. Flamethrower is obligatory STAB, Fire Blast being too inaccurate. Since I have Will-O-Wisp, I don't really need lava plume. HP Ice is to counter dragons and flying types. Finally, Will-O-Wisp is to burn the Pokemon coming in since Heatran is great at forcing switches.

Balloon is a niche item. It is specifically there to counter other Heatrans and Doryuzzu. If they are not present, then I don't have any qualms about switching this guy in an ice attack and letting it pop. However, Dory especially is such a huge threat that he alone warrants the use of the item over say, Life Orb.

Additional Consideration: Suicune
Suicune was a possible member in Heatran's slot since it serves mostly the same purpose and have more or less the same resistances. However, I find the calm mind variant to be too slow to set up and the Rest Talking variants to be deviating from the quick pace of other team members.

End

Playing with this team over the last week and getting to around 1300 on the Smogon PO server, I find that positioning is a bigger counter than any one specific threat. Given the fast paced nature of my team, any "counter" to an individual member of may soon find itself outmatched if it doesn't come in immediately. Zapdos is a great example. It counters Jaroda pretty well given its resistance and bulk. However, if the opponent brings it in after Jaroda revenged another pokemon, it will fail since it cannot survive a +2 Leaf Storm and a +4 Leaf Storm while being unable to OHKO Jaroda with HP Ice (Heatwave is another story). Moreover, with the huge amount of priority users on the team, I can take down a large threat through sheer number of back-to-back priority attacks albeit at the sacrifice of at least one member of my team (an Ononokus Outrage is a good example). However as my team relies on type synergies defensively, losing one member might displace the synergies enough to lose the game. For example, I once got swept by an unboosted Focus Blast/Karendan (sp) Victini after the opponent took down Dragonite.

On the flip slide, many common threats are dealt with, sometimes having more than one fail-safe option (keeping in line with the "damage control" philosophy). Here are a few I've met consistently in the last few days in no particular order:

- Nattorei: neutered by Espeon. Can't unleash status, can't set hazards, will die in a fair fight. Breloom Mach Punch is fail-safe. Dragonite Fire Punch is second fail-safe.
- Doryuzzu (in sand) : Breloom Mach Punch OHKOs.It can't do anything to Heatran if balloon is intact and it doesn't have brick break. Jaroda can win in a fair fight after one previous Leaf Storm.
- Tyranitar: Dragonite, Scizor, and Breloom all destroy it.
- Roobushin: Espeon along with any priority attack. Breloom can make it set-up fodder with spore.
- Rankurusu: Breloom makes it set-up fodder with spore. Problem if it uses trick room on the switch in which case Scizor will have to bullet punch it to death.
- Garchomp: SD version destroyed by Heatran with Balloon, Scarfed versions destroyed by Scizor and Jaroda after +2 (I'm faster and can survive Outrage).
- Techniloom: Espeon greatly neuters it (see Nattorei).
-Kingdra (in rain): Jaroda can win in a fair fight after +2. Otherwise, will need to sac a team member and kill it with a combo of ESpeed, Mach Punch, and unboosted Leaf Storm.
- Scarfed Shandera: Espeon sets the trap and Scizor finishes. Jaroda can kill it if it gets +4 before it enters the field.
- Skymin: Heatran is a counter as long as flinch hax is reasonable. Subseed variants are soft-countered by priority Scizor, again if flinchhax is reasonable.
- Darkrai: Will send in Espeon no matter what to try to reflect the Dark Void. Otherwise, will need to sac a pokemon (Espeon) and revenge with Mach Punch.
- Salamence: Heatran is a perfect counter. Dragonite with Multi-scale intact is a counter.
- Dragonite: Might need to sac a pokemon to break multi-scale and then revenge with Bullet Punch or ESpeed. DNites with no defense investments will be OHKOed by Outrage from my own DNite even with multi-scale intact.
- Deoxy (A, S, and N): Simply have to hammer with priority moves, usually sacing a team member. DNite can OHKO Deoxy-A with ESpeed.
- Errufun and Sableye: Absolutely wrecked by Espeon. Priority moves (except Mach Punch) are failsafe option.
- Burunkeru: lovely "setup fodder" for Jaroda.
- Manaphy: Problematic or not depending on positioning. If it tail glows before Jaroda is out (our dead), then I lose at least another 2 pokemon (to priority attack it to death). However, if Jaroda is in the field before it comes out, I will be on top.
- Foretress and Hippowdon: Stopped cold by Espeon (see Nattorei). Stockpile variants of Hippo make delicious setup fodder for Breloom.
- Standard DD Gyarados: Setup fodder for Jaroda. Ice Fang may be a problem.
- Heatran: May be a problem if it has balloon. Will either come down to speed tie with own Heatran or revenged by Mach Punch.

I'm sure some threats are not listed and I would love to hear additional possibilities. Moreover, I would love some help with more efficient EV spreads, better movesets, and better Pokemon for the team (DNite is off-limits for the last one). Thanks everyone!

Glare and Toxic seems a bit redundant on the same Jarooda set. I'd suggest taking them both out and adding Substitute and Twister. With Substitute, I find it's fairly easy to get to +6, and then Twister neuters everything that walls Leaf Storm + HP Fire (as in, Dragons). Also, since Balloon is already on Heatran, I'd suggest replacing Will-O-Wisp with Nitro Charge. I've seen Balloon + Nitro Charge variants get some amazing sweeps...
I'll rate in more detail later.

Jarooda is Choiced so a Sub variant would be not be viable. Nitro Charge is an interesting suggestion. While I definitely don't expect Heatran to sweep, it fits the "threatening while setting up" nature of the team.

Oh, I didn't see the Scarf.
Heatran does sweep with Nitro Charge, after one turn of set up it has the speed of the Scarfed set with the power to change moves. Plus, if you balloon isn't broken, Ditto can't do crap to it.

Leaf Storm has a 10% chance to miss. I think Poison is a worse offensive type, also.
You have 3 pokemon weak to Ice (and 2 resists) and 3 weak to fire (one 4x weak) (one resist and one immune).

Leaf Storm has a 10% chance to miss. I think Poison is a worse offensive type, also.
You have 3 pokemon weak to Ice (and 2 resists) and 3 weak to fire (one 4x weak) (one resist and one immune).
Thanks for the info on Leaf Storm, I honestly did not know that. Still, it feels as if Leaf Storm misses more than 1/10th of the time especially when it misses more than once in a row.

I know the typing on this team is extreme which is why I added Heatran to resist Ice and Fire. In this way, it's the glue that holds this team together which is why I'm somewhat hesitant to sweep with it.

If you want a gluier Heatran, why not try a RestTalk set? It's longevity is extreme.
That's not a bad idea. However, it also acts as a counter to the Dragon Trio (DNite, Mence, Chomp) with HP Ice. I guess I could take out Earth Power and just add EQ back on Dnite instead of Brick Break. Would you suggest the same EVs as now given the additional role (over not dying)?

If you go Substitute, Lava Plume, Earth Power, HP Ice on Heatran you can get a sub up on the switch and still have a good fire move with a burn chance to increase your longevity. Restalk with Lava Plume and HP Ice is also not bad.

Here is a new, updated threat:

Stall Rain
Jaroda and Breloom do an excellent job of countering rain's offensive threats. However, stall poses a huge problem since I can't really hit steals except with Heatran which in itself is rather worthless in rain. Skarm in particular is such a huge problem since I have no electric moves and my special attacking pokemon (Heatran & Jaroda) cannot take it down fast enough before getting whirlwinded. Even CB Fire Punch only does 24% to Skarm in rain.

Another issue is Politoed! If there is one Pokemon in which I hate more than any other, it's him (yes, even over Skymin, Jirachi, Darkrai, etc.). I'm forced to Outrage on the first turn which is just inviting entry hazards from max defense steel types (like Skarm). If I switch, it could do massive damage with Ice Beam (on the switch to Jaroda or Breloom) or Hydro Pump (Scizor, Espeon, Heatran). Speced versions have even OHKOed Scizor before with Hydro Pump.

One potential fix is to switch out Heatran for Suicune or another bulky water. Heatran is pretty useless in a rain (granted, Suicune would be useless in sun) I donno, maybe even a defensive, Life Orb/Spec, Lanturn (lol?).

Bulky Suicune with Hail fucks up rain teams like no tomorrow. With Water Absorb you have many opportunities to switch into rain attacks and Hail neutralizes all Swift Swimmers and Manaphy can't Hydration Rest anymore.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpA
Hail
Boil Over/Surf
HP Electric
Calm Mind/Ice Beam/Reflect

Suicune still resists water and ice attacks in place of Heatran but also doesn't have any crippling 4x weakness, is even bulkier, and is an answer to Politoed and Skarmory.

The moves depend on how you want to go about supporting your team. If you want Suicune to be a CM attacker than three attacks and CM are the way to go as well as some SpA EVs. Otherwise if you just want a support Suicune then the above nature and EVs are the way to go. Boil Over causes burns making Suicune an even better physical wall, in which case you may opt for Light Screen to support the rest of the team, or Reflect to just be physically indestructible. Since most rain teams have special attackers though, Calm with 252 SpD EVs is an alternative, since burn will protect you on the physical side as well.

HP Electric makes you one beast of a Politoed counter and it can also hit Tentacruel and Skarmory like you mentioned.

Now Tentacruel can do the same and is a great Special wall on top of not being weak to Grass, resisting Fighting moves and being immune to Toxic, and that's a big one. Tentacruel can single handedly absorb Toxic Spikes which is a big part of Rain Stall and spin away other hazards. Poison Ooze (Toxic Ooze?) also means Leech Seed will actually damage your opponent if they use it. It's more than bulky enough to use either Hail or Rapid Spin and can even set up Toxic Spikes itself if you wish.

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Toxic Ooze
Calm 252 HP / 4 Df / 252 SpD
Hail
Boil Over
HP Electric
Rapid Spin

Very anti-rain.

Also with Jaroda's lack of coverage I think you'd be better off with Substitute and Leftovers. This way you can better Glare enemies as well as attack.

I like both of your suggestions for dealing with rain (weather in general) and will try it out. The only thing I would change is to have sandstorm instead of hail. My team is so weak to ice already that I'd rather not power it up (for example, specs Kingdra Ice Beam from rain teams). I have a much easier time dealing with sandstorm as I carry so many checks for Dory. The loss of multi-scale on Dnite (if it hasn't lost it already) is a problem but it would be the a problem nonetheless with hail. The only other potential negative I can see is Garchomp's sandveil causing some trouble for its normal checks and counters, but it's the least of all possible evils.

In terms of optimizing Suicune, remember that I need it to act as a Dragon counter as well while taking as few turns to set up. Bulky variants need too many turns to calm mind before its effective offensively. Purely offensive variants, while only needing one calm mind, can't take too many hits from the enemy counter. Is there some kind of happy medium here?

Moreover, with Heatran gone, will the lack of a STAB fire move be detrimental for taking out Steels (reduced to HP Fire on Espeon and CB Fire Punch on DNite)? Skarmory in particular can laugh at my options: whirlwind Dnite, hit Espeon until it does (Roost off counterattacks).

Jaroda: I understand the lack of coverage and have tried the sub set before. The results have been mixed. The key to Jaroda in my opinion is to keep him in the field as long as possible to let him rack up boosts. With sub, the most leaf storms you can get off is one if they bring an appropriate scarfed counter. Most of the time, it goes something like this:

Turn 1: Bring in Jaroda, scare opponent, use Substitute. Opponent switches to appropriate counter, lets say Shandera.
Turn 2: Leaf Storm or glare. Shandera uses flamethrower, sub is broken.
Turn 3: Die to flamethrower if leaf stormed in turn two, or leaf storm if glare in turn 2. Either way, does minimal damage and die to flamethrower. True, you neutered Shandera, but you lost Jaroda in the process (not necessarily a fair trade although many would disagree).

However, the good thing about sub sets is their utility out of sweeping. While scarfed sets are stopped cold by 4x resists, sub sets can actually do something to them, whether glaring or HP Fire. Genosekuto in particular will be severely crippled by Glare as most of them are scarfed. Thus, it's a toss up.

Hail does not boost the power of Ice moves. It makes Blizzard 100% accurate, but that's it in terms of affecting Ice moves. It's like how Sandstorm does not increase the power of Ground moves.

Well with paralysis you have a 25% chance of getting a free turn, whether that be a free Substitute or an extra turn of Leaf Storm as well as more Leftovers recovery, thus, allowing for more substitutes.

Also you have three fire attacks. Espeon, Jaroda and Dragonite. That's half your team.

As for countering Dragons, Scizor already does a good job coming in on Outrages and using Bullet Punch. A specially defensive one can (somewhat) handle special Dragons but it will still take a lot of damage from Draco Meteor if it doesn't resist it. This Suicune might be your best bet.

Suicune@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold 236 HP / 20 Df / 252 SpA
Calm Mind
Surf/Boil Over
Ice Beam/HP Electric
HP Electric/Hail

This spread gives you 400 HP (Lefties number), 298 Df (just shy of 300), SpA 279 and SpD 266. After one Calm Mind your SpA will be 420 and your SpD will be 399. That's some great bulk and just enough power to really threaten with Ice Beam. Now if you want a better wall and rain team counter, pick Boil Over, HP Electric and Hail. If you want more of a tank then choose Surf, Ice Beam and HP Electric.

The best rain counter and best dragon counter don't mesh perfectly, but I think this is the best balance you're going to get.

I tried both those sets and have to say, they didn't mesh well with the team. They are excellent sets, but they slow down the game and my team depends on maintaining momentum to win. I settled on an interesting solution: Choice Banded Azumarill

Azumarill @ Choice Band
36 HP / 252 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Being specially defensive, it can take a lot of Ice Beams and Flamethrowers coming my way. It's move set is optimized to maintain momentum whether by knocking off an item on the predicted switch, providing yet another layer of priority, or KOing walls with Superpower. It's backup dragon slayer in case Scizor falls although I donno if it can take such a physical hit from DD dragons. Would love some help with the EV spread.

Now, given the addition of another Choice Bander, Dragonite's role is now in question. Right now, I'm having him as an offensive DD after failing with the mixed attacking set. I now have Azumarill in the lead position as an anti-lead and a bait for rocks (on the Espeon switch).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)