Name:
Dialga
Type: Steel / Dragon
Abilities: Pressure / Telepathy
Base Stats: 100 / 120 / 120 / 150 / 100 / 90
Movepool: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/dialga/moves
Stats and movepool unconfirmed

General Description:

Dialga's secondary Steel typing allows it to hit Fairy types hard with Flash Cannon, separating itself from other Dragons. Though Dialga no longer resists Ghost or Dark type moves, it still has a whopping nine resistances in addition to good overall bulk. In addition, its diverse movepool ensures that it can get a strong hit on the vast majority of the metagame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diagla's secondary typing is nice, Fairy-Arcues and Xerneas will have to think not twice but thrice before switching in to this guy, his Attack is usable, his speed is good enough for a scarf, and is neutral to fairy.

Choice Scarf

Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Bulky

Item: Leftover
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge

Diagla's secondary typing is nice, Fairy-Arcues and Xerneas will have to think not twice but thrice before switching in to this guy, his Attack is usable, his speed is good enough for a scarf, and is neutral to fairy.

Choice Scarf

Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Bulky

Item: Leftover
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge
But wait, aren't Fairy-types mostly Specially Tanked so far? Don't we need to go for the Physical Steel Moves like Iron Tail and Gyro Ball (oh lord, Gyro Ball...)? :P

I've been trying to create an updated mixed Bulk Up set. I feel like Weakness Policy could be a good item for it since Fairy types will shift the set's emphasis from spamming Draco Meteor and Outrage. If you had something like Bulk Up/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/Iron Head, you could lure in Groudon, take an Earthquake and KO with +2 Fire Blast. Then you'd have a +2 Draco Meteor to throw out as well as +3 Iron Head to keep Xerneas from setting up.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've been trying to create an updated mixed Bulk Up set. I feel like Weakness Policy could be a good item for it since Fairy types will shift the set's emphasis from spamming Draco Meteor and Outrage. If you had something like Bulk Up/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/Iron Head, you could lure in Groudon, take an Earthquake and KO with +2 Fire Blast. Then you'd have a +2 Draco Meteor to throw out as well as +3 Iron Head to keep Xerneas from setting up.
You lack the speed to properly abuse weakness policy and even if groudon dies after activating weakness policy, whatever comes in afterwards will either force dialga out or kill it. AV dialga sounds cool though

even if groudon dies after activating weakness policy, whatever comes in afterwards will either force dialga out or kill it.
And how is that different than any other Dialga set? The point of Mixed BU Dialga is to be a strong special attacker that isn't automatically walled by the pink blobs. If Dialga lures in and KOs Groudon, it's done its job. Dialga's not really trying to abuse WP; WP is just better than Draco Plate now so Dialga will still be an immediate threat after taking out Groudon rather than being locked into Outrage or at -2 Sp. Attack.

Eriorguez: I have thought about this too, and the answer is yes. Will it a massive game changer or stand alone set? No. Can it be utilized like Lustrous Orb Palkia? Yes. Will it be utilized very much this metagame? Maybe. But the lack of usage will probably make it more viable because shock value is always a powerful wildcard to have in your deck. And the initial inability to distinguish adamant orb with a choice scarf, lum berry, or e belt could give you some shock value.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
There are two Fairy Pokemon actually worthy of the tier, of which one (Arceus) is not that common due to opportunity cost and the other will crush you one on one. On a Pokemon with so many better options, a move with such poor coverage is seriously a wasted moveslot (unless specifically using an item that restricts you to attacking moves, such as AV/choice items).

Expert Belt, I've been using this and it's doing really well:

Dialga @ Expert Belt
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunder / Power Gem
- Flash Cannon

It completely dismantles rainstall teams with this coverage.

Last edited:
I see a return of the CB Dialga set from Gen 4, but with the addition of Iron Head/Tail being slapped onto it's movepool.

Dialga @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant/Brave Nature
- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Iron Head/Iron Tail
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Overheat

While the dual-STABs are obvious on the choices, but Stone Miss and EQ are needed as well. Stone Edge to hit Ho-Oh's that believe they have free set-up, and EQ for more coverage. However, with Ferrothorn that is still running around in Ubers, Overheat is an option to smack Ferro and not be completely walled by it.

CB Dialga has never been a thing and never will be; it's Scald-prone and inferior to Special in pretty much every way.

With Ghosteus not being as prevalent in Gen6 as the previous Gen, I've found Roar isn't as necessary on Dialga (plus introduction of a new Ghosteus check in Yveltal) which gives you room for Flash Cannon to nail Fairies and Rockeus. Fire Blast / Thunder as the last move. I can't see myself using Assault Velt; Dialga is such a good Stealth Rocker that not using Stealth Rock on it is a waste unless it's Scarfed.

However, I do suck rather large amounts of cock if I do say so myself.

Last edited:
CB Dialga has never been a thing and never will be; it's Scald-prone and inferior to Special in pretty much every way.

With Ghosteus not being as prevalent in Gen6 as the previous Gen, I've found Roar isn't as necessary on Dialga (plus introduction of a new Ghosteus check in Yveltal) which gives you room for Flash Cannon to nail Fairies and Rockeus. Fire Blast / Thunder as the last move. I can't see myself using Assault Velt; Dialga is such a good Stealth Rocker that not using Stealth Rock on it is a waste unless it's Scarfed.

However, I do suck rather large amounts of cock if I do say so myself.
I didn't say it'd be the new meta, I just said that it'd probably be used again. Also, The Legend Waker said most Fairy-Types are SpDefensive, not Physically, which is why I brought up the old CB set.

Tbh I have been running it and it's been fun using it, I especially when people who attempt to set-up a Geomancy with Xerneas expecting a free sweep, and they just get smacked by a Iron Head (of course going for Roar with the standard Defensive Dialga set is one way.)

Also, CB Dialga was a thing: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/dialga <<<<<< Scroll down to see the set.

Usable Fairys are as physically defensive as they are specially defenisve fyi- support Arceus and Xerneas is what I refer to. CB Dialga is horrendous, especially in a meta where Will-o-wisp Arceus roam at every corner.

Player-0

(*′☉.̫☉)
With kahn in ubers now, do you think that it will play a common role as counters to dialga and the rare arceus steel?

Especially in a meta where Will-o-wisp Arceus roam at every corner.
I've rarely seen any Arceus carry Will-O-Wisp, I've mostly been seeing EKiller's and Calm Mind variants (that's me, but still.) However with the recent Mega-Kanga ban I see it happening.

Also, I was not saying CB Dialga was a great option to use, just was a fun option if you got bored. Now, can we not continue a pointless argument?

Now, Dialga's niche this gen as the OP posted above is that it's a Steel-Type, which would most definitely gain him usage. Flash Cannon would most definitely become an option for most of his sets (as posts above suggested the sets with it.)

So, would Fairies make Adamant Orb viable?
I'm pretty sure it could, but not too too much.

With kahn in ubers now, do you think that it will play a common role as counters to dialga and the rare arceus steel?
And to answer your question, no, Kangaskhan can't switch in on Dialga's Draco Meteor or Aura Sphere, so it isn't anything close to a counter. :[

Is there a viable way to run assault vest dialga? I was thinking with so many resistances and the ability to switch into moonblasts he will tank xerneas all day long, possiblly KO, and after thats done he can still phaze with dragon tail.

Is there a viable way to run assault vest dialga? I was thinking with so many resistances and the ability to switch into moonblasts he will tank xerneas all day long, possiblly KO, and after thats done he can still phaze with dragon tail.
It doesn't resist Moonblast though. Can it really handle it?

After running some calcs here are the results:

+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Timid Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Bold Dialga: 220-259 (64.5 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Timid Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Calm Dialga: 201-237 (58.9 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Scarfed 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Modest Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dialga: 111-132 (32.5 - 38.7%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO

Scarfed 252 SpA Fairy Aura Timid Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dialga: 102-120 (29.9 - 35.1%) -- 16.1% chance to 3HKO

This is my support xerneas

0 SpA Calm Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dialga: 84-99 (24.6 - 29%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO

On the other hand Dialgas flash cannon results in this:

0 SpA Calm Dialga Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Calm Xerneas: 180-212 (39.4 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Calm Dialga Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Timid Xerneas: 234-276 (51.3 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Dialga Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 296-350 (75.3 - 89%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Dialga Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 252-296 (64.1 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

However since xerneas tends to be tankier on the SpD side i ran some calcs using dialgas attack stat and iron head

252- Atk Dialga Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 234-276 (51.3 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs the all out white herb variants and scarfed

252- Atk Dialga Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 290-344 (73.7 - 87.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This is interesting meaning he could take a hit and possibly hko back always safely 2hko no matter what variant is the xerneas running, however he absolutely needs the assault vest and +SpD nature to make this work

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Assault Vest Dialga is far from a solid Xerneas check, and worse it has to run really awkward sets to best check it (inferior moves and inferior EV spreads). It really is not a great Assault Vest user in general. Stealth Rock is one of Dialga's main appeals (it is simply outclassed as an all out attacker) and its power is somewhat disappointing without some sort of boosting item. It really becomes one of those awkward jack of all trades Pokemon which really do not function too well in this metagame - it is not particularly powerful offensively, and defensively it has good bulk and typing but no recovery or support moves to capitalize on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)