ORAS OU Distant Land - AM (1800+ Peak)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Distant Land - AM

Proof of Peak

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-349309421

Introduction

For those who are unaware of who I am, my name is AM (no not Ace Matador, it was mere coincidence, you can politely stfu with that now you IRC grandpas). Most people on the forums know me as an OU Forum regular who involves himself in most of bigger projects on the forum such as Viability Rankings and Teambuilding Workshop. I'm also one of the room owners of Competitive Tutoring alongside Eyan, MrAldoPls, Kreme, and former RMT ladies man Trinitrotoluene where I spend my days looking like that uncle you kind of enjoy having around but would rather not invite to a family gathering. When I'm not doing that or preoccupied with real life I provide my quality input on the OU Council which in reality is just hearing guys complain about M-Sableye who don't know what a stall-breaker is, more or less absolutely nothing these days....yet.

This is another team that gloats about ladder success on the RMT Forum in its title on a ladder where you can train a chimp to go high ladder if you had the resources and time to actually invest in that. It's a pretty basic bulky offense / volt-turn team utilizing M-Aerodactyl and Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound as the foundation. The teams end goal will always be one of three things, M-Aerodactyl cleaning up offensive teams, Hoopa-U cleaning up bulky teams, Garchomp sweeping with SubSD Salac. Wins normally came down to how successful you pulled one of these off so rates should keep that in mind. I stopped at around 1800 and didn't bother going any higher out of boredom and just life so perhaps it can go higher if I mustered the care to do so. Anyways on to the team.

Team-building Process

The origins of this team started in the OU Teambuilding Workshop where this was a core a user wanted to have a team around. The user Tio Chico originally asked for a Choice Band set for Hoopa-U. I figured instead of using a set that does absolutely 0 for M-Aerodactyl why not use Hoopa-Unbounds most busted set in Choice Specs. Added Pursuit on M-Aerodactyl cause Pursuit is fantastic for other Hoopas, Torn-T, and trapping and removing a target out of the picture (such as the M-Medicham in the replay). I knew I wanted to build some bulky offense around the two considering it felt like the best playstyle and most comfortable to use so I proceeded to add the two most basic pivots in the tier right now as seen below. God I'm so good.

Rotom-Ws ability to pivot and provide momentum for Hoopa and M-Aerodactyl is somewhat absurd at times along with its utility in checking sand, passing burns, checking Talonflame alongside M-Aerodactyl, and alongside Tornadus-T is able to provide momentum to the team at almost all times. AV Torn-T is one of the best pivots in the tier for its ability to pivot into a bunch of special attackers stomaching attacks from Specs Hoopa-U barring Psyshock, Keldeo (to an extent obviously), Latis, remove Items with Knock Off, a secondary check to M-Venusaur, the list goes on. The majority of Torn-Ts checks are destroyed by either M-Aerodactyl or Hoopa-U which makes the ease of utilizing the volt-turn core a breeze.

Adding the basics then filling the slots for team functionality is the most basic of goals when finishing a team and this team is no different. I needed a consistent rocker on the team that was preferably a steel type who could provide both offensive and defensive utility for the volt-turn + offensive backbone to fall back on. Heatran fit the role perfectly, serving as a more legitimate Lati switch in, with an offensive variant to keep mons such as Mega Scizor at bay. I also needed the famed win condition and I wanted to go for something more anti-offense to supplement Hoopa-Unbounds wall-breaking prowess while taking advantage of certain pursuiters and choice mons such as ScarfTar trapping Hoopa-Unbound. In theory SubSD Salac Garchomp seemed like it could work so I went with that and inevitably sweeped a bunch of teams in the process. It ended up being perfect for the team in my eyes.
In-Depth Analysis

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Pursuit
- Taunt / Aqua Tail

M-Aerodactyl was one of the mons that the user wanted someone to build around so here it is. M-Aerodactyl's high speed tier allows it to be a great offensive check to a number of Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny and Tornadus-Therian while having utility in Pursuit to trap Alakazam, the Lati formes, and pretty much anything below its speed tier within KO range. The moveset itself is pretty basic and customized to the team. Stone Edge and Wing Attack are the two STAB moves to net hits on Charizard-Y, Serperior, basically anything susceptible to rock or flying moves, Pursuit as previously mentioned to trap targets for supplementing the team. I've kept Taunt for the majority of time because using Heatran as its only Taunt user made the team susceptible to the likes of Clefable and defensive oriented builds that include but are not limited to Skarmory, Mew, Hippowdon, Chansey, and so on. Aqua Tail I've been considering as an option to put more applied pressure on M-Diancie and Terrakion but I normally go back to using Taunt due to how useful its been for more fatter teams. There's also the option of Fire Fang for steels but I think the team handles most of them perfectly fine.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

This is your standard Choice Specs Hoopa set you'll see and you really don't need anything else as far as other options go. Dark Pulse blows back just about every non Dark resist in the tier, Psyshock either 2hkos or destroys most specially defensive walls who again don't resist the move. Focus Blast is for Tyranitar and on occasion mons like Terrakion who thinks it's a good idea to switch into Dark Pulse. Thunderbolts main target is Mandibuzz but its also a nifty option in certain prediction games where one of the other three moves may not be the right option to use at the time where Thunderbolt can be fired off freely. In tandem with two pivots onto a team, which is the most basic of Specs Hoopa teambuilding formulas these days, this is what has propelled Hoopa-Unbounds status to suspect worthy status amongst the majority of its OU community. If anti-ban dudes are saying yes to this being busted normally that's a sign hahaha.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W is Rotom-W. It's been doing the same thing for a couple of years now and shines in a tier that cements itself into a more bulky offensive inclined meta-game. It serves as a momentum provider to the team through Volt Switch, passing around burns with Will-O-Wisp, checking threats like Excadrill on Sand Offenses and Balances. Rotom-W forces a lot of threats like Latios and Serperior out for team-mates such as Tornadus-T and Hoopa who can take advantage of after a calculated Volt Switch. The speed investment provides it enough speed to outpace Adamant Bisharp variants so that it can burn them. You can opt for more speed to hit the Jolly variants but I think that's kind of a lot for a team like this.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

One of the best pivots and mons in the tier, Tornadus-Therian. The AV set when played well doesn't die and is one of the best tools in grabbing momentum through the use of U-Turn. Everything about this set is standard and nothing is particularly special other than just enough EVs in Special Attack for Keldeo. Hurricane is STAB, Knock Off removes items such as Leftovers, Heat Wave nets hits on Ferrothorn and steels, U-Turn completes the volt-turn core with Rotom-Wash. AV Torn-T is one of the last counter-measures to Hoopa-U in the tier right now having the luxury to switch into Specs Hoopa relatively ok barring Psyshock. This is normally the switch into Keldeo which I guess is a shame but it does handle the pony decently so nothing too worrying in terms of a threat list.

Garchomp @ Salac Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

This Garchomp set is not prepared for adequately enough when combined with partners like Magnezone and Hoopa-U, I'm guilty of it as well shit happens. If you want free points on the ladder use this set btw, all those goon based offenses ladder tryhards like to rely on keel over to this set. It puts an immense amount of pressure on your typical bulky offenses through the wall-breaking powers that Swords Dance provides while posing the threat of a cleaner through Salac Berry. SD Garchomps are already known for ripping wholes through the normal sand teams but Substitue adds on to that pressure while being able to block Status from the likes of Rotom-W, setting up on more passive Heatran variants as well. In order for the set to succeed normally you would wear down a teams steel to where Garchomp is in range of cleaning. Hoopa-U, Rotom-W, and Heatran normally help with this goal so when using this set keep that in mind. The EV spread is the one on the dex. I could probably put together a better one but I'm too lazy and figured that would be the important thing to do when rating the team. It should be able to OHKO or come real close to at least, standard CM MG Clefable after an SD if you have an EV spread in mind.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is a pretty customizable pokemon and fantastic at role compression, fitting on a number of playstyles effectively. I went with the basic offensive Air Balloon variant to relieve pressure from the likes of Zard-X, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Mega Venusaur while going Earth Power for breaking down other Heatrans and Taunt to slow down defensive Pokemon and set up sweepers such as Clefable. I tried Leftovers at first but I think Air Balloon is more reliable on a team with no hazard removal where Spikes can wear down Heatran quickly. There's not a whole lot to stay about Heatran other than the original implementation of it came about for when past versions of the team were M-Scizor weak along with the steel type for an easy Fairy Switch in. It's an emergency button for M-Diancie in late game scenarios which can be annoying.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-349284156 - Some dude
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-349289853 - Costa getting familiar with the X button
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-349295943 - No idea
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-349302063 - Apparently the best teambuilder
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-349309421 - A match that I actually enjoyed.

Threatlist

Mega Diancie isn't particularly bad more so annoying. Sometimes it can put a good amount of pressure on the team if the countermeasure is weakened and normally needs to be down to half for M-Aerodactyl to threaten it.

Weavile is not particularly bad either but somewhat of an annoyance. If it's the Life Orb variant that's where you'll usually have issues. Any other variant is ez pz.

Thundurus can be a massive headache. Setting up rocks to keep it at bay is super important. Normally it's going to be any Thunder Wave variant that gives you issues. No Thunder Wave variants are perfectly manageable.

The sets you'll have to worry about for Hoopa-Unbound is the Specs and Band variants. The Salac set is a bit garbage against this team for being exploitable to M-Aeros pursuit. When you come up against one a combination of M-Aero + Torn-T will usually be how you handle it. Life Orb just sucks so there's not a huge worry for that set either.

Bisharp is fortunately kind of lackluster in a lot of matches its in but if it sets up an SD and is the Lum Berry variant specifically it can be an annoyance as well. If it's not SD or isn't Lum Berry you should be usually good.

Klefki isn't really the issue but more so certain Spike based offenses. A well played one alongside something like Bisharp and M-Alakazam is annoying. It's not really the end of the world but there's that to consider.

So glad M-Altaria is so garbage these days that it barely is worth entertaining a serious build around it. If it's the offensive Dragon Dance variant with enough speed for say Weavile or higher that's usually where problems will lie. The Earthquake variants are the issue but considering how lame of a mon it is (lol man this was so strong at one time you guys remember that?) it's not hard to keep it under control.

Forgot to put this one (thanks Tokyo Tom for reminding me). It can't necessarily come in on anything reliably but if it does get in safely for whatever reason it can put a huge dent into any team-mate. M-Aerodactyl can threaten it out but doesn't qualify as a switch in of sorts and only in an emergency.

I think any other threats not mentioned here is manageable for better or worse.

Conclusion

So nothing too exciting but I enjoy using this team, regardless of its flaws that are obviously open to interpretation. As far as rates goes a big focus should be EV customization and maybe minor move changes. There's a good chance I've thought of other variants for each mon in question even weird options like Knock Off on the last slot to remove AV from Torn-T to OHKO it with Dark Pulse later :p. If you suggest to use Tankchomp or Defensive Lando-T anywhere in your rate I assure you I will laugh with total enjoyment the next time you get haxed out of a loss. There's a pretty high chance I won't be laddering for awhile after gems such as this one in some of my rage induced sessions.

★Angry Mimes: go back in your dumpster
★Angry Mimes: where you belong

Lol good stuff.

Shout-Outs

The entirety of Competitive Tutorings staff and regulars. Definitely a big part as to why I'm still around enjoying this community and game and you're all great people.

The builders in the Teambuilding Workshop for helping me with some preliminary testing and tuning of the team, putting up with my Vertex level ideas. Also includes anybody in the teambuilders workshop chat who isn't a builder but enjoys putting up with my shit enough to keep coming back hehe.

The OU QC Team you guys always spark fun discussions and keeps the creative juices flowing. You also don't make me cringe as opposed to some of the finest OU players that embody its supposed community which is a plus these days so thanks for that.

Vertex for showing me Specs Hoopa originally before people caught on to it in the tour scene with his brain numbing SubToxic Ninjask team on ladder. Good god the fact you hit 1900 with that team Idk whether to laugh, cry, or be furious. Maybe I'll try to do it all at once and see how that goes.

Importable
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Pursuit
- Taunt

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Salac Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
Stay Miming,
Angry Mimes

Updated Importable 4/18/2016
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Pursuit
- Fire Fang

Latios @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Happiness: 0
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there AM
! It is your friend, Tokyo Tom
!

That's a cool team you have there
I really like the way your 6 Pokémon work together to do amazing things
. But, I think there are some changes you could make to potentially make your 6 Pokémon do even amazing-er things
!

The first thing I notice about this team is that while it appears to be a hyper-offensive styled team, it can be quite susceptible to opposing offensively-oriented Pokémon (think, say,
, or even
)
. These Pokémon can often be paired with a bulkier supportive core that can give them a lot of opportunities to switch in and wreak havoc. With some smart play or adequate pressure from momentum-gaining moves, these Pokémon can potentially cause a lot of grief to this team, since the majority of the team is not fast nor bulky enough to properly handle them, especially without the support of hazard-stack that a lot of hyper-offensive builds use to limit the opponents' switchins
!

Your team is otherwise solid and the roles of the Pokémon are largely set in stone, so there isn't much I can suggest without changing the entire dynamic of the team
. However, one thing you can try is a Double Dance
@
over your
. This change gives the team a bit more defensive presence, and provides a slightly easier win-condition against opposing frail offensive builds. It will buffer you a bit more against the three Pokémon I mentioned, as well as some of the other threats you listed, such as
, and
. Of course, this means that SD
can give you some real headaches
. To help remedy this, I think you can afford to slot in Earthquake / Fire Fang somewhere on your Aerodactyl to limit Bisharp's maneuverability as much as possible!

...W-what!? The team would also be weaker to
and
, you say!?
Hmm, while I think these threats are easier dealt with by your team than the ones Landorus-T handles, something you could try is Icy Wind over Knock Off on Tornadus-T. Not only does this weaken a lot of your own Landorus-T's counters, but it also allows Tornadus-T to act as a better pivot against Manaphy and Charizard-Y, allowing your team to outspeed them in dire situations! I think Knock Off is a more expendable moveslot than any of Tornadus-T's other current moves (while definitely useful, it doesn't appear to be /necessary/ coverage), and this change helps buffer you out against a lot of threats! ~Uwaa! Sometimes I can't get over my own genius
!

Unfortunately that brings us to the end of this rate
! I'm really sad it's over but I hope you had fun, because I sure did! Although these changes are untested, I hope you will try them out and perhaps your team will be even better than before (if that were possible
). Oh no, look at the time! I gotta run! See you later
!

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Hi there AM
! It is your friend, Tokyo Tom
!

That's a cool team you have there
I really like the way your 6 Pokémon work together to do amazing things
. But, I think there are some changes you could make to potentially make your 6 Pokémon do even amazing-er things
!

The first thing I notice about this team is that while it appears to be a hyper-offensive styled team, it can be quite susceptible to opposing offensively-oriented Pokémon (think, say,
, or even
)
. These Pokémon can often be paired with a bulkier supportive core that can give them a lot of opportunities to switch in and wreak havoc. With some smart play or adequate pressure from momentum-gaining moves, these Pokémon can potentially cause a lot of grief to this team, since the majority of the team is not fast nor bulky enough to properly handle them, especially without the support of hazard-stack that a lot of hyper-offensive builds use to limit the opponents' switchins
!

Your team is otherwise solid and the roles of the Pokémon are largely set in stone, so there isn't much I can suggest without changing the entire dynamic of the team
. However, one thing you can try is a Double Dance
@
over your
. This change gives the team a bit more defensive presence, and provides a slightly easier win-condition against opposing frail offensive builds. It will buffer you a bit more against the three Pokémon I mentioned, as well as some of the other threats you listed, such as
, and
. Of course, this means that SD
can give you some real headaches
. To help remedy this, I think you can afford to slot in Earthquake / Fire Fang somewhere on your Aerodactyl to limit Bisharp's maneuverability as much as possible!

...W-what!? The team would also be weaker to
and
, you say!?
Hmm, while I think these threats are easier dealt with by your team than the ones Landorus-T handles, something you could try is Icy Wind over Knock Off on Tornadus-T. Not only does this weaken a lot of your own Landorus-T's counters, but it also allows Tornadus-T to act as a better pivot against Manaphy and Charizard-Y, allowing your team to outspeed them in dire situations! I think Knock Off is a more expendable moveslot than any of Tornadus-T's other current moves (while definitely useful, it doesn't appear to be /necessary/ coverage), and this change helps buffer you out against a lot of threats! ~Uwaa! Sometimes I can't get over my own genius
!

Unfortunately that brings us to the end of this rate
! I'm really sad it's over but I hope you had fun, because I sure did! Although these changes are untested, I hope you will try them out and perhaps your team will be even better than before (if that were possible
). Oh no, look at the time! I gotta run! See you later
!
With the Hoopa-U suspect taking place I can't test Hoopa-Unbounds impact with the team but I went ahead and changed Garchomp to Double Dance Lando-T like you mentioned and it's doing great. I also went with Fire Fang M-Aerodactyl which has deterred the usual Spikers, Skarmory and Ferrothorn being the annoying ones, from setting up Spikes to pressure Heatran so these two suggestions were great as well. I had Yache Lando-T originally but without Hoopa-U it became a bit more weaker to defensive builds so I ended up going Lum Berry on it for threats such as M-Sableye. I guess it's interchangeable depending on the setting you're playing in but I've found both options equally valid.

I'm gonna wait until the results of the suspect test and testing to post a changed version but as of now I'm looking into running 3 attacks / Trick Choice Specs Gengar on the Hoopa Slot for its higher speed tier to make up the weaknesses in being weaker to those base 100s you mentioned. My only gripe about losing Knock Off on Torn-T is I can't threaten the Lati twins and mons such as Starmie as easily without the move but I still haven't had time to test the possibility of Icy Wind. I originally considered Hydreigon but it misses the speed tiers I'm looking to hit and threaten and some of the utilities Gengar has like baiting out stuff like Scarftar to provide Lando-T set up opportunities. My idea with the two potential options is that it keeps the majority of the team from being Spike weak while having some specially offensive presence to balance out the teams offensive potential, most specifically Dark / Ghost. The big one though is being less weak to Spikes which is why I'm thinking of those two mons.

This is a fantastic rate (I told you this in OU QC channel anyways but still) so thanks a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)