Effective Offensive Combinations

Truly, some of the best offensive combos aren't 100% offensive. TR Claydol (or pretty much any tr user with explosion) who uses tr then explosion followed by a frighteningly powerful, slow physical sweeper is a devastating combo. Guts ursaring, a slow ttar, or rhyperior are all great choices. Clamperl is devastating on the special side. A slow Heatran could even work. All your opponent can do is send out snorlax, which is also a great option for you to use. There's a lot of material out there about Trick Room that you can read up on.

Another one: Rapid Spinner and Sd Weavile. Rapid Spinner clears the way for a Focus Sash SD Vile to come in. Claydol is again a great rapid spinner who can spin then explode, so you can switch in Weavile safely. Use the sash to take a hit, SD, sweep. Especially great late game as not much can stop a sweeping Weavile. Other things can set up this way too. Maybe a spin=>tr=>explode claydol setting up for a sashed power trick shuckle.

I'm going to put something down that may appear a little controversal at first, but I love hyper offensive teams and it does not get much more offensive than this.

Choice Specs Latias, Choice Scarf Heatran, and Choice Band Flygon resist every type and status effect aside from sleep in the game together, are all immune to Tspikes/not weak to Stealth Rock, and have similar (enough) counters. These particular sets are choice'd, and yes I understand fully that most players feel that the burden of overloading a team with choice items results in a strong possiblity that the opponent will set up on the switch. Typically this is true, but with these three I find that unless the opponent has an in-depth knowledge of my team, they will trip up and holes will appear quickly.

First off, the natures and movesets I use are...

Latias@ Choice Specs
Timid: 4HP, 252SAtk, 252 Spd
Draco Meteor
Trick
Dragon Pulse
Surf

Heatran@ Choice Scarf
Naive: 252SAtk, 28SDef, 228Spd
Fire Blast
Explosion
Earth Power
Will-O-Wisp

Flygon@ Choice Band (the scarf limits his punch too much for this trio)
Adamant: 4HP, 252Atk, 252 Spd
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Outrage
U-Turn

Latias hates pursuit users like Tyranitar, Scizor, Heracross just to name a few... A choice band Adamant Flygon will achieve a clean OHKO on a Tyranitar or 2HKO every time with U-turn and stealth rock or spikes. Heatran cleans up the latter rather profoundly with his fire move. Obviously this happens on the double switch to avoid the pursuit.

Secondly, Latias hates special walls. that's what trick is for, and that's what Heatran's Explosion is for. Obviously, I know that this particular Heatran's Explosion will not OHKO a Blissey, for instance, but that's not the point, as you were supposed to trick it. But your opponent instead sent in a bulky water predicting Heatran instead, so we need a back-up plan. The point of Explosion is to sacrifice one party member in order to put the team in the most advantageous position, right? Well, since this trio is choice'd, it is better to nearly KO with Explosion and follow up with Flygon's U-turn in the likely event that they are not willing to part with blissey just yet. So on the switch to save Blissey... out comes Latias... choice'd... and with a move unselected. That's Blissey and some other poor sap down. Haha, you have no special wall. Eat blue rocks now.

Okay, time for Heatran. Yes, I know he's EV'd funnilly, let me tell you why. He's not getting anywhere special with 277 speed instead of 271. Salamence runs 280 or 270 on his dragon dance sets, and since he is the fastest thing that this Heatran will be countering, this is the best compromise. the extra EV's were put into Special Defense to help off-set the minus SDef nature a best as possible.

This particular Heatran has a bit of a spiteful mentality and his moveset reflects that. It's simple, his job is to weaken walls, prevent sweeps and force force uncertainty onto the opponent. "Do I Ice Beam this Latias, or do I Surf the Heatran switch?" So onto some details:
Heatran has 406 speed. Heatran will not hesitate to explode on a sweeper. Gyarados, in particular, who leaves home with less than 271 speed on a regular basis. This Heatran also carries four moves which frustrate Magnezone. Obviously Fire Blast and Earth Power OHKO, and Explosion brings the counter in, but the fourth move's utility is often overlooked. WoW will prevent Magnezone's Explosion from being nearly as effective and will remove his lefties recovery or compound damage with his Life Orb recoil. Dugtrio is in a similar boat as all four moves of Heatran's moves will nearly KO or cripple him as he comes in for the revenge kill.
Phew. That's two of Heatran's biggest problems off the map.

Next up is BULKY WATERS. This is simple but important. Burn them. Toxic is actually not better to use in this case as a burn will cause more damage on the first two turns after the switch than bad poison would. This is good because there will be a lot of switching with this trio. The best part is that later on, we can exploit those poor bulky waters with Flygon's Choice Banded Outrage. Snorlax also falls into the burn target catagory, and he is so fun to trick with Latias. Finally, random guts users obviously should be taught to stay out with a well placed Fire Blast.
Phew. The third and final member of this combination is Flygon. Flygon was picked to resist the one type that Heatran and Latias don't. Rock. He boasts a unique collection of resistances, but most notably... the rock/ground combo. Flygon happily takes those Thunderwaves and Discharges which Latias does not want any part of. Flygon also does the typical scout with U-turn and functions in conjunction with Heatran as Surf/Hydro Pump bait for Latias to switch into. People tend to assume that whatever counters the almighty Salamence - counters Flygon. This is not true. Flygon 2HKO's that wackjob Porygon2 with Outrage, and will OHKO every Metagross with stealth rock damage as long as there is no shucca berry involved.

Flygon hates physical walls. His strategy is to U-turn out and let the other two do the heavy lifting. Hippowdon, Gliscor and pretty much any other physical walls are OHKO'd by Draco Meteor, The floating steel types are quickly dealt with by Heatran's STAB Fire Blast. Also Gyarados Eats a WoW from Heatran or a Draco Meteor from Latias.
Anywho. I kinda got carried away here, but offensive combinations are made possible by switching in on resists or being so bulky that it really does not matter that you are carrying a neutral attack. Type resistance is very important to minimize damage to these sweepers as they are too busy keeping the pressure up to recover. Explosion, Trick and U-turn are the saving graces for these three choice users.

Oh, and *BUMP* I guess. =p

+

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Modest - Torrent
12 HP, 252 SpA, 244 Spe

- Agility
- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam

+

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Adamant - Dry Skin
252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe

- Swords Dance
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

In general, there are only 2 things to stop an Empoleon sweep: Blissey and Bulky Waters.
Toxicroak can set up on Bulky Waters and Blissey due to Dry Skin and Taunt.
There is only 1 thing that really bothers this combination: Infernape with priority.
When Empoleon is in Torrent range,
Infernape can KO with Mach Punch or Vacuum Wave and KO Toxicroak with Flare Blitz, Fire Punch or Flamethrower.
Therefore, a Starmie or Gyarados can come in handy.
Usually though, either Empoleon or Toxicroak sweeps a team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)