Electrical Thread

ITT describe and discuss your own EE adventures. This can range anywhere from speakers to robotics to microprocessors (EE = electrical engineering).

Personally, I'm going into my senior high school year and have an EMI testing internship. I plan to attend an EE program this summer at a college for two weeks as well. I love speaker design, although AC theory is still a monster to learn. I have decent experience with power from robotics, but that's it. Oh, and I designed a brushless DC motor controller.

My question is what is the simplest way for me to understand MOSFET operation and current-voltage control on BJTs (quite different but yea)?

Sweet.

I'm going into my 3rd year of engineering this fall (but only my 2nd semester of EE. I'm a bit behind haha). I took a digital logic class a while back and that's what made me want to switch majors. After taking an intro circuits class, I'm glad I did. Really interesting stuff.

I haven't really had much hands on experience yet, other than little things here and there, but my roommate and I are planning on making a theremin once he gets back in state. It will probably be an absolute mess.

It's good to hear that you're getting into it as early as you are. My high school didn't have ANY kind of electrical courses/groups or internship programs. u_u
I feel like such a nub knowing you're doing all of this before you even graduate. Good for you.

Well the thing is the only bit of EE my school offers is robotics. I mean it's good, but it's literally "plug this is here, power here, etc.". I really try to go out on my own and figure this stuff out. The equipment is expensive as hell and I can't wrap my mind around certain things when your guide isn't a teacher, but rather a book or internet page. I'd love to take logic classes or even understand some mid-level TTL. And the internship is solely me going out and getting connections ;) and thanks a bunch!

ITT describe and discuss your own EE adventures. This can range anywhere from speakers to robotics to microprocessors (EE = electrical engineering).

Personally, I'm going into my senior high school year and have an EMI testing internship. I plan to attend an EE program this summer at a college for two weeks as well. I love speaker design, although AC theory is still a monster to learn. I have decent experience with power from robotics, but that's it. Oh, and I designed a brushless DC motor controller.

My question is what is the simplest way for me to understand MOSFET operation and current-voltage control on BJTs (quite different but yea)?
I'm entering my third year of EE and I have no idea what any of this stuff is. Did you teach yourself a lot of that stuff or was your school just competent?

EDIT: seems you've answered this. I'd suggest looking at the MIT online courses site. There's a few good EE courses there, and you can probably find more courses online at other universities sites.

seems you've answered this. I'd suggest looking at the MIT online courses site. There's a few good EE courses there, and you can probably find more courses online at other universities sites.
While I do have some good success in school (95 gpa this year :D), I'm not at MIT levels. I'm taking a short class at Stony Brook University for two weeks though, and I hope to do even more next summer. My internship at the testing lab is also nice because I learn a lot about emi and what you CAN'T do. I'd love to do MIT, but I don't even know if it'd be worth it to apply =/

While I do have some good success in school (95 gpa this year :D), I'm not at MIT levels. I'm taking a short class at Stony Brook University for two weeks though, and I hope to do even more next summer. My internship at the testing lab is also nice because I learn a lot about emi and what you CAN'T do. I'd love to do MIT, but I don't even know if it'd be worth it to apply =/
You should apply. It won't hurt. And if you get accepted and for some reason don't want to do it, you can still decline. It's always nice to have options.

Also, MIT has a lot of free resources that could potentially be very helpful:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#electrical-engineering-and-computer-science

This isn't quite what you were looking for, but here's an example of some material:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...iconductor-devices-spring-2003/lecture-notes/

Some notes are better than others.

Well of course it's not gonna click if you go for "advanced circuit techniques", that's an advanced course. Even the solid state course you mentioned on that site is a grad-level course, designed for people who have been studying this stuff for four years already. That's four years of designing, analyzing, and building circuits and devices.

It sounds like you have some experience, but if I were you, I would still start out with the introduction courses - they may contain some information that you already know, but will help you understand it better, and will teach you new stuff, as well. "Circuits and Electronics" and "Signals and Systems" sound like good starting points, and hey - AC systems and mosfets are discussed in "Circuits and Electronics"!

As for myself, I am studying mechanical engineering, and have an internship as a mechanical engineer, but I work as an engineer at my campus's radio station, which heavily involves electronics and RF. Since I'm not really studying that stuff, I'm a bit lost some of the time, especially with the RF stuff - RF propagation gets really weird, and sometimes I'm not quite sure if anyone really knows how it works, but I have several electrical engineers that I can talk to, and they're always really handy for explaining a lot of this stuff to me.

I actually spend a lot more time around the studio, working with our jungle of cables, terminal blocks, amplifiers, and whatnot, or soldering things. It's a good time.

Just made my first circuit with an arduino uno :] still new to coding though so I had to use the Arduino environment rather than C =/

Turn a 10k pot and go 0-9 on a 7-segment display. I used a 4-bit binary decoder to 7-seg, and I also tacked on an LED controlled off of the 7-seg number. The 0-9 determines the LED brightness via PWM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)