Other Metagames entomophobia

entomophobia - an offensive bug monotype team
[import]
introduction

Hello, welcome to my first Sun/Moon RMT. I built this team around Buzzwole, which is an amazing replacement for Mega Heracross (whose Mega Stone is currently unavailable). It benefits from Sticky Web support provided by Shuckle, allowing it to become a fearsome wallbreaker, as its base Speed is not very high. I managed to do decently well on the ladder with this team, being able to peak above 1600s multiple times. Without further ado, let's get into my thought process behind choosing the Pokemon on my team:
teambuilding process

My original motivation to build a Bug monotype team was this core, like I previously stated. Not only can Shuckle get up Sticky Web but it can also get up Stealth Rock to wear down the opposing team and break possible Focus Sashes.
I added Mega Pinsir next, as it appreciates the wallbreaking power that Buzzwole provides, making it easier for Mega Pinsir to clean up late-game. Being able to use Mega Pinsir is one of the benefits of using Buzzwole over Mega Heracross, as it does not take up the Mega evolution slot.
Knowing my lack of Special Attackers, I added Volcarona. High Speed and Special Attack coupled with one of the greatest set up moves in the game, Quiver Dance, makes it one of the best Special Attackers available to Bug teams.
With Stealth Rock up, I realized Mega Metagross blows back my entire team with ease. I added Scizor, whose typing provides a large amount of helpful resists and can deal a large amount of damage to Mega Metagross with Technician-boosted Brutal Swing.
Lastly, I needed a way to get rid of Stealth Rock from my side of the field, as most of my team does not appreciate switching in on them at all. Rapid Spin Armaldo was the best option available and although it does stack the Rock/Bug typing that Shuckle possesses, it severely outclasses Forretress as a Rapid Spin user and was thus my choice for the last Pokemon on my team.
in-depth explanation

@ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Knock Off

Starting off with my hazard setter and my lead in most matchups, Shuckle does an excellent job at setting up Stealth Rock and Sticky Web. Encore is amazing, as it stops threats such as opposing Mega Pinsir for setting up for free on it. Knock Off is nice mainly due to being able to hinder some Pokemon by removing their items. This can be game-changing at times because knocking off Choice-items can help the team greatly. Mental Herb prevents it from being shut down by Taunt users, such as lead Skarmory. Maximum Special Defense and HP EVs allow it to set up its hazards safely versus Special Attackers although Sturdy generally guarantees that it can get up at least one hazard.

@ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Buzzwole hits incredibly hard. Choice Band along with maximum Attack EVs and an Adamant nature maximise its damage output. Superpower is its strongest, most reliable Fighting-type STAB move available, although the fact that it lowers Buzzwole's Attack and Defense stats by one stage every time it uses the move is slightly annoying. However, Beast Boost manages to make up for the Attack drop every time it gets a KO. Leech Life gained a buff in S/M, reaching 80 Base Power, making it a reliable STAB move that can recover back health if Buzzwole lost any. Earthquake and Poison Jab are the coverage moves that I chose. The former hits Toxapex for a solid 2HKO, while the latter hits Fairy-type Pokemon for Super Effective damage. Maximum Speed EVs allow it to outspeed a large amount of Pokemon under Sticky Web, as 0 Speed Buzzwole is a bit too slow even with Sticky Web up. Furthermore, it outspeeds most variants of Heatran, which is otherwise a threat.

@ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Mega Pinsir was my choice as the Mega evolution on my team. Through Aerilate, it can abuse its sweeping potential, as it makes Mega Pinsir able to fire off STAB Aerilate-boosted Frustrations and priority Quick Attacks. Swords Dance is a must. With its great bulk, it faces no problems in setting up a Swords Dance and threatening the opposing team. My choice for the last slot was between Close Combat and Earthquake and I opted for Earthquake mainly because it allows me to hit Steel types without dropping my defenses (i'm not entirely sure about this one; if anyone can provide a good reasoning behind using Close Combat, i'll gladly switch). Moxie is the usually preferred ability while it stays in its non-mega form, allowing it to boost its Attack stat if it gets a KO. Mega Pinsir benefits from Buzzwole's ability to rip holes into the opponent's team with its sheer power, making it much easier to clean up late-game.

@ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona is the only Special Attacker on my team and is my saving grace against certain physically defensive walls, although Buzzwole does manage to power through most of them. I opted for an offensive set instead of the usual bulky Quiver Dance set seen on Bug teams, as my team was looking extremely offensive at this point and I did not want Volcarona to be a cause of me losing momentum mid-match. Quiver Dance is self-explanatory of course. Fiery Dance was my opted Fire-type STAB move instead of Fire Blast or Flamethrower because of its chance to increase Special Attack by one stage. Bug Buzz was my only choice for a Special Bug-type STAB move. Lastly, I chose Hidden Power [Ground] to have something to hit Heatran, as my matchup versus Steel teams was naturally tough. Lum Berry lets it set up on users of status moves, such as Cobalion.

@ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Brutal Swing
- U-turn
- Superpower

Although I already have a Choice Band user, Scizor is, in my opinion, a must for any Bug team. A strong priority move boosted by Technician and STAB that helps vs Rock teams is something I can't turn down. I chose Brutal Swing over Knock Off mainly because it hits Mega Metagross for a large amount of damage and provides consistent damage unlike Knock Off, whose power decreases after the item has been knocked off. U-turn is amazing for momentum, although unfortunately it barely misses out on the Technician boost. Superpower hits Steel type Pokemon that resist both of its STAB moves. Speed EVs are unnecessary because its still very slow, I opted for HP EVs instead to take as many hits as it can.

@ Assault Vest
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Finally, Armaldo's role in the team is mainly just to get Rapid Spin off, so my two set up sweepers, Volcarona and Mega Pinsir don't take 50% upon switchin. Assault Vest is the best item for it because I already have a Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock and Assault Vest further bolsters its bulk, making it easier to Rapid Spin against Special Attackers. Stone Edge is STAB and hits threatening Fire-type Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y for a huge amount of danage, Knock Off is mainly utility while Aqua Jet is neat for picking up KOs on weakened Pokemon, as Armaldo isn't particularly fast. Maximum Attack EVs make use of its decent Attack stat and increases its damage output. Maximum HP is merely to survive as many hits as it can, as investing in Speed is pointless on such a slow Pokemon.​

threatlist

special water types:
Specially Offensive Water types can completely blow my team back. These two, in particular, just need to click their STAB Water type moves 6 times to win.

rain teams:
The same goes for Kingdra and the rain support provided by Pelipper makes it even worse.

fire types:
Offensive Fire types find it easy to run through my team as well. Mega Charizard X cannot be checked by this team once it gets a Dragon Dance up and Victini gets a kill everytime it comes in.

mega metagross:
This deserves a special mention. Once Stealth Rock is up, it OHKOs everything besides Scizor. However, even Scizor's Brutal Swing fails to OHKO it and needs Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack (to which Steel teams have plenty switchins) to revenge KO it.
replays

conclusion

I had lots of fun trying this team out on ladder and is easily one of my favourite teams to use right now. Thanks for reading!

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll give the team a quick rate since it was very fun team to use on the ladder. The team also has the potential to be really good with a few small changes
Problems
  • Only 1 Special Attacker
  • Unable to break certain Cores
  • Extreme Weakness to Offensive Flying Types
  • Unable to hit Water types that beat this team
Positives
  • General team structure is very good
  • Some semi uncommon sets work very well on this team
  • Buzzwole is not just thrown on the team and actually fits the team

• --->
    I know this change looks very strange at first, but the team's inability to hit water-types hinders the team. Shuckle--->Galvantula this change allows the team to keep Sticky Web, but gives up Stealth Rock. At first this change may seem like the team structure is being changed, but it fits the offensive nature of the team. The main reason for this change is electric-type stab that Galvantula provides in Thunder. Thunder allows the team to hit water-types such as, Mantine and Pelipper which are huge threats to this team. Galvantula based on the team structure should be running Hidden Power Ice because Landorus-I with Rock Slide can be troublesome. One thing that Shuckle brings to the table is guaranteed hazards with Sturdy Mental Herb combination. With Galvantula trying to maintain a similar combination, the item of choice should be Focus Sash. With Focus sash Galvantula can somewhat replicate Shuckle's ability to set up hazards. The last move is up to personal preference, but I highly recommend Bug Buzz as it gives the team a bit more Bug-type STAB.
  • A small change I made when laddering was Earthquake---->Close Combat. Simply put Earthquake only hits Doublade, which isn't common in current Monotype Metagame. Close Combat allows Mega Pinsir to hit Skarmory and Rotom-Wash, two very common Pokemon in the current Monotype metagame.
  • Volcarona is really tricky especially in Sun and Moon to find which set best suites the team. The major changes I suggest are Lum Berry---->Life Orb & Fiery Dance--->Fire Blast. This change allows +1 Volcarona to OHKO specially defensive Zapdos after Stealth Rocks and Chocie Scarf Togekiss without Stealth Rocks which this team can have trouble with. This change gives the team a better chance against bulkier cores and an overall better win condition. Another change I was tinkering around with was Bug Buzz--->Giga Drain. The team is extremely weak to Ground types in addition to Water-types that are mentioned in the threatlist. This change solves both problems while giving Volcarona a psuedo recovery option from Life Orb recoil.
  • Mega Metagross is listed on the threatlist, so I found a change that should remedy it. Brutual Swing--->Pursuit at first the change seems a bit strange, but Scizor's ability to take a hit and force Mega Metagross out makes Pursuit an excellent move. This change is also good for Latios and Latias which can be bothersome later in a match.
  • The current set was made for a team with Shuckle, but since Shuckle was replaced it should be changed. Aqua Jet--->Stealth Rock & Assault Vest--->Leftovers these changes makes up for the lose of Stealth Rock when Shuckle was replaced. Leftovers is the preferred item because it allows Armaldo to actually use Stealth Rock. Leftovers also provides Armaldo with little bit of recovery each turn. Stone Edge---> Rock Blast this change allows Armaldo to beat Focus Sash Volcarona and Substitute Zapdos at the cost of a chance of being somewhat weaker than Stone Edge. It also has higher accuracy which means it will not miss as often as Stone Edge. EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD--->EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def This spread allows Armaldo to better take on physical Victini and is ran with Impish Nature for added defensive capabilities. 248 HP EVs are used so that Armaldo takes less damage from Stealth Rock
Really fun team to use because of the ORAS Vibe it gave me.
Hope I helped, here are the sets Good Luck!
Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rock Blast
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)