Favorite Beer

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I used to hate beer.

Then I had my friend's homebrew vanilla stuff.

I think I jizzed my pants.

No, I haven't seen one of those. Usually we only get ordinary 0,355l and 0,75l bottles here, none of that special stuff. But that does look awesome.

I'm from Finland. Even though people drink quite a lot of beer here, for most people it's just an inexpensive way to get drunk. Corona is pretty popular here, and tbh it's not _that_ bad, especially on a hot summer day. Sure, it doesn't really have any flavor but it's still more refreshing than most mass-produced pale lagers.
I was in Finland last summer, and I really enjoyed Lapin Kulta.. I think that's how it's spelt anyway. They gave me free cans of it to drink on the flight over (even though it was ~2 hours from Heathrow, still got through a fair few) although I didn't get to drink as much as I bought.. The girl I was staying with's father used to take at least 3 cans from my pack a day as rent :(

All beer tastes good if I am along with my friends having some nasty conversation. :naughty: If given a thought I would opt for Belgium beers, but when along with friends Fosters is the most regular one. :pimp:

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
I had Dos Equis for the first time last weekend, mostly influenced by the marketing campaign and a little influenced by reports that it was what Corona wanted to be when it grew up. It did taste like a better Corona, but I'm not sure I liked it all that much (probably considering that it was a summer beer in the dead of winter, and that I had no lime to go along with it).

I also had the pleasure(?) of trying something called the Holy Grail Ale, which was nothing special but not bad at all.

And Chaas, I was referring to the 90-minute.

I was in Finland last summer, and I really enjoyed Lapin Kulta..
I think Lapin Kulta is one of the best finnish lagers, and it also seems to be quite popular outside of Finland, probably partly because many people (at least in central Europe) think it's 'the beer of Lapland', as the name suggests. I wonder if its popularity will go down in the near future, as the production will be moved to southern Finland in a few months.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've always loved Guinness, most other beer tastes too weak in comparison. I like Becks too.
I really don't like those piss weak lagers like Carling, but I'll drink it if someone else is paying.

Molson Canadian, they have great taste and hilarious commercials and they're obviously Canada to match their terrific name.

Yeah, sorry to shit in this thread, but I have to say that I strongly dislike beer...and not just the taste. Maybe it's because every man in my like was/is an alcoholic. (Wow that sounded gay, but yeah it's true....=/)

Avoid Corona like the plague, it's undrinkably bad.

Since you're new to the whole legal drinking scene give a variety of liquors a try. Get one of those sampler packs with the tiny bottles they serve on airplanes/in hotel rooms and try mixing your own drinks. Everybody is different in terms of how they handle alcohol, I can drink vodka all night with no after effects but one shot of tequila and I'm in agony the next day.

I suggest Mikes Harder Lemonade. i can chug that stuff without the backlash of regular beers and it lights me with one can

Corona was the first beer I actually enjoyed. Stick two lime slices in there and you're good to go. I'm a freak for citrus though, so yea.

I'm not that experienced of a beer drinker at all (80% Keystone, lol), I need to diversify my palette. I'm going to have to peruse this thread for suggestions. Miller Lite and Rolling Rock (kegs ftw) are good choices.

Edit
Carona with a Lime wedge is excellent. Japanese Beers are also great, such as Supporo or Asahi.

I think my favorite is Miller's Genuine Draft. It's never a bad choice.

Also, Beer could easily be an acquired taste; I used to hate it now I like it. What got me into beer was Moosehead Light Lime....it barely tastes like beer.
Whoa, weird, same taste. Ima have to try Moosehead sometime.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you're around Pittsburgh, they have a local beer called Ying Ling. Greatest stuff in history (coming from a guy who can't stand any other beer).

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just can't stomach beer a lot of the time. I've tried on a few occasions to have a can or bottle of beer instead, but I've never enjoyed it. I still try it every now and then, but it just doesn't do it for me.. I kind of wish I did like it though, as it'd be much cheaper for me to drink with friends. Budweiser is probably the one lager I can drink more than one bottle of in an evening though.

As for liquor, now this is where it starts for me. I'll go for pretty much anything usually, other than Malibu and Sambuca.

My favourite though, is most definitely Jack Daniels. I drink it somewhat religiously, it's by far my favourite alcoholic beverage. But being a huge whisky fan (mainly bourbons), it generally costs me a lot more as well, which isn't good.

A friend of mine was telling me today that there was an obscure beer company that made a 36% (72 proof) beer called "Tactical Nuclear Penguin". At the time, it was the highest proof beer in the world. Then a German group called Bismarck Brewery released one that was 40% (80 Proof). So the guys who made TNP released a new beer called "Sinking the Bismarck" with 42%. It also comes with a label warning not to drink it like a regular beer, and instead recommends shots.

I also just found out that my original belief that Getschereis is illegal for Austria to export was incorrect, meaning that I should be able to buy a bottle at $50 at my local bottle shop. Gletschereis is bright blue, tastes a bit of oranges (probably has Curacao in it), is 50% Ethanol (100 Proof) and is so saturated with sugar that lumps of white crystallised sugar are in the bottle, and if you mix it with lemonade the stuff turns milky white because of all the sugar precipitating out of it.

So: excellent. Also, the same availability is apparently true of polish liquor, which is 95% ethanol. That's just about as alcoholic as you can get without a vacuum seal (ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it draws water out of the air and dilutes itself when in pure form).

EDIT: Another thing that was recommended for beer drinkers; apparently, a university study added a small amount of balsamic vinegar to a keg of beer, and then got another keg without the vinegar. They tested the two beers on two groups of people at the university bar. The first group were told beforehand which beer contained balsamic vinegar, and almost all of them said that beer was worse. However, the second group were just asked to taste both and state their preference, without being told the difference between the two. Most of these people preferred the balsamic vinegar beer.

These results were subsequently published, and it led the bar to store some balsamic vinegar 'droppers' so that people could add it to their beers.

So yeah, something to try. I'm not a beer drinker, but balsamic vinegar doesn't sound like a bad addition because it tastes quite malty anyway.

ohh man, so I just discovered Woodchuck a while ago. Anyone who hasn't tried it needs to immediately. Especially Mike B, since it seems to be more your thing.

Hoegaarden. It's $13 for a 6 pack though, so ridiculous. I'm not a big beer drinker but I when I do I usually get natty bo. I live in baltimore so it's cheap as fuck.

TOTALLY REVIVING THIS THREAD

So by now most of the fall seasonal brews are out, and I've had a chance to try a few new beers recently.

First up: Southern Tier Pumking Ale
I had this on tap at a local bar. Every single thing I've read about this beer says it's among the best pumkin ales around, but I was actually really disappointed. It's high abv (~9% iirc) was right in your face as soon as you took a sip. The immediate taste is strong pumpkin, followed by your usual pie spices. The flavor profile was very short, but I at least enjoyed the lingering aftertaste. I may have just had a bad batch, because the beer wasn't creamy at all like it should have been, just really boozy with prickly carbonation that didn't mesh well with the back end flavors. I'll have to try this one again at a different place I think.

Next: Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (THE BLACKER THE BEER, THE BETTER IT IS)
Whoa buddy, this thing was as viscous as a milk shake.. That's an exaggeration, but it was thick as hell. No way could I drink more than one of these in a sitting. Got this one on tap at a local barbeque joint. It's a very pretty looking beer, I sat and stared at it for like a minute, even took a picture. Anyway, I should have gotten this after my meal, it's an excellent dessert beer. Very strong coffee taste that builds up to a bitter point and ends with a nice dark chocolate. This would go excellently with any kind of creamy dessert, ice cream for example. Its high abv is masked perfectly. If you like stouts, don't miss out on this one if you have a chance to try it.

So those are the two notable beers I tried last weekend. This weekend in my town of Urbana, IL there is a beer and chili festival featuring ~150 craft brews and imports. Hopefully I'll have some updates.

To the other beer drinkers on smogon, have you tried anything good recently? Any good fall brews available in your towns? I'm looking for more pumpkin ales to try. Also, has anyone tried the Sam Adams fall seasonal sampler pack? I've been meaning to pick it up, but my local grocery store seems to be sold out at the moment. Have any of you Lite/Corona/Keystone/etc drinkers out there seen the light of good beer? If you're a sinner and need redemption, I have several suggestions to start you on the path of true light.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm a huge fan of pumpkin ales and am delighted when this time of the year rolls around. John Harvard's pumpkin ale with the brown sugar rim is delicious, although I can get by with the Harvest Moon variety when that place is too packed. Also, i've become a fan of McSorely's, which is a traditional beer pub in NYC that has it's own brand. I recommend both if you can get your hands on them.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sad to say that this month, I won't be 19, so I can't go to bars and try some of their pumpkin ale, which sounds delicious. Plus, none of my friends are into "pumpkin ale" and other stuff. They just like taking vodka shots and getting hammered out of their minds.

Personally, I've only tried Corona, Heineken, and Asashi. Corona was pretty disgusting, turning me off beer (it was my first time). I went to Korea, and had a few Heinekens, which wasn't so bad actually. Finally, I tried Asashi, which wasn't to my taste.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
Not a big fan of beer, and I know it tastes terrible... or, well, bad. But I drink it when other people are drinking it. I don't like the feeling it leaves on your stomach like you're full or something, hate it.

I also can't see the difference between the 5~ or so different beers I've tried, so I stick with the local favorite (Presidente). I myself don't like the price of beer in relation to stronger alcoholic beverages but... ya know, if everyone's drinking beer...

I see it more as a refreshing drink than an alcoholic drink, too, so eh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)