Monotype Flying team test

Hi, first of all i want to say that I'm not an expert in strategy. I started it like 2-3 month just for fun. I often play teams make by others since i don't consider myself good enough to make one. So I decide to heve fun more seriously, and because I really enjoyed Monotype I tried to make a team to play.

Team Composition
As I said, I'm a beginner so I tried to make a simple team which can cover all type.
Most of the set are classic set I found online and modify it to be useful for my team.

The team

Landorus

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

The first Pokemon of the team, he is the leader. Obviously he is my electric immunity and my entry hazard setter.
For the moves he has classic Landorus set. Sheer force as ability, Stealth Rock for the entry hazard, Hidden Power (Ice) to prevent others Landorus or leads. Earth Power as stab and Rock Slide.

Charizard

Charizard (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

The base of my team.
When Mega evolving, he can place the sun to fight against Rock type. Roost to recover HP, Fire Blast for the stab under the sun and Focus Blast to fight again Rock types or Pokemons like Heatran.
The sun also reduce water type damages and can be useful for Zapdos and Togekiss.

Togekiss

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere

Flying type has a lot of common flaws and most of the Pokemon of this type are not very resistant.
So I decide to use one of their advantage: the speed. Using Togekiss with his talent and Air Slash to have greater chance to flinch a target hard to beat with the others mons of the team. The rest of the moves are pretty classic Fire Blast (boosted by the sun of Mega Charizard) against Iron types, Dazzling Gleam for the stab and Aura Sphere to be sure to never miss.

Zapdos

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Agility
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

He is in the team to protect Charizard again water types. Can also be useful against other flying types. His first role is to hit with the Z-move with the good timing. He can also protect Togekiss against Iron types Pokemon and hit them with Heat Wave if he survive.

Crobat

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

He is fast and can hit hard but he is mostly in the team to finish Pokemon with low HP let by the other and place another Pokemon with U-turn. He is also the main defogger against Stealth Rock which really annoys the team. Brave Bird for the stab if I need to hit and Roost the recover HP.

Hawlucha

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Sky Attack
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick

This one often surprise the opponent because there are better flying Pokemon to use.
With it talent Unburden plus the Power Herb-Sky Attack combo he hit hard boost his speed making him more faster at the same time. He is not in the team to stay a long time but with a good timing he can use Sword Dance which make him a deadly weapon with High Jump Kick.

Conclusion
So this is my team.
I used to play another version of it, I was using with the Substitute and Dragon Dance combo against Rock and Ground type Pokemons.

For the match up, I used this team against most of the types and the fight depend on the other's team composition.
The only thing I never passed are the Stall (Chance, Sableye), Staraptor and Mega-Diancie.
Sorry if I make mistakes in my language and terms, I really tried my best.:psynervous:

So thanks for reading.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
TheRookieX Hello, thank you for sharing your team with us. From the looks of it, you decided to create a hyper offensive flying team, which is an archetype I commonly use in my teambuilder and it sees some tournament usage. Looking at this team, I have several suggestions that you could possibly benefit from, and drop some tips on how you can handle certain problems you mentioned below.

->

Looking at your team, you only have one physically oriented Pokemon which is Hawlucha. In a hyper offense team, having balanced amount of physically and specially oriented Pokemon is far more better for your team as you can cover certain important aspects more easily. Landorus-T comes with a monstrous attack stat, a decent speed for Choice Scarf, U-turn for momentum ( Which is something that every HO team will appreciate), an emergency Defog along with your scarf and partially resistance to Stealth Rock and a respectable physical bulk along with Intimidate that can occasionally lets you switch on physical threats. ( Having switchins in any HO team is highly appreciated.) Combining all that together, you can assume that Landorus-T is a solid addition for HO Flying-type teams.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Filler

Roost -> Tailwind/Hidden Power Electric

Since your objective is dealing damage in a very short period of time, your longevity in the field does not matter at all, if you are threatened by any means you should switch out. So you dont really need Roost here, you will be also wasting your own sun turns. Considering the fact that you have limited chances and possibilities to Defog with a hyper offense team that is weak to rocks, you can just consider Mega Charizard to be another expendable Pokemon. Tailwind boosts speed for your entire team, Hidden Power Electric lets you hit to Mantine excusively and lets you chip Toxapex.

Choice Scarf -> Leftovers

I like your Togekiss usage here, althought it doesnt offer much with a scarf set here. I will suggest a different approach. Below you will find out a Tailwind suggestion. Togekiss has enough Speed to make Tailwind work, and its access to Nasty Plot along with Serene Grace lets it comfortably break thru most fat teams. Since your concern was breaking through fat teams, this is a perfect opportunity for you. With Nasty Plot and Tailwind, you will be breaking through those teams easily and gain upper hand against dragon for several turns as well. You can add Nasty Plot over Aura Sphere, as your team doesnt need additional fighting type coverage to hit Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon.

->

I have tested Z move Zapdos myself and it was mostly underwhelming. You dont necessarily deal any significant damage that matters for your matchups so Zapdos kinda has no business in your team. Thundurus offers better offensive presence overall with the same typing with some bonus perks. It has access to Nasty Plot which makes it truly fearsome, comes with more Sp.Atk and Speed, and has Volt Absorb which means another free immunity against Electric-type Pokemon. You also have Focus Blast so you can bop some annoying Steel-type Pokemon that Thunderbolt cant deal with, such as Ferrothorn. You also have lots of sets and opportunities you can run with Thundurus so that also forces your opponent to play more carefully which is something you will appreciate.

->

You most certainly dont need a Crobat here as it adds nothing to your team and doesnt fit to the hyper offense structure. So I am suggesting here Aerodactyl over Crobat because every team needs a rocker and this can be Aerodactyl for you. What Aerodactyl does is set rocks, prevent opposing rocks with Taunt ( which is good) , set Tailwind and die. If you are still alive after all this , you can also chip your opponents. Nevertheless, Aerodactyl is a fantastic lead Pokemon that can shut down many standard lead Pokemon and turn 1 setup sweepers.

->

I find it more valuable having access to instant powerful nukes. Dragonite is here to deliver this. It has godlike attack stat, a strong priority ( which is very welcomed in hyper offense teams) ,and Multiscale that lets it soft check vast majority of the metagame just for once. Either way , having a strong Dragon-type STAB will help you to clean some neutral threats, and it has good coverage options like Earthquake and Fire Punch.

New sets, click on icons for importable.

Last edited:
TheRookieX Hello, thank you for sharing your team with us. From the looks of it, you decided to create a hyper offensive flying team, which is an archetype I commonly use in my teambuilder and it sees some tournament usage. Looking at this team, I have several suggestions that you could possibly benefit from, and drop some tips on how you can handle certain problems you mentioned below.

->

Looking at your team, you only have one physically oriented Pokemon which is Hawlucha. In a hyper offense team, having balanced amount of physically and specially oriented Pokemon is far more better for your team as you can cover certain important aspects more easily. Landorus-T comes with a monstrous attack stat, a decent speed for Choice Scarf, U-turn for momentum ( Which is something that every HO team will appreciate), an emergency Defog along with your scarf and partially resistance to Stealth Rock and a respectable physical bulk along with Intimidate that can occasionally lets you switch on physical threats. ( Which is also something that every HO teams will appreciate.) Combining all that together, you can assume that Landorus-T is a solid addition for HO Flying-type teams.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Filler

Roost -> Tailwind/Hidden Power Electric

Since your objective is dealing damage in a very short period of time, your longevity in the field does not matter at all, if you are threatened by any means you should switch out. So you dont really need Roost here, you will be also wasting your own sun turns. Considering the fact that you have limited chances and possibilities to Defog with a hyper offense team that is weak to rocks, you can just consider Mega Charizard to be another expendable Pokemon. Tailwind boosts speed for your entire team, Hidden Power Electric lets you hit to Mantine excusively and lets you chip Toxapex.

Choice Scarf -> Leftovers

I like your Togekiss usage here, althought it doesnt offer much with a scarf set here. I will suggest a different approach. Below you will find out a Tailwind suggestion. Togekiss has enough Speed to make Tailwind work, and its access to Nasty Plot along with Serene Grace lets it comfortably break thru most fat teams. Since your concern was breaking through fat teams, this is a perfect opportunity for you. With Nasty Plot and Tailwind, you will be breaking through those teams easily and gain upper hand against dragon for several turns as well. You can add Nasty Plot over Aura Sphere, as your team doesnt need additional fighting type coverage to hit Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon.

->

I have tested Z move Zapdos myself and it was mostly underwhelming. You dont necessarily deal any significant damage that matters for your matchups so Zapdos kinda has no business in your team. Thundurus offers better offensive presence overall with the same typing with some bonus perks. It has access to Nasty Plot which makes it truly fearsome, comes with more Sp.Atk and Speed, and has Volt Absorb which means another free immunity against Electric-type Pokemon. You also have Focus Blast so you can bop some annoying Steel-type Pokemon that Thunderbolt cant deal with, such as Ferrothorn. You also have lots of sets and opportunities you can run with Thundurus so that also forces your opponent to play more carefully which is something you will appreciate.

->

You most certainly dont need a Crobat here as it adds nothing to your team and doesnt fit to the hyper offense structure. So I am suggesting here Aerodactyl over Crobat because every team needs a rocker and this can be Aerodactyl for you. What Aerodactyl does is set rocks, prevent opposing rocks with Taunt ( which is good) , set Tailwind and die. If you are still alive after all this , you can also chip your opponents. Nevertheless, Aerodactyl is a fantastic lead Pokemon that can shut down many standard lead Pokemon and turn 1 setup sweepers.

->

I find it more valuable having access to instant powerful nukes. Dragonite is here to deliver this. It has godlike attack stat, a strong priority ( which is very welcomed in hyper offense teams) ,and Multiscale that lets it soft check vast majority of the metagame just for once. Either way , having a strong Dragon-type STAB will help you to clean some neutral threats, and it has good coverage options like Earthquake and Fire Punch.

New sets, click on icons for importable.

Thanks for your answer and suggestions.
I never consider using Dragonite or Aerodactyl but as you said they add more balance to the team.
The new sets you added are pretty cool in game (I tested them) so I'll definitely change my original team and see how far I can go.
Thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)