Gen V OU Threatlist

Bloo

Banned deucer.
I'm fine with the addition and removal of those Pokemon, but am not really sure if Xatu should be removed from the threat list. Magic Bounce by itself makes Xatu a threat since it can reflect hazards and whatnot, which is a good niche to have since hazards are everywhere in OU. Sure, there's Espeon, but Espeon isn't as bulky, and doesn't have Roost, Thunder Wave, and FeatherDance, all of which are pretty cool support moves. The thing can even CM, although it isn't really great at it since its weaknesses are too exploitable.

I'd keep Xatu there. Otherwise, everything looks fine. I'll look through it again to see if I missed anything.

I would like to reserve Gastrodon and Vaporeon.

Gastrodon
Water/Ground
111 HP / 83 Atk / 68 Def / 92 SpA / 82 SpD / 39 Spe
Abilities: Sticky Hold / Storm Drain / Sand Force

In the massive pool of bulky Water-type pokemon, Gastrodon has finally recieved a niche above the others with Storm Drain, which now gives an immunity to Water-type attacks and a +1 boost to Special attack when hit by one. All of the previous benefits of Water/Ground typing remain, like immunity to sand damage, and the added bonus of Storm Drain makes it an excellent special wall. Powerful attackers like Rotom-W and Starmie will need to run Hidden Power Grass to leave any lasting damage. The combination of the new move Scald and Toxic makes bulky Gastrodon fairly hard to switch into. Gastrodon is not only a strong check to rain-abusing sweepers, with Choice Specs it can be a sturdy cannon itself. If you make the mistake of hitting that type of Gastrodon with a Water-type attack, even Blissey is looking at a potential 2HKO.

Vaporeon
Water
130 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 110 SpA / 95 SpD / 65 Spe
Abilities: Water Absorb / Hydration

Vaporeon still plays mostly the same way as it has since Gen III, a bulky Water-type that can pass Wish and packs a punch with an above average base 110 special attack stat. Vaporeon certainly did it's fair share of gifts through the Black & White release though; Wish now heals any recipient's HP by half of the user's, letting Vaporeon really take advantage of it's base 130 HP stat. The new move Scald is also useful for a potential burn, making it easier to wall physical attacks and wear down opposing tanks. The biggest boost Vaporeon recieved is Drizzle Politoed; Hydration gives it a complete immunity to status under rain, meaning it has nothing to fear from bulky status-inducing pokemon; it is one of the very few tanks that isn't annoyed by stallbreaker Mew. This ability also lets it Rest and recover all of it's health instantly; you're essentially using a Full Restore on it.

Vaporeon is also a powerful threat offensively. Under rain, a Choice Specs Hydro Pump has the power to 2HKO Blissey and Ferrothorn, assuming Stealth Rock damage and an EV spread lacking special defense. Using Life Orb or Leftovers lets Vaporeon retain a lot of this incredible STAB power while taking advantage of the Hydration and Rest combination more efficiently. Vaporeon can still retain a lot of bulk through defense EVs, so both tanking it's hits and dealing a strong enough one in return is a challenge. Even faster, bulky attackers with a typing advantage like Celebi have a hard time checking it, because STAB Giga Drain will not be enough for a OHKO and 2 Ice Beams in return will likely be too much with some slight residual damage.

I'd like to reserve Jolteon and Offensive Togekiss please!

Jolteon
Type: Electric
Base Stats: 65 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 110 SpA / 95 SpD / 130 Spe
Abilities: Volt Absorb / Quick Feet

Much has changed in the transition to BW, but the yellow electric cat has largely remained the same, having received few new toys. As has been the case for many generations now, Jolteon's greatest asset is its massive base 130 Speed, which lets it outpace even speedy threats such as Starmie, Tornadus, Latios, Choice Scarf Politoed, as well as +1 Adamant Gyarados and Dragonite. Its base 110 Special Attack is also far from shabby; in fact, thanks to boosts from STAB and Choice Specs, its Thunderbolts are mythological forces to be reckoned with. Its small movepool is a letdown, however; aside from Hidden Power—usually Ice or Grass—its only viable coverage options are Shadow Ball and Signal Beam. Nonetheless, Jolteon received a surprising gift in BW in the form of Drizzle Politoed, which allows it to abuse a perfectly accurate and even more powerful STAB Thunder. Access to the new Volt Switch also enables Jolteon to function as a fast scout and rack up damage on its switch-ins, and while rarely seen, Charge Beam and Work Up let Jolteon boost its Special Attack, making it an even greater threat. While it generally has issues getting past dedicated special walls, do not be fooled by Jolteon's fall from grace, lest it give you a nasty shock.

Togekiss
Type: Normal / Flying
Base Stats: 85 HP / 50 Atk / 95 Def / 120 SpA / 115 SpD / 80 Spe
Abilities: Hustle / Serene Grace / Super Luck

Togekiss's reputation as one of the best abusers of paralysis + flinch still holds true in BW; as with many other Pokemon who fill a specific niche, it has changed little in the generation shift. The statistics speak for themselves: thanks to Togekiss's ability Serene Grace, its the flinch chance of its STAB Air Slash is boosted from a decent 30% to an staggering 60%. If the foe is paralyzed, which Togekiss can ensure with either Thunder Wave or Serene Grace Body Slam, it will have a mere 30% chance of being able to make a move—assuming it survives to attack at all. Despite losing its crown as the best boosting move for special sweepers, Nasty Plot is as effective as ever; after a boost, Togekiss's base 120 Special Attack skyrockets to a monstrous maximum of 744. With access to excellent coverage moves such as Flamethrower and Aura Sphere to back up its fantastic STAB Serene Grace Air Slash, few slower Pokemon can stand up to Togekiss's onslaught. Furthermore, even when uninvested, Togekiss's 85 / 95 / 115 defenses make it difficult to take down outside of super effective STAB attacks. All in all, be sure to pack a faster hard-hitting Pokemon, and be sure to keep it away from paralysis if the birdplane should show its face on Team Preview.

I have finished Gastrodon and Vaporeon. Because of the newer Flight Gem Acrobatics Gliscor I'd like to recommend a revamp on the Gliscor analysis. IMO, that is the only real offensive set, the Poison Heal SD set feels like more of a boosting tank than any kind of sweeper.

Edit (offensive Mew analysis)-

Additionally, a stallbreaker set exploiting Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Recover can beget great results if given the proper support. Overall, be very wary of Mew, as behind its pink pixie exterior lies immense versatility and power.
Mew does not get Recover, it can choose from Roost and Softboiled.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks yee. I fixed Mew and Gliscor myself.

Also, because of recent requests for revamps, I am adding a List of Pokemon which are available for revamps. Like the previous list, Pokemon that are done will be indicated so with a tag and a . If you feel a Pokemon needs checking over, please say so in a post with good reasons. The current Pokemon on the list are Gyarados and Dragonite.

Defensive Gliscor analysis-

Gliscor needs no hyperbole: it is one of the most common sights in the BW OU metagame simply because it is able to put a full stop to some of the most threatening sweepers. Terrakion, which general consensus holds as one of the greatest threat in OU, is completely countered by it, and Landorus is also beaten unless it has Hidden Power Ice, making it a top-tier counter to offensive sand-based teams. Indeed, perhaps the greatest testament to Defensive Gliscor's effectiveness is the sheer number of physical Pokemon that run an Ice move solely for Gliscor: Tyranitar, Mienshao, and Virizion are just a few examples. While Gliscor's Dream World ability is incompatible with Roost, the combination of Toxic Orb + Poison Heal, and possibly even Substitute and Protect, is more than enough for it to last through the game.
It is certainly not a full stop to Terrakion. With rocks up and Poison Heal not activated it gets 2HKOed by Choice Band Stone Edge, and gets taken out completely by a +2 Rock Gem Stone Edge after SR. Air Balloon versions 2HKO at +2 comfortably as well. Even if Stone Edge misses, Gliscor's EQ is doing roughly 70-80% back. The part about it countering sand altogether is outdated IMO, I haven't seen a non HP Ice Landorus (or an Excadrill) for a while now. The list of pokemon that run Ice moves for it is certainly interesting information though and I would be happy to see it in a revamp.

I think Rotom-W needs an update too as neither analysis has a mention of Volt Switch. It is now literally the most annoying thing in all of OU because of it.

Also reserving Gyarados and Dragonite.

Gyarados
Type: Water / Flying
Base Stats: 95 HP / 125 Atk / 79 Def / 60 SpA / 100 SpD / 81 Spe
Abilities: Intimidate / Moxie

Gyarados really established itself as a bulky and powerful threat last generation with the addition of physical Waterfall, and extra coverage in Stone Edge, Ice Fang, and Bounce. BW's latest gifts are Drizzle Politoed and a new ability- Moxie. When a Moxie Gyarados with a Dragon Dance under it's belt racks up kills it becomes nearly impossible to wall. The challenge of Scald in BW has made Substitute an excellent move to take advantage of this ability and retain the threat of setting up on defensive Water-types from previous generations. Gyarados can also hit extremely hard off the bat with a Choice Band, especially with Drizzle support. Overall, Water STAB amplified by rain, 125 base attack, excellent bulk to set up with, and a wide array of coverage moves make Gyarados a massive threat in BW.

Since the release of RSE, when Gyarados recieved Intimidate, Gyarados has been a particularly tough Pokemon to take down. With 95 / 79 / 100 defenses, 5 resistances and only 2 weaknesses Gyarados can tank a vast amount of pokemon. Throughout Generation 4, Gyarados was one of the best Fighting-resists in the game, lowering Physical attack just by coming in and either setting up with Dragon Dance or simply tanking them with a Rest + Sleep Talk set. However, with Terrakion and Virizion becoming the more popular Fighting-types in BW OU, the RestTalk set has lost a bit of its luster. It is still a threat through it's raw defenses and the new move Dragon Tail, which gives it approximately a 2/3 chance to phaze in it's sleep; Gyarados is one the very few pokemon that can afford to run a RestTalk set with the new sleep mechanics, resetting the sleep timer every time a pokemon switches out. Substitute + Dragon Dance sets are also good for tanking hits and turn BW's standard bulky water into set-up bait.

Dragonite
Type: Dragon / Flying
Base Stats: 91 HP / 134 Atk / 95 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 80 Spe
Abilities: Inner Focus / Multiscale

In BW, Dragonite got everything it could ask for. Multiscale is one of the best abilities in the game, making it extremely easy for Dragonite to set up with Dragon Dance and tank an attack, and making it much easier to blast away with Choice Banded Outrage. Dragonite also got one of the coolest new moves- Hurricane, which comes with STAB. This allows for even more mixed sets with greater coverage, with Drizzle Politoed boosted Water-type moves and a fully accurate Thunder Dragonite's list of offensive options has become massive. Whether it's simply blasting with Outrage or firing off the deep pool of special moves Dragonite is sure to leave its mark.

Despite Dragonite's excellent natural bulk, it has usually been outclassed in one way or another in attempts to run defensive sets. Multiscale changed everything for Dragonite, making bulky Dragon Dance sets much harder to take down and creating new sets. In early BW a set of Thunder Wave / Substitute / Roost / Dragon Tail began to catch on, its ability to paralyze hard hitters and wait for a full paralysis with Substitute and Roost made it a very tough wall to overcome and a very useful phazer. A fire attack over Thunder Wave catches a lot of normal counters, such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Tangrowth. Dragon Dance over Thunder Wave and Dragon Claw over Dragon Tail has become a bulky set-up sweeper famous for cleaning defensive teams as the last pokemon. Lastly, Dragonite can run defensive sets in the rain with Hurricane posing a huge threat to pokemon like Celebi and Virizion, which naturally trouble rain teams. Whether relentlessly setting up with Dragon Dance or phazing endlessly with Dragon Tail, Dragonite can be one of the greatest annoyances defensively if you don't prepare for it.

Edit- I would now like to reserve Sableye and propose removing Togekiss from the defensive threat list. I really don't think anyone has been threatened defensively by a Togekiss yet this entire generation, adding Heal Bell to a paraflinch set is all I could see it pulling off and I don't think that calls for another analysis.

AccidentalGreed

Thanks yee, but I'd appreciate it if the analysis were to-the-point. In other words, can you perhaps minimize or simply delete the Pokemons' histories (they aren't very relevant to the present)?

Consider Sableye reserved, and Kiss off the defensive list.

EDIT: Also I'm updating Gliscor

Did some trimming down with the offensive analysis for both. I'll edit in Sableye's in this post soon.

Sableye
Type: Dark / Ghost
Base Stats: 50 HP / 75 Atk / 75 Def / 65 SpA / 65 SpD / 50 Spe
Abilities: Keen Eye / Stall / Prankster

Throughout previous generations and a fair chunk of Black and White, Sableye has been one of the weakest fully evolved pokemon in the game. However, the release of the Dream World ability Prankster turned it into a legitimate threat. This ability, combined with the classic combination of a status move, Taunt, and a recovery move gives Sableye a unique defensive niche. Fast, powerful sweepers that would normally be able to pummel a slow wall or throw up a Substitute for status protection are swiftly burnt and will have trouble finishing off a weakened Sableye with it's priority Recover. Stall teams are also heavily annoyed by Sableye, as it is a very effective stall breaker with the aforementioned combo and a solid spin blocker at the same time. Starmie and Tentacruel are the only common spinners with a good match-up against Sableye and both get blocked well by Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn, with burn support in the case of Tentacruel. Sableye's priority moves are useful in many more ways that are fun to discover when using it.

AccidentalGreed

Hi.

If anybody's wondering why this thread doesn't seem to be updated, the EDIT function's turning dumb on me, so the "last updated" section implies that I did this last time on Dec 15. In reality, I'm updating this slowly but surely with NWO's offensive threatlist GP check, so don't fret. Meanwhile, thanks to yee who's been helping eagerly; your contributions (changed slightly) are in the threatlist now.

EDIT: OMG Thanks Oglemi. You make life easier to live.

AccidentalGreed

Since NWO's extremely busy at the moment (for good reasons), is someone else willing to GP check the defensive threatlist? Thank you if you do.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I will never forget
oh no no no
I will never regret
no no
I will live my life

add/edit
remove

Defensive:

Blissey
Type: Normal
Base Stats: 255 HP / 10 Atk / 10 Def / 75 SpA / 135 SpD / 55 Spe
Abilities: Natural Cure / Serene Grace / Healer (Unreleased)

Despite receiving no new toys from BW, and in fact facing greater competition thanks to the huge buff to Chansey, the (original) pink blob proves frustratingly resilient. With a near-unmatched ability to wall just about any special attacker in the game, Blissey can find a place in any team hurting for a bit more special bulk. With a wide array of support moves, including Toxic, Thunder Wave, Heal Bell, and the newly buffed Wish that allows her to fully revitalize almost all Pokemon in the game, Blissey can be a fantastic team supporter, cleric, or status-spreader on stall and offensive teams alike. Despite being somewhat outclassed in defensively by Eviolite Chansey, Blissey maintains some advantages of its own that account for its greater usage. First, her usable base 75 Special Attack stat means that Blissey can run Ice Beam or Flamethrower to take advantage of her surprising physical bulk—largely due to her fantastic HP stat— (remove em dash); secondly, Leftovers negates residual damage Blissey may take from weather, and also helps offset whatever more damage she would take than Chansey. With massive Special Defense, decent physical Defense, a usable Special Attack and a good movepool, Blissey yet again proves that if something isn't broken, you need not fix it.

Bronzong
Type: Steel / Psychic
Base Stats: 67 HP / 89 Atk / 116 Def / 79 SpA / 116 SpD / 33 Spe
Abilities: Levitate / Heatproof / Heavy Metal (Unreleased)

With fantastic mixed defenses, and a combination of typing and choice of abilities that gives it only one weakness, Bronzong is a fantastic mixed wall that can take on a multitude of threats without breaking a sweat. Thanks to its Steel typing, Bronzong is one of the few reliable checks to the ferocious Dragon-types that roam OU, including Latios and Haxorus. Bronzong functions brilliantly in a support role, as it can reliably set up Stealth Rock, as well as provide dual screens and Trick Room support. Bronzong also has the ability to go on the offense as a tank that can both take hits and deal damage; such a set commonly sports Earthquake, Gyro Ball, and Hidden Power Ice to take on as many different Pokemon as possible. However, (comma) Bronzong isn't completely invulnerable. Its low HP stat and lack of reliable recovery means that it will easily be whittled down over the course of the match. All in all, Bronzong is a competent Pokemon that when used rightly, will be a very effective use of a teamslot.

Chansey
Base Stats: 250 HP / 5 Atk / 5 Def / 35 SpA / 105 SpD / 50 Spe
Abilities: Natural Cure / Serene Grace / Healer (Unreleased)

In previous generations, Chansey found itself overshadowed by its evolution, Blissey, who had better stats both offensively and defensively. However, with the advent of BW came a new item, the Eviolite, which increases the defenses of NFE Pokemon by 50%. This instantly transformed Chansey into an enormously bulky Pokemon, who can wall a huge number of threats with defenses that now far surpass Blissey's, as well as reliable recovery in the form of Softboiled. BW also brought about a change in the mechanics of the move Wish; Chansey can now pass enormous 352 HP Wishes to its teammates. It can thus contribute to its team in many ways: aside from Wish, it gets access to status moves such as Toxic and Thunder Wave, as well as Aromatherapy and Heal Bell. It can alternatively be a pure wall that focuses on walling threats and forcing switches with its huge defensive stats, chipping away at the opponent's health mainly through residual damage. However, Chansey remains completely outclassed by Blissey when it comes to offense. Despite having a fantastic special movepool, Chansey cannot put it to good use with its deplorable base 35 Special Attack and thus has to resort to Seismic Toss; this leaves Chansey without any form of direct offense against Ghost-types. Having to hold Eviolite also deprives Chansey of Leftovers recovery, a disadvantage particularly in unfavorable weather. Despite these flaws, Chansey shines as one of the best special walls in the metagame and is one defensive threat which every team should be prepared for.

Deoxys-D
Type: Psychic
Base Stats: 50 HP / 70 Atk / 160 Def / 70 SpA / 160 SpD / 90 Spe
Ability: Pressure

With enormous equal base 160 defenses, a gigantic support movepool that includes a reliable recovery move, and the ability Pressure, Deoxys-D appears tailor-made for defensive playstyles. Access to Cosmic Power and Recover, as well as a wide variety of support moves such as Toxic, Taunt, Magic Coat, and Protect, Deoxys-D can stall out a large number of threats. It is hardly limited to stalling, though: it can utilize its fantastic defensive stats to lay entry hazards such as Spikes, or support a frail sweeper by setting up Reflect and Light Screen. However, Deoxys-D's stalling capabilities are undermined by its poor base 50 HP stat and a weakness to Pursuit courtesy of its Psychic typing, which also gives Deoxys-D weaknesses to common Ghost- and Dark-type attacks. This means that Pokemon such as Chandelure and Hydreigon can easily break through Deocys-D's defenses with their powerful STAB attacks. Deoxys-D is also prone to being Taunt bait for the likes of Sableye and Mew, unless it carries Magic Coat. Despite these flaws, Deoxys-D stands out as one of the most potent stallers in the metagame that can stall out entire unprepared teams.

Dragonite
Type: Dragon / Flying
Base Stats: 91 HP / 134 Atk / 95 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 80 Spe
Abilities: Inner Focus / Multiscale

Despite Dragonite's excellent natural bulk, it has usually been outclassed in one way or another in attempts to run defensive sets. Multiscale changed everything for Dragonite, making bulky Dragon Dance sets much harder to take down and creating new sets. In early BW, a set of Thunder Wave / Substitute / Roost / Dragon Tail began to catch on, its ability to paralyze hard hitters and wait for a full paralysis with Substitute and Roost made it a very tough wall to overcome and a very useful phazer. A Fire-type attack over Thunder Wave also catches a lot of normal counters, such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Tangrowth, off guard. Dragon Dance over Thunder Wave and Dragon Claw over Dragon Tail has become a bulky set-up sweeper famous for cleaning defensive teams as the last Pokemon. Lastly, Dragonite can run defensive sets in the rain with Hurricane posing a huge threat to Pokemon like Celebi and Virizion, which naturally trouble rain teams. Whether relentlessly setting up with Dragon Dance or phazing endlessly with Dragon Tail, Dragonite can be one of the greatest annoyances defensively if you don't prepare for it.

Ferrothorn
Type: Grass / Steel
Base Stats: 74 HP / 94 Atk / 131 Def / 54 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Ability: Iron Barbs

With 74 / 131 / 116 defenses and a typing which gives it useful resistances to common Dragon-, Water-, Ice-, and Electric-type attacks, it is little wonder that Ferrothorn is one of the best walls in the game. In a metagame dominated by weather, Ferrothorn is an extremely useful check to rain-based teams, easily absorbing powerful attacks from the likes of Rotom-W, Starmie, and Kingdra. Ferrothorn's unique ability, Iron Barbs, also adds greatly to the headaches of physically based Pokemon and Rapid Spinners, and is an especially great way to pick off weakened Pokemon by just switching in. Ferrothorn's movepool is equally impressive: it can set up entry hazards such as Spikes and Stealth Rock, cripple the opponent with Thunder Wave and Toxic, mitigate its lack of a reliable recovery move with Leech Seed, Substitute, and Protect, and even set up with Curse. Ferrothorn is not invincible, though: a neutrality to Ground and a weakness to Fighting greatly hamper its physical walling capabilities. Powerful Fire-types such as Heatran and Infernape can easily incinerate Ferrothorn with their STAB attacks. This glaring quadruple weakness is also an invitation for many special sweepers that are otherwise helpless against Ferrothorn, such as Latios and the aforementioned Starmie and Rotom-W, to surprise it with Hidden Power Fire.

Forretress
Type: Bug / Steel
Base Stats: 75 HP / 90 Atk / 140 Def / 60 SpA / 60 SpD / 40 Spe
Abilities: Sturdy / Overcoat (Unreleased)

Forretress, the premier spinner of DPP, may have gained little this generation outside of a buffed Sturdy, but he still retains a very useful niche in the BW OU metagame. Access to all entry hazards and the ability to Rapid Spin go a long way toward making Forretress a virtual necessity for any stall team; an impressive physical Defense and salvageable Special Defense allow him to find a place on many a balanced and even offensive teams as a reliable wall and pivot as well. Indeed, Forretress has far more on his resume than mere hazards work. With his colossal Defense, Forretress can tank most physical sweepers, and retaliate with his surprisingly usable base 90 Attack stat. STAB Gyro Ball along with his dismal Speed allows Forretress to counter many speedy sweepers, most frequently Outrage-locked Dragons, and a buffed Sturdy enables Forretress to abuse Custap Berry—once released—if need be to ensure two hits on a dangerous sweeper. Whether one needs an unbreakable staller, a Rapid Spinner, a clutch counter, or a catch-all defensive giant, look no further than Forretress.

Gastrodon
Typing: Water / Ground
Base Stats: 111 HP / 83 Atk / 68 Def / 92 SpA / 82 SpD / 39 Spe
Abilities: Sticky Hold / Storm Drain / Sand Force

In the massive pool of bulky Water-type Pokemon, Gastrodon has finally received a niche above the others with Storm Drain, which now gives an immunity to Water-type attacks and a +1 boost to Special attack when hit by one. All of the previous benefits of its Water / Ground typing remain, like an immunity to sandstorm damage, and the added bonus of Storm Drain makes it an excellent special wall. Powerful attackers like Rotom-W and Starmie will need to run Hidden Power Grass to leave any lasting damage on this slug. The combination of the new move Scald and Toxic makes bulky Gastrodon fairly hard to switch into. Gastrodon is not only a strong check to rain-abusing sweepers; (replace with semi-colon) with Choice Specs it can be a sturdy cannon itself. If your opponent makes the mistake of hitting that type of Gastrodon with a Water-type attack, even Blissey is looking at a potential 2HKO.

Gliscor
Type: Ground / Flying
Base Stats: 75 HP / 95 Atk / 125 Def / 45 SpA / 75 SpD / 95 Spe
Abilities: Hyper Cutter / Sand Veil / Poison Heal

Gliscor needs no introduction: it is one of the most common sights in the OU metagame simply because it is able to counter and check prominent threats. Terrakion, which general consensus holds as one of the greatest threats in OU, is conditionally countered by it, and Landorus is also beaten unless it has Hidden Power Ice, making it a top-tier counter to offensive sandstorm-based teams. Indeed, perhaps the greatest testament to defensive Gliscor's effectiveness is the sheer number of physical Pokemon that run an Ice move solely for Gliscor: Tyranitar, Mienshao, and Virizion are just a few examples. While Gliscor's Dream World ability is incompatible with Roost, the combination of Toxic Orb + Poison Heal, and possibly even Substitute and Protect, is more than enough for it to last through the game.

Gyarados
Type: Water / Flying
Base Stats: 95 HP / 125 Atk / 79 Def / 60 SpA / 100 SpD / 81 Spe
Abilities: Intimidate / Moxie

Since the release of RSE, when Gyarados recieved Intimidate, Gyarados has been a particularly tough Pokemon to take down. With 95 / 79 / 100 defenses, 5 resistances, (comma) and only 2 weaknesses, (comma) Gyarados can tank a vast amount of Pokemon. Throughout the DPP era, Gyarados was one of the best Fighting-resists in the game, lowering the opponent's Attack just by coming in, (comma) and then either setting up with Dragon Dance or simply tanking them with the combination of Rest and Sleep Talk. However, with Terrakion and Virizion becoming the more popular Fighting-types in BW OU, the RestTalk set has lost a bit of its luster. It is still a threat through its raw defenses and the new move Dragon Tail, which gives it approximately a 2/3 chance to phaze in it's sleep; Gyarados is one the very few Pokemon that can afford to run a RestTalk set with the new sleep mechanics, resetting the sleep timer every time a Pokemon switches out. Substitute + Dragon Dance sets are also good for tanking hits and turn BW's standard bulky Water-types into set-up bait.

Hippowdon
Type: Ground
Base Stats: 108 HP / 112 Atk / 118 Def / 68 SpA / 72 SpD / 47 Spe
Abilities: Sand Stream / Sand Force (Unreleased)

The generation shift has not been especially generous to Hippowdon; however, its value as a physical wall has only increased with the plethora of new physical attackers introduced to the metagame, such as Terrakion and Landorus. With huge HP and Defense stats, Hippowdon is nigh on impossible to take down with a physical attack, and its respectable Special Defense coupled with its great HP allow it to take several special hits with the right investment. A decent support movepool, with options such as Stealth Rock, Roar, Yawn, and Slack Off, further enables Hippowdon to help out its teammates with ease. Hippowdon's ability, Sand Stream, not only allows it to add more residual damage to the tally, but also makes it the perfect partner to a multitude of sand abusers, letting it find a place on all kinds of teams.

Jellicent
Type: Water / Ghost
Base Stats: 100 HP / 60 Atk / 70 Def / 85 SpA / 105 SpD / 60 Spe
Abilities: Water Absorb / Cursed Body / Damp (Unreleased)

BW introduced a very welcome 2-in-1 Pokemon: Jellicent, simultaneously both a bulky Water and spinblocker. Along with Jellicent's unique Water / Ghost typing comes plenty of key resistances and immunities, two usable abilities in Water Absorb and Cursed Body, solid 100 / 70 / 105 defenses, instant recovery, a surprisingly decent offensive movepool, as well as support moves like Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, and Trick Room; in other words, all you could ask for. Jellicent's primary role on a team is typically to render Rapid Spin useless, which is why it is often found paired with a entry hazard layer, most commonly Ferrothorn. The FerroCent core is BW's answer to SkarmBliss: not only do their typings complement perfectly, Ferrothorn also sets up hazards which Jellicent then prevents the opponent from removing. Thanks to these traits, Jellicent can go toe-to-toe with some of the metagame's biggest threats, such as Heatran, Volcarona, Infernape, Mienshao, Terrakion, Swords Dance Lucario lacking Crunch, and Choice Band Scizor, just to name a few. Access to Toxic and Taunt also allow it to fare well against opposing bulky Water-types and walls. Jellicent does suffer from being setup bait for Pokemon such as ChestoRest variants of Volcarona, Nasty Plot Celebi, is largely shut down by faster Taunters like Whimsicott, and cannot stand up to the sheer power of the likes of Choice Specs Latios and Choice Band Haxorus. Nonetheless, if you need a solid defensive spinblocker and utility counter, this is the jellyfish for you.

Jirachi
Type: Steel / Psychic
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Serene Grace

Thanks to its large HP and balanced defensive stats, which are some of the most impressive in standard play, as well as its excellent defensive typing, Jirachi easily presents an insurmountable roadblock to thwart many an impending sweep. Jirachi is far from a passive sponge, however: its wide movepool allows it to be an extremely dynamic Pokemon. Jirachi is often seen spreading paralysis using either Thunder Wave or Body Slam, the latter of which has a 60% chance of paralysis thanks to Serene Grace. As a Normal-type attack, this gives Jirachi a niche ability to paralyze Ground-types. Jirachi is also an excellent team supporter with dual screens, Trick Room, or even Gravity, as it has U-turn to conserve momentum after setting up. Its Steel typing and immense special bulk further lets it check Dragon types, particularly Latios, sponging even Choice Specs Draco Meteors with ease. However, the main draw of defensive Jirachi is Wish. A multitude of resistances, great bulk, and the ability to outspeed a variety of threats even without investment lets Jirachi replenish its own health or that of a teammate reliably throughout the match. This variant of Jirachi often maximizes investment on its already large base HP stat to further enhance its capabilities, as with the new Wish mechanics, Jirachi's 202 HP Wishes can often revitalize a teammate worn down by hazards, Life Orb recoil, or an untimely misprediction. Jirachi's ability to render damage to the rest of its team null and void is what makes it such a defensive threat: be sure to pack powerful Fire- or Ground-type attacks to deal with the star, as it is notoriously difficult to 2HKO otherwise.

Latias
Type: Dragon / Psychic
Base Stats: 80 HP / 80 Atk / 90 Def / 110 SpA / 130 SpD / 110 Spe
Ability: Levitate

Despite losing Soul Dew in the generation shift, Latias still functions excellently as a special wall in standard play with her massive base 130 Special Defense, as well as neat resistances to Water-, Fire-, Electric-, Psychic-, and Fighting-type attacks. Wish Latias in particular partners very well with Ferrothorn: each covers the other's resistances almost flawlessly. Besides being able to pass Wish, Latias has access to Recover and Roost as well, allowing it to regain health in a single turn rather than two. This makes a bulky Calm Mind set an excellent choice for Latias, letting her boost her impressive Special Defense to outstanding levels and enabling her to hit very hard with STAB Dragon Pulse; Substitute, Wish, Roar, and Refresh all have good utility on this set for a variety of reasons. Finally, Latias can also be more of a team player by running an effective dual screens support set, making use of her great bulk and multitude of resistances to come in repeatedly during the match to perform her job.

Mew
Ability: Synchronize

While Mew is often seen packing an offensive punch with Nasty Plot, it can also go in the completely opposite direction as a very defensive Pokemon. With balanced base 100 defenses and access to an instant recovery move, it will not knuckle down easily. The ability to pass any type of boost—offensive as well as defensive—such as Amnesia, Calm Mind, and Bulk Up makes it perhaps the premier Baton Passer in existence. Dedicated Baton Pass variants typically carry moves that boost both an offensive stat and Speed, instantly making the recipient a true juggernaut. Mew is also a first-rate choice for a dual screens support on offense-oriented teams, as its excellent bulk and access to a speedy Taunt virtually guarantees protection for frail, high-powered sweepers. Finally, Mew's support set functions just as well on defensive teams, easily spreading status, denying its unfortunate opponent of recovery with Taunt, and stalling it out with Roost. In short, be wary of Mew, and the almost limitless options it brings to the table.

Porygon2
Base Stats: 85 HP / 80 Atk / 90 Def / 105 SpA / 95 SpD / 60 Spe
Abilities: Trace / Download / Analytic

With the advent of the Eviolite, what was once a niche OU counter has become a very intimidating tank capable of coming in on some of the top threats of OU and forcing them out. With Eviolite equipped, the range of attacks that can reliably KO Porygon2 shrink immensely, mostly leaving only powerful STAB Fighting attacks. Immense bulk, a fantastic ability in Trace, and reliable recovery enables Porygon2 to easily come in on many threats, such as Heatran, Gliscor, and Intimidate Salamence and Gyarados, and use their abilities against them. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt give it great coverage, Thunder Wave lets it provide paralysis support, Recover offsets the loss of Leftovers healing. All in all, don't underestimate this strange duck, for it is an incredibly bulky tank capable of halting your sweeps and crippling your team.

Quagsire
Type: Water / Ground
Base Stats: 95 HP / 85 Atk / 85 Def / 65 SpA / 65 SpD / 35 Spe
Abilities: Damp / Water Absorb / Unaware

After spending three entire generations being overshadowed by Swampert, Quagsire finally got his chance to shine in the OU metagame thanks to the magnificent gift he received from Dream World: Unaware. With the ability to ignore an opponent's stat boosts, a respectable amount of bulk, and Recover, Quagsire can easily check even the most dangerous physical sweepers such as Infernape, Cloyster, and Lucario. Quagsire can even run Curse to attempt to sweep, or Stockpile to become even harder to take down. However, as with any Pokemon, Quagsire isn't flawless. He's unable to touch Ferrothorn, often being setup fodder for Spikes and Stealth Rock. He also fears Toxic, cannot handle special sweepers as well as he can physical ones, and has a crippling weakness to Grass-type moves. Finally, he can be muscled through by sheer brute force such as a Choice Band Haxorus's Outrage. Nonetheless, these reasons should not put you off from giving Quagsire a chance, because this cute clueless blue blob can save you from many a tight spot.

Rotom-W
Type: Water / Electric
Base Stats: 50 HP / 65 Atk / 107 Def / 105 SpA / 107 SpD / 86 Spe
Ability: Levitate

While the loss of its Ghost typing (and thus its role as a spinblocker) has hurt Rotom-W as a defensive Pokemon, it still possesses a few important characteristics that make it worthy of a defensive role. Its changed typing, in addition to its ability, Levitate, allows it to resist a multitude of attacks in OU with only one true weakness (excluding Mold Breaker Earthquake). Additionally, its access to status moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave makes Rotom-W quite hard to play around, especially when considering it has offensive utility as well. Perhaps what differentiates Rotom-W from other Pokemon besides its unique typing is Volt Switch; by using this move, Rotom-W is able to escape from switch-ins and counters, and thus maintain the momentum of the battle within its user's favor. Volt Switch, in combination with U-turn from another teammate (most commonly Scizor), has earned Rotom-W quite a reputation as one of the top Pokemon in the metagame.

Sableye
Type: Dark / Ghost
Base Stats: 50 HP / 75 Atk / 75 Def / 65 SpA / 65 SpD / 50 Spe
Abilities: Keen Eye / Stall / Prankster

Throughout previous generations and a fair chunk of BW, Sableye has been one of the weakest Pokemon in the game. However, the release of its Dream World ability, Prankster, has turned it into a legitimate threat. This ability, combined with the classic combination of a status move, Taunt, and a recovery move gives Sableye a unique defensive niche. Fast, powerful sweepers that would normally be able to pummel a slow wall or throw up a Substitute for status protection are swiftly burned by Will-O-Wisp, and will have trouble finishing off a weakened Sableye with its priority Recover. Stall-based teams are also heavily annoyed by Sableye, as it is a very effective stallbreaker with the aforementioned combo and a solid spinblocker at the same time. Starmie and Tentacruel are the only common Rapid Spin users with a good match-up against Sableye and both get blocked well by Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn, with burn support in the case of Tentacruel. Sableye's priority moves are useful in many more ways that are fun to discover when using it.

Skarmory
Type: Steel / Flying
Base Stats: 65 HP / 80 Atk / 140 Def / 40 SpA / 70 SpD / 70 Spe
Abilities: Keen Eye / Sturdy / Weak Armor

In a metagame dominated by powerful physical attackers such as Tyranitar and Conkeldurr, Skarmory stands out as a fantastic physical wall, courtesy of its unique Steel / Flying typing and huge base Defense stat. The generation shift also brought a useful buff to Skarmory's ability Sturdy, in effect giving it a Focus Sash whenever it is at full health. Reliable recovery in the form of Roost, a multitude of resistances thanks to its Steel typing, as well as a valuable Ground-type immunity help Skarmory wall a large number of threats, including but not limited to Landorus, Haxorus, and Conkeldurr. Skarmory can also utilize its physical bulk and typing to lay entry hazards such as Spikes and Stealth Rock; furthermore, it has Whirlwind and Taunt in its arsenal to phaze stat boosters, cause residual damage, and shut down slower walls such as Ferrothorn and Hippowdon. As far as attacking goes, Skarmory also has a powerful STAB Brave Bird to dent weak opponents. Despite all these positive characteristics, Skarmory's defensive capabilities are undermined by its poor Special Defense and weaknesses to common Electric- and Fire-type attacks, which means that Skarmory can easily be brought down by powerful special attackers such as Infernape, Rotom-W, Starmie, Magnezone, and Heatran. Still, its physical bulk and typing make Skarmory a very reliable physical wall and a great asset to any team.

Slowbro
Type: Water / Psychic
Base Stats: 95 HP / 75 Atk / 110 Def / 100 SpA / 80 SpD / 30 Spe
Abilities: Oblivious / Own Tempo / Regenerator

Slowbro has been a superb choice for the role of physical bulky Water-type ever since he made his first appearance in RBY. BW has given Slowbro a significant boost with the ability Regenerator, which restores 1/3 of his HP when switching out. With a great typing, good defenses, and decent Special Attack, Slowbro can serve many roles; however, he is commonly first and foremost a physical wall. With his natural bulk and a choice of STAB moves such as Scald, Surf, Psychic, and Psyshock, he is a great counter to the many hard-hitting Fighting-types and physical sweepers that abound in OU, in particular Conkeldurr and Terrakion. This makes Slowbro one of the best anti-metagame Pokemon, as both these offensive threats are very common. Slowbro has a large support movepool, containing moves such as Yawn, Thunder Wave, and Toxic, as well as Slack Off for instant recovery. He can also support his team by setting up dual screens or Trick Room. Sets running Calm Mind increase Slowbro's walling prowess, making him not only a physical wall, but very hard to break specially as well. After a few boosts, he may also be able to go on the offensive and put quite a large dent in the opposing team, with good coverage options like Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam. There are also Choice Specs Slowbro variants, which—don't laugh—can be surprisingly hard to counter due to his impressive coverage and good base Special Attack.

Starmie
Type: Water / Psychic
Base Stats: 60 HP / 75 Atk / 85 Def / 100 SpA / 85 SpD / 115 Spe
Abilities: Illuminate / Natural Cure / Analytic (Unreleased)

While Starmie may be famous for its fantastic Life Orb set of the DPP era, it is also valued highly this generation for its ability to function as a defensive Rapid Spinner and glue for a team. As the fastest Rapid Spinner (and the only one with reliable recovery to boot), Starmie functions very well in the metagame. Starmie can use its famously great coverage and and good Special Attack stat to overwhelm common spinblockers, such as Jellicent, Dusclops, and Spiritomb. Also on Starmie's defensive resume are key resistances to Water-, Ice-, Fire-, and Fighting-type moves, which let it come in comfortably on a wide range of attacks to perform its duty despite its underwhelming defenses. These advantages, as well as a great ability in Natural Cure, which removes status such as from the likes of Toxic Spikes, makes Starmie a very useful defensive Pokemon, and noteworthy even outside of its many offensive sets.

Tentacruel
Type: Water / Poison
Base Stats: 80 HP / 70 Atk / 65 Def / 80 SpA / 120 SpD / 100 Spe
Abilities: Clear Body / Liquid Ooze / Rain Dish

While at first glance Tentacruel may appear to be just another run-of-the-mill bulky Water, it possesses a few qualities that let it stand out from the pack. First is its interesting Water / Poison typing, which bestows on Tentacruel resistances to many common attacking types, as well as the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes upon entering the field. Along with its ability to use Rapid Spin, as well as set up its own Toxic Spikes, this goes a long way towards earning it a spot on most stall or defensively-orientated teams. Its Rain Dish ability in particular works excellently on rain-based stall, giving it phenomenal recovery and alleviating perhaps its greatest weakness: its lack of a reliable recovery move. Liquid Ooze, on the other hand, has the niche of letting it counter the few Pokemon that use health-draining moves, particularly special Virizion, Conkeldurr, and Ferrothorn. In short, Tentacruel, although an uncommon Pokemon, is capable of many great things if used correctly.

Vaporeon
Type: Water
Base Stats: 130 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 110 SpA / 95 SpD / 65 Spe
Abilities: Water Absorb / Hydration

Vaporeon still plays mostly the same way as it has since ADV, a bulky Water-type that can pass Wish and packs a punch with an above average base 110 Special Attack stat. Vaporeon certainly got its fair share of gifts through the Black & White release though; Wish now heals any recipient's HP by half of the user's, letting Vaporeon really take advantage of its base 130 HP stat. The new move Scald is also useful for a potential burn, making it easier to wall physical attacks and wear down opposing tanks. The biggest boost Vaporeon received though is Drizzle Politoed; Hydration gives it a complete immunity to status under rain, meaning it has nothing to fear from bulky status-inducing Pokemon; it is one of the very few tanks that isn't annoyed by stallbreaker Mew. This ability also lets it Rest and recover all of its health instantly; you're essentially using a Full Restore on it.

Wobbuffet
Base Stats: 190 HP / 33 Atk / 58 Def / 33 SpA / 58 SpD / 33 Spe
Abilities: Shadow Tag / Telepathy (Unreleased)

Most Pokemon can be classed into a few broad categories: sweeper, wall, tank, etc. Wobbuffet cannot, however, because it is completely unique in what it does, thanks to its ability, Shadow Tag. With the opponent unable to switch, Wobbuffet can use Counter and Mirror Coat together with its colossal HP stat to KO almost anything, especially if said opponent is Choice-locked. It can also use Encore against Pokemon which try to set up against it, and Tickle against Pokemon like Blissey, who can then be smacked by a teammate's Pursuit for an easy KO. Its tiny movepool also contains Safeguard, which can stop Encored status moves from harming incoming sweepers, and Destiny Bond, which can hopefully help Wobbuffet take down one more Pokemon with it, or at least after the Custap Berry is released. Unfortunately, these last two are not used much because of Wobbuffet's poor Speed, and it literally has no other moves available to it but Splash. Nonetheless, it does not need anything more to become the ultimate anti-metagame Pokemon that it is. Team Preview has made preparing for Wobbuffet slightly easier, but it is as uncounterable as ever, and a definite threat in the OU tier.

Xatu
Type: Psychic / Flying
Base Stats: 65 HP / 75 Atk / 70 Def / 95 SpA / 70 SpD / 95 Spe
Abilities: Synchronize / Early Bird / Magic Bounce

Xatu is the perfect example of a Pokemon that sorely needed a boost, and got exactly what it needed to compete in BW: Magic Bounce. This ability works as an automatic Magic Coat, allowing Xatu to reflect entry hazards, status moves, and phazing moves. Couple this with a 4x resistance to Fighting, a Ground immunity, as well as resistances to Grass and Psychic, and you have the makings of a good defensive switch-in to Blissey, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and some Jellicent. However, not everything is sunshine and rainbows for this mystical bird. It faces stiff competition in its niche role from Espeon, who boasts Baton Pass as well as higher Special Attack and Speed. Xatu also has a crippling Stealth Rock weakness, meaning that it will have difficulty switching in if it couldn't stop said hazards being set up. Tyranitar also walks all over Xatu, clobbering it with Dark and Rock STAB, especially in the form of Pursuit. Still, if your team needs something to stop entry hazards or a somewhat bulky Fighting resist, Xatu should be one of the first Pokemon to look at.

Xatu should actually probably be rewritten. Right now it's written as an overview and not as a threat list entry which should focus on what the Pokemon is and what it brings to the table, not on its weaknesses or where it faces being outclassed.

Otherwise, with this the Defensive list should be good to go.

GP Approved (2/2)

AccidentalGreed

Oh for the love of god I'm so sorry I missed this.

I'll save you the trouble Nexus. I'll just edit this in sometime soon, when my stationary isn't limited to a simple touchscreen.

AccidentalGreed

Okay, I'm done. Now I'm just waiting for a few peeps to keep their promise. Alakazam and Celebi will be up sooner or later.

I swear to god people need to learn to use commas.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Placeholder to work on Alakazam (Sorry for not doing this earlier, will do it over the weekend)

Alakazam
Typing: Psychic
Base Stats: 55 HP / 50 Atk / 45 Def / 135 SpA / 85 SpD / 120 Spe
Abilities: Synchronize / Inner Focus / Magic Guard

Alakazam, while denied OU status for numerous generations, was finally given it in part thanks to a new ability, Magic Guard. Now that it gained OU status, Alakazam is here to showcase its immense power. Packing base 135 Special Attack as well as base 120 Speed, and a move called Psyshock to hit the two blobs Chansey and Blissey, Alakazam is one tough cookie to break. It also runs plenty of sets, from Sub + 3 Attacks to Offensive Calm Mind to All-Out Focus Sash sets, its hard to predict what exactly Alakazam will be doing. It is also hard to decide what item it could be holding due to Magic Guard making Alakazam take no recoil from Life Orb. Coverage wise, Alakazam strives for coverage with moves such as Focus Blast and Shadow Ball. However, some even run Hidden Power Fire, especially on the Focus Sash set to deal with one of Alakazam's biggest checks, Scizor. All in all, Alakazam is a Pokemon of immense power, and if you ever see one in battle, have a game plan for it, or else you'll be in trouble.

AccidentalGreed

Okay, BW2's out, I've stalled on this too long, and I'd like to get this out of the way as soon as possible. If somebody is willing to do the final fight by writing up a short paragraph for Celebi, or immediately uploading this, then I will be a very happy camper. Worst comes to worst, I'll be the one to write up Celebi, although keep in mind that I have not used it on my teams for long, and my experience is limited to past experiences + the current Celebi analysis.

Thanks. I've already put in and edited Alakazam, so it's just a matter of somebody helping me out :)

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't worry AG, TrollFreak is here with a paragraph for Celebi!

Celebi
Typing: Grass / Psychic
Abilities: Natural Cure

Celebi is a Pokemon that has always shined in the OU environment. It is easy to see why, as a typing that grants in 6 resistances, base 100 stats across the board, and a useful ability in Natural Cure, make Celebi a very viable OU threat. Also, due to those stats, Celebi can go either defensive or offensive. Defensively, resisting such types such as Water, Ground, Fighting, and Electric, very common offensive types in OU, as well as sporting moves such as Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, Leech Seed, Recover, Dual Screens and Heal Bell, Celebi is a great team supporter and defensive pivot for offensively based teams. Offensively, sporting two great boosting attacks in Nasty Plot and Calm Mind, as well as coverage moves in Earth Power and Hidden Power Fire or Ice, Celebi can rip through unprepared teams with ease. Celebi can also run choice sets, as it also gains Trick and U-turn, allowing it to cripple a potential check or keep up the momentum. Finally, to top of the great Pokemon which is Celebi, it can also use Baton Pass to pass along Substitutes, boosts from Nasty Plot, Calm Mind, or even Swords Dance, and with that great bulk, its easy to see why. However, it isn't all fun and games for the pixie. Since Celebi doesn't gain Psyshock, it can't get past Blissey or Chansey, two Pokemon which will give Celebi trouble. Celebi also has a 4x weakness to bug, meaning it can't handle Scizor without Hidden Power Fire. Speaking of Scizor, it can also trap Celebi with Pursuit due to Celebi's Psychic sub type. Other Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Weavile can also trap Celebi with Pursuit. Lastly, Dragon-type Pokemon give Celebi trouble without Hidden Power Ice, though Thunder Wave will keep them at bay. All in all, Celebi is a Pokemon with many uses in the OU metagame, and differently a Pokemon to watch out for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)