Gen 5 Hail+Power Herb Kyurem HO - Suspect Team

aboma.pnglatios.pngchomp.pngjirachi.pngcloyster.pngkyurem.png
Hiya, I'm back with another team that I thought was interesting another to RMT. The team I'm showing off is the team I used to get the Cloyster suspect requirements in less than a day of them being posted.

:abomasnow: Abomasnow is deceptively hard to switch into. Combine that with the fact that defensive checks get their leftovers denied by the Hail Abomasnow helps keep Steel Types low as well as helping very nicely with the Rain MU. Now if im being honest, the EV spread I used was completely ripped from someone else so I'm not going to act like that was my idea. But as for what it does is simply out speed Standard Rotom-Wash and some faster variants of Jellicent and Wood Hammer them before you get burned by Will-O-Wisp, max Special Attack to hit Dragon checks such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn as hard as possible and then what's left just goes into Attack.

:Latios: Latios is the best Mon in the tier, and if you are trying to deviate from the norms you probably want one on your team. Latios here is our only real Keldeo and Thundurus switch in. I gave it the Colbur Berry because it helps the Keldeo Sand MU. Colbur Berry can also be used to bluff Scarf which is nice to lure in Scizor and Hidden Power Fire it. Latios is also ground immune which we dont really switch in well to. Latios also enjoys Steel Types being chipped and can also help with that by spamming Draco Meteor and Hidden Power Fire.

:Garchomp: Another Dragon. Gives speed control with a Choice Scarf, also making for a good late game cleaner. Garchomp is also the Volcarona check which is a bit dodgy but as long as you can chip it enough and pressure it every turn so the opponent can't get in with it you should be fine. Garchomp also has another way of doing passive damage with Rough Skin which is nice for chipping Excadrill and punishing U-Turn from Landorus, Jirachi and Scizor. It's also a Ground Type so it gives another way of pivoting through Thundurus if you don't want to risk Paralysis on Latios.

:Jirachi: Now so far, we have ways of blowing up the opponents team. But we have no way to ensure that we are not getting blown up. We also need Stealth Rock since we have a Choice Scarf Garchomp. So we have Jirachi I guess? This Jirachi set is weird but almost required I think. 260 speed to outrun Mamoswine and unboosted Dragonite(Not that this one matters), and the big one which is Scizor. I know it's a lot faster than Scizor but I also wanted to hit Mamoswine so there we go. Fire Punch on Jirachi ensures that an Sword Dance Scizor will not 6-0. Apart from that, Fire Punch is nice for hitting low HP Ferrothorn. The rest of this set is normal. U-Turn for pivoting, Iron Head for flinching and such, and a HP and Special Defence Spread so I can actually switch into Latios.

:Cloyster: Shame this thing will probably get banned but here it is. Cloyster's high Defence stat as well as it's access to Shell Smash and Rapid Spin alongside its ice typing make it a perfect fit here. This team would struggle very hard into Ground Types and Hazards if it wasn't for Cloyster. It's ability to turn Mons such as Landorus and Garchomp which looks very annoying for this team into set up fodder or even a spin chance is huge. Outside of its Defencive value, Cloyster is Cloyster. Razor Shell on this set because Heatran kind of walls everything on this team if I cant nail it with a Surf or Outrage from Kyurem-B. Writing this now, I'm probably considering Earthquake or even Bulldoze on the Abomasnow to slow down Volcarona and hit Heatran.

:Kyurem-Black: Final slot on this team is Kyurem-Black. Again, not going to act like I created this set of spread. I stole it from one of the sample teams and thought it would work well here. Substitute can allow Kyurem to get multiple free turns. Skarmory comes into take Outrage as you Substitute into Fusion Bolt, and then the Opponent is picking another one. Freeze Shock just slams Steel's very hard, and even Non-Steels just drop too. This set usually gets Multiple turns to come in vs Rain so the MU should be pretty straight forward vs Rain.

:abomasnow: :Latios: :Garchomp: :Jirachi: :Cloyster: :Kyurem-Black:
Overall, this team isn't great defensively. But what HO team is. I had a lot of fun building and using this team so I hope you enjoy it. If you have any suggestions please let me know, I would love to hear them!
Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Good job friend :) this looks like a really good team, although I do see hyper offense teams with volc giving this a tough time, although that can still be managed and played around.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I really like this take on Aboma lead offense. Think it has a good mix of conventional offensive strategies and some new school technology.

Wouldn’t suggest many changes, and certainly nothing personnel wise. I do find Rock Slide on Scarf Chomp to get diminished returns on a team like this. You’re guaranteed to get 6.25-12.5% chip (if not more depending upon turns) on Volcarona in any sequence where an RK is on the horizon due to lead Abomasnow. Far more often than not, you’ll see Volcarona on weatherless or Sand, not Rain, meaning that from lead you assure it’ll be chipped by weather. With Leftovers Volcarona being hardly ever used, I think EQ or Outrage tend to be enough while locking into Rock Slide against offense can actually backfire a lot if they have a Breloom, Garchomp, Jirachi, etc.

Personally I’d consider making Garchomp a weather move to disrupt opposing Rain after Politoed is foddered early, Stealth Rock, or even Dragon Claw last just for accurate, non-locked STAB damage. Triple dragon move may seem silly, but it’s bailed me out of having to risk misses a lot over the years. If you want Rock Slide for not having to lock in against healthier Thundy/Torn or random Moltres, that is fair though.

Nice job overall here!

I really like this take on Aboma lead offense. Think it has a good mix of conventional offensive strategies and some new school technology.

Wouldn’t suggest many changes, and certainly nothing personnel wise. I do find Rock Slide on Scarf Chomp to get diminished returns on a team like this. You’re guaranteed to get 6.25-12.5% chip (if not more depending upon turns) on Volcarona in any sequence where an RK is on the horizon due to lead Abomasnow. Far more often than not, you’ll see Volcarona on weatherless or Sand, not Rain, meaning that from lead you assure it’ll be chipped by weather. With Leftovers Volcarona being hardly ever used, I think EQ or Outrage tend to be enough while locking into Rock Slide against offense can actually backfire a lot if they have a Breloom, Garchomp, Jirachi, etc.

Personally I’d consider making Garchomp a weather move to disrupt opposing Rain after Politoed is foddered early, Stealth Rock, or even Dragon Claw last just for accurate, non-locked STAB damage. Triple dragon move may seem silly, but it’s bailed me out of having to risk misses a lot over the years. If you want Rock Slide for not having to lock in against healthier Thundy/Torn or random Moltres, that is fair though.

Nice job overall here!
i built this for a side tour but i had different set on the kyurem and i remember talking to someone about considering rocks on the garchomp too, i think in hindsight it may be a better change as you said because locking into rock slide vs ho can be dangerous. i also considered going with a faster spread on kyurem for exca as that thing can also be annoying if i dont position it right. thanks for the feedback, always appreciated!

dawn to the dusk

during the tough day
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
This team looks quite good and got enough power to break opp's team, i think with high level player they can undoubtedly play the full strength of the team and give the other team enough defensive pressure, but for players who are not good enough, once the offensive pressure of the team is not enough, the opponent has the chance to counterattack, then its defense will be quickly broken, so my suggestion is to those players who are not good enough how to better use the team.
Here is the eazy version.
Rain+pherb kyu ho - triple axel blaze Version2 (pokepast.es)
latios item
>
trick > roost will make people not fear tyran/scizor anymore and memento > hp fire, when hit one draco meteor and click memento give the cloy the chance to set up, eazy combo to let people keep giving attack pressure.
Polited > Abomasnow and ferrothorn > jirachi is another combo. On the one hand, it makes up for the joint defense. On the other hand, rain team's offensive routine is relatively simple and easy to use.
Starmie > garchomp gives the team two stealthyrock weaken the opportunity to go in and attack,also with the rainy attack, it can bring no small offensive pressure to the opponent. Hope this be useful and feel free to give out the advice when u feel this team is not good engouh, ty guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)