Hitmonlee's Dream Realized

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, now unfortunately the inevitable words pop up This is my first rmt. Alright I said it and I hope you won't hold it against me, anyway this team has been my most promising team quickly netting me a 16-1 record(the lose was due to an untimely Stone Edge miss against a Shandera). Right now the team sits at around a 1200 rank and broke top 100 after only one night playing it. So since I know sometimes these intros are annoying thats get right to it.

The Line-up:

The Usual Lead​

Dragonite@Expert Belt
Trait:Multi-Scale
EVs: 4 Spe / 252 Atk / 252 SpAtk
Mild Nature (+SpAtk, -Def)
-ExtremeSpeed
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake

Now while leads are really a thing of the past Dragonite tends to more often than not end up in front. Multi-scale gives him a pseudo-sash, allowing for him to hit with one of his high power moves and then finish off the threat with that sexy +2 priority ExtremeSpeed. He has also proved to be an excellent mid-late game cleaner utilizing essentially the same strategy as stated above. Again, ExtremeSpeed is often used to finish off fast weak threats not named Shandera. Not much else to say about this dude, he's proved to be worth his weight in gold.​

A Defensive Sweeper?​

Bronzong@Macho Brace
Trait:Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Hp / 252 Atk
Brave Nature (+SpAtk, -Def)
-Trick Room
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Trick

A fairly new take on an old pokemon. With a Speed of 31, Gyro Ball is almost always near its max 150 BP, that coming off of Bronzong's respectable 304 Attack hurts more than you'd think. But the real beauty of this guy is when you send him in, force a switch and proceed to Trick Room, turning Bronzong into the fastest 'mon out there. He also serves as a check to a lot of common physical threats in the metagame. Trick replaced Zen Headbutt as I found I rarely used it. Tricking a Macho Brace onto a enemy Latios or Kerudio has proven very useful. I have also thought of replacing Trick with Explosion, even with the nerf it might prove useful as a last ditch effort.​

The Main Suspect​

Darkrai@BlackGlasses
Trait:Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Dark Void
-Substitute
-Dark Pulse
-Focus Blast

What can be said about Darkrai that hasn't been said before....... I think if your not using Darkrai on a OU team your just kidding yourself. With the new sleep mechanics Darkrai essentially eliminates one(probably more) of the opponents team. I've thought about switching to the Nasty Plot set as it packs more of a punch. Let me know what you guys think about the Nasty Plot/Sub debate. An immense threat, used to take out any 'mon who has no other checks.​

Mr. Aladdin Sir​

Randorosu@Life Orb
Trait:Encourage
-Earth Power
-Slime Wave
-Psychic
-Focus Blast

Encourage Randorosu, people rarely see this guy coming. For everyone who knows how powerful EncourageOrb Nidoking is, well heres his older brother! 329 SpAtk backed by the non-recoil power of EncourageOrb is just awesome. I've tried Rock Polish over Slime Wave but it never really took off. People tend to bring in physical walls and get smacked with his awesome Special Attacks. His trolly speed is so incredibly useful and allows him to outspeed loads of threats.​

Revenge Killer Extraordinaire​

Latios@Choice Scarf
Trait:Levitate
-Draco Meteor
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Trick

Easily my favorite revenge killer in the metagame today. For some reason people never see this guy with a scarf and they think their scarfchomp is safe. I originally had ditto here because well because it gave me a failsafe against set-ups. But I found Bronzong and Hitmonlee were more than enough if someone tried setting up and the only match I lost was because ditto was my last guy and I had to bring it out against a erufuun, not fun. I also had a problem with bulky waters if Darkrai had already fainted so Latios helps against them.​

The Star of the Show​

Hitmonlee@Normal Jewel
Trait:Unburden
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
-Fake Out
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stone Edge
-Mach Punch

I really think Hitmonlee is the dark horse of the Dream World metagame. If I had a win for every time I've got asked "How fast is your Hitmonlee" I'd have, well the amount of wins I have right now. After my team has broken down my opponent I bring in Hitmonlee and he cleans up. Fake Out is used eliminating the Normal Jewel, activating Unburden bringing Hitmonlee's speed to a blazing 546. Mach Punch is there for Dory, cause that scary mole still outspeeds. This guy works wonders.​

So there you go, have at it!

Hey, nice team.

Well first of all, Dragonite definatley wants Life Orb over Expert Belt. His speed sucks anyway so if you give him a Quiet nature, you won't have to worry about Life Orb crapping all over Multi-Scale. It will also improve his impressive defense stat. Also, if you don't use Life Orb, definatley don't use Expert Belt. Dragon has atrocious super effective coverage, and Normal doesn't even have super effective coverage, so don't use Expert Belt. Bluffing a choice item isn't really important on a lead anyway because it's going to be too early in the game to matter. You might also want to try Roost over Earthquake because Heatran is handled by Latios, Hitmonlee, and Randorosu, and Roost can help you stall out your opponent with Multi-Scale. Thunder can also be used for Politoed.

Ok, Bronzong, what's it doing for your team? Trick Room looks extremely out of place on your team, and Iron Ball is better anyway so you can hit crap that can fly. Sure, it beats non-Balloon Doryuuzu (which is pretty rare), but it's pretty random on your team, especially with half of your team hitting 110, 125, and 115 speed. This is just me, but I would use Stealth Rock over Trick Room and a screen over Trick. Also Shed Shell becuase Shandera is stupid.

The Darkrai set looks interesting. I really like the concept of Dark Void almost always winning you a substitute, especially with Bad Dreams, and think that can be abused more. Perhaps Petaya Berry? You still bluff the Choice item and you get a much better powerup than your current item. It also powers up Focus Blast which is nice. Maybe you can consider this suggestion, it did really well in fourth gen. Ubers for me.

Why are you using a special attacking Randorusu? It's special movepool isn't all that great compared to it's physical movepool, it's attack is higher, and you already have enough special attackers. This would probably be the domanant set:

@ Life Orb
Trait: Encourage
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn / Swords Dance / Substitute
- Explosion

Gotta love that animation. Just don't use Swords Dance with U-turn and you're fine.

Love the Hitmonlee idea! I have to try that. Also, a spread of 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Speed is more efficient on Hitmonlee to hit 526 Speed (outspeeding scarf base 115s like Latios and Gengar). A little more bulk might help you set up.

Overall, I really like this team. The whole concept facinates me, the synergy is uncanny (I forgot what that means I just really wanted to use it but I think it means good) and the creativity is awesome :) good luck and btw ANIMATED SPRITES FFS http://www.arkeis.com/animatedsprites.html

How much damage does a mach punch do to a dory at full hp? Either way, I am glad to see someone using Hitmonlee, as I feel it is a poke that has been passed up. Anyway, Charmander is right. Bronzong with TR could actually hurt you more than help. I'm speaking about that from first hand experience. Other than that and running a physical set like Charmander said on Landlos you're all set in my book.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
response

Thanks for the in-depth response Charmander :) Thats a good point about Life Orb, I used to run it but that was when I ran Speed EV's and it always broke his Multi-Scale :D

Again another good point about Bronzong, I've always used it as a Dory counter but all of them seem to run Balloon now plus +2 X-Scissor hurts Zong a lot. I might try a few other 'mons in zong's place. He hasn't really been carrying his weight the higher rank I go. Another good point.

Special Randorusu is there for surprise value and due to most of his physical moves not getting a boost from Encourage. His special move pool might not be awesome but EncourageOrb really makes up for it plus 115 base SpAtk is still respectable.

I'm def going to switch Hitmonlee's EV's up. Like you said Max Speed is necessary :)

Thanks a lot and yeah I like the animated sprites but they didn't have Bronzong so I went for unanimated.

Ok one of us is misunderstanding encourage. Probably me though lol. To my knowledge it boosts he power of ALL moves but takes away effects from those who have then. Is this right?

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks a lot =)

The thing is though that Hidden Power Flying and Earth Power together hit everything that Slime Wave and Psychic do with STAB, but I guess the Encourage boost is pretty much STAB. Ok then :)

EDIT: Wait a minute, Earthquake has the effect that it hits underground Pokemon for double damage, so doesn't encourage boost it? Stone Edge has the high crit ratio too, so encourage should boost that

Only moves with a secondary effect that have a % chance of occurring on the enemy. Moves like Rock Slide (30% flinch), Thunderbolt (10% Paralysis), Shadow Ball (10% SpD drop), etc. Earthquake and Stone Edge are not boosted by Encourage.

Though I agree, HP Flying, even if not Encourage boosted is still more powerful with STAB and has better coverage than Slime Wave or Psychic. HP Ice alternatively has much better coverage and OHKOs other Landlos and Gliscor. If you do use HP Flying though, than replace Slime Wave.

Only moves with a secondary effect that have a % chance of occurring on the enemy. Moves like Rock Slide (30% flinch), Thunderbolt (10% Paralysis), Shadow Ball (10% SpD drop), etc. Earthquake and Stone Edge are not boosted by Encourage.

Though I agree, HP Flying, even if not Encourage boosted is still more powerful with STAB and has better coverage than Slime Wave or Psychic. HP Ice alternatively has much better coverage and OHKOs other Landlos and Gliscor. If you do use HP Flying though, than replace Slime Wave.
And Psychic. Psychic hits Poisons (EarthPower does too) and Fightings (Hidden Power Flying does too) for super effective coverage. Slime Wave only hits Grasses which Hidden Power will do, so maybe he can use Grass Knot or something for bulky Waters and Grounds.

Looking at his limited special movepool I think HP Flying, Earth Power and Focus Blast are enough. The fourth slot should be a support move like Substitute, Rock Polish or even Calm Mind, which seems absurd to me lol. Landlos does not look like a Calm Minder.

@ Life Orb
Trait: Encourage
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn / Swords Dance / Substitute
- Explosion
I'm pretty sure with encourage rock slide does more damage and it also has more accuracy so use that over stone edge.

I also agree with changing bronzong because the rest of your team is super fast and trick room doesn't go well with it.

By the way I love the Hitmonlee set. So much speed seems a little bit unnecessary though. I ran some calculations for how much bulk should be put into it. Shandera can always switch into your fake-outs, but if you put 64 evs into HP, it is guaranteed to survive a Psychic from a Modest scarfed Shandera. If you put 88 evs into HP, you can survive a Psychic from modest scarfed Shandera after switching into Stealth Rocks.You will still die almost every time from a Modest Overheat however. You would need 252 evs in HP to survive a Modest overheat, which isn't worth it at all. From a timid Overheat, you need 124 evs in HP, and 148 with Stealth Rocks. However, that will leave you with only 474 speed, and you will be out sped by +Speed natured pokemon with scarfs that have a base stat of 99 or more in speed, which is not good. If you want to out speed super fast +speed things with scarf like Latios, you need 212 evs in speed, but not many people would use a Scarf and a +Speed nature on something that fast. I think a good stat to aim for is out speeding all of the Dragons, because Scarfed Garchomps with a +Speed nature are fairly common. Those things reach 500 speed, so you will need 164 evs in Speed to out speed those. That also leaves you with 92 evs to put into HP to survive attacks. So it would look like this.

Hitmonlee@Normal Jewel
Ability: Unburden
Evs: 252 Atk / 164 Spe / 92 HP
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
-Fake Out
-Mach Punch
-Stone Edge
-High Jump Kick

That is my suggestion but you can use whichever set of evs you want. I hope I helped.

This seems like a fantastic team, the one problem I see, is that 3 of your Pokemon are weak to Ice, 2 have a 4x weakness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)