Hitmontop (Gen 4, adding Rest + Sleep Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/hitmontop

[SET]
name: Rest + Sleep Talk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Hi Jump Kick / Revenge
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmontop has acceptable defenses, access to Intimidate and a number of useful resistances, most notably Dark and Rock. However, the lack of an instant recovery move makes coming in repeatedly on even resisted attacks difficult. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk helps to remedy this problem somewhat, and allows Hitmontop to come in on status moves from the likes of Clefable and Vileplume much more easily. Hi Jump Kick is the most reliable option for a STAB move on this set, though Revenge is another good option which allows you to hit opponents harder when you attack after your opponent. Bear in mind that Revenge's -3 priority will be ignored when using Sleep Talk, though Hitmontop is relatively slow anyway so Revenge's base power will be 120 most of the time. Close Combat is not recommended, as the defense drops make it unsuitable for a set that is meant to be taking hits.</p>

<p>The Speed EVs ensure that Hitmontop outspeeds all Relicanth, Crawdaunt, Omastar and Cacturne without a beneficial nature or a Choice Scarf. If you want to drop the Speed down slightly, 56 Speed ensures that you outspeed any Golem and Armaldo that don't use a Jolly nature. If using this set in OU, 184 Speed is a noteworthy benchmark to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar.</p>

I've used RestTalk Hitmontop, it's my favorite Hitmontop set, but I always finding myself using much more Attack. I usually use Adamant 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe.

I also use Close Combat. I don't mind the defense drops much because most of what I'll be tanking hits from will be OHKOed, and I generally like the reliability over Revenge/High Jump Kick. If Revenge is used in your sleep, it will barely phaze Steelix at all, as well as other walls that take good daage from Close Combat.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
<p>The Speed EVs ensure that Hitmontop outspeeds all Relicanth, Crawdaunt, Omastar and Cacturne that do not use a +Spe (should be "beneficial nature") nature or a Choice Scarf. If you want to drop the speed down slightly, 56 Speed ensures that you outspeed any Golem and Armaldo that don't use a Jolly nature. If using this set in OU, 184 Speed is a noteworthy benchmark to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar.</p>
seems solid I'll be trying it out on my next team

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
your hitmontop's hi jump kick against maxHP/minDef Careful Steelix: 116 - 136 3HKO
~ against same spread aggron: 254 - 299 2HKO
...just 2 name a few

use adamant or some attack evs
i do agree though that it makes Hitmontop bulkier.

I'm kind of wondering what you guys are planning on doing for the UU Platinum Revamps now that the new UU list is coming out.

I'd personally run more Attack in favor of less Speed. I've used this set before and I personally find it to be amazing in UU.

Also, I'm fairly sure you say "outrun" over "outspeed" but "outspeeding" over "outrunning".

EDIT: Actually I don't think that's true.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/hitmontop

[SET]
name: Rest + Sleep Talk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Hi Jump Kick / Revenge
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Hitmontop has acceptable defenses, access to Intimidate and a number of useful resistances, most notably Dark and Rock (removed unneeded fluff). However, the lack of an instant recovery move makes coming in repeatedly on even resisted attacks difficult. The combination of (removed) Rest and Sleep Talk helps to remedy this problem and allows Hitmontop to come in on status moves from the likes of Clefable and Vileplume much more easily. Hi Jump Kick is the most reliable option for a STAB move on this set, though Revenge is another good option which allows you to hit opponents harder when you attack after your opponent. Bear in mind that Revenge's -3 priority will be ignored when using Sleep Talk, though Hitmontop is relatively slow anyway so Revenge's base power will be 120 most of the time. Close Combat is not recommended, as the defense drops make it unsuitable for a set that is meant to be taking hits.</p>

<p>The Speed EVs ensure that Hitmontop outspeeds all Relicanth, Crawdaunt, Omastar and Cacturne (132 Speed EVs only ties with them) without a beneficial nature or a Choice Scarf. If you want to drop the Speed down slightly, 56 Speed ensures that you outspeed any Golem and Armaldo that don't use a Jolly nature. If using this set in OU, 184 Speed is a noteworthy benchmark to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar.</p>
looks good. nice job.

^Thanks, fixed.

As for the harder hit on Steelix, Steelix isn't staying in on any Hitmontop set unless it's a Choice set already locked into something that isn't a Fighting STAB. As you said, with this spread you easily 3HKO Steelix with Hi Jump Kick, whilst it can't really do anything in return but Explode, and with more Attack and Close Combat you still don't OHKO it so it can Explode on you anyway. Furthermore, if it does decide to Explode on you and you don't expect it, after Intimidate and a Close Combat defense drop, Explosion will almost always OHKO you, even with my more defensive spread. With more Attack and less Defense EVs, you never survive it. Without a defense drop, taking Intimidate into account, 120 Atk Steelix can't do more than 75% with Explosion. I'll admit that Revenge isn't particularly helpful against Steelix though; I've never actually tested Revenge so I'm not really sure as to how well it works tbh. I might remove it and add Close Combat in, as I can see when it might be useful.

Running Speed has actually been amazingly helpful; when you consider that Relicanth, Crawdaunt and Cacturne are all things that Hitmontop should be coming in on, and outspeeding and only taking ~40% instead of ~75% before you even manage to attack from things that Hitmontop should be countering is incredibly helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)