VGC Looking for the finishing touch

Hello and thank you for your time. I have made adjustments to my VGC Team and am having more success. Incineroar has greatly helped out my team with intimidate and Fake-Out Support and provided a safe switch in on fire types. It still feels like something is missing though. I suspect that I may need to switch out Kartana for another mon, but am uncertain as to which creature it should be.

My Team​

1524797378508.png
1524797196874.png
1524797214384.png
1524797253366.png
1524797152728.png
1524797223610.png

1524799085728.png

Manry (Incineroar) @ Incinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Atk / 12 Def / 20 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 9 SpA
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Darkest Lariat

I am loving this cat so far. Intimidate and Fake Out make him my go to lead. From there I switch him in and out as needed reduce enemy attack, absorb fire/dark/ice attacks, provide openings for Tailwind/Calm Mind setup or to allow another attacker to hit a faster Pokemon. He has enough bulk to be able to survive a Muddy Water from Tapu Fini, a Stomping Tantrum from MegaGross and a Rock Slide from Landorus-T. Flare Blitz and Darkest Lariat are his primary attacks. I heavily considered using Knock Off, but Darkest Lariat hits harder and allows for him to use Malicious Moonsault (which is stronger than the Knock Off based Blackhole Eclipse). I tested out an Assualt Vest variant, but the lack of Protect lead to too many KO's for my liking.
1524797712966.png

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 228 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Zapdos still has a main goal of setting up Tailwind. Since I am not currently using Tapu Koko, I am running Electrium Z on Zapdos to punch a hole in my opponent's team. I like having 2 Z-Move users as it gives me more options for attacks, plus the pinch berry was unable to be consistently activated. Roost also allows Zapdos some recover to compensate for the lack of pinch berry. I am open to suggestions on EVs; I like Zapdos's bulk, but I would not be opposed to a bit more offensive power.

1524797214384.png

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Landorus is here to mount offensive pressure and get off intimidate. Earthquake, Rock Slide and U-Turn are givens. Knock Off is there primarily to remove items (primarily on switch ins). I gave him an Assault Vest to increase his lifespan and an Adamant nature to focus on dealing damage and figure that Tailwind can make up for the speed loss (I am also open to Choice Scarf).

1524799783945.png

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stomping Tantrum
- Ice Punch
- Protect
MegaGross is an absolute powerhouse and I rely on him to stop Landorus-T and punch holes in the opponent's team. Adding Protect was a massive boon for my team, and I have decided to swap out Zen Headbutt for Stomping Tantrum. Zen Headbutt is a solid stab, but the Stomping Tantrum offers better coverage and allows MegaGross to threaten common Pokemon who would otherwise wall it (such as Heatran and Incineroar). No current complaints so far.

1524797152728.png

Clamentine (Tapu Fini) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 140 SpA / 28 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Protect

Fini is here to soak up hits and retaliate (and hopefully lower accuracy). Switching out Ice Beam for Muddy Water was a great idea and I have not looked back since. Moonblast and Protect are both necessary and self-explanatory. I have experimented with both Calm Mind and Taunt as the final move. I like being able to shut down trick room and stop set up (such as Belly Drum Snorlax), but I think Fini just needs the offensive and defensive boosts from Calm Mind.

1524797223610.png

Paperboy (Kartana) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Protect
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

I feel Kartana is the most expendable member of my team. I love his power, wallbreaking potential, and coverage, but I rarely actually select him for my battles. His frailty means that I cannon switch him in as freely as every other member of my team and he has a hard time dealing with extremely common Pokemon (like Mega Charizard Y, MegaGross and Zapdos) and can still be victimized by Incineroar, Scarf Lele, and Landorus-T. His ability to handle Amoonguss, Politoed, Mega Swampert, other Kartana, and Tapu Fini are great, but I am not sure if his position could be improved by a different creature (such as Tapu Bulu) or a change in his moveset.

Conclusion:

I feel like my team is in a much better place than it was earlier this month and am going ahead with my plan to compete in the Toronto Regionals. I feel like I have a shot at doing well, but I am aware that my team likely needs a bit of help. I am satisfied with the first 5 slots, but I am still figuring out if another strong, but more durable attacker, like Tapu Bulu would be better for my team than Kartana (or if I should attempt to find a creature that could fill a different niche). I hope I have given you enough to work with. Thank you for any help you can give.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)