SM UU Mega Alatria Off ( Peak ~1600)

THE TEAM

Last week, i've decided to try this tier for the first team of my life ( It's one of the reason why my GXE is so low too )
So to perform, i choose to build a team around the core Mega Altaria + Scizor.
After many games, I peak 1606 on ladder but I'm not very satisfacted, I think they have probably some change to make it better.

IN DEEP

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

Azelf "suicide" lead is amazing in HO/BO.
Fire blast is usefull against steel like scizor who went on azlef to take explosion.
Dazzling Gleam is usefull to make some dammage on dark type like hydrageon/Krookodile.
DZ+FB had better coverage than explosion + knock off tbh.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

What about this monster ? In many games, he is the win condition.
Great coverage with the rest of the team, he can check electrick type, dark type, fire type very well.
When the opposing steel's are KO, you can free DD and, a lot of time, clean the game.

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane

- Fire Blast
- Roost
- U-Turn

I choose Moltres for is good coverage offensive and defensive.
First of all, the team is very week of Scizor and Moltres is an amazing counter and he can burn steel menace with Flame Body.
On the offensive side, Z-Hurricane make huges damages on physical wall like hippodown, Alomomola etc...
The coverage of Hurricane + Fire Blast is very good in UU and they haven't many pokemon who can switch safe on him.
At this moment, I'hesitate to use defog on U-turn to allow more easily to remove the opp Stealth Rock.

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 48 Def / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Scizor is the second pokemon on my core and the best pokemon on this tiers.
My second win-condition, that depend of match up.
I opted for this version rather than choice band, because with this set, he is more dangerous.
He can easily set up on pokemon like gligar for exemple who switch on scizor to take the u-turn.
Iron plate is here to make more damages with BP and to lure the band too.
An absolutly monster.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature

- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

With Moltres weakness on rocks, I need a spinner.
Starmie is perfect because he is more faster than Gengar ( so he can't prevent Starmie to spin ) and do huge damages to other ghosts type ( Jellicent 252HP 224DEF take 32.9 - 38.6% on psyshock and 42.5 - 50.2% if he switch in Starmie ).
He is a very strong wallbreaker.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

The last pokemon on the team. I need a scarf and ground type. So he was perfect.
This electrical immunity allow it to deal with pokemon like Mega Manectric who is a huge threat.
He can trap Tias, Starmie, Gengar which are pokemon that can RK Altaria.

TO IMPORTE :

https://pokepast.es/e24508bf44de7505

REPLAY :

With CB Zor :

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-904976795
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-905099632
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-905025253

With SD Zor :
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-905824461
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-909113709
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-909124469 +1600.

Thanks to people who for read this and don"t hesitate if you had idea to make my team better :)
( And also sorry for spelling mistakes isn"t my natural language ^^ )

Hey Huntklm this is a really cool team you have around Malt + Scizor and is a type of build I would probably use myself. As far as your team building composition goes it is pretty good, however there are a few things that I think should be addressed. Moltres is very threatening to this team especially because you lack a flying resist. You built this around Malt + Scizor, both of which are walled by this Pokemon so it gets way too many oppurtunities to come in and claim something in the process. You can see a pretty good example of this in the last replay you provide, where you do the exact thing to your opponent. This team also doesn't have a very good stall match-up which makes the match-up way too difficult. These are the main things that I think need to be addressed to help improve this team.

Major Changes:

>
: So Azelf really doesn't fit or all that necessary on this type of build. The team isn't in need of a suicide lead, as it doesn't have all the HO qualities in order to be that effective. I'd recommend using Cobalion here instead as it gives you another check to Scizor and Bisharp while still being able to set rocks. The core of Malt + Scizor also appreciates it breaking through the steel types in the tier. It has Steel-Z because this team appreciates having something to lure in Amoonguss and Prima.

>
: Rotom-H still allows you to maintain an answer to Scizor and Mega-Altaria, but it also gives you the flying resist you have been needing to help combat Moltres. This acts as your new form of hazard removal with Defog, which is a bit more reliable of hazard removal than spinning. And with no longer having a suicide lead you don't have to worry about removing your own hazards and not being able to set them again.

>
: So I am replacing Starmie for a Mon with the same typing, but thanks to Slowbros additional bulk it is a much more consistent answer to Cobalion. It also greatly eases your Terrakion and Maero matchup giving you something that can actually switch into them. You no longer needed the rapid spin support so there wasn't much reason to keep it either. I suggest using a BlockBro set to ease your stall matchup and open up some doors for Scizor and Malt to sweep.

Minor Changes:

(Move + EV Change): I recommend using Facade here as it helps ease your matchup against Suicune and it also helps with stall too. I also recommend a slightly bulkier spread which allows you to eat 2 Earthquakes from Krookodile. This is one of your primary switch-ins to this Pokemon as Slowbro doesn't appreciate hard switching in and potentially losing its item especially with relying on Rest as recovery.

(Move Change): I recommend using U-turn it lets you get into favourable positions vs Pokemon like Tentacruel, Rotom-H, steel types etc. for your Pokemon to break them. It also forms a nice Voltturn core with Rotom-H.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
I hope you like these changes and give them a try. This should make the team more effective for supporting Malt and Scizor cleaning up in the late game especially with Moltres being an easier match-up for you to break through. As far as threats to this team go you have to play carefully around Primarina as it can very easily claim something eachtime, but Scizor + Coba can pressure it a lot with help of Rotom-H. If you have any questions feel free to ask ^_^

Last edited:
Hi, interesting team. 1600's isn't too bad for JUST learning the tier, so congratz on that, I guess. Anyways, there are a few exploitable issues on this team, which will hopefully be patched with the changes I suggest. So, that being said, let's get into the rate! Edit: Twilight I was in the middle of writing mine when you posted :I

<=> Major Changes <=>

-->

Alright, so the first change I'm going to opt for here is for Azelf to be replaced with Latias. While sharing the psychic typing, they do way different things here. Azelf didn't really make sense to me here, as you said it's a suicide lead, which would only feature on Hyper Offensive builds. Azelf also offers little to no defensive utility, which doesn't really benefit the team as a whole. Latias gives you a nice breaker, as well as a way to annoy stall builds with CM+Z Draco hitting really hard, even vs some steel types, like Mega Steelix, and just decimating common unaware users like Quagsire. Latias also provides defensive utility to the team via it's ability, solid bulk, as well as good typing and access to reliable recovery. Latias can check things like Nasty Plot Infernape, Celebi (watch out for boosted Dazzling Gleam though), and Rotom Heat.

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Calm Mind allows Latias to boost it's Special Attack and Special Defense by 1 stage, allowing it to effectively break teams down for Mega Altaria. Draco Meteor is one of Latias' STAB attacks, which when powered up with Dragonium Z, becomes a base 195 nuke that hurts anything not immune to it when boosted. Psyshock allows Latias to hit psychic weak things, such as Infernape or Amoongus, while also circumventing special walls like Blissey by hitting their poor physical defenses. Finally, Roost allows Latias to stay healthy throughout the match, allowing it to consistently check what it needs to.

-->

With Latias now holding the Z Crystal, I then turned to Moltres. The team lacked a flying resist, which is basically essential on bulkier and offensive teams alike, except for Hyper Offense. That being said, I opted for Rotom Heat. Rotom Heat still checks Scizor to an extent, removes hazards with Defog, and provides Volt Switch support, which is always nice for offensive builds like this. Rotom Heat still has the desired Ground immunity, due to levitate, and alongside it's great typing, can check key threats like Mamoswine, the after-mentioned Scizor, as well as things like Mega Altaria and Togekiss, for the team. The only thing to note here is to make sure that you don't switch your Rotom Heat hard into a Knock Off from either Scizor or Mamoswine, as that will cripple Rotom and make it very hard for it to do it's job.

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

A Wiki Berry allows Rotom to come in on Stealth Rocks, take a strong attack, and then recover 50% of it's health if it reaches less than 25% health. Volt Switch allows you to pivot out while doing some chip damage on things like Latias, Moltres, etc. Overheat is Rotom's other STAB that melts things like Scizor and Celebi. Defog clears hazards from the field as a whole, allows the team to not get worn down so fast, overall increasing the longevity of the team as a whole. Finally, Toxic allows Rotom Heat to pressure things it can't really hit with it's STABs or just gets pressured itself by, such as Hydreigon, Mega Altaria, or Swampert.

-->

While Starmie was nice for providing hazard control, as well as somewhat checking Infernape, other members on the team such as Latias and Rotom Heat do those roles for the team now. The team was also insanely weak to Primarina, as well as lacking a Stealth Rocker now that Azelf was replaced. Empoleon patches these holes quite nicely, as well as can come in on Scizor's Bullet Punch and threaten it with a potential Scald burn, and can also phase out SD variants with Roar. Empoleon also checks Latias, Mega Altaria not carrying Earthquake, as well as the after-mentioned Primarina. Empoleon is the new Stealth Rocker on the team, as well as helping Rotom Heat check Scizor. However, it should be noted that Empoleon is ALSO crippled by Knock Off, so be careful before brainlessly switching Empoleon into Scizor, as well as the potential Superpower on SD and Banded sets.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roar

Stealth Rocks are an essential entry hazard on every successful team, as they provide crucial chip damage on so much, which is too much to pass up. Scald lets Empoleon not struggle if it's taunted, as well as dish out potential burns on things. Toxic pressures things like Latias and Mega Altaria, as well as can nail things like Swampert on the switch. Finally, Roar lets Empoleon phase set-up sweepers out, as well as rack up more Stealth Rock damage on things, such as Togekiss or Moltres.

<=> Minor Changes <=>

- Earthquake --> Refresh

This is, as the section title says, a minor change. While not having Earthquake leaves you kinda walled by steel types, you have teammates such as Krookidile and Latias to either KO or dent enough for Altaria to finish up. Refresh improves the stall matchup, letting you set up in the face of toxic-reliant pokemon such as Blissey, as well as heal yourself if you manage to set up on a Scald user and get burnt.

- Set Change: Offensive SD --> Choice Band

The team as a whole is kinda annoyed by steel types, specifically things like the uncommon Bronzong, Cobalion holding a Shuca berry, and Empoleon. Choice Band Scizor's Superpower helping to break down Steel types, such as Aggron, or Cobalion, as well as Scizor's Bullet Punch being able to hit harder, picking off threats like Mega Aerodactyl indefinitely. Pursuit also lets Scizor trap things like Latias.

<=> Conclusion+Importable <=>

That should be all, but let me know if I missed anything. Click the sprites below for the importable, and I hope you enjoy the changes! Auf Weidersehen und Veil Glück!

So, after a few games with the 2 version i'm back ^^

So many lose ... ( I'was peak 1626 and now 1300-1400 ... )

If i think I've do mistakes, the principal problem is the offensive coverage for the both version.

First of all, Altaria without earthquake is the principal problem. All the team with Klefki + U-Turn pokemon destroy me. I can't deal with it, they are just rotom or empoleon who can take fary move. Scizor is band so isn't also dangerouse like the SD version.

Latias with DM+Psyshock haven't a good coverage for my team. Steel's are a big problem, and this tias is totaly wall by them :/

(Empoleon without protect is a problem too).

For the version avec Twilight it's same, maybe i do mistakes but if on paper the team have more defensive coverage, the offensive coverage is crap.

Because yeah, on the paper the coverage is good, but in games it's the same story :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)