Other Metagames Megamons (Peaked #1, 57-10 stall)

manu 11

When someone asks me if i am indian because of my name
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Yo, manu 11 here, i am here to share a team of the other metagame Megamons, which i find to be quite interesting and deserves more recognition in my opinion.

Just to explain this metagame for people who don't know it, Megamons is an ubers based tier that allows you to use pokemon in their respective mega forms without the need to mega-evolve during the battle nor the need to have the stone. So basically you can have Life Orb Lucario-Mega, Leftovers Slowbro-Mega or Choice Band Salamence-Mega.

This is the second team i made for this other metagame of the month. The first one was very good too but i feel it has more weaknesses and can just straight up lose to some very common sets if you don't control the flow of the game thus being harder to use.

First on ladder, third best gxe, first best being my other team. 57-10 record as of now. I was 20-6 or something like that with the first version of the team. Most defeats are due to a lot of hax unfortunately, i guess stall just begs for it.

I started with Giratina. I chose Giratina due to its great bulk and its typing which makes it a check to a lot of offensive threats of Megamons such as Lucario-Mega, Mewtwo-Mega-X, Scizor-Mega and even Salamence-Mega if it doesn't run Refresh.

Then i added Arceus-Fighting. I knew from my previous team that Arceus-Fairy was great and wanted to use something different. Fighting seemed like a good type as it did neutral to Groudon-Primal, OHKO'd Lucario-Mega and could Toxic psychic types who switched into it.

Ho-Oh was the next addition. I knew from the previous gen that defensive Ho-oh was great as it stops Lucario-Mega without rock move, be it special of physical, can tank +1 Return from Salamence-Mega and can tank on the special side too, mainly Alakazam-Mega and Yveltal.

I noticed my team needed a real Salamence-Mega counter. As of now i had 2 pokemon that could annoy it but none that could actually stop it. I choose Tyranitar-Mega over Slowbro-Mega as Tyranitar-Mega also offered Stealth Rock and could come in on Choice Band Salamence-Mega Double-Edge.

Next I needed something to get rid of status and also check special attackers such as Xerneas which is still as deadly as it is in ubers. Chansey seemed like an obvious choice.

Finally i realized that except Stealth Rock/status i couldn't damage my opponent a lot so i decided to add a pokemon that could set up while having nice defensive stats, namely Scizor-Mega.

After a few battles, i noticed that Arceus-Fighting wasn't as good as i hoped it would be. Groudon-Primal was indeed not a problem for my team but Diancie-Mega pressured me a lot while Sableye-Mega could just annoy the whole team. I decided to change it for Arceus-Fairy which i knew was great in Megamons.

Now the team itself.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Giratina max HP/defense as its main purpose it to check physically offensive pokemon. This might seem weird since i have Will-O-Wisp but it actually allows it to switch in against Life orb Meteor Mash from Lucario-mega in case rocks are on the field so Ho-oh can't switch. Giratina also serves as the primary Primal-Groudon check. Hex gives it a powerful Stab move as 4 of my pokemon have status moves, 5 if you count Sacred Fire which basically is one. You could replace it for Shadow Ball to do more damage on Diancie-Mega which often switches on Giratina but Hex has proven to be more helpful.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog
- Toxic

Arceus-Fairy has a weird spread at first glance but it has a purpose. Max HP for longevity and 216 of speed to give my team some speed control and mainly outspeed a few threats of Megamons. With those investments you reach 363 of speed. Basically you outspeed Lucario-Mega, Latias-Mega , Latios-Mega and Houdoom-Mega. While Latias-Mega and Latios-Mega aren't that much of a problem, Lucario-Mega and Houndoom-Mega can set up easily and destroy the team if my usual check is dead. The other purpose of this speed investment is outspeeding Diancie-Mega and thus prevent Stealth Rock in a way as you attack them when they set rocks and defog the turn after. Toxic over Will-O-Wisp to annoy Groudon-Primal and help Giratina with Hex. It is pretty useless against steel types but those are pretty bad against this team so it actually doesn't hurt at all.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Toxic
- Recover
- Brave Bird

This thing is so annoying to kill. Once again max HP/defense. 8 of speed to outspeed other Ho-Oh and pokemon with a base 90 of speed. Serves as the main support Arceus, Scizor-Mega and special Lucario-Mega counter. Sacred Fire is the obvious Stab move and also the only move to status Sableye-Mega which can be a real pain. Toxic for everything that resists Sacred Fire. Recover over Roost to avoid Ground moves but Roost can used to weaken Stone Edge/Rock Slide. As of now, Recover has been better as people with rock moves will just outspeed you anyway (Diancie-Mega, Lucario-Mega, Mewtwo-Mega-X, Groudon-Primal). Finally, Brave Bird for damage and also the 24 PP which allow you to usually PP stall opponent's recovery move.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt

The Salamence-Mega counter and Stealth Rock setter. EV investment have no real logic actually so they could probably be optimised. I just needed HP/defense to counter Salamence-Mega and also some special defense ev to potentially be able to poison Calm Mind Arceus sets (mainly electric and water as they can beat Ho-Oh). Foul Play to punish pokemon who set up. Finally, i went with Taunt. I tried both Counter and Crunch but i realized Refresh or Iron Defense Salamence-Mega could still beat it. Taunt allows me to stop it from setting up and using recovery. You could go for Ice Beam but Taunt also helps against other stall teams.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

This is just classic Chansey. Not much to say here to be honest. Protect helps for PP wasting and status stalling but can also be risky in case the opponent just switchs on its offense. I have Soft-Boiled over Wish for the reason stated above concerning protect. People will just see it coming and switch to their Lucario-Mega and get a free turn.

Scizor-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

The « stallbreaker » of the team while also providing priority to check Xerneas and other weakened pokemon such as Focus Sash Diancie-mega or Flail Pinsir-Mega. Knock Off is great in Megamons. Removing just a Leftovers can be huge on the long run. People also tend to only have Groudon-Primal or Ho-Oh to check Scizor-Mega and once you get rid of those you can easily clean. Once again, ev investment could be optimised but as of now they work well.

Kyogre-Primal : This thing is so annoying due to an incredible special attack and also Liquidation. Try to Toxic it as fast as you can even if it means sacking Arceus-Fairy. Rest/Sleep Talk Kyogre-Primal is basically gg. You will probably need to get rid of everything else and then PP stall it with Chansey/Giratina. If it doesn't have Sleep Talk, Ho-Oh Brave Bird can work as you can potentially hit 3 Brave Bird before it waking up. I actually have not seen any Rest Kyogre-Primal in more than 200 games but this is the thing that just wins.

Groudon-Primal : Less threatening than Kyogre-Primal but still annoying. Once you get a Toxic, Giratina beats it easily if no Swords Dance and even then you can play around it by switching.

Lucario-Mega : The special version with Nasty Plot can be annoying as Ho-Oh is the only real check and half of my team basically can't damage it. A Nasty Plot/Flash Cannon/Aura Sphere/Rock Slide set could basically 6-0. This is where Arceus-Fairy is so important as it can bring it under 30% with Judgment.

Salamence-Mega : Refresh set can be problematic but it isn't used much. Ice Beam over Taunt on Tyranitar-Mega solves this problem easily.

Gengar-Mega : Well trapping is always annoying for stall. Luckily you can't use it directly so your opponent needs to mega-evolve. Tyranitar-Mega serves as the primary counter to it. Even though i don't have Pursuit, the opponent doesn't know it and they usually play pretty safe with it. The real risk is getting Arceus-Fairy or Chansey trapped. The rest of the team can deal with it.

Tyranitar-Mega : Choice Band deals insane damage. There is no real counter actually as even Aggron-Mega takes more than 40% with Low Kick so i figured i would put it here. The team itself is pretty weak to Stone Edge/Crunch combination. Giratina takes 70% on Crunch so you can go for Will-O-Wisp if you are at full HP.

Trick room : Especially Mawile-Mega Life Orb with the right coverage. Shout out to that guy who destroyed me with Thunderpunch Mawile-Mega.

VoltTurn teams : The biggest problem of not using Groudon-Primal. The combination of Manectric-Mega and Beedrill-Mega can be very annoying.

Potential Changes :

Arceus-Ground over Arceus-Fairy : It would give me an easier time against Groudon-Primal. It would OHKO Lucario-Mega. I could actually play a lot safer with Defog even when facing a Gengar-Mega. It would help against Tyranitar-Mega Choice Band too. To be honest i should probably make this change. The only negative thing that prevents me from doing it is that i would need Ice Beam and Judgment which would force me to remove Toxic as I need Defog somewhere. Another problem would be Focus Sash Endeavor Diancie-Mega. It would be a lot more annoying as it could potentially put me at 1HP whereas now i usually have 30-40% of life left due to Judgment not being super-effective.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog
- Toxic

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Toxic
- Recover
- Brave Bird

Tyranitar-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Scizor-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

With Arceus-Fighting
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-873104952 vs stall
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-873112447 vs offense
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-873127675 first loss, Kyogre-Primal, decided to change to Arceus-Fairy after

With Arceus-Fairy
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-873502813 vs stall, Scizor-Mega winning
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-874487750 vs previous first on ladder
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-877513557 loss.... Crit on Chansey, i get mad and play terrible from then on, even with the crit i could have won so it's on me i guess
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-877537479 vs stall, once again Scizor-Mega, though he let me get 3 Swords Dance
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-877538852 vs very good om player, i control the game early but his Refresh Salamence-Mega is so annoying that i feel very pressured. In the end i would say he had a 60% chance of winning vs a 40% for me but he decides to forfeit. Lots of mistakes on my part as Tyranitar-Mega could have set rocks each time he sent Salamence-Mega after his Arceus died.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-877543997 vs Gengar-Mega

Thanks for reading, I hope this will give some people the desire to try out this awesome other metagame and don't worry offense is used a lot more than stall :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)