Other Metagames Mix and Mega - Dim All The Lights

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Introduction
Hey guys, I'm coming in with my second Mix and Mega RMT with a team I made about a month ago for my OMPL team. I really liked how this team turned out, being one of the most solid balances I've used in a long time. The song is one of my most recent favorites and I feel like Lunala fits the name well.

Building Process
- I had known that I wanted to start with Blissey, as it is a super solid pick in the more balance-oriented metagame of the time and was able to wall a solid majority of popular metagame threats. I paired it with Defog Z Lunala as the two form a very solid defensive core that deals with hazards well.
- Next up I went with Diancite Terrakion, as it is a solid speed control option and Stealth Rocker that can abuse Lunala's common switchins such as Mandibuzz and Blissey very well.
- I felt weak to some physical threats such as Altarianite Zygarde and Kartana at this point, so I added the standard Manectite Magearna to the team to help deal with those threats. Magearna also provides solid pivoting in the form of Volt Switch that allows the team to maintain momentum effectively.
- Next up I added Altarianite Zygarde, a potent physical attacker and speed control option with Extreme Speed. Zygarde helps improve a lot of difficult matchups such as against Webs and further help offensively check a lot of top threats as well.
- I decided to finish the team off with Calm Mind Arceus-Water, which is able to patch up smaller holes the team faces such as Entei and Ho-Oh or Kyogre-Primal. It's also able to help check Zygarde, which sets like Lucarionite would otherwise be fairly threatening to the team, Groudon-Primal, and is a soft check to Terrakion.

In-Depth

Blissey @ Sablenite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psywave
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
Ah yes, the infamous Sablenite Blissey. Blissey is famous for being one of the most annoying walls in the metagame, and it's actually becoming very potent in the metagame again. Psywave and Healer are used over Seismic Toss in order to properly check Lunala, one of the most threatening sets in the metagame. Toxic also helps in checking Lunala, and allows Blissey to be a solid CM Arceus check and wear down many metagame threats. Heal Bell is very solid team support, as nothing on the team appreciates being statused at all, and allows Blissey to be slightly more aggressive with its Toxics, as if its Toxic gets bounced, it can still cure itself of poisoning.

Lunala @ Lunalium Z
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 16 HP / 84 Def / 208 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog
Lunala is a very solid special attacker in the metagame, and I opted for its Defog set, which doesn't see as much usage in the current metagame. Moongeist Beam is the only attacking move Lunala carries, with its Z move making it able to nab 1HKOs on offensive threats like Groudon-Primal and Terrakion. Toxic allows Lunala to threaten Mandibuzz premega switchins as well as many other threats. Roost provides solid recovery and allows Lunala to maintain Shadow Shield effectively, and Defog lets Lunala keep hazards that threaten it off the field. The EVs are very specific to the Mix and Mega metagame, with 200 Speed and Timid allowing Lunala to outpace max speed base 90s such as Groudon-Primal. The Special Attack investment allows Lunala to guarunteed 1HKO Rock Polish Groudon-Primal sets. The rest of the EVs are a dump that allow for Lunala to tank threats better, with 16 HP giving the best roll against Stealth Rocks.

Terrakion @ Diancite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
Diancite Terrakion is a very solid speed control option, outpacing almost the entire metagame outside of fringe Diancite users such as Darkrai and Tapu Koko. Rock/Fighting coverage is near unresisted and with base 189 Attack and Swords Dance, there are very few Pokemon that can take Terrakion's attacks. It pairs perfectly with Lunala as well, as they cover almost all of each others checks. Terrakion is able to pressure teams very well when it can get in, so if at all possible avoid mega evolving until necessary to increase the number of switchins Terrakion can make.

Zygarde @ Altarianite
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Thousand Arrows
Dragon Dance Altarianite Zygarde is one of the strongest metagame threats, with STAB Pixilate Extreme Speed and perfect coverage thanks to Thousand Arrows. This is the standard bulky Dragon Dance set, with enough Speed EVs to outpace Lucarionite Tapu Lele at +1 Speed. With these EVs, Zygarde is able to avoid a 2HKO from defensive Arceus' Ice Beam. Return is a solid STAB move for Zygarde that gives it a more effective way of breaking slower threats. Extreme Speed lets it revenge many offensive threats, including Terrakion, Zeraora, Kyogre-Primal, and Xurkitree.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
Arceus-Water is one of the lesser used Arceus formes in the metagame, but it's still very potent. It provides a solid check to metagame threats that often go overlooked when teambuilding, such as Pinsirite Entei and Choice Band Ho-Oh. 16 Speed allows for Arceus-Water to outpace neutral natured base 90s, and the rest of the EVs are put into HP and Defense in order to more solidly check metagame threats like Zygarde and Terrakion. Calm Mind is a great choice for this team, as it not only provides the team with a bulkier setup option that can break a good amount of balance teams, it allows Arceus-Water to check Kyogre-Primal effectively, as Kyogre-Primal opts to not run electric coverage in Mix and Mega.

Magearna @ Manectite
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Pain Split
Manectite Magearna finishes off the team with its ability to check a lot of Pokemon the team would otherwise struggle with such as Kartana, Pinsirite Magearna or opposing Altarianite Zygarde. Manectite is a solid defensive stone for Magearna, as Intimidate lets it blanket check the majority of physical attackers in the metagame. Hidden Power Fire is used so that Magearna can secure the 1HKO on Metagrossite Kartana, a very potent threat in the metagame. The rest of the set is pretty self explanatory, with Fleur Cannon for STAB, Volt Switch as a solid momentum grabber, and Pain Split for recovery.

Threats
While not super threatening to the team by itself, this team lacks a ground type, and allows Magearna to gain momentum fairly easily with Volt Switch. Using Blissey as the wall to it can be very dangerous as it can Pain Split at any time and regain its HP. It's best to try and wear it down with Lunala or Arceus-Water, as Magearna still can't really do a ton to them either.

A well played Toxapex can be very threatening to the team, whether its Latiasite or Gyaradosite. I feel that Gyaradosite is slightly more threatening to the team, as Latiasite is typically hard walled by Blissey.

Webs can be a difficult matchup as Shuckle can get Rocks and Webs up very reliably against the team, opening up more opportunities for strong breakers to put in work against the team.

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7mixandmega-936615237 Andyb0y vs SectoniaServant OMPL Week 1
(will add more replays later as they become available to me)

Shoutouts
Andyboy best teammate ever, glad I got to team with you finally. Thanks for some good times and for absolutely killing it and ty for telling me to make this RMT.
xavgb vote stresh for best om player 2018.. "oh fuck it's 2019"
Chloe :D ily chloe ur da best TL ever
The Immortal best friends forever... except when we test with each other ;)
@ the rest of om peeps yall cool except for a few of yall
TheCoastsOfToast dibs Brandon Clouds vivalospride the sexiest bitches on this game PERIODT

Blissey @ Sablenite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psywave
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Lunala @ Lunalium Z
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 16 HP / 84 Def / 208 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Terrakion @ Diancite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Zygarde @ Altarianite
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Thousand Arrows

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Magearna @ Manectite
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Pain Split

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)