VGC My first VGC 2018

Hi Everyone, I have been playing with this team on and off for a few months and need some advice on how to improve the team a bit. I often set up the same four each time I play and I win 50% of the time. The first four are my usual choices. The final two I feel I under utilize. I will attached a few replays below so it is easier to understand how I try to run this team. Thank you for the help!

Excadrill @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect
I picked Excadrill because it helps cover Mantine's weakness to electric types and pairs well with Tyranitar's Sand Stream. I believe having earthquake, iron head, and rock slide helps keep Excadrill reliable against different threats.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Icy Wind
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Scald
Mantine was what I originally built this team around. It has great bulk and can switch in to everything save for rock and electric moves. I generally lead Mantine with either Tyranitar(If I see a lack of intimidate users or a strong electric type) or Metagross(If I see more than one intimidate user or two Tapus). It primarily sets up Tailwind and chip away with icy wind and scald.

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
With Sandstorm activated Tyranitar can usually withstand one super effective hit and set up dragon dance and weakness policy. If Mantine is able to get off a tailwind, I have a strong sweeper turn 2 of the game. It also pairs well with Excadrill.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
Metagross is my other lead beside Tyranitar. Generally I will mega-evolve first turn and protect if there is an immediate threat while Mantine sets up tailwind. Hits hard especially against Tapus and Landorus.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
Hydreigon was added so I had a strong special sweeper that could pair well with the physical sweepers and to help against teams that have multiple intimidate users.

Noivern @ Focus Sash
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 244 HP / 140 SpA / 126 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Whirlwind
- Super Fang
- Protect

I added Noivern recently to be a speedy special attack threat without the need to set up tailwind or sandstorm. I like the user of super fang to chip away at bulky threats and utilizing boomburst for heavy damage.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-760005274

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-761999897

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-762001979

I feel as though some changes should be made. First off, I think that Noivern should be replaced with Kartana in order to have that good coverage. I'd run the focus sash variety and make it a Tailwind user. The reason for this is that Mantine's role can be filled by Milotic who is far bulkier and can fulfill the same role with the potential to be a major offensive threat if an Intimidate user should rear it's ugly head. A choice of Leftovers or Adrenaline orb is really up to you. It really depends on what you want to have out at any given point, but that's what I would have done. I'd also contemplate running a Gastrodon or Raichu to redirect Water and Electric attacks while maintaining good coverage

Hi Everyone, I have been playing with this team on and off for a few months and need some advice on how to improve the team a bit. I often set up the same four each time I play and I win 50% of the time. The first four are my usual choices. The final two I feel I under utilize. I will attached a few replays below so it is easier to understand how I try to run this team. Thank you for the help!
I'll add my own opinion too:

Excadrill: I would suggest running Jolly rather that Adamant since although it would have plenty of Speed in Sand, it may fail to outspeed many threats if the Sand expires or is replaced.

Tyranitar: I wouldn't suggest running Dragon Dance if you're not Mega. D-Dance is generally better since M-Tyranitar has more speed. Additionally, if you really wanted to run Dragon Dance, have 252 in your Speed since at base 61 and no EVs, you won't outspeed much, even with 2 Dragon Dances. Run a coverage move instead. That'll help you counter more opponents.

Mantine: I do like your idea with Mantine. However, beware that it can be KO'd easily be Electric moves. I see that you ran Excadrill to help with that but against an Electric-Type that is immune to Earthquake (e.g. Zapdos), you might have a bit of a problem. If you wanted a better Bulky Water, I could recommend Tapu Fini, Rotom-W or even Jellicent.

Metagross: I do like your Metagross, exactly how I'd run it. Be weary that your 3 Pokemon that aren't affected by Sandstorm are all weak to Ground. That can be a problem against Landorus-T.

Hydreigon: Generally, it would be better to run Kommo-o because of Clangorous Soulblaze. But running Hydreigon isn't a bad idea since it can help you counter a Perish Trap team featuring Mega Gengar and Gothitelle. Your moveset's good, I'll give you that.

Noivern: There's a couple of issues with your Noivern. First, running only 1 move that isn't STAB is a terrible idea. It may be Boomburst but that can also hit your ally and with no ally Ghost-Types, it can deal problems to your teammates. Draco Meteor will probably be a better move because of STAB and it won't hit your ally. Infiltrator on your current set isn't that useful when your only attacking move bypasses substitutes anyway.

For some possible team switches, running Zapdos over Noivern could help you deal wanted damage, you don't have a double Ice Weakness and yet you still have access to Tailwind and a Ground immunity so your Excadrill can use Earthquake. Maybe running Kommo-o over Hydreigon can help deal more damage but I can see that Hydreigon works with Excadrill so you could keep that if you wished. Might also recommend a different Mega over Metagross, maybe even upgrade Tyranitar to Mega Evolve but that's up to you.

Either way, pretty good so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)