Ubers National Dex Ubers Metagame Discussion

i actually need a bit of help with my team.
https://pokepast.es/a20c47616c4ebad3 (even the link is calling me bad)
now, before everyone tells me to remake my entire team, i am only taking advice on two things.
1. i cant decide whether to put stone edge or sunsteel strike on my necrozma. stone edge has the benifit of being stone edge. however, even with rocks up, photon geyser is not enough to kill xerneas even with a boost. while i could z-move it, or use my pocket murkrow for it, i dont want to give up a z-move or the mon for this. which should i chose.
2. xerneas has a decent chance of getting banned soon. if it does, i am kinda screwed. i know this xerneas seems bad, but it fuffils a highly specific niche. it is the only special attacker on my team, is an absolute special tank, able to take any unboosted special attack in the tier exept for max hp waterspout from primal kyogre, is immediately threatening with set up, and can heal itself while dealing damage, while also increasing its sp def so once it heals, the foe cant hit it again and kill it if it survives. this role is very important for this team, and i dont know if it can be replaced if xern is banned. can anyone give me a pokemon that can fufil this niche in case xern gets banned?

Tera Fighting :zacian-crowned: without Close Combat, which I would run on this set over Play Rough because most dragons in the tier don't want to eat a +1 Behemoth Blade from this thing anyways. I wouldn't run Substitute on :life-orb: :marshadow: because using Substitue in conjunction with Life Orb recoil means you have 0 longevity. I know :marshadow: is frail, but combine this with hazard damage and this thing will live for like 3 turns. I'd use Spectral Thief just for reliable Ghost STAB that doesn't miss.

The :Ho-oh: spread is questionable, and earthquake on :ho-oh: isn't that good either, because Sacred Fire chunks :groudon-primal: enough anyways (fire STAB + sun boost). I'm assuming this is an offensive :ho-oh: set though, so you could use this instead, which doesn't sacrifice the necessary special bulk :ho-oh: needs to fight against :xerneas::

Ho-Oh @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 52 SpD / 20 Spe
Tera Type: Fire
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire / Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Defog / Earthquake

Toxic on :kyurem-black: is pointless as it intends to sweep, not slowly break a team down like :ho-oh: or defensive :eternatus: would, so Scale Shot or Substitute or even Roost for longevity is better. And as a side note, :kyurem-black: doesn't really belong on this team, as it's a hyper-offense mon, so it belongs on teams with :grimmsnarl: (aka Dual Screens) to setup and sweep easier. Lastly, :necrozma-dusk-mane: has a better typing which lets you get more Calm Mind boosts before going Ultra, which :necrozma-dawn-wings: fails to do, with it's lack of resists and major weaknesses to Dark and Ghost. And I wouldn't run Protect either, as you'd want Power Gem to nuke :ho-oh: or Heat Wave to hit steel types like :necrozma-dusk-mane: and :ferrothorn: better.

https://pokepast.es/f27864b400e2951b
on this version i use eternatus for spikes and toxic while ho-oh has sacred and giga drain or should i just double up toxic on ho-oh and eternatus
Cancel cult
btw ur better than me so ill take your advice lol
Giga Drain on :ho-oh: isn't a good idea considering how you have a Sp. Atk lowering nature in Adamant, so you'll do less damage. Also the EV Spread isn't ideal. :urshifu-rapid-strike: is not viable in NDUbers. It's main purpose is spamming Surging Strikes, which is completely shut down by :groudon-primal:, and is generally worse than over pokemon like :marshadow: and :zacian-crowned:. As for :eternatus:, you'd probably want Flamethrower so you're not complete setup fodder against :zacian-crowned:, :necrozma-dusk-mane: and even :ferrothorn:. You could replace Toxic with it, and run Toxic on :ho-oh: instead.

Tera Fighting :zacian-crowned: without Close Combat, which I would run on this set over Play Rough because most dragons in the tier don't want to eat a +1 Behemoth Blade from this thing anyways. I wouldn't run Substitute on :life-orb: :marshadow: because using Substitue in conjunction with Life Orb recoil means you have 0 longevity. I know :marshadow: is frail, but combine this with hazard damage and this thing will live for like 3 turns. I'd use Spectral Thief just for reliable Ghost STAB that doesn't miss.

The :Ho-oh: spread is questionable, and earthquake on :ho-oh: isn't that good either, because Sacred Fire chunks :groudon-primal: enough anyways (fire STAB + sun boost). I'm assuming this is an offensive :ho-oh: set though, so you could use this instead, which doesn't sacrifice the necessary special bulk :ho-oh: needs to fight against :xerneas::

Ho-Oh @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 52 SpD / 20 Spe
Tera Type: Fire
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire / Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Defog / Earthquake

Toxic on :kyurem-black: is pointless as it intends to sweep, not slowly break a team down like :ho-oh: or defensive :eternatus: would, so Scale Shot or Substitute or even Roost for longevity is better. And as a side note, :kyurem-black: doesn't really belong on this team, as it's a hyper-offense mon, so it belongs on teams with :grimmsnarl: (aka Dual Screens) to setup and sweep easier. Lastly, :necrozma-dusk-mane: has a better typing which lets you get more Calm Mind boosts before going Ultra, which :necrozma-dawn-wings: fails to do, with it's lack of resists and major weaknesses to Dark and Ghost. And I wouldn't run Protect either, as you'd want Power Gem to nuke :ho-oh: or Heat Wave to hit steel types like :necrozma-dusk-mane: and :ferrothorn: better.

Giga Drain on :ho-oh: isn't a good idea considering how you have a Sp. Atk lowering nature in Adamant, so you'll do less damage. Also the EV Spread isn't ideal. :urshifu-rapid-strike: is not viable in NDUbers. It's main purpose is spamming Surging Strikes, which is completely shut down by :groudon-primal:, and is generally worse than over pokemon like :marshadow: and :zacian-crowned:. As for :eternatus:, you'd probably want Flamethrower so you're not complete setup fodder against :zacian-crowned:, :necrozma-dusk-mane: and even :ferrothorn:. You could replace Toxic with it, and run Toxic on :ho-oh: instead.
so is this better?
https://pokepast.es/4f47bdcd454a2a26
the clodsire just chilling ngl

so is this better?
https://pokepast.es/4f47bdcd454a2a26
the clodsire just chilling ngl
The :ho-oh: EV Spread isn't optimised. You need the 52 Sp. Def for living +2 :xerneas:'s Thunder. And you need 20 speed to outspeed Max Speed Jolly :calyrex-ice: (who can 2HKO you with Glacial Lance).

:marshadium-z: and :ultranecrozium-z: can't be activated at the same time. You have to decide between one or the other, and you'd be much better off using :life-orb: instead, tera Ghost makes up for any power :marshadow: needs regardless. Also, Endeavour and Drain Punch work against each other, as if you heal HP with Drain Punch, then Endeavor deals less damage. Besides, both of these options are weak and inconsistent (just use Shadow Sneak or Poltergeist or Rock Tomb instead).

Similar to how :kyurem-black: only belongs on :grimmsnarl: hyper-offense teams, :zekrom: only belongs on :shuckle: Sticky Web teams, along with the fact it runs :dragonium-z: instead of :leftovers: to nuke the Ground types better. :clodsire: also doesn't work on this team, as its a stall mon (with other bulky walls like :dondozo:, :chansey:, and :giratina:). It's too passive and invites in too many threats like :arceus-ground:.

I would replace Clodsire with :arceus-dark: as it can soft-check many pokemon like :yveltal: and Dragon Dance :arceus-ground:. It also hard-checks :necrozma-ultra: and :mewtwo-mega-y:, who could blow through this team pretty easily. I'd replace :zekrom: with :zygarde:, who helps wall pokemon like :groudon-primal: and :ho-oh:, and its an excellent terastalization user, with tera water and tera fairy.

RudeLiees

formerly Xr Kartana
IMG_0541.gif

Today I would talk about a Pokémon that is unhealthy in the current meta, xerneas.​
With Fairy Aura and Geomancy boosting its already strong Moonblast, Xerneas can become one of the most dangerous offensive sweeper in NDUbers. It’s coverage and utility options to prevent certain checks from beating it are all very great, giving it both versatility and effectiveness in all of its moveslots. Xerneas has fairly high natural bulk with a good typing, letting it also potentially wall many dangerous wallbreakers such as, Zygarde complete, and Marshadow,. Most of Xerneas's power is from Geomancy, though, meaning that if it is phazed or otherwise forced out, its effectiveness offensively is severely hurt, and defensive sets without it struggle to break through most walls in general.
Power Herb Xerneas is a fucking dangerous sweeper, with his SPA and his moonblast boosted by his ability to sweep teams after a Geomancy. Thunder is useful coverage for, most importantly for Ho-Oh and Necrozma-Dusk mane. Substitute, Ingrain, and Aromatherapy are all very good support moves to complement the rest of its moveset. Substitute can blocks potentially deadly status and lets Xerneas take any hit that could normally KO it, Ingrain prevents and gives slight passive recovery which can be crucial in the Ho-Oh matchup because he will not be affected by whirlwind, and Aromatherapy clears status for Xerneas and its teammate, which is always beneficial with those being very common on Pokemon such as eternatus and Necrozma- dusk mane as a check

calc :
252 SpA Tera Fighting Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 184-217 (51.9 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tera Fighting Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 252-296 (35.8 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
This is unboosted damage on their « check »

+2 252 SpA Xerneas Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Arceus-Poison: 246-290 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (one of his best check)
+2 252 SpA Xerneas Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Arceus-Poison: 246-290 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Im too bored to do more calc, but none of his check survive correctly to xearnas after boosts

in conclusion : ban xerneas

potentially wall many dangerous wallbreakers such as, Zygarde complete, and Marshadow,.
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Poltergeist vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 200-238 (50.8 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Marshadow Poltergeist vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 231-273 (58.7 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 189-223 (48 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
I don't think :xerneas: can comfortably wall :marshadow:.

RudeLiees

formerly Xr Kartana
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Poltergeist vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 200-238 (50.8 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Marshadow Poltergeist vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 231-273 (58.7 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 189-223 (48 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
I don't think :xerneas: can comfortably wall :marshadow:.
Ok, but what come on a boosted xerneas without being 2ohkoed? I don’t think you’ll switch your Marshadow into xerneas, except if it’s sash

edit : it was from the survey :
Average: 3.9 and 3.72. It is evident that the majority of the player base considers Xerneas to be unhealthy. Xerneas exemplifies a deadly interaction between a powerful move (Geomancy) and the Terastallization mechanics. Therefore, tiering action will be considered.

bumboclaat

Primal Groudon used Overheat
is a Pre-Contributor
View attachment 600744
Today I would talk about a Pokémon that is unhealthy in the current meta, xerneas.​
With Fairy Aura and Geomancy boosting its already strong Moonblast, Xerneas can become one of the most dangerous offensive sweeper in NDUbers. It’s coverage and utility options to prevent certain checks from beating it are all very great, giving it both versatility and effectiveness in all of its moveslots. Xerneas has fairly high natural bulk with a good typing, letting it also potentially wall many dangerous wallbreakers such as, Zygarde complete, and Marshadow,. Most of Xerneas's power is from Geomancy, though, meaning that if it is phazed or otherwise forced out, its effectiveness offensively is severely hurt, and defensive sets without it struggle to break through most walls in general.
Power Herb Xerneas is a fucking dangerous sweeper, with his SPA and his moonblast boosted by his ability to sweep teams after a Geomancy. Thunder is useful coverage for, most importantly for Ho-Oh and Necrozma-Dusk mane. Substitute, Ingrain, and Aromatherapy are all very good support moves to complement the rest of its moveset. Substitute can blocks potentially deadly status and lets Xerneas take any hit that could normally KO it, Ingrain prevents and gives slight passive recovery which can be crucial in the Ho-Oh matchup because he will not be affected by whirlwind, and Aromatherapy clears status for Xerneas and its teammate, which is always beneficial with those being very common on Pokemon such as eternatus and Necrozma- dusk mane as a check

calc :
252 SpA Tera Fighting Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 184-217 (51.9 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tera Fighting Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 252-296 (35.8 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
This is unboosted damage on their « check »

+2 252 SpA Xerneas Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Arceus-Poison: 246-290 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (one of his best check)
+2 252 SpA Xerneas Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Arceus-Poison: 246-290 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Im too bored to do more calc, but none of his check survive correctly to xearnas after boosts

in conclusion : ban xerneas

We've discussed this in discord recently, but since someone has brought it up here I think it is worthwhile making a proper post.

There are four potential tiering actions which are consistently mentioned. The three mons mentioned in the survey (:xerneas::zacian-crowned::zygarde-complete:) and tera. It is currently my understanding that tera is not being considered for a suspect test due to nothing materially changing since the last test. Stellar tera has not had much of an impact on the metagame. :marshadow: runs it on ocassion and not much else. Though I'd personally like to see it retested I do get why it is not being considered for one at the moment.

Whether :xerneas:, :zacian-crowned:, or :zygarde-complete: should be the priorty for a suspect if there is one is going to vary depending on who you ask. This is something which has been discussed at length in the communities I am a part of and I don't think many people are going to change their mind on what they believe should be prioritized for a suspect test if we are to have one. The post :koraidon: meta has existed for a few months now and this has given us time to assess the meta and come to our own conclusions. It is subjective and everyone will develop their opinion based on their own weights of what constitutes an unhealthy presence.

:zacian-crowned: is the more managable of the two and interacts with the meta as whole and tera speficially in a healthier manner than :xerneas:. Due to the intrepid nerf :zacian-crowned: is wary about actually entering the battle as if it is forced out it loses its free boost which is incredibly signifcant as being forced out heavily dilutes its threat level. If :xerneas: is phazed by :ho-oh: it isn't a huge setback if it hasn't popped its :power-herb:. When :zacian-crowned: is forced to start at neutral as opposed to +1 its attempts to sweep or break are massively hindered. This is a significant drawback as the :zacian-crowned: user faces signifcant risks actually getting it on the field in many instances if they want to switch it in.

Of all of the sets these two demons can run
1707074293385.png
:zacian-crowned: has the highest ceiling.
1707075493245.png
allows it to blow past much of its most common counterplay and some emergency measures such as
1707075586896.png
:eternatus: which would otherwise be able to tank any hit and revenge
1707075646702.png
:zacian-crowned:. Though
1707075671931.png
:zacian-crowned: poses an enormous threat level it comes with a signifcant opportunity cost which is present in both the builder and battle. It is a tera hog which makes it harder to build with as it wants partners that do not often need to do so. If a teamate is required to tera to deal with a certain threat :zacian-crowned: is left with a waste of an incredibly valuable moveslot that it would have otherwise used for coverage. This causes some consistency issues. It is nonethless worth this risk due to the potential reward you get from such an investment.

:xerneas:, however, does not have this issue. The current best set, at least in my opinion, is
1707076236485.png
HP rock focus blast. This :xerneas: set is rarely pressured to tera outside of the stall matchup. Thanks to the :koraidon: ban it is freed up to run modest which allows it to 2hko even defensive :groudon-primal: with moonblast. Notably, it does not have the opportunity cost of running tera blast since it is always running moonblast anyways. 49% of the time it will even break :chansey:, something a special attacker isn't supposed to be able to do. :zacian-crowned: lacks the ability to break through :dondozo:. Yes
1707077499697.png
wild charge will 2hko after rocks, but that set is so bad that is doesn't merit consideration in this context. Additionally, :zygarde-complete: is not something I currently view as suspect worthy but that could change in the future.

So to clarify, I'd perfer that we retest tera. In a teraless meta I do not believe that any mon would be worthy of tiering action. Testing :Xerneas: would be my highest priority, but I would also be fine with a :zacian-crowned: suspect if that is the direction that the council chooses to go. The meta can handle one but not both of them. Even if I personally don't think :zacian-crowned: is suspect worthy, the meta will be in a signifcantly better place when you arn't trying to handle both :zacian-crowned: and :xerneas:. I'm not opposed to a :zygarde-complete: suspect but I can't see myself voting to ban it at the moment.

Attachments

Please allow me to write my 2 cents on Xerneas.

I'll admit Xerneas' place in the metagame is controversial to say the least, but I believe hands down that it doesn't reach in any form the brokenness/uncompetitiveness of the previous bans, namely in Calyrex-S, Mega Rayquaza, Miraidon or even Koraidon. The first three are self-explanatory, the latter one required at least two tera Fairy/Water on Pokemon that on paper should have a great matchup against it such as Ho-Oh/Arceus-Fairy, and even then it could sweep a whole team just with the slighest amount of chip. Koraidon also had 135 base speed, meaning that no matter what you had to take a heavy hit before KOing it, and it also had the defensive utility of revenge killing things.

Xerneas, on the other hand, does not enjoy the same broken qualities as the aforementioned four Pokemon. In fact, I don't necessarily think that it is even harder to check than back in the ORAS day where the best Steel type was Klefki. The tier is filled with decent counterplay in the best Pokemon in the tier Primal Groudon, one of the most splashable Defogger in Ho-Oh, Zacian-C, the underrated Necrozma-DM, and priority users such as Arceus, Marshadow that can do well over 35%, even more with Tera. In other words, in order for Xerneas to be truly threatening, it must be in pristine condition, and it must burn Tera in order to get past its usual answers. But you can have your own Tera, for example Tera Fire on Ho-Oh lets it beat Xerneas 100% of the time (unless Ingrain Z-Geomancy), Tera Poison Giratina-O flips the matchup.

The best way to manage Xerneas is not letting it set up. Fortunately because of Zygarde, Taunt Arceus is everywhere, as is Taunt Yveltal. However, even when set-up, priority users are very viable in the metagame, as you also need priority to help against the likes of Eternatus, Ultra Necrozma, DD Arceus. If we look at the viability rankings, things that let Xerneas setting up for free are rare.

:groudon-primal: No, unless weakened and takes a lot in the process.

:zygarde-complete: Yes but runs the risk of getting Paralyzed. Aromatherapy can help. A huge one in Xerneas' favor.

:eternatus: Sludge Bomb, can Tera Fire. You can setup if you burn Tera right away.

:xerneas: Faster one wins

:ho-oh: No

:zacian-crowned: No, unless you burn Tera right away and pray for Focus Blast/Thunder to hit.

:arceus: :earth-plate: Only on defensive variants. You do win the 1v1 against offensive variants too, but you take 80% in the process. CM deals more than > 50%.

:kyogre-primal: Yes if you burn Tera Electric for the OHKO. Otherwise you take so much damage in the process.

:arceus: :dread-plate: Taunt+Tera poison exists, but you can. Second big one in Xerneas' favor.

:yveltal: One Knock Off and Xerneas is useless. Taunt. Except of Dual Screens Zacian+Xerneas teams, I have never seen a Xerneas team which is not extremely weak to LO Yveltal. The reason for this is that the best checks to Yveltal are Fairy types, you need a primary check to Yveltal which teams can hardly afford, as no one from the defensive backbone of PDon + Ho-Oh/Giratina-O + POgre/Eternatus + Zygarde/Arceus-Ground can reliably switch-in. One Oblivion Wing is also enough to put 168 Def Xerneas into Precipice Blades range, or Extremespeed if SR is down.

:necrozma-ultra: No

:salamence-mega: Sure, but one Frustration + any priority move is enough.

:arceus: No

:necrozma-dusk-mane: No

:arceus: :pixie-plate: Taunt

:marshadow: Sure, but you don't OHKO tera Ghost Marshadow and it 2HKOes you first.

:mewtwo-mega-y: Sure. Third big one.

:giratina-origin: Sure. But as mentioned before, you have to be aware of Tera Poison/Steel. In fact, I think that Giratina-O builds are the weakest against Xerneas, unless you want to run Giratina-O + Ho-Oh. Fourth big one.

:palkia-origin: You take a hydro pump in the process, potentially OHKOing with Tera.

:arceus: :splash-plate: Taunt

:deoxys-attack: Sure, if at -2 and not Tera Psychic, but you still can get heavily chipped with Extremespeed (> 78% at the very least).

:ditto: Ditto is a pain for Xerneas teams.

These are the most common interactions between Xerneas and the rest of the metagame. You'll see that Xerneas must be very healthy in order to sweep and thus I heavily disagree with the idea that Xerneas has good defensive utility. I understand that these are the most favorable situations for the player facing Xerneas, and that the Xerneas' player can also throw a Moonblast every time before switching out every time when facing Taunt users in a perfect case scenario. I don't want to undermine what Xerneas can do, it is a big threat in the metagame and requires good teambuilding, good play to mitigate what it can do. Sometimes the right Tera, specifically Fighting or Electric, can feel a little bullshit as well. However, it needs support as a team, whether through Screens or through a strong defensive backbone, in order to function optimally.

I tried teams with Zacian + Xerneas, the main problem is that PDon + Ho-Oh are resilient enough to fend off those threats, unless you want to sacrifice your Zacian to open a Xerneas sweep, but even then opposing Ho-Oh can be a pain if you don't do it fast enough.

Primal Kyogre + Xerneas is the most threatening in my opinion as it eats Xerneas' checks alive, and moreso than Zacian, it can come in several times during a game to dish out damage that will stick, greatly facilitating Xerneas' sweep, especially in the Primal Groudon matchup.

Lastly, Gothitelle + Xerneas is outright evil in the right matchup (e.g. versus stall/defensive/balanced teams), but can fall flat against more offensive teams as both Pokemon's lack of defensive utility is quite problematic.

Will the metagame get more diverse with a Xerneas ban? Maybe. Is Xerneas broken? No, at least not for Ubers standards. Is Xerneas overcentralizing? No, as things that check it are already very splashable in the metagame, and you don't need to use bad Pokemon/movesets/items to check it.

So, from this point of view, I would not support a Xerneas ban in case of a suspect. I do support a suspect though, they are the best way to examine the place of a Pokemon in a metagame.

I would also support a Tera suspect. Actually I too would prefer to suspect Tera first. It kills many birds in one stone, as Thousand Waves Zygarde-C and the aforementioned Xerneas would be much more manageable. No more Tera Water/Fairy Zygarde-C either. I'm also interested in how you deal with Tera Dark LO Yveltal, especially with the flinch chance taken into account, or the threat of Sucker Punch, as none of the defensive backbones can handle it properly, and I believe it exacerbates the Tera issues. I would also mention the Marshadow vs Extremekiller and Deoxys-A matchup. Without Tera, Marshadow becomes a great check unless Arceus carries Chople Berry, but now it seems like you walk on eggshells with the threat of Tera Ghost/Normal respectively, creating a bunch of unhealthy 50/50.

bumboclaat

is a Pre-Contributor
I'll admit Xerneas' place in the metagame is controversial to say the least, but I believe hands down that it doesn't reach in any form the brokenness/uncompetitiveness of the previous bans, namely in Calyrex-S, Mega Rayquaza, Miraidon or even Koraidon. The first three are self-explanatory, the latter one required at least two tera Fairy/Water on Pokemon that on paper should have a great matchup against it such as Ho-Oh/Arceus-Fairy, and even then it could sweep a whole team just with the slighest amount of chip. Koraidon also had 135 base speed, meaning that no matter what you had to take a heavy hit before KOing it, and it also had the defensive utility of revenge killing things.
:calyrex-shadow::rayquaza-mega::miraidon: are well above the threshold for what constitutes a banworthy mon and I think we would probably both agree. I did see some players call for a :koraidon: ban pre scale shot but that was not something I agreed with. Even if we were to complex ban :koraidon: from teraing I still would not want it back in the tier. Though not close to as broken as :calyrex-shadow::rayquaza-mega::miraidon: scale shot :koraidon: is still well above what I'd consider an acceptable presence in the tier. That is to say a mon doesn't have to :koraidon: levels of broken for it to be banworthy in my eyes.

Xerneas, on the other hand, does not enjoy the same broken qualities as the aforementioned four Pokemon. In fact, I don't necessarily think that it is even harder to check than back in the ORAS day where the best Steel type was Klefki.
In the SV Ubers thread (post #63) Aberforth wrote " But Ubers has itself changed since a lot of the times you mentioned. If XY came out tomorrow for the first time, there's no chance that Xerneas would stay in the tier, for example. The culture and environment is simply very different nowadays and thats not a problem. Cultures and tiers change over time, and especially with AG existing, what was once the primary mentality of an Ubers player is now the mentality of people who do not play the tier. And, ultimately, any tiering purpose we have here is to serve the wishes and desires of our community. If Koraidon gets suspected and gets banned, it is because an overwhelming majority of players want to see Koraidon gone, and there is no point in ignoring the opinions of the vast majority of the players to keep true to the spirit of a previous version of Ubers. Its why, despite being adamant that Calyrex-S was a good thing for the meta, I voted to have a suspect on it in SS. We are here to listen to the community and try to act if necessary. "

I remember wanting it banned during that time and Aberforth is on the money when he touched on the shifting identity of ubers from purely a banlist to a tier that concerns itself with competitive balance.
The tier is filled with decent counterplay in the best Pokemon in the tier Primal Groudon, one of the most splashable Defogger in Ho-Oh, Zacian-C, the underrated Necrozma-DM, and priority users such as Arceus, Marshadow that can do well over 35%, even more with Tera. In other words, in order for Xerneas to be truly threatening, it must be in pristine condition, and it must burn Tera in order to get past its usual answers. But you can have your own Tera, for example Tera Fire on Ho-Oh lets it beat Xerneas 100% of the time (unless Ingrain Z-Geomancy), Tera Poison Giratina-O flips the matchup.
Counterplay to :xerneas: within the tier does exist. I agree with you there, if it didn't :xerneas: would have been long banned. Where we disagree is that :xerneas: has to be in pristine condition to its job. :xerneas: is rarely going to get a 'free' opportunity to boost but its bulk and typing allow it to take a hit from a lot of mons anyways, sometimes two. This also presumes that its checks are going to be in pristine condition as well. Outside of :ho-oh: this doesn't really happen. :ho-oh: is really about the only mon that is comfortable switching into :xerneas: as everything else isn't particularly keen on switching into a moonblast. Really the only other thing that comes to mind are DD variants of :necrozma-dusk-mane:. Defensive :necrozma-dusk-mane: is a :xerneas: check that doesn't check :xerneas: due to rarely being able to fit earthquake so it looses to sub or
1707157702946.png
/
1707157725808.png
/
1707157750092.png
. It is however the best check to :fairium-z::xerneas:. The priority users do revenge it, but that also means that you've already lost at least one mon and must have chipped it fairly heavily to allow them to successfully revenge it.
1707157942819.png
:giratina-origin: can somewhat deal with it from full but this means that it is a defogger that can't defog against :xerneas: teams as it is going to take enough chip doing so to put it dangerously close to being KO'd by +2 moonblast even with
1707158241103.png
. Even then you've sacced a mon and tera to paralyze :xerneas: to let something else ko it.

I don't really think it has to burn tera to get past its answers unless you're deadset on using :xerneas: as a sweeper rather than a breaker who can easily sweep under the right conditions. As I said in my earlier post, I HP Rock Focus Blast is the best at the moment and it doesn't need to tera unless facing stall. Additionally, forcing a tera in this manner is something which is easily taken advantage of by its teammates. One of the primary reasons I think one of :xerneas: or :zacian-crowned: has to go is that teraing to deal with :xerneas: leaves most of its counterplay very vulnerable to
1707158886258.png
/
1707158896104.png
:zacian-crowned: with
1707158907471.png
:ho-oh: being a great example.

The best way to manage Xerneas is not letting it set up. Fortunately because of Zygarde, Taunt Arceus is everywhere, as is Taunt Yveltal. However, even when set-up, priority users are very viable in the metagame, as you also need priority to help against the likes of Eternatus, Ultra Necrozma, DD Arceus.
This is a lot easier said than done. Often it is delaying :xerneas: rather than stopping it. :arceus::dread-plate: is really the only :arceus: that runs taunt without a drawback. :arceus::spooky-plate: generally does but that is rarely seen outside of HO and is using it for an offensive purpose rather than a defensive one. Running taunt is an opportunity cost which means :arceus: comes at the cost of refresh to ward off status, recover, or valuable coverage. :yveltal: should be knocking which not all run since both run the risk of getting moonblasted and OHKO'd anyways unless it is
1707159758404.png
which is uncommon and still uses your tera. Priority users are valuable, but are also highly punishable. :choice-band::marshadow: locking into shadow sneak gives a free turn afterwards which can be taken advantage of whilst one round of :life-orb: chip means it is KO'd by moves which it could otherwise live from full such as dynamax cannon from offensive :eternatus:.

Going to just go through the list of mons you've provided rather than quoting each individual one

:groudon-primal: - It really depends on the team and gamestate. Vs HO it is definitely doable depending on the team as even 252+ blades maxes out at 66% and getting a geomancy against HO can end the game on the spot. It isn't setting up on defensive sets found on balance teams but surprisingly it is favoured to live blades into :choice-band:
1707160788815.png
sneak. It is a moot point since most likely a :ho-oh: will be on the team anyways. Against BO it is definitely feasible as you mentioned in your post :giratina-origin: teams tend to struggle a lot v :xerneas: so similar to the HO matchup getting a geomancy off can be the end of the game.

:zygarde-complete: - This is going to depend on whether the :xerneas: is
1707160965723.png
or sub. If it is :zygarde: is free setup and regardless +2 moonblast is an OHKO if it has not transformed. If the :Xerneas: isn't
1707161063992.png
/sub it isn't worth taking a glare.

:eternatus: - This really depends on the :eternatus: team. V defensive sets found on bulkier teams it isn't really worth teraing. However, offensive :eternatus: is often not coming out before the mid game at the earliest so things are pretty likely to have enough chip or be dead to where it can be worth burning tera to set up.

:xerneas: - No comment

:ho-oh: - Yeah it shouldn't ever really be setting up v it but it doesn't need to end with a positive interaction. Most likely you're forcing a tera from :ho-oh: at the cost of being toxic'd or phased. I would rarely ever set up v it but taking a toxic is well worth forcing the tera on :ho-oh: which makes it very susceptible to something else on the team while keeping the power herb intact.

:zacian-crowned: - Obviously it isn't going to set up on it. Sure on paper you can use your tera to do so but in practise it will rarely work out well for the :xerneas: user.

:arceus::earth-plate: - Depends on whether the team values the trade since it will be picked off after. Getting rid of it for something like offensive :groudon-primal: is likely worth it. Not going to say it always is though. It is very team dependent.

:kyogre-primal: - This really depends on both the :kyogre-primal: and the :xerneas:. Offensive :kyogre-primal: kinda thuds into HO, trading at best and +2 moonblast OHKO's if rocks are up so thunder doesn't matter. :xerneas: balance may see it as worthwhile due to defensive :kyogre-primal: being a real headache but it is going to be left at 35%ish in a best case scenario so it will be revenged afterwards. Whether it is considered a worthwhile trade is team dependent.

:arceus::dread-plate: - Agreed. Especially if paired with :necrozma-ultra:.

:yveltal: Agree with the knock though :xerneas: HO doesn't have issues with :yveltal: to begin with. On balance it should just moonblast anyways since most of the rest of the team is going to have pretty significant issues dealing w/ :life-orb::yveltal:.

:necrozma-ultra: - On paper sure it can. In practise it isn't going to happen. :necrozma-ultra: has to be admant and :xerneas: has to
1707163229685.png
or it is getting blown up. It is never going to be worth that level of risk.

:salamence-mega: - Agreed. It is worth trading on some balances but that is just hitting it with moonblast not boosting up.

:arceus: - Agreed.

:necrozma-dusk-mane: Defensive :necrozma-dusk-mane: is setup fodder for every :xerneas: set.
1707164042972.png
/
1707164053519.png
resist sunstrike with the latter having a toxic immunity and it gets even worse if :xerneas: has sub. The :ho-oh: likely partnering with :necrozma-dusk-mane: can at least do its job for it.
1707164042972.png
/
1707164053519.png
can setup on offensive DD sets since these tend to not be on the bulkiest of teams. Defensive DD :necrozma-dusk-mane: wins though. Wish more people would use that set.

:arceus::pixie-plate: - Yeah it isn't happening between taunt, toxic, and the :ho-oh: that most likely accompanies it.

:marshadow: - It can find the turns to do, particularly :choice-band: locked into sneak. :life-orb: is no.

:mewtwo-mega-y: Find it is a coinflip. :xerneas: isn't switching in and :mewtwo-mega-y: will be at +2 often enough to mean :xerneas: won't be setting up. If it doesn't have a plot then sure.

:giratina-origin: - Agreed. :giratina-origin:+:ho-oh: teams are rarer than me making a short post.

:palkia-origin: - Agreed.

:arceus-water: - Don't really see how this finds the room for taunt in its moveset. If it isn't running CM it is very hard to justify over a different :arceus: form.

:deoxys-attack: - Agreed.

:ditto: - Agreed for :xerneas: HO but HO gets wrecked by :ditto: in general anyways. :xerneas: balance can abuse a :ditto: but yeah setting up is still risky though you can double on the forced switch.

These are the most common interactions between Xerneas and the rest of the metagame. You'll see that Xerneas must be very healthy in order to sweep and thus I heavily disagree with the idea that Xerneas has good defensive utility. I understand that these are the most favorable situations for the player facing Xerneas, and that the Xerneas' player can also throw a Moonblast every time before switching out every time when facing Taunt users in a perfect case scenario. I don't want to undermine what Xerneas can do, it is a big threat in the metagame and requires good teambuilding, good play to mitigate what it can do. Sometimes the right Tera, specifically Fighting or Electric, can feel a little bullshit as well. However, it needs support as a team, whether through Screens or through a strong defensive backbone, in order to function optimally.
Not really sure who is saying that :xerneas: has good defensive utility. Well the :choice-scarf:/:leftovers:/:rocky-helmet: sets do but we arn't discussing those. It just has enough defensive qualities to let it find a lot of opportunities to setup. I do wish more players would just throw out moonblasts rather than just attempt to boost up then lose their :xerneas: to the counterplay every team is mandated to have. :xerneas: definitely requires support and isn't going to sweep right off the bat. The issues that myself and a lot of others have is that achieving the conditions for :xerneas: to sweep is too easy or that :xerneas: can simply punch enough holes that another mon can easily clean up the wreckage. Yeah :xerneas: does stupid things and there is almost always going to some bullshit set that sweeps you. Additionally :xerneas: isn't a mon that really requires much in terms of support. The mons you use to support it are all great mons which will find their way onto your teams anyways.

I tried teams with Zacian + Xerneas, the main problem is that PDon + Ho-Oh are resilient enough to fend off those threats, unless you want to sacrifice your Zacian to open a Xerneas sweep, but even then opposing Ho-Oh can be a pain if you don't do it fast enough.
This is the wrong way around. You're sacrificing your :xerneas: to facilitate a :zacian-crowned: sweep. :ho-oh: is going to be too weak to deal with :zacian-crowned: after :xerneas: and :groudon-primal: gets blown up by tera blast ground. It is just HO overwhelming shared checks.

Primal Kyogre + Xerneas is the most threatening in my opinion as it eats Xerneas' checks alive, and moreso than Zacian, it can come in several times during a game to dish out damage that will stick, greatly facilitating Xerneas' sweep, especially in the Primal Groudon matchup.
Yeah this is great. Rarely use :xerneas: myself since I find it quite boring but I would like to build a :groudon-primal::ho-oh::kyogre-primal::xerneas::arceus-dark: +1 at some point.

Lastly, Gothitelle + Xerneas is outright evil in the right matchup (e.g. versus stall/defensive/balanced teams), but can fall flat against more offensive teams as both Pokemon's lack of defensive utility is quite problematic.
Yeah this more of a :gothitelle: team issue. It is either god tier or you're playing 5 v 6. It works best when the rest of the team is built to deal with HO in my experience. Love :gothitelle: but rarely use it because it is not fun to ladder with.

Will the metagame get more diverse with a Xerneas ban? Maybe. Is Xerneas broken? No, at least not for Ubers standards. Is Xerneas overcentralizing? No, as things that check it are already very splashable in the metagame, and you don't need to use bad Pokemon/movesets/items to check it.
Fair enough. The issue in my eyes isn't necissarily handling :xerneas: itself but :xerneas: + friends.

I'm also interested in how you deal with Tera Dark LO Yveltal, especially with the flinch chance taken into account, or the threat of Sucker Punch, as none of the defensive backbones can handle it properly, and I believe it exacerbates the Tera issues.
It depends what style of team you're using. HO generally doesn't have a ton of issues with it since it can maybe sucker a couple of mons but is going to be outsped and blasted by the rest. The good thing is that it doesn't run sucker and knock. It is however yeah, a demon to most things slower than it. On paper :arceus::pixie-plate: handles it but still gets 3hko'd by wing so it gets forced into recover loops which are exploitable. Oddly, it is about the only mon in the tier :zacian-crowned: actually wants to switch in on since heat wave is uncommon these days. Defensive :kyogre-primal: also trades with it fairly well. Oddly enough the best switchin I've ever found is CM :arceus::splash-plate:. Even bulkless it isn't 2hko'd any move and can usually recover / cm at least once in the worst case scenario. Usually it gets a CM which either scares it out or forces a taunt which then the :yveltal: can either switch out or scarifice itself to leave :arceus::splash-plate: at enough health that it still poses a threat and is going to chunk most things that it outspeeds. :power-herb::eternatus: is another option. Statusing it on a predicted switch more or less kills it as well whether it is the para speed drop or toxic + :life-orb: chip killing any longevity it has.

:life-orb::yveltal: is really not a mon that comes to mind when thinking about tera issues. When I use it most of the time if it teras it is to remove the rocks weakness rather than for the extra damage. Agreed though that a tera retest would be the top priority, just not sure if it is an option unfortunately.

Attachments

Thanks for the reply.

:calyrex-shadow::rayquaza-mega::miraidon: are well above the threshold for what constitutes a banworthy mon and I think we would probably both agree. I did see some players call for a :koraidon: ban pre scale shot but that was not something I agreed with. Even if we were to complex ban :koraidon: from teraing I still would not want it back in the tier. Though not close to as broken as :calyrex-shadow::rayquaza-mega::miraidon: scale shot :koraidon: is still well above what I'd consider an acceptable presence in the tier. That is to say a mon doesn't have to :koraidon: levels of broken for it to be banworthy in my eyes.
I remember wanting it banned during that time and Aberforth is on the money when he touched on the shifting identity of ubers from purely a banlist to a tier that concerns itself with competitive balance.
I'd argue Koraidon with its myriad of sets prior Scale Shot was harder to check than current Xerneas within the current metagame.

I hear your point (or Aberforth's). However, considering the competitive balance is not and should not be the same as what other tiers are doing. Otherwise things like PDon, Xerneas itself, Ultra Necrozma would have been banned long ago, but we as a community accept this power level. We banned Calyrex-S, Miraidon, Mega Rayquaza and Koraidon because they were broken to the point where some playstyles were completely unusable due to them existing, that games were decided on speedties, that you were handicapping yourself if you didn't use them. This is clearly not the case with Xerneas.

Counterplay to :xerneas: within the tier does exist. I agree with you there, if it didn't :xerneas: would have been long banned. Where we disagree is that :xerneas: has to be in pristine condition to its job. :xerneas: is rarely going to get a 'free' opportunity to boost but its bulk and typing allow it to take a hit from a lot of mons anyways, sometimes two.
If reasonable counterplay exists, unlike the aforementioned 4, then Xerneas should not be banned. I haven't seen people using "unreasonable things" like Ludicolo vs Kyogre back in the days or doing "unreasonable plays" like in gen 8 where Yveltal Foul Plays Zacian 3 times in a row while all Zacian did was Assurance the Yveltal back predicting the Necrozma-DM switch-in.

Not going to delve into matchup in details but:
:groudon-primal: - It really depends on the team and gamestate. Vs HO it is definitely doable depending on the team as even 252+ blades maxes out at 66% and getting a geomancy against HO can end the game on the spot. It isn't setting up on defensive sets found on balance teams but surprisingly it is favoured to live blades into :choice-band:
1707160788815.png
sneak. It is a moot point since most likely a :ho-oh: will be on the team anyways. Against BO it is definitely feasible as you mentioned in your post :giratina-origin: teams tend to struggle a lot v :xerneas: so similar to the HO matchup getting a geomancy off can be the end of the game.
You're using 252 Def, meaning no speed investment at all. This is a choice and a game of compromises as you take an attack from POgre, Giratina-O with your 0/0 special investment instead of being at +2. You still take a bunch from Heat Crash if PDon runs it and > 50% of them do, as per the latest 1760 stats.

0 Atk Groudon-Primal Heat Crash (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Xerneas in Harsh Sunshine: 222-262 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The main point is that very few Pokemon let Xerneas set up unscathed, to the point where a priority move is enough after you sacced something to it. Keep in mind that Xerneas can only set-up once.

Not really sure who is saying that :xerneas: has good defensive utility.
Xr Kartana's post claiming it walls Marshadow and Zygarde-C. It does, but not Geomancy sets.

The issues that myself and a lot of others have is that achieving the conditions for :xerneas: to sweep is too easy or that :xerneas: can simply punch enough holes that another mon can easily clean up the wreckage.
This is the wrong way around. You're sacrificing your :xerneas: to facilitate a :zacian-crowned: sweep. :ho-oh: is going to be too weak to deal with :zacian-crowned: after :xerneas: and :groudon-primal: gets blown up by tera blast ground. It is just HO overwhelming shared checks.
Yes, but overloading a check is not something new though. Things like DD Arceus-Ground + Offensive PDon, Eternatus + Zacian, Mega Mewtwo Y + Deoxys-A for example also have the ability to blow right through their checks. Careful play depending on the gamestate can prevent this situation from happening. We are lucky to have two top-tier Pokemon that naturally checks those two, and one of them has Regenerator. If you let Xerneas get +2/+2 and while having to face a +1 Zacian in the back, and your checks are chipped, then something else went wrong before. The tier rewards good plays and allows relatively good freedom in the teambuilder already. For example, most of the teams in your teambuilding competition are varied, decent enough and have ok counterplay to most if not every single threat in the metagame (except when you ask us to build around a shitmon like Lando-I lmao), and this is the sign of a healthy metagame.

RE: LO Yveltal
On paper :arceus::pixie-plate: handles it but still gets 3hko'd by wing so it gets forced into recover loops which are exploitable.
Especially by the bad matchups against the top-tier Pokemon.
Oddly, it is about the only mon in the tier :zacian-crowned: actually wants to switch in on since heat wave is uncommon these days. Defensive :kyogre-primal: also trades with it fairly well.
Yes but ideally you'd want Zacian to get to +3. Losing your +1 just to switch into Yveltal is not the most optimal play unfortunately. POgre can trade but cannot switch-in, and is ruined by a flinch.

I've used bulky Eternatus to combat Yveltal to decent success, but still not ideal.

When I use it most of the time if it teras it is to remove the rocks weakness rather than for the extra damage.
Dark Pulse's damage reaches an insane level to the point where neutral-natured Yveltal can 2HKO standard Ho-Oh, defensive POgre, and also is great when you want to KO the opposing Pokemon without taking an attack in return. But yes it can also be used against the likes of DD Stone Edge Ultra Necrozma.

Last edited:
i am. i run a max special defence xerneas so i can set up on kyogre water spout, and its pretty decent.

anyways, adressing xerneas as a whole:no. xerneas should not be banned. as long as the best mon in the tier counters it, it is not banworthy.
Except :groudon-primal: is a shaky check to :xerneas: due to it often being worn down, by hazards or stray attacks like :kyogre-primal:'s Ice Beam (who synergises well with :xerneas: by the way). There's also the fact that a lot of :xerneas: sets have ways of hitting him for neutral, whether it be Focus Blast or even the HP Ground sets.

bumboclaat

is a Pre-Contributor
I'd argue Koraidon with its myriad of sets prior Scale Shot was harder to check than current Xerneas within the current metagame.
They are different in that :xerneas: only has one immediately threatening set. When :xerneas: enters the field you are always under the assumption that it is geo and use whatever method of counterplay you have available due to the immediate threat it poses. :koraidon: could be :choice-scarf::choice-band::dragonium-z: which changed up the counterplay to some degree. :dragonium-z: required two turns to become a monster compared to the single one that :xerneas: does which is a noticable difference. :ho-oh: was counterplay but so was
1707353208413.png
:zygarde: which was more common then compared to now. It may have been harder for HO to check but it was managable on balance.

I hear your point (or Aberforth's). However, considering the competitive balance is not and should not be the same as what other tiers are doing. Otherwise things like PDon, Xerneas itself, Ultra Necrozma would have been banned long ago, but we as a community accept this power level. We banned Calyrex-S, Miraidon, Mega Rayquaza and Koraidon because they were broken to the point where some playstyles were completely unusable due to them existing, that games were decided on speedties, that you were handicapping yourself if you didn't use them. This is clearly not the case with Xerneas.
The threshold for what is broken/banworthy in Ubers is and should be higher than OU. We definitely agree on that. Where we disagree is where the threshold for ubers should be. :xerneas: definitely is not at the level of banned mons and we agree on that. I don't agree that :groudon-primal: would be banned as it is akin to gen 6/7 :landorus-therian: and is a healthy centralizing presence. At the end of the day yeah Ubers is the tier for broken things and if you can't deal with things being a little bit broken this isn't the tier for you. The currently banned mons are well above what my threshold is though there is space between those monsters and something I don't particularly like in the tier, but wouldn't ban. :xerneas: occupies that space for me.

If reasonable counterplay exists, unlike the aforementioned 4, then Xerneas should not be banned. I haven't seen people using "unreasonable things" like Ludicolo vs Kyogre back in the days or doing "unreasonable plays" like in gen 8 where Yveltal Foul Plays Zacian 3 times in a row while all Zacian did was Assurance the Yveltal back predicting the Necrozma-DM switch-in.
This is part of the shift in mentality mentioned in Aberforths post. I'm not saying :kyogre: should be banned RS/DPP, if the equivilant of :ludicolo: being used to counter :kyogre: (did you mean :parasect:?) existed in this tier the mon would certainly be banned. :latios:/:latias: are the main :kyogre: answers in that tier. It is more that the concept of banning a mon from ubers at the time was unthinkable. What is pertinent is that the DPP Ubers playerbase voted to ban :arceus: from the tier after testing it. Hell even the base :zacian: which was a C- threat in SS Ubers when :zacian-crowned: was around and wholly inferior in every way ended up banned from that tier. I don't think something needs to be as stupid as SS :zacian-crowned: to be considered for a ban.

Reasonable counterplay exists to :xerneas: in a vacuum, the issue I have is that there are 5 other mons. :ho-oh: isn't :quagsire: which fell off the face of the earth when :zacian-crowned: was banned. Yes you check :xerneas: but the level of prep it requires in the teambuilder to not lose to :xerneas: and friends is a bit much for me.
1707354982167.png
:ho-oh: will always phase :xerneas: from full unless it is ingrain (shoutout R8), but the best case scenario is the :xerneas: user geos and thunder(bolted) / hp rock'd into you but more often than not they're safe just moonblasting to scout what you plan to do or can just +2 moonblast as you tera and phase burning your tera and leaving :ho-oh: at 10% which will likely be difficult to regen. Regardless your
1707355201161.png
:ho-oh: is now no longer able to perform its role in a lot of cases.

You're using 252 Def, meaning no speed investment at all. This is a choice and a game of compromises as you take an attack from POgre, Giratina-O with your 0/0 special investment instead of being at +2. You still take a bunch from Heat Crash if PDon runs it and > 50% of them do, as per the latest 1760 stats.

0 Atk Groudon-Primal Heat Crash (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Xerneas in Harsh Sunshine: 222-262 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The main point is that very few Pokemon let Xerneas set up unscathed, to the point where a priority move is enough after you sacced something to it. Keep in mind that Xerneas can only set-up once.
The calcs I ran were 168 Def / 88 speed. :groudon-primal: shouldn't run heat crash on defensive sets. Your RMT is an example of this as it is SD Heat Crash. Yes 50% of :groudon-primal: may run heat crash but defensive ones don't or shouldn't.

0 Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 190-225 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Tera Ghost Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 170-200 (43.2 - 50.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Tera Ghost Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 168 Def Xerneas: 170-200 (43.2 - 50.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

The 2nd :marshadow: calc is after taking a mid roll from blades. Yes :xerneas: can only setup once but it is still a coinflip to live this combo, has taken your tera, and has :marshadow: locked into shadow sneak which is very exploitable.

Yes, but overloading a check is not something new though. Things like DD Arceus-Ground + Offensive PDon, Eternatus + Zacian, Mega Mewtwo Y + Deoxys-A for example also have the ability to blow right through their checks. Careful play depending on the gamestate can prevent this situation from happening. We are lucky to have two top-tier Pokemon that naturally checks those two, and one of them has Regenerator. If you let Xerneas get +2/+2 and while having to face a +1 Zacian in the back, and your checks are chipped, then something else went wrong before. The tier rewards good plays and allows relatively good freedom in the teambuilder already. For example, most of the teams in your teambuilding competition are varied, decent enough and have ok counterplay to most if not every single threat in the metagame (except when you ask us to build around a shitmon like Lando-I lmao), and this is the sign of a healthy metagame.
To get the :landorus: bit out of the way, I thought it had more potential than it did. I also was not one of the seven people who voted for it so I'm not taking full responsibility for that one.

Yes overloading shared checks is the general gameplan for HO. The question to answer when it is healthy is how easy is it to execute that and how constraining is it on teambuilding? Ubers by its nature is always going to have constraints in the teambuilder well beyond what is considered reasonable in most other tiers. :ho-oh: is certainly a very hard :xerneas: check but :groudon-primal: is about as bad a :xerneas: check as a mon can be while still being considered a check since it can't actually switch into it given that it is 2hko'd by moonblast. Additionally, :groudon-primal: is far and away the easiest in the tier to chip given what it is tasked with on a game to game basis.

I agree that the tier awards good plays and somewhat agree that there is freedom in the builder. The issue I have with :xerneas: and :zacian-crowned: to a lesser degree is how often they bail out poor plays. Saying oh don't let things get chipped is valid, but it also undersells how easy it is to achieve that chip. Where I run into issues with :xerneas: is the role it plays in achieving those conditions. Speaking with Weirdhamster has really sold me on how good :ditto: is at the moment which is rarely a good sign. I think there are just a tad too many threats running around at the moment and testing :xerneas: is the best way to right that balance.

RE: LO Yveltal
Especially by the bad matchups against the top-tier Pokemon.
Yes but ideally you'd want Zacian to get to +3. Losing your +1 just to switch into Yveltal is not the most optimal play unfortunately. POgre can trade but cannot switch-in, and is ruined by a flinch.

I've used bulky Eternatus to combat Yveltal to decent success, but still not ideal.
Yeah I'm generally not the biggest fan of bulky :eternatus: on balance but honestly just keeping rocks up heavily limits :life-orb: :yveltal:. It does struggle a lot into most things that are faster than it and your offensive mons on a balance team should generallly be doing that. It is a very annoying mon to anything that isn't ho (knock :yveltal:) but with rocks up it is limited in terms of what it can do.

Dark Pulse's damage reaches an insane level to the point where neutral-natured Yveltal can 2HKO standard Ho-Oh, defensive POgre, and also is great when you want to KO the opposing Pokemon without taking an attack in return. But yes it can also be used against the likes of DD Stone Edge Ultra Necrozma.
If you're sacing :ho-oh: to deal with that the :yveltal: is going to be close to dead after taking 20% from :life-orb: + a sacred fire + a good chance at a burn and importantly won't be healing from wing. It is similar w/ :kyogre-primal: which lets you revenge it after. The situation you described with :necrozma-ultra: is about the only time I tera it v offence and that is as a last ditch effort. Generally I perfer to run :arceus-dark: or :choice-band::marshadow: if my team is particularly weak to :necrozma-ultra:.

Sorry it took a while to reply. I've been a bit busy IRL recently.

Hello everyone! You know the drill. It's time for another slate about how you find the metagame.
Feel free to complete it HERE. Once again, your input is very important and help us to take appropriate actions!

This slate will be up until Sunday, 18th at 10pm+1
Why is :zacian-crowned: not mentioned anywhere? I feel like this mon is pretty relevant in tier discussion with its sets.

RudeLiees

formerly Xr Kartana
Xerneas : 2, in my opinion Xerneas is still broken with Geomancy, banning xerneas/geomancy.
If tera is banned, will be a 4.
Zygarde C : very good Pokémon but not broken, defensive sets are wonderful against commons threats
Tera : broken, unbalanced in every tier with Tera allowed
ZacianC is also very good, but hate taking burn from oh-oh or from others Pokémons. NDM, groudonP, ho-oh, dondozo, defensive forms of arceus.. so not broken

Just a guy here, but the wild charge/tera blast (ground)/behemoth blade set on zacian c after intrepid sword and ONE SINGULAR SWORDS DANCE seems INCREDIBLY strong. At least, not talked about enough. like, that shit consistently ohkos (in my experience) Ho-Oh, Pdon, Necrozma-Dusk, Pogre, and all the standard arceus forms. The only checks i get to it are ditto/marshadow sets, in which case i have to play the match in a NORMAL way instead of zacian'ing. the only drawback is it makes zacian a little less able to hit things without tera/intrepid/swords dance, but if you want your unboosted zacian to 1v1 a p-don, I think you need to take your head out of the distortion world.
Thoughts?

Just a guy here, but the wild charge/tera blast (ground)/behemoth blade set on zacian c after intrepid sword and ONE SINGULAR SWORDS DANCE seems INCREDIBLY strong. At least, not talked about enough. like, that shit consistently ohkos (in my experience) Ho-Oh, Pdon, Necrozma-Dusk, Pogre, and all the standard arceus forms. The only checks i get to it are ditto/marshadow sets, in which case i have to play the match in a NORMAL way instead of zacian'ing. the only drawback is it makes zacian a little less able to hit things without tera/intrepid/swords dance, but if you want your unboosted zacian to 1v1 a p-don, I think you need to take your head out of the distortion world.
Thoughts?
Now im not the expert on zacian, but there are a few counters other than your listed ones:
Defogger + Terapagos or Heavy-Duty boots Terapagos
Tera Water Arceus-Ground
Tera Ghost Arceus-Normal
Heavy-Duty boots Lugia
Tera Electric Ho-oh
Thats all the ones I can think of without looking at all the Ubers mons.

Now im not the expert on zacian, but there are a few counters other than your listed ones:
Defogger + Terapagos or Heavy-Duty boots Terapagos
Tera Water Arceus-Ground
Tera Ghost Arceus-Normal
Heavy-Duty boots Lugia
Tera Electric Ho-oh
Thats all the ones I can think of without looking at all the Ubers mons.
:terapagos: (as far as I know) isn't that good in NDUbers. :lugia: definitely isn't good in NDUbers. And since when does :ho-oh: run Tera Electric?

Fair. Ho-oh usually runs tera ground, but that still gives it the electric resist. Lugia is good at screens. Have you ever tried terapagos?
Since when is :lugia: good at screens compared to :grimmsnarl: or :deoxys-speed:? Also I haven't tried :terapagos: but I've fought against it and its pretty underwhelming.

Grim is gonna get one tapped by Dialga or Xerneas. Lugia is big boi. Deoxys-s is a suicide lead.
252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Grimmsnarl through Light Screen: 286-337 (72.7 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Dialga Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Grimmsnarl through Light Screen: 183-216 (46.5 - 54.9%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO
:dialga: is bad as well, especially if it's using Flash Cannon.

Last edited:
:terapagos: (as far as I know) isn't that good in NDUbers. :lugia: definitely isn't good in NDUbers. And since when does :ho-oh: run Tera Electric?
Fair. Ho-oh usually runs tera ground, but that still gives it the electric resist. Lugia is good at screens. Have you ever tried terapagos?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)