Gen 5 "November Rain" (Peaked #1 with 90% GXE but I forgot to screenshot)

ThelordofbadRNG

Banned deucer.

:bw/Tornadus: :bw/Keldeo: :bw/Politoed: :bw/Ferrothorn: :bw/Starmie: :bw/Toxicroak:

Introduction:

Hello, everyone. I'm here to share with you all a rain team I built when I got into BW OU. For starters, I'd heard that rain and sand were extremely cruel in BW OU. I'd gone and built a lot of tryhard rain before I thought of using Toxicroak on a rain team. Toxicroak as a mon, was interesting, to say the least. Like everyone else, I ended up running dry skin Toxicroak on rain and this team is what came out. Well, I digress. I'll get to the team.

Teambuilding process:

:politoed:

Like every other rain team, I started off with Politoed as my main rain setter. Nothing much to say about this one. Lets move on.

:politoed: :tornadus: :keldeo:

I then added my main breaking core, being Tornadus+Keld. Both of these mons appreciate rain and as I was going for your basic rain, these two were inevitable rain abusers, to say the least. Both of these mons can fire off extremely strong Hurricane's and Hydro Pumps under rain often demolishing even resists straight up. Tornadus deals with stuff like Amoonguss, you get the idea.

:politoed: :tornadus: :keldeo: :ferrothorn:

Next, I added Ferrothorn as my way of dealing with specs Latios. Though, specs Latios can wear down Ferro with Draco and rocks and as such, be cautious. Ferro also sets up rocks and spikes and is annoying in general. Ferro also comes in handy versus Starmie and Rotom wash, two extremely threatening mons. You get the picture by now, I'd assume.

:politoed: :tornadus: :keldeo: :ferrothorn: :starmie:

I'd been in need of a spinner for this one as opposing Ferro wear my team down extremely quickly if they have both spikes and rocks and so, I decided upon Starmie to be my spinner. Aside from dealing with hazards, Starmie comes in handy versus weakened Latios, KOing it with LO ice beam and also being a decent offensive check to Keldeo, courtesy of its typing.

:politoed: :tornadus: :keldeo: :ferrothorn: :starmie: :toxicroak:

And finally, the star of the team being Toxicroak. Dry skin makes this thing near impossible to wear down, making it my check/blanket check to mons like Ferro, Chansey, Keldeo, nearly every mon that runs a solo water move and so on, tackling big threats for rain. Nothing much to say about this one other than well, you set up for free versus Poli, Chansey and Keld and click buttons.

An in-depth look:

:bw/tornadus:

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Focus Blast

One of my many rain abusers and also my main speed control, with prankster tailwind coming in clutch several times. Hurricane+Focus Blast is incredibly hard to wall, hitting everything almost neutrally. U-Turn is there for momentum, you get the picture. Moving on.

:bw/keldeo:

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Secret Sword

Completing the devastating rain breaker combo with Torn is Keld right here. I decided to run the infamous focus blast to KO mons that'd otherwise wall Keld or don't get wore down easily such as bulky Rotom-Wash and straight up OHKO'ing defensive Politoed with Specs Focus Blast, an impressive feat to say the least. Keld is also the mon that appreciates Tailwind support the most, being able to outrun scarf Latios and friends and revenge kill them if weakened enough. Set is standard enough, I'd say. Hydro for STAB, Scald for weaker, more reliable STAB, Secret Sword being the weaker, more reliable fighting move while Focus being the stronger, less reliable move. There is no need for anything else, say, coverage, I'd say, with rain boosted pump KOing "checks" such as Latios and Starmie and 2HKOing everything else.

:bw/politoed:

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Perish Song

The main rain setter and also my blanket check to mons like bulky grounds like Landorus-T. Set is standard as always, with Scald for obvious reasons, Toxic for the nice toxic poison, tect to scout and perish song as a last resort to set up sweepers and so on. Its also my more defensive check to mons like ttar, courtesy of its pure water typing, you get the picture for this one. It is to be noted that as I have no backup rain dancers or drizzle mons, toed is to be played more defensively and taken advantage of when a switch is forced, setting up rain and allowing for Keld and Torn to wreak havoc. Moving on.

:bw/Ferrothorn:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

My main defensive check to strong attackers such as Latios and also my hazards setter, Ferro does what Ferro does best, being able to wall mons outright. Though being extremely fat, Ferro's only "reliable recovery" is in Lefties and Leech Seed, making it crucial you don't switch into everything outright brainlessly without scouting. Power Whip allows Ferro to have some sort of offensive presence while Rocks and Spikes making it so Nite and Volc can't come in for free. Ferro also eases the Rotom mu, being vital for the team overall.

:bw/Starmie:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Being my only spinner and making it so I'm not complete hazards stack bait, Mie's played a role in this teams success overall. Aside from spin, nearly nothing can switch into Analytic LO Boltbeam+Water coverage. Surf under rain, stacking with LO and Analytic, makes for absolutely devastating wallbreaking and sweeping potential late game. I figured to run Thunder over Thunderbolt as rain will be up more often than not, hitting Jellicent extremely hard. I chose to run Surf over Hydro Pump as I feel risking the miss for just a tadbit of power difference wasn't really necessary for a team that'll probably have rain up more often than not if played well. Mie also KOs weakened Latios, easing the mu a bit and working together with Ferro to ease pressure. Its also one half of my Keld

:bw/Toxicroak:

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

And lastly, the main reason I even wrote the RMT in the first place. SD LO Croak is not to be underestimated. Dry Skin, along with rain, alongside Drain Punch makes Croak nearly impossible to wear down. Croak forms the other half of the "checking keld" core with Mie, easing pressure off of each other. Toxicroak also sets up on nearly every water and even Chansey, courtesy of Dry Skin and its typing. SD+Sucker makes for a really good late game cleaner, with Drain Punch being obvious STAB and the rest being coverage+priority. Croak can also take on Ferro, a big defensive threat to rain, courtesy of typing and Dry Skin, creating an opening for Torn and friends to sweep lategame.

Threatlist:

:thundurus therian:

This mon just clicks Nasty Plot and clicks buttons for a few turns, eventually leading to a loss if not played around properly.

:rotom wash: :jolteon: :magnezone:

Any electric type generally fucks this team over because of my lack of electric immune mons or special walls that can last throughout the long term besides Ferro and not get taken advantage of because of Volt Switch

:alakazam:

Alakazam is also a major problem child for the team as it basically just clicks focus blast and psychic until I manage to get a tailwind off and even then, a well played zam can straight up 6-0 if not careful enough.

:volcarona:

Although not as big as the above mons, Volc deserves a special mention as variants with giga drain, 6-0s with 1 or 2 boosts

:keldeo: :terrakion:

The above two also deserve a special mention as although they don't beat this team straight up, I have no good switch ins to Terrak and Keld under rain can be a menace. However, Torn can easily revenge kill both of them, along with Mie. Though, while scarf variants of Terrak and Keld lack as much power, they're still just as menacing late game.

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Focus Blast

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Secret Sword

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

As I do not have any good replays at this point in time saved, I apologize. More replays to come in the future. (So that was a fucking lie)

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi! While rain teams are kinda self-explanatory when we talk about building them you made a nice work with this rate, the team looks good and you have a proof of its success even if BW ladder is a bit tweaky and the teams you can find there aren't great most of the times.

But i have some suggestions that you could try to get your team to perform even better.

Set Upgrades / Minor Changes:

:Tornadus:Even if i don't think it's not good, i'm not a big fan of Life Orb Tornadus in BW since Regenerator isn't here to make your mon endure at long term, You could definately try to use Sharp Beak as the item, so clicking Hurricane you can make your opp think you're Specs and then surprise him with U-Turn or Focus, or Uturning against a mon you know it will protect to scout you and then you click Focus or Hurri to take advantage of this situation, it opens you a new window of possibilities to play around.

:Keldeo-Resolute: I would def consider making Keldeo Choice Scarf, since you lack Speed control a little bit, Rain Offensive Teams tend to be a bit fragile so a mon like Scarf Chomp could demolish your team at some point.

:Politoed: Since Poli is gonna be your main switch against ground types, and also fighting ones if rocks are up you made the right choose with a bulky set, but i still would recommend using Encore over Perish Song since it will help you a lot against defensive mons, Toxicroak itself which seems a big problem to your team, reuniclus who's also a big problem... Ice beam seems fair to mee too to help with Chomp.

:Ferrothorn: Maybe you could run Gyro/Bulldoze over Leech Seed, since you're vulnerable to almost every sub mon, for example kyurem, rachi, loom , thundu or toxicroak, Knock off would be a good option too since You seem to have problems with opposite Ferrothorn.

Major Changes:

:Excadrill: >> :Starmie:
Since you're lacking an electric immunity, a ground type, you're also relying too much on ferro, I suggest to try Exca, It would be a great addition, it's a more reliable spinner against Ferrothorn than Starmie, which was your main purpose to add the star, It will also help against Thundurus and Toxicroak

Your team was already good but i still recommend you give a try to the changes i gave you, hope you like, and good rmt!

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/467de705c454ee4d

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)