SM UU Offensive Mega Sceptile Monkeying Around

Team Composition:

I was running a stall team and it has a huge problem with Freeze Dry Mamoswine. So I went to the mamoswine page and saw it does good when partnered with Mega Sceptile. So I immediately started team building an offensive team along side Mega Sceptile. It's been fun applying constant pressure to teams with the combination of Sceptile +Mamowsine.

Team at a Glance:

Team Summary:

Crocodile (Krookodile) (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Description: My stealth rocker lead to get the ball rolling. He hits hard off the bat while setting up stealth rock that turns alot of uncertain OHKOs into guarenteed OHKOs. Namely this very important sitauation:
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manectric-Mega: 277-327 (98.5 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
With Stealth Rock on the field that makes it a guarantee OHKO. I wish I saved the replay where I lost because Manectric survived by %1.
Anyways back to Krookodile. I originally had rocky helmet on there but I found the extra power from Groundium-Z gives it an extra umph as a last ditch effort in case I need something weakened. Looking at you Hippo!!

Break (Mamoswine) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Description: My stall Breaker. Very few things in this tier can handle the combination of EQ+Freeze dry+ Icicle Crash. After getting demolished by this guy I can see the power behind it and why it's a top tier threat. Ice shard also helps against two of my team's biggest weakness. M-Altaria and Togekiss.

Link (Sceptile) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake/Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]/ Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Description: Now for the star of the show. Mega Sceptile is an underrated pokemon in this tier. Being one of the best mixed sweepers it is capable of causing many 2HKOs on the switch and cleaning up a game without any set up. Originally I didn't have HP Fire+EQ instead favored Giga Drain+Focus Blast. After much use I found myself only clicking focus blast predicting the Scizor switch in and rarely clicking/needing the use for Giga Drain as how Sceptile hits fast and dies fast. With the large amount of scizor in the tier as soon as I switched from Focus Blast-> HP Fire, I never looked back. hitting scizor on the switch or in my face thinking I was going to switch has been a huge success for me. EQ Nails Muk and Empoleon, comfortably 2HKOing them both on the switch.

Zero (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Knock Off

Description: My "Defensive" Pivot. While the EVs are slower. I wanted a more bulkier and slower U-turn so that my pokemon can get a safer switch in. Defog is on there exclusively for sticky web which otherwise destroys my team. I'm thinking of just switching this over to a bulky scizor all around but the power of CB bullet punch helps alot in a pinch.

Zendaya (Primarina) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Liquid Voice
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Hyper Voice/Scald
- Psychic

Description: Boy do I love her! Being able to switch in and just click Moonblast or Hydro Pump without much risk feels amazing. With the exception of empoleon and Blissey, most teams don't have an answer to her once she's in. Why Hyper Voice? Sub Chandlure scares my team. While they think they are safe to scout my Primarina. I nail them with a Super effective Hyper Voice. After using Primarina, I've never clicked scald once wishing I had Hyper Voice. So that was a good switch up there. It breaks things down to make it easier for Sceptile and infernape to sweep.

Sun Wukong (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

Description: Last but not least we have Sun Wukon my set up sweeper. I wanted a fire type to round off the Fire/Water/Grass core. Originally I had A-Marowak. He was decent but I felt I could do better. I chose infernape originally as a scarfer but found myself in too many opportunities where I had the chance to set a Sword Dance ftw. Alot of choiced pokemon give it the opportunity to set up. Looking at you scizor/Hydriegon/ and other Infernape. Thanks for the wins.

Threat List:

Togekiss: Specifically Scarf versions. I've only ran into two but damn did both of them sweep my team without even any thought. Just by presence along I Sceptile is a complete liability preventing me from even switching him in until Togekiss is down.

Almolmola: While Sceptile switches in %90 of the time. But also that 90% of the time they have something that can switch in on Sceptile. It's a very tricky pokemon to play around against and wear down. Without SR and prediction, Freeze dry can be play around with if my opponent is smart enough.

Darminitan: Scarf Flare blitz hurts alot. Thankfully it wears itself down before it can do major damage to my team. If I play it right it gives me a set up op for my infernape.

Moltres: Without SR on the field this gets a free switch in on the majority of my pokemon. And with prior damage Primarina is KOed by Z-Hurricane.

Sticky web: As stated with Scizor. Scizor only carries defog exclusively for sticky web. A slower Sceptile and infernape might as well be dead ones. And with the loss of speed from the rest of my team, it makes hitting alot harder.

Agility Metagross: I've only ran into one and it did not go well. Thank goodness that's not common otherwise it would be red.

Mega Pidgeot: Most of the time it can be worn down by priority, SR and revenge killing. But when it comes in, I usually have to sack something first once it gets in.

As you can see from my threat list I have a problem with Flying and fire types. Primarina can only do so much to stop them.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey! Mega Sceptile is one of my fav mons so I've always had a big bias towards it, this is a cool team but I do see some issues with it so let's see. First off the Krook set probably just makes building more of a pain due to having 2 grounds for next to no real reason b/c both can viably run rocks fine. Your Scizor also has Defog on a cb set which kinda just invites threats to come in for free, on top of that it lacks Pursuit making the Lati/Maero matchup a lot shakier. On top of that the team also lacks a ground immunity. It covers a decent chunk of the meta but the way the team is comprised is executed rather poorly in terms of role compression and I think I can help you with that nwn.

- We're moving rocks onto Mamoswine > Freeze Dry for role compression and to give the team a lot more breathing room in general. Tentacruel > Krook makes sense to have removal that isn't suboptimal and a solid Scizor check which the team needs pretty badly aside from Infernape. Toxic Spikes also helps with stall matchup a bit and I'm running Z Haze due to no other mon on the team really needing a z move. Oh and I'm running a lot of speed to outspeed Moltres due to the lack of rock types on the team making the matchup kinda annoying.
Tentacruel @ Icium Z
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

- Togekiss > Primarina works well here to give a much needed ground immunity, and it improves your stall matchup so so much now w/o Freeze Dry on Mamoswine. Togekiss also keeps the fairy typing which is important for the Hydreigon matchup, while also supplying Heal Bell support for the team which I think is pretty important.
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Smaller changes:
- As stated before, Stealth Rock > Freeze Dry on Mamo for role compression purposes, just makes everything easier.
- Choice Scarf > LO SD on Nape, this fits well with CB Scizor for a U-Turn core and it's great at dealing with steels + is very reliable speed control. Going with Stone Edge in the last slot b/c of how shaky the Moltres and bird matchup in general is with no flying resist.
- Standard CB Scizor > this, just changing the EVs around to outspeed Klefki while still having a lot of bulk, and going Pursuit + Superpower > Defog + Knock Off.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Tentacruel @ Icium Z
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

So yeah I think this is a much more optimal build imo. One thing that's worrying is the lack of flying resist, prioritize rocks early in games and pressure them as much as you can with Scizor + Mamo + etc etc. It's a doable matchup but definitely but you just gotta be careful and pressure shit offensively. Lmk if you have any questions! I hope this helps :)

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, cool team. I feel like there are ways to improve it, such as what vivalospride did with the role compression. I also think that the matchup against certain threats could be improved.
  • Just like what vivalospride did, I think that Stealth Rock > Freeze-Dry on Mamoswine is better for the role compression of the team. It also really isn't that necessary with both Alomomola and Primarina beating Water-types.
  • That, and the fact there's no Ground-immunity made me replace Hydreigon > Krookodile. It also gets access to Defog and it reliably deals with Ghost-types like Chandelure and Decidueye that pose threats. I decided to go with Z-Belch because this way Hydreigon lures in Fairy-types for Mega Sceptile.
  • I changed Infernape's item to Choice Scarf with Stone Edge to lure in Moltres. I think that it is required for your team to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl and opposing Mega Sceptile that are currently huge threats.
  • Now that there's no wincon, I changed Scizor's set to Swords Dance + Roost with Bug Bite. This heavily improves the matchup against slower teams, and because your only Steel-type is Scizor, the team appreciates it staying as healthy as possible.
  • Lastly, in order to switch into Pokemon like Infernape and Moltres better, I decided that changing Primarina's set to defensive would help. I also think that it's a necessity in order to not lose to Swords Dance Scizor. The team has enough wallbreakers in Mega Sceptile, Hydreigon, and Scizor, anyway.

Hydreigon @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Belch
- Defog

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

I hope that the rate helped, feel free to hit me up if there's any question.

Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you both for the contributions. After some testing with both of your teams and some modifications, I made some changes to my team which helped ALOT. Here are the permanent changes to my team.

1538712210449.png
Stealth Rock<- Freeze Dry. You two were right. Krookodile plus Mamoswine was almost redundant. And Mamoswine cause enough pressure to keep Stealth Rock on the field

1538712364779.png
Hydreigon <- Krookdile. With Mamoswine now being my dedicated SR, No need for Krookdile plus Hydreigon has more of an offensive presence along with some nice support with defog in case I run into Sticky web. I'm on the fence about Z-Superpower or Z-Belch. Z-superpower breaks through Blissey+Almo core. But Z-Belch dispatches Faires which makes Sceptile's and Infernape's job alot easier. Can't prepare for everything but I would like advice on those two?

1538712935540.png
Togekiss <- Primarina While I am sad to see Primarina go because it was a really good core member of my team, Togekiss fills the role of stall breaker much better. After one nasty plot boost and some weakened steel types, it can be GG for a stall team just by its presence alone.

1538713201198.png
Choice scarf<- Life orb Physical attacker Being that this is a new team, speed control+U-turn with scizor helps ALOT. Z-Belch from Hydreigon makes Cleaning up teams with Close Combat alot easier. There are times I could've won with Life orb nape but will see how long I do keep this set in the long run.

A Good replay showing what Z-Belch can do

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen7uu-815637010

Again thank you two for your inputs on my team. :) They helped alot and increased my win ratio

My team thus far
Break (Mamoswine) (F) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Hydreigon @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Belch
- Defog

Zero (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Knock Off

Link (Sceptile) (M) @ Sceptilite
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Sun Wukong (Infernape) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
[\hide]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)