Other Metagames Partners in Heat Stroke (Currently #4)

So, I'm currently sitting #4 on the ladder with this team and, while it's been an absolute blast, I felt it was time to move on to another build. This team is absolutely MONSTROUSLY powerful once it gets momentum going and focuses on setting up sun and abusing it in every way possible. Chlorophyll sets up 2x speed for anyone on the field with Venusaur, Heatran + Victini provide incredibly powerful sun-boosted Eruption and V-create, and Malamar helps boost the teams stats through attacks instead of setup moves.

THE TEAM:

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Earthquake
- Roost

One look at the rest of the team makes it obvious that this is a sun team, and Char-Y is the sun setter, often being paired with Venusaur for a turn 1 Chlorophyll boost. Venusaur comes with protect so I can scout for fake outs on either mon. Despite being the team's mega, Charizard is actually not one of the premiere threats, so it's all the more satisfying when many opponents target him out of fear. The set itself is a standard OU set with Heat wave swapped for wide coverage. Thanks to Charizard and Venusuar's combined typing and the Chlorophyll boost, this duo turns into a massive immediate threat resisted by very few opponents and outsped only by priority. One thing to note is that since Char-Y gains drought after it mega evolves, it can better fight other weather teams by delaying mega evolution or switching in more teammates to activate drought again. Meanwhile, Venusaur offers Giga Drain and useful resistances/STABs for taking on rain and sand, with the bulk and power to survive and take out opposing weather setters.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Venusaur brings the chlorophyll boost, good coverage with sludge bomb, and fantastic utility with protect and leech seed. Leech seed shuts down opposing simple + cosmic power, Recycle/Pickup/Harvest + pinch berry, or other tanky setups if I can't get Malamar in for a Topsy-Turvy. I opted for leech seed over synthesis because it offered a more offensive method of healing and often forced switches or sacks, pushing the momentum further in my favor. The IVs give Venusaur Hidden power Ice if it's paired with Heatran so they can both fight off dragons and/or flying types that resist Fire while maintaining a Chlorophyll boost.

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

I specifically added Weavile because I needed a way to stop opposing Noivern + Mega Salamence leads, whose dragon types resisted Venusaur and Charizard and OHKO with fast Boomburst spam. If I see that duo, I lead Weavile + Malamar, turning the intimidate into a free Swords Dance thanks to Contrary and OHKOing even relatively bulkier builds with ice shard:
+2 252 Atk Weavile Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Salamence-Mega: 396-468 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Malamar Ice Shard vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 336-396 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Only guaranteed up to 100 HP investment)

Icicle Crash nets OHKOs in the event that Salamence runs Moxie, but also provides a stronger physical Ice attack for the team. Knock Off is fantastic stab coverage and crushes opposing psychic/ghost types, while Fake out eases prediction, allows for easier guaranteed KOs, and lets any partner switch in and let one loose to keep the momentum in my favor.

Victini @ Assault Vest
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Stored Power
- U-turn

Victini is the real powerhouse of this team, bringing incredibly powerful coverage moves off a decent 100 base speed and fantastic bulk thanks to Assault Vest. V-create is the go-to move, yielding an insane 270 BP STAB in sun, and if Malamar isn't already on the field, I can still switch it in when Victini uses V-Create to grab the boosts and surprise opponents. After just 1 V-Create, Victini becomes an incredibly fast and bulky threat, while Superpower from Malamar boosts Victini's attack to terrifying level. Stored Power lets Victini fire off an insanely powerful secondary STAB on physical walls or Flash Fire mons, while Bolt Strike and U-turn fill in Victini's standard movepool and form a solid BoltBeam coverage with Weavile.

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Topsy-Turvy
- Destiny Bond / Simple Beam

Malamar is the linchpin of the team, with its ability allowing any of its teammates to receive boosts from Superpower, V-create, or Overheat. Victini is the best pairing since V-create adds bulk and speed, which Malamar greatly appreciates for outpacing non-scarfed opponents. Knock Off is a fantastic utility and having 2 mons with it lets me always have access to its disruptiveness. Malamar was my primary choice for a Contrary user thanks to its better typing, resistance to Prankster, access to Topsy-Turvy to stop opposing setup or reverse Victini's V-create if it fires without Malamar on the field, and access to Simple Beam which can double the effectiveness of all stat changes for both Malamar and its partner. More often than not, though, it's harder to justify using Simple Beam instead of firing off multiple superpowers or v-creates (not to mention V-create loses 100% accuracy), and thus Destiny Bond is the move of choice here, turning 2HKOs+ into guaranteed OHKOs in a pinch. That being said, Simple Beam can quickly push Victini to absolutely insane stat boosts in just 2 turns, adding 120 to Stored Power's BP after each V-Create!

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Quiet Nature / Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Eruption / Overheat
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran suffers from 6th slot syndrome, but ultimately has worked for me thus far. I often had trouble with opposing sun teams or flash fire mons like Arcanine or opposing heatran, who would enter the field and force me into using weaker attacks to disrupt my momentum. With Heatran by my side, I can put up an equally annoying wall against opposing flash fire mons and counter with my movepool. Earth power helps smack Arcanine and opposing heatran, but is more of a utility for partner Charizard or Venusaur, who can more freely it off without fear of being outsped since the Eruption event Heatran forces you into a Quiet nature. Venusaur is the most notable partner here since Chlorophyll will let Heatran outspeed nearly all opposing Flash Fire mons and Heatran's Flash Fire eliminates one of Venusaur's weaknesses completely. This pairing is the main reason I opted for Eruption (and its mandatory Quiet nature) over Overheat, since I can outpace nearly everything and brainlessly spam Eruption against non Flash Fire teams. Alternatively, you can opt for Overheat with a Timid Nature, providing +2 SpA to itself or Victini (via Malamar switch-in), but missing out on hitting both opponents can be seriously dangerous, and the 10% drop in accuracy could be a game-ending difference.

------------------------------------------------

Altogether, this team synergizes extremely well with every combination of teammates on the field able to provide some utility to each other. The general course of action is to send out Char-Y + Venusaur and inflict some immediate damage, letting Charizard faint or swapping it for Victini on a safe switch. Once Victini is in with Venusaur, I can immediately fire off a V-create at double speed while swapping venusaur out for Malamar so I receive the boosts. This always ensures Victini is at an effective +1 or +2 speed so it can move freely. At this point both Malamar and Victini can simply let loose and shred the opposing teams apart with Fire + Fighting coverage. Weavile is an anti-matchup choice while Heatran provides backup once someone faints.

I haven't really run into many things that pose a real threat to this team, but some notable things to watch out for would be:
- Feint + Accelerock: This OHKOs Char-Y and sets a timer on your sun boosts. This can be remedied once Victini + Malamar get going but it puts more pressure on them.
- Opposing Chlorophyll/Speed Boost: Venusaur is not a fast boi and can be outsped and OHKOd by base 108+ mons at +1 speed.
- Flash Fire: I mentioned my ways around opposing flash fire mons, but it goes without saying that it's still an annoyance. If Heatran falls or Superpower boosts aren't enough to get me by, I can be in serious trouble.

Let me know what you think and of any improvements you have!

https://pokepast.es/d9dc117b22fefd78

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)