Other Metagames Polaris

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

POLARIS

Hello, I'm here to showcase a team that has given my team three wins and is undefeated in Monotype Premier League. This is basically a standard hazard stacking Fairy-type team but with a few changes in sets and spreads, which I will explain in detail. So without further ado, here's the team:
Team at a glance

Without further ado, let's move on with the team:

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Diancie is the standard Stealth Rock setter and a powerful hard hitter as well. I didn't add Protect because a lot of people try to predict the Protect and try to switch to their Diancie check, which makes me take advantage of that. I also added Stealth Rock to it, because I want to run Calm Mind Clefable and not an offensive Life Orb set. Earth Power is for Heatran while Diamond Storm and Moonblast are mandatory hard hitting STAB moves.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play

Here's another weird set I used this MPL, non Thunder Wave Klefki. The reason for that is almost the same as Diancie, people get paranoid of the Thunder Wave and try to switch into a Pokemon that doesn't care about the paralysis or are immune to it, giving me free turns to set up Spikes. Reflect and Light Screen are obvious, giving the team overall support. Foul Play is to punish set up sweepers, especially because once the opponent finds out the three other moves, they will assume the last slot is Thunder Wave, and try to set up.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Azumarill really appreciates the hazard stacking and screens support from Klefki and Diancie. This gives Azumarill a relatively easy opportunity to set up with Belly Drum despite having no bulk. I'm running max Speed mainly because I want to Speed creep other Azumarills. Knock Off is used, as it can KO Ferrothorn after Stealth Rocks. Play Rough and Aqua Jet are obvious STAB moves. Azumarill is also my wincon against Fire-, Ground-, Rock-, Steel-, and Flying-type teams, as it has a nice matchup against them.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is the team's primary bulky setup sweeper, as it functions greatly behind screens and appreciates hazard stacking as well. The EV spread makes Clefable be physically defensive while Speed EVs make it creep other Clefables. The sets are fairly standard, Flamethrower is for Steel-type teams that have a great matchup versus Fairy-types. Clefable is my win con versus Dark-, Normal-, Water-, Psychic-, Fairy-, Bug-, and Ice-type teams, as they have little for Clefable apart from giving a choiced item via Trick.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Gardevoir is the primary revenge killer of the team. Trace is a very useful ability, as it can beat Excadrill in sand, checks Thundurus-Therian and Intimidate users as well. Healing Wish is used over Trick because the team isn't really weak to fat walls and thus Trick doesn't have much use. Healing Wish also gives me a second chance to win with a Pokemon that has been worn down, which is very useful for Fairy-type teams. The rest of the moves are standard, so they're self explanatory. Gardevoir also acts as a primary cleaner for the team, especially after Azumarill and Clefable weakened everything. Always lead with Gardevoir versus Steel-type teams, as they usually lead with Magnezone, and you can trap it and heavily damage it with Focus Blast.

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 36 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Okay this is where things get very weird. First off Babiri Berry Togekiss is a God, as it can beat Mega Scizor and Bisharp which are a pain to deal with for Fairy-type teams. The EV spread ensures Togekiss will not be KOed by +2 max Attack Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor, while the Speed EVs are used to outspeed Jolly Bisharp and Breloom. Fire Blast KOes Scizor and Aura Sphere is a safe way to KO Bisharp because if you miss Fire Blast you're sacking a few Pokemon to beat Bisharp. The best thing about this set is that it bluffs Choice Scarf, so the opponent will switch into their Steel-type Pokemon and take a great deal of damage by Fire Blast.

Conclusion

So here's the team, it really impressed me as it is undefeated in MPL. Here are the replays of MPL games this team had been used in:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-348939371 vs DolphinDude14
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-336980127 vs Chakra
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-340435421 vs ArkenCiel

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Diancie @ Diancite
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Last edited:

POLARIS

Hello, I'm here to showcase a team that has given my team three wins and is undefeated in Monotype Premier League. This is basically a standard hazard stacking Fairy-type team but with a few changes in sets and spreads, which I will explain in detail. So without further ado, here's the team:
Team at a glance

Without further ado, let's move on with the team:

Diancie @ Diancite
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Diancie is the standard Stealth Rock setter and a powerful hard hitter as well. I didn't add Protect because a lot of people try to predict the Protect and try to switch to their Diancie check, which makes me take advantage of that. I also added Stealth Rock to it, because I want to run Calm Mind Clefable and not an offensive Life Orb set. Earth Power is for Heatran while Diamond Storm and Moonblast are mandatory hard hitting STAB moves.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play

Here's another weird set I used this MPL, non Thunder Wave Klefki. The reason for that is almost the same as Diancie, people get paranoid of the Thunder Wave and try to switch into a Pokemon that doesn't care about the paralysis or are immune to it, giving me free turns to set up Spikes. Reflect and Light Screen are obvious, giving the team overall support. Foul Play is to punish set up sweepers, especially because once the opponent finds out the three other moves, they will assume the last slot is Thunder Wave, and try to set up.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Azumarill really appreciates the hazard stacking and screens support from Klefki and Diancie. This gives Azumarill a relatively easy opportunity to set up with Belly Drum despite having no bulk. I'm running max Speed mainly because I want to Speed creep other Azumarills. Knock Off is used, as it can KO Ferrothorn after Stealth Rocks. Play Rough and Aqua Jet are obvious STAB moves. Azumarill is also my wincon against Fire-, Ground-, Rock-, Steel-, and Flying-type teams, as it has a nice matchup against them.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is the team's primary bulky setup sweeper, as it functions greatly behind screens and appreciates hazard stacking as well. The EV spread makes Clefable be physically defensive while Speed EVs make it creep other Clefables. The sets are fairly standard, Flamethrower is for Steel-type teams that have a great matchup versus Fairy-types. Clefable is my win con versus Dark-, Normal-, Water-, Psychic-, Fairy-, Bug-, and Ice-type teams, as they have little for Clefable apart from giving a choiced item via Trick.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Gardevoir is the primary revenge killer of the team. Trace is a very useful ability, as it can beat Excadrill in sand, checks Thundurus-Therian and Intimidate users as well. Healing Wish is used over Trick because the team isn't really weak to fat walls and thus Trick doesn't have much use. Healing Wish also gives me a second chance to win with a Pokemon that has been worn down, which is very useful for Fairy-type teams. The rest of the moves are standard, so they're self explanatory. Gardevoir also acts as a primary cleaner for the team, especially after Azumarill and Clefable weakened everything. Always lead with Gardevoir versus Steel-type teams, as they usually lead with Magnezone, and you can trap it and heavily damage it with Focus Blast.

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Okay this is where things get very weird. First off Babiri Berry Togekiss is a God, as it can beat Mega Scizor and Bisharp which are a pain to deal with for Fairy-type teams. The EV spread ensures Togekiss will not be KOed by +2 max Attack Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor, while the Speed EVs are used to outspeed Jolly Bisharp and Breloom. Fire Blast KOes Scizor and Aura Sphere is a safe way to KO Bisharp because if you miss Fire Blast you're sacking a few Pokemon to beat Bisharp. The best thing about this set is that it bluffs Choice Scarf, so the opponent will switch into their Steel-type Pokemon and take a great deal of damage by Fire Blast.

Conclusion

So here's the team, it really impressed me as it is undefeated in MPL. Here are the replays of MPL games this team had been used in:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-348939371 vs DolphinDude14
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-336980127 vs Chakra
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-340435421 vs ArkenCiel

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Diancie @ Diancite
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Hey Arifeen, great team! I have a couple suggestions though that you could possibly give a spin:

First thing you could try is using Specs/CM Sylveon>Clefable. I think the additional hard hitter would really benefit you quite a bit (not to mention spamming Hyper Voice can be pretty satisfying in a sense lol).I feel on the special side you do lack some wallbreaking power, and Specs Sylveon would be able to give you immediate loads of damage as opposed to having to boost Clefable first.

If you want to keep Clefable though, I think Unaware would really benefit you. In the last replay it was pretty close seeing Gyarados was getting dangerous (now ik it does have Moldbreaker, but, nonetheless), this can really help you, especially vs very dangerous sweepers like Manaphy and opposing Azumarill, and able able to stall them out so they'll be much more managable.

That's all I got, love the Togekiss set, and I think regardless of my thoughts it could make a great sample team! GL :)

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hey feen, cool team! Nice MPL record with this team, here's a rate!

The first thing I noticed was your no protect diancie. While I do believe it is pretty cool, it really only safely gets the mega off if your opponent predicts the protect and switches out, which is extremely risky. (Ex: zard y stays in and solar beams and you do not outspeed initially.) It isn't worth the risk imo when you can just play it safe with the standard protect set which is amazing as it scouts for any moves that could potentially scare you out and is just extremely safe and helps preserve dian so I would definitely go Protect > Rocks on dian and you should move the HP EVs back into spatk for maximum power.

Now that you have no rocks on your team, I would definitely change Clefable to Stealth Rocks 2 attacks and softboiled. Stealth rocks are, after all, a complete neccesity on most mono teams as they help in unfortunate matchups, your case being fire, flying, and bug, which I'm sure you understand already. The next two moves are Moonblast and Flamethrower. Moonblast for stab to hit relatively hard and flamethrower to help you with the steel matchup vs threats like scizor and bish to name a few. However, if those mons have any boosts in attack clef usually dies. Thus, I'd reccommend Babiri Berry, just like on togekiss. The steel matchup is not impossible to beat especially with this item as it allows clef to chew a super effective hit really easily and deal good damage. This set helps with any mon with steel coverage or stab though, such as mons Excadrill on ground and scizor on bug as they take a bunch from flamethrower and you definitely chew a hit.

Last thing I noticed was your Azu EV Spread. Although I've noticed that many monotype players run max speed bd azu, I'd actually advise against it. The set was really only for outspeeding the syandard azu speed set that creeps Skarm but with everyone using it now, the purpose is kind of useless and relies on speed tieing. Therefore, you should revert back to the set so you can still preserve the necessary bulk and still outspeed what it needs to, mainly being skarm. Being able to set up belly drum on most things due to the added bulk seems really helpful.​

Well, I hope this was helpful, here are the sets!
Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)