Power Offense

A glance

==================================================

I've always preferred a very offensive style of play. I firmly believe that the best kind of defense is constant offensive pressure. This team is built around the concept of offensive pressure and busting huge holes in teams for my most potent sweeper to rush through. My sweeper of choice- Jaroda with a choice scarf. I poke and prod with my other attackers to scout and eliminate the one or two pokemon on any given team that Jaroda can't TRAIN WRECK with a +2 and/or +4 leaf storm. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, you are right.

Some Depth

Changes will be made in Bold

Gigaisu @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Perfect lead for the the team. A team built around offense, especially an offense built around grass type attacks, NEEDS stealth rock up. This is a fairly reliable way to get them up with sturdy and very sturdy defenses. Now you might be wondering, "Hey, there are more reliable ways to get stealth rocks up," and you'd be correct. However, this team is all about breaking chunks out of defensive cores to make each one of my sweepers that much more valuable by taking away a counter to something. Custap berry, explosion, very high attack, and very powerful moves ensure that he takes something out with it. And before you say it, yes I know there are little gimmicky ways around custap/sturdy/stealth rocks like espeon, but just use your brain and you can usually work around those tricks and usually end up with an advantage with such an offensively oriented team.

Latios @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse/Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Yes, I am aware that this latios has a very odd, and seemingly useless movepool, but that is its greatest strength. I usually switch this bad boy in on something like a hippowdon using earthquake or a shandera after an overheat, but the idea is really just to get him in on something that will be scared of it and likely not harm it at all. On the predicted switch, calm mind. Now, the whole idea is to eliminate counters to Jaroda. If he has a Natty (It seems like all of them do), he will send it out, allowing you to blow a HUGE hole in his team and really most people's only counter to latios. Surf gives great coverage alongside dragon pulse, latios' STAB move of choice. Also, with Natty surely eliminated, there remain only a couple counters to the Water/Dragon combo. Not a top knotch, end-game sweeper, but he can really break down a team's defensive core in mid-game scenarios.

Roobushin @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy
Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback
Roobushin is really my offensive version of a physical, defensive presence. I needed something to take down all the steels that give Leaf Storm abuse a hard time. The give EV's make his attack and defense equal, and they give him monstrous bulk. He can eat outrages from chomp, earthquakes from dorry, and just about every other physical assault in the game. He can do that all while boosting his attack and defense with bulk up, and recovering more HP with drain punch. It all leads up to a sweet, sweet mach punch sweep if you make it that far (and with guts+bulk up, it isn't that hard).

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
This guy is clutch. There are so many fast, powerful threats in this generation that are 4x weak to ice and that's why Mamoswine is climbing up there as a top physical sweeper in Gen V OU. He eliminates the two dragons that give Jaroda the most trouble, the dragon/flying ones. He can also revenge kill Chomp and Rando in a pinch. Overall, it's never bad to have an insanely powerful earthquake to batter the other team with. Add that to STAB priority, and you have yourself a keeper on my team. Superpower and Stone Edge do what they do which is really just pick up the slack where ICE/GROUND can't cover. I absolutely love having him on the team because he is consistent and it's just something that many teams don't prepare for. He is able to find holes in teams and exploit them, all while destroying the few remaining Jaroda counters.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Change
- Reflect/Light Screen
Rotom-W is a goofball. He has an incredible defensive typing as well as a perfect ability for that typing. This leaves him with one weakness, Grass. However, the most common grass type attack is grass knot, which hits him for 20 or 40 (can't remember, sorry). Also, he gets rid of the final counter to Jaroda...HEATRAN! He is built to take special attacks with resistances to ice, fire, water, flying, and neutrality to electric attacks. The beauty of that list is that many of those attacking types are used in conjunction with each other for coverage...on special attackers. This means that he is able to effectively wall a laundry(lol) list of attackers and support the team with reflect. To top it off, he has very decent special attack to abuse hydro pump with! As is the common theme with my team, Rotom-W certainly isn't the best special wall, but he does exactly what I need, which is elimnate heatran and provide a good pivot point for the next sweeper.

Jaroda @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Perversity
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk /252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Leech Seed
- Glare
Well, this is what everything has built up to. The chosen one. Jaroda. The first time you read the effect of "Perversity", the first thing any sane person thought was "God a pokemon with draco meteor better not get this." While leaf storm has the same base power and effect with perversity, it has considerably worse coverage (grass has the most 4x resistances). Let's see... Steel, Flying, Fire, Grass, Poison, bug and Dragon all resist grass. Fortunately, the rest of my team is designed to counter these types. When the time is right, I send Jaroda out there and start up the leaf storm machine and see how much carnage he can rack up. With choice scarf and very high base speed, he is able to outpace almost everything in the game that is a problem. If played properly, it's likely GG.

I'm digging the pun under Rotom-W's description. Under Jaroda, I believe you mean "draco meteor", not "dragon pulse". Magical leaf is relatively useless to the best of my knowledge, other than for hitting evasion boosters = why use it? *checks move pool* oh. Consider replacing it with something else..you could switch around the HP rock to another (fire? ground?) and replace the magical leaf with twister (for those 4x resistant to grass dragons).

Thank you I changed the dragon pulse mistake. And yeah...magical leaf is really just a relic of the days where inconsistent octillery was on the prowl and I needed it to come through. But Hidden power rock is kind of necessary because the only pokemon that i tend to have a little trouble with is ulgamoth, which is pretty easy to predict when it's Jaroda.

I'm actually really digging your Latios. Used properly, and considering Choiced items are the standard atm, you're going to wreck teams with surprise and not being locked into one move.

I think you'll find Roopushin can tank much longer by investing in it's special defense. Getting a Bulk Up isn't difficult at all, and combined with Leftovers and Drain Punch it isn't hard to survive any physical attacker really after just one BU. Everyone targets Roopushin specially, and you'll fall far too quickly without seriously investing in it. Try this EV spread of Adamant 68 HP / 192 At / 258 SpD. You'll have a lefties HP number, 400 Attack to give you far more oomph, and enough special defense to survive non STAB Psychics and Timid Shadera Overheat. Stone Edge is also superior to Payback. It kills the Ghosts just as easily and lets you hit Ulgamoth, Gyarados, Salamence etc.

Choice Band is probably a better option on Mamoswine imo.

Otherwise the team is pretty good. You have an objective and you've designed pokemon dedicated to getting it done that can quite easily trick the standards of this metagame.

I liked your team and the concept behind it.

Just 2 things:

Is Superpower legal along with Thick Fat (DW ability)?

What is up with Jaroda's movepool?

Yeah all the moves are legal as far as I know. And to answer your question about Jaroda's movepool: just look at its special movepool....it's completely empty. And >99% of the time I just use leaf storm because it will eventually be more powerful than anything else he can use against anything

Can't you use Glare instead of of the moves in the the last 2 moveslots? You can use the hit and run strategy and the paralyzing is very useful. Although, from what've seen, you keep your Jaroda hidden until it is fully able to sweep, so you might just ignore my suggestion x)

That's not a bad idea at all majorgambit. It's not like I ever use the other moves anyway, so if it comes in handy at least once, it's worth it

EDIT: and i temporarily changed roobs ev's to specially defensive to see if it's worth it

No, it's not. Mamoswine gets Superpower from the GenIV move trainers, and there's no way to get that at the same time as a Dream World ability.
Well I can use it and there are no conflicts on the servers. I think I can teach it to swinub and then trade it to 5th generation or something. So...wrong

UPDATE: I'm currently sitting at #86 on the ladder with a score of 1433, so it appears as if this team is working at least a little

If you can use superpower, it's through an error. It IS illegal, and I would recommend changing it to Icicle Drop
Well, I'm going to have to respectfully disregard your recommendation. Even if it is illegal, it would be smarter to just change the ability and keep superpower. In order to have another weapon against natty and overzealous dorrys trying to SD

Well, I'm going to have to respectfully disregard your recommendation. Even if it is illegal, it would be smarter to just change the ability and keep superpower. In order to have another weapon against natty and overzealous dorrys trying to SD
It can't KO with Superpower anyway, and Thick Fat is very useful as an ice resist for his team. I question why you are running Giga drain at all on Jalorda, and would recommend a Sub set with Leaf Storm over a scarfer, and it is pretty fast, and once it eliminates its counters, it can easily sweep

It can't KO with Superpower anyway, and Thick Fat is very useful as an ice resist for his team. I question why you are running Giga drain at all on Jalorda, and would recommend a Sub set with Leaf Storm over a scarfer, and it is pretty fast, and once it eliminates its counters, it can easily sweep
1) It's not about a OHKO with superpower; it's more about the ~75% damage it does as a last resort

2) That's a good question haha. To be 100% honest with you it's really just a random thing to use when i send Jaroda in against something 4x weak to grass that will either die miserably to any grass attack or switch out. It's just to gain a little extra HP pre-sweep.

3) Choice scarf is non-negotiable. The fairly short list of counters grows exponentially when you take away his most underrated/surprising asset, the ability to outspeed everyone

Maybe replace Giga Drain with Leech Seed. Giga Drain isn't doing anything, and leech seed can help force switches or support your team, and you can bluff being a sub seeder, which could help you surprise the opponent when you use scarfed Leaf Storm.

That's a pretty good idea. Genesect is public enemy #1 for this team at the moment. Between glare and leech seed, I can go a long way in wearing it down every time it switches in on me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)