Prevailing attitudes regarding OU as being the "Best"

Bull. Who outclasses Clefable? Ambipom? Dugtrio? Lanturn? etc etc.

For Pokemon A to completely outclass Pokemon B, A must have higher stats than B, a competitive movepool that includes everything B learns, and the same ability as B unless B has only a useless ability.
For example, according to that definition, Manaphy outclasses Phione. Manaphy's base stats are all 100 each to Phione's 80 each, Manaphy has a wider movepool (including access to Tail Glow), for the same typing (pure Water) and same ability (Hydration), which is the very reason why Manaphy is uber and Phione is NU.

Bull. Who outclasses Clefable? Ambipom? Dugtrio? Lanturn? etc etc.

For Pokemon A to completely outclass Pokemon B, A must have higher stats than B, a competitive movepool that includes everything B learns, and the same ability as B unless B has only a useless ability.
I posted "Almost" in big bold letters because I know some UU/NU pokemon aren't outclassed, but most of them are. There may not be any pokemon that can perform their niche roles better, but there are Pokemon that do much better at performing similar roles.

Look at Charizard, he is one of the most potent sweepers in the game, but Stealth rock greatly hinders his usefulness and most people prefer Salamence, Gyrados, or Dragonite.

I posted "Almost" in big bold letters because I know some UU/NU pokemon aren't outclassed, but most of them are. There may not be any pokemon that can perform their niche roles better, but there are Pokemon that do much better at performing similar roles.

Look at Charizard, he is one of the most potent sweepers in the game, but Stealth rock greatly hinders his usefulness and most people prefer Salamence, Gyrados, or Dragonite.
Yes, LOOK at charizard. With an ingrain pass (and a sub) from Smeargle, and Odd HP, BellyZard is invincible!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't really get the point of topic. Maybe it's just me but I get the impression that you are just mad at the pokemon in OU. I mean I hate it too when people make fun of UU/NU pokemon.

(EX: Typhlosion? Stop using a crappy Heatran!)
But to make a topic about it?

Sure I agree that pokemon in UU/NU aren't bad. (they function in their own metagame unless it's crap like Farfetched)

Don't worry, the pokemon in OU aren't the best. Soon they will drop in the next gen due to the metagame shift.

prays for an anti Dragon Metagame where a pokemon with the ability Dragon Heart gains a 50% boost in Atk when hit by a dragon move.

One can dream.

You do not have a clue what "outclassed" actually means, do you?
The definition posted here is right, though. SO just look at it and you'll see that there are VERY FEW Pokemon that are actually "outclassed" by something. They may have small niches, but that's not "outclassed".

Your example is just an example of the opposite: Charizard's niche is certainly not "flying sweeper". But he has SO MANY assets that the other three miss... Belly Drum, Swords Dance, Fire STAB, just to name a few.

Whether A outclasses B in a specific role mostly depends on how you define the role. Define it very broadly, eg "Setup Sweeper" or "non-Choiced Revenge Killer", and odds are any UU is bettered by an OU in that role. But define it more exactly, and it's more likely that a UU mon performs the role best.

Whether A outclasses B in a specific role mostly depends on how you define the role. Define it very broadly, eg "Setup Sweeper" or "non-Choiced Revenge Killer", and odds are any UU is bettered by an OU in that role. But define it more exactly, and it's more likely that a UU mon performs the role best.
...which the does not say anything about the performance of the said Pokemon. You could say that "Salamence outclasses everything as a sweeper" according to whatever, but who cares?

There is no doubt that certain UU/NU pokemon can shine in certain situations. Like hypno is the perfect breloom counter so if you have a serious breloom problem get a hypno. Besides that though why else would anyone use hypno in OU its NU for a good reason.

But is OU the best metagame? Thats just a matter of opinion.

There is no doubt that certain UU/NU pokemon can shine in certain situations. Like hypno is the perfect breloom counter so if you have a serious breloom problem get a hypno. Besides that though why else would anyone use hypno in OU its NU for a good reason.

Or you could just go with Celebi who doesn't mind spore, and can effectively outstall Breloom. Celebi also happens to be a far better support Pokemon than Hypno.

Or you could just go with Celebi who doesn't mind spore, and can effectively outstall Breloom. Celebi also happens to be a far better support Pokemon than Hypno.
I wouldn't agree that it doesn't mind Spore. Yes, it can get rid of its sleep status, but it has to switch out to do so. Not minding Spore to me means that it is either immune to the move or somehow benefits from the move (or for sleep-inducing moves, runs the move Sleep Talk).

I completely agree. But to be honest there are not many OU/UU pokemon that have the exact same roles. In fact, most Pokemon have multiple roles. It all comes down to what the more general role of the Pokemon is. This is what usually sets a Pokemon into it's respective tier. If it performs better overall, it gets used more in standard.

Of course, you cannot have a "best" metagame; that is a matter of opinion. However, the Pokemon in OU are the most used Pokemon, and they are the most used Pokemon for a reason.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
prays for an anti Dragon Metagame where a pokemon with the ability Dragon Heart gains a 50% boost in Atk when hit by a dragon move.

One can dream.
I don't know if that would get rid of dragons completly. Heatran gains a boost from fire moves but that doesn't mean Rotom-h won't use overheat and Infernape won't use flamethrower/fire blast. Dragons would take a hit though, though at this rate we'll be down to three anyways.

Two words. Trick Room. The epic special defense, forewarn/insomnia, and magic coat make it very useful. Hypnosis and NP are also nice as well, of course.

Uber, OU, UU and NU are just different styles to me.
Each with their different strategy and style to play around because of the pokemons in that tier. It's like an ecosystem. Anything that wrecks it would be considered an invasive specie.

Uber, OU, UU and NU are just different styles to me.
Each with their different strategy and style to play around because of the pokemons in that tier. It's like an ecosystem. Anything that wrecks it would be considered an invasive specie.
Exactly. OU, Ubers, and UU are different worlds entirely. Comparing UU pokemon to OU/Uber pokemon won't turn out that great because GF probably intended to give these pokemon different conditions upon which it can thrive. Kind of like animals in real life...

Regarding the purpose of this thread: Do you feel OU is the "best"? If so, why so? What do you prefer in OU/UU/NU over other metagames? Do you think that simply not being usable in OU makes a Pokemon bad?
I enjoy OU the most, and have dwelled in UU and Ubers but simply cannot get into them. OU has the most steady source of players, a nice learning curve and it has the coolest Pokes, IMO (ie. Tyranitar>Aggron). Of course, there is no "best". I probably have an attachment to OU since I started in ADV OU, possibly the most balanced Metagame ever.

I intend to play UU sometime before the Generation ends: Many of my favorite Pokemon(Azumarill, Feraligatr, Slowbro, Arcanine and Ambipom to name a few) dwell there, and at the moment the UU metagame is probably the most balanced Metagame there is.

Some Pokemon are completely incapable of succeeding outside of their tier-Corsola is a really cool Poke with no hopes of doing anything, really, and competitively are horrible. They can, however, serve as excellent HM slaves, carrying you across the ocean on its back, moving or smashing large boulders that inhibit your advancement and just looking cool walking behind you(Remember, slave).

For every "unusable NU" Poke there is something awesome for OU, like Dual-Spiking Nidoqueen, easily setting up your entry hazards and walling fighting types--- even occasionally taking an EarthQuake or two to take out a threat to your team.

OU is the primary "balanced metagame" that smogon seeks to create, and it will always be celebrated as the best tier. It has a readily available supply of opponents, unlike Ubers, UU, and LC, and that alone sustains it.

For what it's worth, I prefer the more balanced nature of OU to the very offensive Ubers metagame and the stallfest of UU, though OU will greatly resemble UU once Salamence is gone.

Well, if a pokémon needs all the best 'mon banned for it to survive, it's not the best... I've never really understood why anyone would want to play OU. I have absolutely nothing against OU 'mon, mind, but surely it's much more satisfying to win with UU/OU 'mon in Ubers, than having to ban a huge portion of the metagame before you can win.

Wait, what?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)