Let's Play! PvK plays Pokemon Yellow!

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.

~~PvK plays Pokemon Yellow!~~
Surprise surprise, May actually does play Pokemon! So my Super Gold 97 playthrough got more attention than I expected view-wise, and since I'm streaming Pokemon Yellow as of today, I thought I'd do this again! My old c.2008 save file for Yellow got corrupted a while back and I hadn't streamed in a while, so I decided that it would be neat for "The RBY Girl" to do something like this. When streaming old games, I'll do it off hardware whenever possible, and because I own a Super Game Boy 2, modded SNES, and a HDMI Upscaler, I'm able to stream this game straight off the hardware, which gives a nice authentic taste that I enjoy.

Like my previous Let's Play, this doesn't have any set rules to it, I'm basically just looking to make it at least somewhat interesting.

Pokemon Yellow was the first Pokemon game I ever played, which I got alongside Stadium. It holds a special place in my heart as someone who started off with the anime and a bunch of hand-me-downs, and I've played it plenty of times because of that. Most of my memories of these old days is getting lost in the Seafoam Islands in not just this version, but Red and Blue as well. Yes, Red and Blue, not one, but two. I remember finding Articuno in them each time and killing it in 2, catching it in 1. Those were some fun times. I'm using the very same cartridge I grew up with here, although it is most certainly on its way out. I'll make this playthrough count!

In terms of in-game "meta", the removal of some crucial glitches does a pretty good job of making you think about your TM uses among other things. You can still bruteforce item duplication with a 180+ Special Magneton via the Mew Glitch anyway, but it's very hard to get to the stage where you can actually do it, which is a nice "balancing" factor in a cosmic sort of way. Yellow can be very frustrating at times with some of the concessions made for bug fixes and anime accuracy, unfortunately, with the initial in-game being a pretty nasty slog if you're not calculating with your Exp gain. I would say it's near-inarguably the inferior game for in-game playthroughs due to these "issues", but boy if it isn't still a fun time, much thanks to the graphical overhaul. The learnset and trainer changes are quite noticeable at times, such as Bind Pinsir, Low Kick Primeape, and the occasional anime reference trainers like the Cubone trainer in Vermillion.

Anyway, here's the stream archive for this round! You can catch me here whenever I'm going off on my little misadventures.
This is processing at the time of posting because it's 4 AM here in the UK and I'm definitely not waiting longer than the upload to post this. You can see the Twitch VOD here if it's showing up that way!

Things that happened this stream;
  • Planned out a team of Tauros / Dodrio / Alakazam / Jolteon / Venusaur / probably Tentacruel, most of them were obtained!​
  • Beat Brock, Misty, and Lt. Surge​
  • Complained profusely about Rock Tunnel not having anything making it worth a damn​
  • Poke Doll skip because lol Rocket Hideout​
  • Stored Pikachu!​
  • Caught Snorlax, Tauros, and that one Dugtrio​
  • Collected the starters not named Squirtle which I forgot and should probably get if only to keep it in my PC forever​
The best moment for me this time was going straight to Fuschia City, entering the Safari Zone, and grinding for Tauros. It's a TM hog and not a great in-game Pokemon as a result, but the payoff is comical and I just love it. If you plan your team around having (largely) self-sufficient Pokemon like Venusaur and Alakazam, Tauros tends to fit on quite seamlessly, and you bet I was going to do something like that here.

After many encounters, this absolute spectacle happened;
For those who don't know the Safari Zone mechanics, a Pokemon has their flee chance calculated via their Speed. Tauros, being ridiculously fast, has a 42.19% chance of running every turn, and a 6.54% chance of being caught. If you throw a rock, both of these double. If you throw bait, the run chance is quartered and the catch rate halves. Due to Tauros getting the initiative to run post-throw, these are both terrible deals, and thus your only hope is to throw Safari Balls and pray. This, on average, gets you a 14.22% chance of catching Tauros before you run out of Safari Balls, factoring in its ability to flee.

However, this entire interaction had, near enough, a similar likelihood of occurring as finding a Shiny Pokemon at full odds, at 1 in 7,212 as calculated by my good friend Shellnuts. That's a 0.013% chance. 11 Safari Balls...actually catching it.

Current Team
:doduo: Trilo | L28 | Fly / Growl / Fury Attack / Tri Attack
:tauros: Aurochs | L21 | Tackle / Stomp / Body Slam
:jolteon: Kaminari | L25 | Thunderbolt / Sand-Attack / Growl / Quick Attack
:ivysaur: Weed | L23 | Vine Whip / Growl / Leech Seed / Cut
:alakazam: ZAMN | L27 | Psybeam / Seismic Toss / Thunder Wave / Teleport
:snorlax: Panda | L30 | Headbutt / Amnesia / Rest

Dodrio is absolutely insane in-game as it's one of few Pokemon that can use Tri Attack. It's competitively terrible as it's got no effect in RBY, but in-game, it's great, as it allows you to substitute for Body Slam. With Drill Peck in tow you basically get the same result as if it had Body Slam: a death ray! I will probably grind for Hyper Beam on it specifically, but I don't think I'll do it for Tauros, as making money is not exactly fun without easy MissingNo. access...the Mew Glitch ones that aren't the fossils/ghost usually crash your game. I realised that getting the early birds is actually a serious pitfall when playing this game, as Dodrio comes at a perfectly fine level for your in-game progress - often higher, actually - and is right next to where you get Fly in the first place. It's long and far the best of the Normal/Flying birds, so next time you play, avoid Spearow and Pidgey.

I've yet to get Surf, but Snorlax will be using it until I get Tentacruel. FishLax practically builds itself for in-game but it's also very, very, very boring after you've used it a few times. Besides, I kind of want to prove a point to people about Tentacruel because it's one of the most comically broken in-game Pokemon out there. 120 Special Surf slaves that can Wrap are a hell of a drug, people! Arguably one of the best in-game Pokemon available.

It's nice that the Super Game Boy 2 lets you use Link Cables, as showing a full-on trade on stream was really cool despite a minor technical screwup in the middle. It also means I get to enjoy the hilarious Alakazam and make zamn jokes the whole time. It's the funny kind of broken.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
How did you write up this and not mention the absolutely perfect match vs Misty where she never clicked Bubblebeam AT ALL and preferred to WATER GUN you?? Idt she even critted either!
Yep, no crits! What happened the entire stream was absolutely nutty, it was hard to think of what to actually write cus there was just so much. Insane, just insane! I didn't even bring up the hilarious 6x full para when I was beating the rival fight near Victory Road and levelling up Nidoran, haha

I wonder how much crazier this'll get!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)