Raikou (Update)

um... this is really good, and I'm tempted out to try it myself. Just one thing, for your offensive CM, raikou doesn't learn Aura Sphere

How is this coming along? The OP still needs to be updated to agree with Setsuna's changes.

I would like to request other QCers to review the information in this thread and weigh in appropriately, please.

I think it's plausible to mention in AC of the Offensive CM set that if one doesn't want to lower Raikou's Speed with the intention of using Aura Sphere, HP Fighting can be used to OHKO Tyranitar after a Calm Mind, while at the same time retain the necessary speed to outrun Infernape, Starmie, and Gengar, all of whom get KOed and won't be able to touch Raikou. Finally, please mention in OC that HP Ice is another viable option, and detail the PROS and CONS of using it over HP Grass. I'd like to see all of this listed.

EDIT: I kept thinking about Aura Sphere, and after running some calcs I don't know why it should be slashed with HP Grass on the Offensive CM set. The only appealing thing that I can see about Aura Sphere is that it will enable Raikou to always 2HKO Careful 188 HP / 216 SpD Snorlax and OHKO 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran. However, the situation with Heatran doesn't really matter, since Raikou will always OHKO that variant with Thunderbolt after a turn of SR damage. As for Specially Defensive Heatran, both Rash + Aura Sphere and Timid Thunderbolt achieve the 2HKO (the former deals ~74% of damage, and the latter ~53%). On the other hand, 0 and the weird 84 HP variants of Magnezone get OHKOed by HP Fighting 100% of the time after a CM. Tyranitar is in the same boat as Magnezone, 0 and 180 HP variants (CS and CB) get OHKOed by a +1 HP Fight.

I would really like to hear what others have to say about this, specially the QC team. However, I am not happy with Aura Sphere's slash now. What I think should be the way to go is: Timid nature | HP Grass / HP Fight and Aura Sphere mentioned in AC for Snorlax. With this being said, let's hear some opinions!

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
HP Fighting can be used to OHKO Tyranitar after a Calm Mind, while at the same time retain the necessary speed to outrun Infernape, Starmie, and Gengar, all of whom get KOed and won't be able to touch Raikou.
???
But yeah, I agree with Setsuna.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Forgot about that Speed point for a second.

On a more relevant note, the OP hasn't been touched in a month. If the situation continues like this, and the poster doesn't respond to the QC recommendations that have been made here, I will have no other option but to pass this analysis to someone else.

MetaNite has disappeared, it would seem, and has not responded to my PM about finishing his analyses. For this reason, and because SDS expressed interest in it, I have given the OP to SDS and he will be the one working on this. (Note that you still have to finish Breloom, you lazy @&^$! <3)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wish this post had a bit more substance since Raikou's options have already been furnished, but....how's this going? Been collecting dust for a few weeks, and....yeah. Breloom's done.

I personally like sub/calm mind/thunderbolt/Shadow ball. However I would agree with most and say hp ice is a very good option due to Gliscor/Dragonite etc. Lot of people like to trick Rotom scarf's onto Raikou so shadow ball also does a decent job.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is this still being worked on? Cuz' I could write it up for you, SDS.. =o.. You'll get most of the credit no problem, I'll mostly be taking from your (or MetaNite's?) very intuitive bullet points and pushing it through GP anyways..

[Overview]
<p>...In addition, Thunderbolt is stronger than Hidden Power Fire against all but 3 Steel-types in the game: Scizor, Forretress, and Steelix- the latter is never seen, and the first two are easily 2HKOed by Thunderbolt anyway.</p>
Very minor point, but magnezone also takes more from HP Fire than it does from thunderbolt, and it's used relatively frequently in OU, plus it resists all of Aura Sphere-less raikou's attacks.

Very minor point, but magnezone also takes more from HP Fire than it does from thunderbolt, and it's used relatively frequently in OU, plus it resists all of Aura Sphere-less raikou's attacks.
That's fairly irrelevant seeing as Magnezone can't really do anything back to Raikou - after a CM, even HP Ground won't do that much.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Fill my eyes with that double vision
No disguise for that double vision
Ooh, when it gets through to me, it's always new to me
My double vision gets the best of me

add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Once upon a time, Raikou was viewed as one of the most dominant special attackers in the entire game, and ignoring it would be foolhardy. Unfortunately, that time was Generation 3. With the addition of Choice Scarf, Toxic Spikes, and monstrously powerful attackers such as Heatran, Raikou has been largely left in the dust in Generation 4. However, it’s's (correct apostrophe) not all grim for Raikou. While Raikou faces stiff competition both as an Electric-type attacker and as a Calm Mind user, it’s's still more than adept at both, and with the addition of coverage moves such as the now-special Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere, Raikou still has all the tools it needs to be a top threat in Generation 4.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a pretty straightforward set, and still one of Raikou’s's most lethal. After a Calm Mind, Raikou’s's looking at 493 Special Attack, which becomes even scarier when backed by a Life Orb and STAB Thunderbolt. There are very few Pokemon that can come in on this beast once it’s gotten a Calm Mind up, and with Calm Mind’s's boost to Special Defense as well as Raikou’s's already solid 100 base Special Defense, the opponent is essentially limited to checking Raikou with physical Pokemon, allowing it to sweep unprepared or worn down teams with impunity.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt is obvious, as after STAB, Life Orb, and a Calm Mind, it’s's pretty hard to survive it without resisting it unless you resist it or your name is Blissey. Shadow Ball provides important type coverage, hitting Rotom-A and Celebi hard, as well as dealing significant damage to neutral targets. Hidden Power Grass is mainly used for smacking around Swampert, though it’s's also effective against other Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Mamoswine. Hidden Power Fighting is also an alternative if you’re're not afraid of Swampert, as it hits Tyranitar extremely hard. The standard Choice Band Tyranitar is OHKOed 100% of the time after Stealth Rock by Hidden Power Fighting, and with solid prediction, it can also hit Scarf variants hard on the switch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Aura Sphere is an alternative for the last slot, as it allows you to hit Blissey extremely hard, and also guarantees an OHKO on all variants of Tyranitar. However, using it requires a Rash nature, which lowers your speed Raikou's Speed from 361 to 329. This isn’t't all bad, though. You do lose the ability to speed tie with Azelf and Starmie, and you are also outsped by Infernape and Gengar, but with Calm Mind, the only threat posed by these Pokemon are physical attacks from Azelf and Infernape. On top of that, the Rash nature guarantees some notable KOs, such as an OHKO on Celebi and Rotom-A with Shadow Ball. Hidden Power Ice is also an option, as it hits Dragonite and Gliscor, as well as allowing and allows Raikou to threaten Flygon on the switch, but it also leaves Raikou completely walled by Swampert.</p>

<p>There’s's really no reason to get fancy with the EVs here. Simply using maximum Speed and Special Attack with the leftovers in HP should suffice. Timid nature allows you to outspeed Gengar and Infernape, and also ties with Azelf and Starmie. However, when using Aura Sphere, a Rash nature is required. This does guarantee a couple notable KOs, and also still allows Raikou to outspeed +nature positively natured base 100 Speed Pokemon such as Jirachi and Celebi. Life Orb is the obvious item, as Raikou needs all the power that it can get on this set.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is absolutely necessary for the success of this Raikou set, as it is required in order to set up KOs net OHKOs on some notable Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Celebi, and Rotom-A. This is also a set that benefits set also benefits a lot from Rapid Spin support, as Raikou tends to get worn down fairly quickly between Stealth Rock, Sandstorm, and Life Orb. Forretress can lay down Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, and Starmie can Rapid Spin while benefitting from Raikou’s's ability to switch into Electric attacks. Raikou also needs a teammate that can get rid of Blissey, as it walls Raikou until the ends of the earth. Heatran can lure in Blissey and kill it with Explosion. Scizor and Tyranitar can pursuit Pursuit it, but Scizor is preferred since Sandstorm the sandstorm Tyranitar summons tends to have a significant negative effect on this set’s's performance.</p>

[SET]
name: SubCM
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
item: Leftovers
evs: 128 HP / 76 Def / 52 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While this set lacks the immediate power and type coverage of the previous one, it more than makes up for it through its ability to set up on a much wider variety of Pokemon. (Don't reference other sets. What if SubCM were to become the most popular set and was moved to the first slot? Then this sentence wouldn't make any sense.) With the combination Substitute and Calm Mind, Raikou can set up on bulky Water- and Grass-types that are commonly found on many teams, such as Vaporeon, Milotic, Celebi, and Shaymin lacking Earth Power. Substitute also allows Raikou to avoid status ailments and Trick, which can give it even more chances to set up.</p>

<p>With Substitute and Calm Mind, this set only has room for a single coverage move. The most effective choices for this slot are Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Grass. Electric and Ice provide excellent two-move coverage, and Hidden Power Ice’s's poor base power is supplemented by this set’s's ability to get set up multiple Calm Minds up. Hidden Power Ice also easily defeats Flygon, which is a common Raikou switchin, and Substitute guarantees that it can KO Flygon before it gets hit by Earthquake. However, Hidden Power Grass is an effective option and hits Swampert, which effectively walls Hidden Power Ice variants.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the first set, this set’s EVs are fairly targeted. 128 HP EVs means that defensive variants of Celebi cannot break Raikou’s's substitutes Substitutes after a single Calm Mind. Pairing the HP EVs with 76 Defense EVs means that Jolly Flygon cannot break Raikou’s's substitutes Substitutes with U-Turn. Speed is maximized with a Timid nature to beat Gengar and Infernape as well as tie with Starmie and Azelf, and the remainder is dropped into Special Attack. Leftovers are used to replenish the HP lost by using Substitute, and prove especially effective against Pokemon that cannot break Raikou’s's Substitute in one hit.</p>

<p>Toxic Spikes are simultaneously this set’s's best friend and greatest enemy (depending on which side of the field they're on), as Toxic Spikes can limit Raikou’s's lifespan significantly, but they also allow Raikou to stall out outstall Blissey, Celebi, Swampert, Hippowdon, and Tyranitar, as well as other Pokemon that can threaten this set. As a result, Forretress is one of the most effective teammates for this set due to its ability to set up Toxic Spikes and then spin away opposing entry hazards. Roserade is also an excellent teammate, as it can set up Toxic Spikes while absorbing and absorb opposing Toxic Spikes simply for by switching in. This set also works extremely well with Gyarados for multiple reasons. Gyarados can switch in on opponents packing Earthquake, which is the most common attack effective effective attack used against Raikou. It’s Gyarados is also especially effective against Metagross, which can be extremely hazardous for this set. As an added bonus, Gyarados tends to lure in bulky Water- and Grass-types for Raikou to set up on, which significantly improves its ability to threaten opposing teams.</p>

[SET]
Name: Attacking Lead
Move 1: Thunderbolt
Move 2: Hidden Power Ice
Move 3: Extrasensory / Shadow Ball / Aura Sphere
Move 4: Extremespeed ExtremeSpeed
Nature: Rash
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
(Make sure nothing on the left is capitalized.)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With its excellent special attack Special Attack, solid type coverage, and priority in the form of ExtremesSpeed, Raikou can serve as an extremely effective attacking lead as well. This lead is designed to pose a significant offensive threat from turn 1, forcing opponents to decide whether entry hazards are worth facing a 100% Raikou. Thunderbolt serves as the primary STAB move, and with maxed Special Attack and a Rash nature, it hits like a truck. For most faster leads, Thunderbolt easily puts opponents into KO range from ExtremesSpeed, while many slower leads, such as Heatran and Metagross, are simply 2HKOed by it. Hidden Power Ice covers most notable Electric resists or notable and neutral Pokemon, including Celebi, Shaymin, Gliscor, Dragonite, and Flygon. The last slot is up to personal preference. Extrasensory is the preferred option, as while it does provide largely redundant coverage, it guarantees the 2HKO on Lead Machamp and Roserade, as well as OHKOing an OHKO on Breloom. The flinch chance can also prove interesting, as getting an Extrasensory flinch on either Roserade or Machamp lets you beat them without taking any damage at all. Shadow Ball is your best option against Rotom-A, and also guarantees victory against bulkier Azelf leads. Finally, Aura Sphere hits Tyranitar and Mamoswine, and also gives Raikou a more powerful option against Heatran.</p>

<p>One of the big advantages of this set is that, (comma) despite the need to run a Special Defense reducing nature, Raikou is still incredibly bulky. Its 90/75/100 defenses allow it to take most any attack that an opposing lead would throw at it and hit back. For example: Heatran needs a Life Orb in order to OHKO Raikou with Earth Power or Fire Blast. Even with a Rash nature, Timid Heatran still does only 80.1% damage maximum to Raikou with Fire Blast or Earth Power. Roserade’s's Leaf Storm maxes out at 90.7% damage. Even Starmie’s's Hydro Pump only does 87% damage max. Meanwhile, on the physical side, Machamp’s's DynamicPunch can’t't deal more than 83.2% damage, and even Lead Aerodactyl’s's Earthquake fails to OHKO. The only lead that can reliably OHKO it Raikou is Metagross, which is 2HKOed by Thunderbolt, meaning that its user has to choose between killing Raikou and getting Stealth Rock up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is simple: just maximize Special Attack and Speed. The inability to run a Timid nature on ExtremeSpeed Raikou may seem like an issue, but few leads sit between Rash and Timid’s's speed tier. Rash Raikou has 329 Speed, which is extremely fortuitous, as +Nature positively natured base Base 100 Speed Pokemon sit at 328, meaning Raikou can outspeed all non-scarfed Base base 100 Speed Pokemon 100% of the time. The only Pokemon that it would be able to outspeed with a Timid nature are Infernape and Gengar, and Infernape needs to be running maximum Attack and a Life Orb in order to OHKO Raikou with Close Combat. Gengar is rarely if ever seen as a lead nowadays, and it also has issues killing Raikou, which can OHKO it easily with Extrasensory or deal significant damage with Thunderbolt. You do lose out on the speed tie with Pokemon such as Azelf and Starmie, but neither is truly significant, and the increased power from the Rash nature allows you to score a number of important OHKOs and 2HKOs. Lum Berry is used as a way to guarantee victory against Machamp and Roserade, as well as against lesser seen leads such as Smeargle and Scarf Breloom. However, Shuca Berry can be used to guarantee the win against Metagross, and also serve as a Flygon lure in a pinch. However, losing 50% of the time to Machamp is an unwelcome consequence, and allowing Roserade to hit Raikou with Sleep Powder also significantly decreases its effectiveness in that matchup.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Grass is usable if you’re're truly terrified of Swampert, but it gives up significant coverage against top threats such as Flygon, Celebi, Shaymin, and Dragonite, so the loss of coverage is generally not worth it. Hidden Power Fire is also recommended against, as it lowered IV further lowers Raikou’s's Speed, which forces it to simply tie in Speed with base 100 Pokemoni Pokemon. In addition, Thunderbolt is stronger than Hidden Power Fire against all but 3 Steel-types in the game: Scizor, Forretress, and Steelix - the latter is never seen in OU, and the first two are easily 2HKOed by Thunderbolt anyway.</p>

<p>Optimally, Raikou’s's teammates should be able to deal with the few leads that Raikou performs badly against: Swampert and Metagross. For offensive teams, Gyarados works extremely well alongside Raikou, as it is immune to Earthquakes aimed at Raikou, and can also soften physical blows with Intimidate. It is also neutral to Ice Beam from Swampert, and resists Metagross' Meteor Mash. Skarmory can be useful on balanced teams, as it can use Raikou’s's few poor matchups to get free Spikes against many teams, which complements Raikou’s's excellent offensive power. Rotom-A provides some redundant coverage, but is immune to Earthquake and can threaten the two aforementioned Pokemon with a burn. This lead also performs poorly against Blissey, so it benefits greatly from Pokemon that are effective against Blissey, such as Scizor and Tyranitar. Scizor is a good choice, as Raikou can support it by threatening Gyarados, which is commonly paired with Blissey on defensive teams. Raikou is also very effective against Skarmory, which is another common Scizor counter on defensive teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Aura Sphere / Extrasensory
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
nature: Rash / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Choice Scarf equipped, Raikou becomes an extremely effective revenge killer. With a Rash nature, Scarf Raikou is capable of outspeeding top threats such as +1 Dragonite, +1 Gyarados, +1 Tyranitar, and +2 Adamant Metagross, and with its 361 Special Attack, it is more than capable of taking out all of these targets. On the other hand, if you’re're looking for a more "hit-and-run"-oriented attacker, Specs Raikou can come in on many defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory, Zapdos, Vaporeon, as well as nearly every variant of Jirachi, and unleash an extremely powerful Specs Thunderbolt, capable of 2HKOing even Tyranitar.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt remains as the most effective STAB attack. Hidden Power Ice completes its the infamous "BoltBeam" coverage and allows Raikou to hit Dragonite, Gliscor, and Flygon, which can otherwise deal with Thunderbolt. Shadow Ball hits Rotom-A hard, and also deals the most damage to Pokemon such as Gengar and Celebi. Finally, Aura Sphere puts a beatdown on Tyranitar while still allowing it Raikou to use Hidden Power Ice. Extrasensory is also an option, as it hits Machamp, Breloom, Roserade, and Heracross harder than any other attack that Raikou can muster.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Again, this set uses a pretty simple EV spread: maximized Special Attack and Speed with the leftovers in HP. Aura Sphere requires the use of a Rash nature, but if Raikou is using Extrasensory instead, it can use a Modest or even a Timid nautre. Modest is preferred for its power, but Timid can be used to outspeed Scarf Infernape and Gengar, as well as allow Raikou to outspeed +2 Jolly Metagross.</p>

<p>Gyarados makes an excellent offensive partner for Raikou for a number of reasons. It can switch in for free on Earthquakes aimed at Raikou, while Raikou can switch in on Thunderbolts and other Electric attacks that threaten Gyarados. Choice Band Gyarados can also lure in common checks for Raikou, such as Shaymin and Celebi, and hit them hard enough that they are unable to come in on Raikou later in the game. Choiced Raikou also benefits significantly from Pokemon that can pass Wish to it, such as Vaporeon and Jirachi. Vaporeon is the preferred choice, as Jirachi’s's shared weakness to Ground can make it hard for Raikou to switch in and benefit from Jirachi’s's Wish uses.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 4: Calm Mind / Roar
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is intended to play on make use of Raikou’s's significant bulk to play a more supporting role for teams. While mono-electricElectric coverage is fairly poor, this Raikou is an extremely potent counter to most special attackers, and can easily sweep once the opponent’s's Ground-types are removed. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk allows it Raikou to absorb status for the team, and also allows it to outstall most defensive Pokemon that give other Raikou sets trouble, such as Celebi and Blissey.</p>

<p>This set comes in two main flavors: Calm Mind and Roar. Calm Mind makes it Raikou a hard counter to many special attackers, including Suicune, Vaporeon, Zapdos, and Gengar. However, it leaves it extremely weak to Ground-types, which can switch in with absolute impunity and force out Raikou for free. Roar reduces this set’s's offensive prowess, but brings a number of advantages with it. Raikou’s's excellent speed Speed allows it to shuffle out many opponents before they can act through Sleep Talk, and it can also wear down opposing teams through entry hazard damage. It also acts as an ironclad counter to Pokemon like SubCM or WishCM Jirachi, as it can come in, absorb a weak attack, and Roar it out with ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs on this set are less offensively minded, as this is a more support-oriented set. HP is maximized to provide bulk, while Speed is maximized to outrun Infernape and Gengar. Leftovers are used to keep Raikou alive while it’s's asleep, and also increase its survivability.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are especially effective on this set for multiple reasons. First, it’s's an effective counter for a ton of special attackers, and can force a lot of Pokemon out with ease. Second, if using Roar, it can shuffle or even speed-shuffle opponents around with Sleep Talk and Roar, racking up incredible entry hazard damage. Skarmory is the best Spiker to go pair with Raikou, as it counters many Ground-types, and Raikou can switch in on many of the special attackers that threaten it. Forretress also does well, as it can lay down both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and it can also Rapid Spin away hazards that can cause problems for Raikou. It’s's also a good idea to carry a Pokemon that can absorb Trick, as many special attackers are capable of crippling Raikou by tricking Tricking it a Choice item. Flygon makes an excellent one candidate, as it is immune to Earthquake, and can also scout switches for Raikou to come in on with U-turn.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Raikou has a couple of neat toys that it can use which aren’t that aren't viable enough for full sets but can still provide some niche usefulness. Raikou gets Reflect and Light Screen, making it a decent user of Dual Screens dual screens, and it can also combine Reflect and Calm Mind to reduce both physical and special damage significantly. Charge Beam can be used over Calm Mind on the offensive set for a more offensive feel for the set. If Raikou can hit an opponent on the switch with Charge Beam and pick up a Special Attack boost, it can allow for some KOs that it wouldn’t't normally be able to achieve. Finally, Event Raikou can use Weather Ball on a Rain Dance set, giving it perfect accuracy Thunder as well as a Rain-boosted 100 Base Power Water-type attack to use against Ground-types.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Blissey is the #1 number 1 counter to pretty much every single Raikou set. As long as Toxic Spikes aren’t't up, Raikou effectively has no chance against a healthy Blissey. The only thing that can cause problems for Blissey is either a RestTalk Calm Mind set or 2 layers of Toxic Spikes, but other than that, Blissey can wall Raikou, Thunder Wave or Toxic it, and then Seismic Toss it away. Tyranitar is also a solid counter to Raikou, though Hidden Power Fighting and Aura Sphere deal significant damage to it. However, Scarfed Tyranitar outspeeds Raikou and can easily KO it with either Earthquake or Stone Edge. Swampert walls all variants of Raikou without Hidden Power Grass, while Flygon and Gliscor wall variants without Hidden Power Ice, and all three can eliminate Raikou with Earthquake. Snorlax can have issues switching into Life Orb or Choice Specs Thunderbolt, but threatens a KO with Earthquake. Hippowdon can KO Raikou with Earthquake and isn’t't KOed by a super effective Hidden Power. Finally, Electivire can serve as a situational counter to Raikou, as it can pick up a Motor Drive boost from its Thunderbolt and hit it with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Toxic Spikes get their own mention here, as they absolutely demolish every single set other than RestTalk. Even a single layer of Toxic Spikes can cripple Raikou to the point that it can no longer sweep. Offensive Raikou doesn’t't last very long when it’s's taking 22% damage per turn, and SubCM can’t't stall Pokemon out with Substitute when it’s's losing HP instead of gaining it. Roserade is an excellent source of Toxic Spikes, as its significant Special Defense and resistance to Electric can allow it to come in on Raikou later in the match as well. Forretress can also lay down Toxic Spikes, as well as spinning away a Raikou user’s's Toxic Spikes.</p>

Good Lord that took forever.

Excellent write-up. Just please for the love of God, don't use the curly apostrophes next time. There's very little to change other than that though.

GP 1/2

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GP CHECK TWO: The Sequel

remove
add

[Overview]

<p>Once upon a time, Raikou was viewed as one of the most dominant special attackers in the entire game, and ignoring it would be foolhardy. Unfortunately, that time was Generation 3. With the addition of Choice Scarf, Toxic Spikes, and monstrously powerful attackers such as Heatran, Raikou has been largely left in the dust in Generation 4. However, it's not all grim for Raikou. While Raikou faces stiff competition both as an Electric-type attacker and as a Calm Mind user, it's still more than adept at both, and with the addition of coverage moves such as the now-special Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere, Raikou still has all the tools it needs to be a top threat in Generation 4.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Calm Mind
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a pretty straightforward set, and still one of Raikou's most lethal. After a Calm Mind, Raikou's looking at 493 Special Attack, which becomes even scarier when backed by a Life Orb and STAB Thunderbolt. There are very few Pokemon that can come in on this beast once it's gotten a Calm Mind up, and with Calm Mind's boost to Raikou's already solid 100 base Special Defense, the opponent is essentially limited to checking Raikou with physical Pokemon, allowing it to sweep unprepared or worn down teams with impunity.</p>

<p>The choice of Thunderbolt here is obvious, as after STAB, Life Orb, and a Calm Mind, it's pretty hard to survive it unless you resist it are resistant or immune to Electric or your name is Blissey. Shadow Ball provides important type coverage, hitting Rotom-A and Celebi hard, as well as dealing significant damage to neutral targets. Hidden Power Grass is mainly used for smacking around Swampert around, though it's also effective against other Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Mamoswine. Hidden Power Fighting is also an alternative if you're not afraid of Swampert, as it hits Tyranitar extremely hard. The standard Choice Band Tyranitar is OHKOed 100% of the time after Stealth Rock by Hidden Power Fighting, and with solid prediction, it Raikou can also hit nail Scarf variants hard on the switch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Aura Sphere is an alternative for the last slot, as it allows you to hit Blissey extremely hard, and also guarantees an OHKO on all variants of Tyranitar. However, using it requires a Rash nature, which lowers Raikou's Speed from 361 to 329. This isn't all bad, though; you lose the ability to Speed tie with Azelf and Starmie, and you are also outsped by Infernape and Gengar, but with Calm Mind, the only threat posed by these Pokemon are physical attacks from Azelf and Infernape. On top of that, the Rash nature guarantees some notable KOs, such as an OHKOs on Celebi and Rotom-A with Shadow Ball. Hidden Power Ice is also an option, as it hits Dragonite and Gliscor and allows Raikou to threaten Flygon on the switch, but it also leaves Raikou completely walled by Swampert.</p>

<p>There's really no reason to get fancy with the EVs here. Simply using maximum maximizing Speed and Special Attack with the leftovers in HP should suffice. Timid nature allows you to outspeed Gengar and Infernape, and also ties tie with Azelf and Starmie. However, when using Aura Sphere, a Rash nature is required. This does guarantee a couple notable KOs, and also still allows Raikou to outspeed positively natured base 100 Speed Pokemon such as Jirachi and Celebi. Life Orb is the obvious item, as Raikou needs all the power that it can get on this set.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is absolutely necessary for the success of this Raikou set, as it is required in order to net OHKOs on some notable Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Celebi, and Rotom-A. This set also benefits a lot from Rapid Spin support, as Raikou tends to get worn down fairly quickly between Stealth Rock, Sandstorm, and Life Orb. Forretress can lay down Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, and Starmie can Rapid Spin while benefitting from Raikou's ability to switch into Electric attacks. Raikou also needs a teammate that can get rid of Blissey, as it walls Raikou until the ends of the earth. Heatran can lure in Blissey and kill it with Explosion. Scizor and Tyranitar can Pursuit it, but Scizor is preferred since the Sandstorm Tyranitar brings tends to have a significant negative effect on this set's performance.</p>

[SET]
name: SubCM
move 2: Substitute
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
evs: 128 HP / 76 Def / 52 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the combination of Substitute and Calm Mind, Raikou can set up on the bulky Water- and Grass-types that are commonly found on many teams, such as Vaporeon, Milotic, Celebi, and Shaymin lacking sans Earth Power. Substitute also allows Raikou to avoid status ailments and Trick, which can give it even more chances to set up.</p>

<p>With Substitute and Calm Mind, this set only has room for a single coverage move. The most effective choices for this slot are Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Grass. Electric and Ice provide excellent two-move coverage, and Hidden Power Ice's poor Base Power is supplemented by this set's ability to set up multiple Calm Minds. Hidden Power Ice also easily defeats Flygon, which who is a common Raikou switch-in, and Substitute guarantees that it Raikou can KO Flygon before it gets hit by Earthquake. However, Hidden Power Grass is an effective a nice option and hits for hitting Swampert, which who effectively walls Hidden Power Ice variants.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>128 HP EVs means that defensive variants of Celebi cannot break Raikou's Substitutes after a single Calm Mind. Pairing the HP EVs with 76 Defense EVs means that Jolly Flygon cannot break Raikou's Substitutes with U-turn. Speed is maximized with a Timid nature to beat Gengar and Infernape as well as tie with Starmie and Azelf, and the remainder is dropped into Special Attack. Leftovers are used to replenish the HP lost by using Substitute, and prove especially effective against Pokemon who that cannot break Raikou's Substitute in one hit.</p>

<p>Toxic Spikes are simultaneously this set's best friend and greatest enemy (depending on which side of the field they're on), as Toxic Spikes can limit Raikou's lifespan significantly, but they also allow Raikou to outstall Blissey, Celebi, Swampert, Hippowdon, and Tyranitar, as well as other Pokemon that can threaten this set. As a result, Forretress is one of the most effective teammates for this set, due to its ability to set up Toxic Spikes and then spin away opposing entry hazards on your side of the field. Roserade is also an excellent teammate, as it can set up Toxic Spikes and absorb opposing Toxic Spikes simply by switching in. This set also works extremely well with Gyarados for multiple reasons. Gyarados can switch in on opponents packing Earthquake, which is the most common effective attack used against Raikou. Gyarados is also especially effective against Metagross, who which can be extremely hazardous for this set. As an added bonus, Gyarados tends to lure in bulky Water- and Grass-types for Raikou to set up on, which significantly improves its ability to threaten opposing teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Attacking Lead
move 2: Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Extrasensory / Shadow Ball / Aura Sphere
move 4: ExtremeSpeed
nature: Rash
item: Lum Berry
ability: Pressure
eVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With its excellent Special Attack, solid type coverage, and priority in the form of ExtremeSpeed, Raikou can serve as an extremely effective attacking lead. This lead is designed to pose a significant offensive threat from turn 1, forcing opponents to decide whether entry hazards are worth facing a 100% Raikou. Thunderbolt serves as the primary STAB move, and with maxed Special Attack and a Rash nature, it hits like a truck. For most faster leads, Thunderbolt easily puts opponents most faster leads into KO range for from ExtremeSpeed, while many slower leads, such as Heatran and Metagross, are simply 2HKOed by it. Hidden Power Ice covers most notable Electric resists and neutral Pokemon, including Celebi, Shaymin, Gliscor, Dragonite, and Flygon. The last slot is up to personal preference. Extrasensory is the preferred option, as while it does provide largely redundant coverage, it guarantees the a 2HKO on Lead Machamp and Roserade, as well as a OHKO on Breloom. The flinch chance can also prove interesting, as getting an Extrasensory flinch on either Roserade or Machamp lets you beat them without taking any damage at all. Shadow Ball is your best option against Rotom-A, and also guarantees victory against bulkier Azelf leads. Finally, Aura Sphere hits Tyranitar and Mamoswine, and also gives Raikou a more powerful option against Heatran.</p>

<p>One of the big advantages of this set is that despite the need to run a Special Defense reducing nature, Raikou is still incredibly bulky. Its 90/75/100 defenses allow it to take almost any attack that an opposing lead would throw at it and hit back. For example: Heatran needs a Life Orb in order to OHKO Raikou with Earth Power or Fire Blast; even with a Rash nature, Timid Heatran still does only 80.1% damage maximum to Raikou with Fire Blast or Earth Power. Roserade's Leaf Storm maxes out at 90.7% damage. Even Starmie's Hydro Pump only does 87% damage max. Meanwhile, on the physical side, Machamp's DynamicPunch can't deal more than 83.2% damage, and even Lead Aerodactyl's Earthquake fails to OHKO. The only lead that can reliably OHKO Raikou is Metagross, which is in turn 2HKOed by Thunderbolt, meaning that its user has to choose between killing Raikou and getting Stealth Rock up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is simple: just maximize Special Attack and Speed. The inability to run a Timid nature on ExtremeSpeed Raikou may seem like an issue, but few leads sit between Rash and Timid's speed tiers. Rash Raikou has 329 Speed, which is extremely fortuitous, as positively natured base 100 Speed Pokemon sit at 328, meaning Raikou can outspeed all non-Scarfed base 100 Speed Pokemon 100% of the time. The only Pokemon that it would be able to outspeed with a Timid nature are Infernape and Gengar, and Infernape needs to be running maximum Attack and a Life Orb in order to OHKO Raikou with Close Combat. Gengar is rarely if ever seen as a lead nowadays, and it also has issues killing Raikou, which who can OHKO it easily with Extrasensory or deal significant damage with Thunderbolt. You do lose out on the Speed tie with Pokemon such as Azelf and Starmie, but neither is truly significant, and the increased power from the Rash nature allows you to score a number of important OHKOs and 2HKOs. Lum Berry is used as a way to guarantee victory against Machamp and Roserade, as well as against lesser seen leads such as Smeargle and Scarf Breloom. However, Shuca Berry is an option that can be used to guarantee the win against Metagross, and also allows Raikou to serve as a Flygon lure in a pinch. However, losing 50% of the time to Machamp is an unwelcome consequence, and allowing Roserade to hit Raikou with Sleep Powder also significantly decreases its effectiveness in that matchup.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Grass is usable if you're truly terrified of Swampert, but it in return you gives up significant coverage against top threats such as Flygon, Celebi, Shaymin, and Dragonite, so it the loss of coverage is generally not worth it. Hidden Power Fire is also not recommended against, as it requires a 30 Speed IV, which forces it Raikou to simply tie in Speed with base 100 Pokemon. In addition, Thunderbolt is stronger than Hidden Power Fire against all but 4 of the Steel-types in the game: Scizor, Forretress, Magnezone, and Steelix- the latter last one is never seen, Magnezone can't reliably damage Raikou, and the first two are easily 2HKOed by Thunderbolt anyway.</p>

<p>Optimally, Raikou's teammates should be able to deal with the few leads that Raikou performs badly against: Swampert and Metagross. For offensive teams, Gyarados works extremely well alongside Raikou, as it is immune to Earthquakes aimed at Raikou, and can also soften physical blows with Intimidate; it is also neutral to Ice Beam from Swampert, and resists Metagross's Meteor Mash. Skarmory can be useful on balanced teams, as it can use Raikou's few poor matchups to get set up free Spikes against many teams, which complements Raikou's excellent offensive power. Rotom-A provides some redundant coverage, but is immune to Earthquake and can threaten the two aforementioned Pokemon with a burn. This lead also performs poorly against Blissey, so it benefits greatly from Pokemon that are effective against Blissey, such as Scizor and Tyranitar. Scizor is a good choice, as Raikou can support it by threatening Gyarados, which who is commonly paired with Blissey on defensive teams. Raikou is also very effective against Skarmory, which who is another common Scizor counter on defensive teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Aura Sphere / Extrasensory
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
nature: Rash / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Choice Scarf equipped, Raikou becomes an extremely effective revenge killer. With a Rash nature, Scarf Raikou is capable of outspeeding top threats such as +1 Dragonite, +1 Gyarados, +1 Tyranitar, and +2 Adamant Metagross, and with its 361 Special Attack, it is more than capable of taking out all of these targets. On the other hand, if you're looking for a more "hit-and-run"-oriented attacker, Specs Raikou can come in on many defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory, Zapdos, Vaporeon, as well as nearly every variant of Jirachi, and unleash an extremely powerful Specs Thunderbolt, capable of 2HKOing even Tyranitar.</p>

<p>Thunderbolt remains as the most effective STAB attack. Hidden Power Ice completes the infamous "BoltBeam" coverage and allows Raikou to hit Dragonite, Gliscor, and Flygon, all of whom which can otherwise deal with Thunderbolt. Shadow Ball hits Rotom-A hard, and also deals the most damage to Pokemon such as Gengar and Celebi. Finally, Aura Sphere puts a beatdown on Tyranitar while still allowing Raikou to use Hidden Power Ice. Extrasensory is also an option, as it hits Machamp, Breloom, Roserade, and Heracross harder than any other attack that Raikou can muster.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Again, this set uses a pretty simple EV spread: maximized Special Attack and Speed with the leftovers in HP. Aura Sphere requires the use of a Rash nature, but if Raikou is using Extrasensory instead, it can use a Modest or even a Timid nautre. Modest is preferred for its power, but Timid can be used to outspeed Scarf Infernape and Gengar, as well as allow Raikou to outspeed +2 Jolly Metagross.</p>

<p>Gyarados makes an excellent offensive partner for Raikou for a number of reasons. It can switch in for free on Earthquakes aimed at Raikou, while Raikou can switch in on Thunderbolts and other Electric attacks that threaten Gyarados. Choice Band Gyarados can also lure in common checks for Raikou, such as Shaymin and Celebi, and hit them hard enough that they are unable to come in on Raikou later in the game. Choiced Raikou also benefits significantly from Pokemon that can pass Wish to it, such as Vaporeon and Jirachi. Vaporeon is the preferred choice, as Jirachi's shared weakness to Ground can make it hard for Raikou to switch in and benefit from Jirachi's Wish.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 4: Calm Mind / Roar
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is intended to makes use of Raikou's significant bulk to allow it to play a more supporting role for teams. While mono-Electric coverage is fairly poor, this Raikou is an extremely potent counter to most special attackers, and can easily sweep once the opponent's Ground-types are removed. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk allows Raikou to absorb status for the team, and also allows it to outstall most defensive Pokemon that give other Raikou sets trouble, such as Celebi and Blissey.</p>

<p>This set comes in two main flavors: Calm Mind and Roar. Calm Mind makes it Raikou a hard counter to many special attackers, including Suicune, Vaporeon, Zapdos, and Gengar. However, it leaves it Raikou extremely weak to Ground-types, which can switch in with absolute impunity and force out Raikou for free. Roar reduces this set's offensive prowess, but brings with it a number of advantages with it. Raikou's excellent Speed allows it to activate Roar with Sleep Talk and shuffle out many opponents before they can act through Sleep Talk, and it can also wear down opposing teams through entry hazard damage. Roar Raikou It also acts as an ironclad counter to Pokemon like SubCM or WishCM Jirachi, as it can come in, absorb a weak attack, and Roar it Jirachi out with ease.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs on this set are less offensively-minded, as this is a more support-oriented set. HP is maximized to provide bulk, while Speed is maximized to outrun Infernape and Gengar. Leftovers are used to keep Raikou alive healthy while it's asleep, and also increase its survivability.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are especially effective on this set for multiple reasons. First, it's an effective counter for a ton of special attackers, and can force a lot of Pokemon out with ease. Second, if Raikou is using Roar, it can shuffle or even speed-shuffle opponents around with Sleep Talk and Roar, racking up incredible entry hazard damage. Skarmory is the best Spiker to pair with Raikou, as it counters many Ground-types, and Raikou can switch in on many of the special attackers that threaten it. Forretress also does well, as it can lay down both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and it can also Rapid Spin away hazards that can cause problems for Raikou. It's also a good idea to carry a Pokemon that can absorb Trick, as many special attackers are capable of crippling Raikou by Tricking it a Choice item. Flygon makes an excellent candidate, as it is immune to Earthquake, and can also scout switches for Raikou to come in on with U-turn.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Raikou has a couple of neat toys that it can use that aren't viable enough for full sets but can still provide some niche usefulness. Raikou gets Reflect and Light Screen, making it a decent user of dual screens, and it can also combine Reflect and Calm Mind to reduce both physical and special damage significantly. Charge Beam can be used over Calm Mind on the offensive set for a more offensive feel for the set. If Raikou can hit an opponent on the switch with Charge Beam and pick up a Special Attack boost, it can allow for some KOs that it wouldn't normally be able to achieve. Finally, Event Raikou can use Weather Ball on a Rain Dance set, giving it perfect accuracy Thunder as well as a Rain-boosted 100 Base Power Water-type attack to use against Ground-types.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Blissey is the number 1 counter to pretty much every single Raikou set. As long as Toxic Spikes aren't up, Raikou effectively has no chance against a healthy Blissey. The only thing that can cause problems for Blissey is either a RestTalk Calm Mind set or 2 layers of Toxic Spikes, but other than that, Blissey can wall Raikou, Thunder Wave or Toxic it, and then Seismic Toss it away. Tyranitar is also a solid counter to Raikou, though Hidden Power Fighting and Aura Sphere deal significant damage to it. However, Scarfed Tyranitar outspeeds Raikou and can easily KO it with either Earthquake or Stone Edge. Swampert walls all variants of Raikou without that lack Hidden Power Grass, while Flygon and Gliscor wall variants without Hidden Power Ice, and all three can eliminate Raikou with Earthquake. Snorlax can have issues switching into Life Orb or Choice Specs Thunderbolt, but it does threaten a KO with Earthquake. Hippowdon can KO Raikou with Earthquake and isn't KOed by a super effective Hidden Power. Finally, Electivire can serve as a situational counter to Raikou, as it can pick up a Motor Drive boost from its Thunderbolt and hit it Raikou with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Toxic Spikes get their own mention here, as they absolutely demolish every single set other than RestTalk. Even a single layer of Toxic Spikes can cripple Raikou to the point that it can no longer sweep. Offensive Raikou doesn't last very long when it's taking 22% damage per turn, and SubCM can't stall Pokemon out with Substitute when it's losing HP instead of gaining it. Roserade is an excellent source of Toxic Spikes, as its significant Special Defense and resistance to Electric can allow it to come in on Raikou later in the match as well. Forretress can also lay down Toxic Spikes, as well as spin away a Raikou user's Toxic Spikes on its owner's side of the field.</p>

immaculately written with hardly anything to nitpick

I saw that this was marked as done and almost didn't believe it. I'm going to upload this now before it ends up being an illusion!

EDIT:
Still some varied who/that/which errors I had to sort out. Also, in more than a few cases there were some nasty run-on sentences or improper subject/verb agreement. Not a big deal, though, and this is now on-site! Great job!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)