Ability: Shadow Tag
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Mega-Gengar is my fast AF mega opener, with proper nature, can outspeed a Whimsicott (without prankster obviously). Shadow ball is my ghost type STAB, with sludge bomb being a fantastic counter for fairy types. Protect lets me delay turns, and also defend from Landorous's earthquake. While a lot of people use focus blast, I find that due to the accuracy I can only land 2 hits in a row 49% of the time, and so gives a 49% chance to 2HKO, which just isn't good enough when I can rely instead on the STAB. Hidden power ice lets me get rid of Landorous and much of the dragon type metagame in one hit. Shadow tag also stops the opponents from switching out their first decisions, applying much more pressure for the opponents to play their strongest pokemon first.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flash cannon
- Protect

Clanging scales is a great STAB for damage to the opposing side. Clangorous Soulblaze is Fantastic when coupled with Shadow tag, while it is important to keep in mind that if it hits neither of the opposing pokemon you will not get the stat changes. Close combat is the fighting type STAB. I would honestly prefer SpA based moves, but the 70% accuracy on focus blast can be really damaging. Flash cannon counters fairy types if I'm not playing Mega Gengar, and of course, protect.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Protect

This is the most questionable pokemon on my team but is my only real rain counter. blizzard takes out dragon types and Landorous in one hit, and is 100% accurate in a blizzard. Freezedry is useful for squashing rain teams as it is 4x effective on both Swampert and Pelliper, it can also be used as a secondary STAB in case the opponent has Wide guard. Aurora veil reduces all damage taken by one third and can be the difference between winning and losing in many battles.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 240 HP / 28 Atk / 12 Def / 228 SpD
Brave Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Wide Guard
- Protect

I feel Celesteela is probably one of the most underused Pokemon in VGC. Leech Seed lets Celesteela heal a massive amount of health every turn when coupled with leftovers, and while it cannot be used on grass types like Whimsicott, I find it still proves very effective when paired with shadow tag, as Gengar can one-shot any grass type pokemon. When faced with lite Pokemon like Whimsicott I can also rely on heavy slam for some serious weight based damage. Wide guard and protect let me cycle and retain almost infinite health when both opponents are leech seeded, meaning unless you have super effective moves, Celesteela is going to be one massive pain in the behind.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Tapu Koko's thunderbolt gives him a good primary STAB attack, and electric terrain paired with a life orb can deal massive damage. Taunt is helpful against set-up pokemon but I prefer volt switch in case the opponent has an earthquake spammer or the like., but as I almost never open with Tapu Koko it is a bit of a throw on. Dazzling Gleam is not terribly powerful, but it gives Tapu Koko a good STAB that hits multiple foes.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Landorous is possibly the most common pokemon appearing in VGC and with good reason. Earthquake lets him destroy non-flying types with devastating consistency. If Earthquake is not effective, then rockslide hits flying types for super effective damage, and Charizard for 4x effective damage which, thanks to his choice scarf, he can easily outspeed. U-turn is useful if I am not happy with the opponents Landorous is facing and can get in some damage on the way out. Superpower's high power and great super effective coverage make it valuable against foes such as Mega Kangaskhan and Kartana, and it provides a strong neutral single-target option with which to finish off weakened foes.

Tell me what you think in the replies below! I am aware that the team's synergy is not perfect, but it works fairly well for me.

Thomas VGC 2018 wallpap.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)