Not open for further replies.

Name: Reshiram
Type: Dragon / Fire
Abilities: Turboblaze
Base Stats: 100 / 120 / 100 / 150 / 120 / 90
Movepool: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/reshiram/moves
Stats and movepool unconfirmed

General Description:
Reshiram certainly saw some improvements in this generation. Thanks to Defog, it's easy to remove those pesky hazards that plagued it before. The Fire-typing actually has something useful as it removes the Fairy weakness most of the other Dragon types suffer from.

The nerf to sunlight's time, along with Assault Vest might make things difficult for Reshiram somewhat. It's Flame Charge set is harder to use now thanks to Sun dying out faster (the Tailwind set could have trouble too, though that often is short, and still can do things like let stuff outrun Geomancy Xerneas). Assault Vest can be annoying on stuff like special defensive Dialga, as it could tank your Blue Flare even in Sun, then KO with a Dragon move. It's two key dragon moves also got a nerf as well. There's also the fact it may compete with Ho-Oh for a team slot, and the latter more or less walls Reshiram due Defog (although Defog also makes it easier to use both of them together on a team!)

However, the fact that it can actually switch in more often now thanks to Defog will allow it to fire off Blue Flare's more often, and 8 turns of sunlight should be plenty of time for it. Reshiram itself might also make for a good Assault Vest user, as it will help for opposing special Dragon moves, surfs from Kyogre, and Fairy attacks (Geomancy Moonblast will still hurt, although it won't KO. Reshiram can't do much in return though thanks to boosted Special Defense). The Sunny Day set is now more interesting due to Groudon not being able to provide Sunlight as easily.

I find it a little hard to tell if Reshiram will will be better or worse this gen. I'll probably do more Ubers matches with it; and see how it goes. Not being weak to Fairy, and being able to actually switch it in more often should help a lot.

Last edited:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I'm kind-of interested in a non-Choiced attacking set because you can lure in Ho-Oh and smack it with a 4x Stone Edge, and then hit everything else with Blue Flare. I think LO with Draco, Blue Flare, Roost and Stone Edge could be a solid set with Defog support.

Exactly what I was going to say. Dragon+Fire isn't what it once was. That said, I still love Reshiram. If I ever make an Ubers team, safe to say that Reshiram, Groudon, and Palkia will form its core.
Just because one almost viable mon and one unviable mon gets resistances to those STABs doesn't mean "Dragon+Fire" isn't what it once was.

Reshiram is a decent mon, but sdef Kyogre is even better now, and permasun gone really messes up some things about it. Speed stat isn't too good as always, Choice Scarf sets could be decent when sun is up- Stone Edge lures for Ho-oh are always welcome too.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Blue Flare is literally the only thing Reshiram has over Kyurem-W. And even then there is the risk it got nerfed like the other major special attacks though we can't know for certain until we can transfer it from Pokebank. I'm going to assume it's now 120 BP like the old Fire Blast until proven otherwise.

Manaphy

Blue Flare is literally the only thing Reshiram has over Kyurem-W. And even then there is the risk it got nerfed like the other major special attacks though we can't know for certain until we can transfer it from Pokebank. I'm going to assume it's now 120 BP like the old Fire Blast until proven otherwise.
There's literally no reason to assume that Blue Flare got nerfed at all. Additionally Reshiram doesn't have a shit typing like Kyurem-W does.

Wrong. Reshiram can switch in onto Fairy moves that Kyurem cannot. Reshiram is also a great Fire and Steel resist, able to switch in on Heatran's Fire Moves, Ho-Oh Choice locked Sacred Fire, Palkia and Dialga's Fire Blast, Scizor's Bullet Punch, Genesect (watch out for explosion), Metagross, the list probably goes on. Reshiram and Kyurem W are used in similar yet very different ways, and I believe that people are underestimating his abilities. I was thinking of using him in a core with Xerneas someday as well because they cover each other's weaknesses. Also, sun might last only 5 turns, yet so does rain, and STAB Fire and Dragon moves still hurt a lot, especially coming from base 150 Sp. Atk. Very underrated mon.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wrong. Reshiram can switch in onto Fairy moves that Kyurem cannot. Reshiram is also a great Fire and Steel resist, able to switch in on Heatran's Fire Moves, Ho-Oh Choice locked Sacred Fire, Palkia and Dialga's Fire Blast, Scizor's Bullet Punch, Genesect (watch out for explosion), Metagross, the list probably goes on. Reshiram and Kyurem W are used in similar yet very different ways, and I believe that people are underestimating his abilities. I was thinking of using him in a core with Xerneas someday as well because they cover each other's weaknesses. Also, sun might last only 5 turns, yet so does rain, and STAB Fire and Dragon moves still hurt a lot, especially coming from base 150 Sp. Atk. Very underrated mon.
Reshiram's typing is a little better defensively, but it's hardly worth mentioning all the moves it can switch into, especially as it will often lose against Dialga, Palkia and Xerneas (Arceus-Fairy too after SR, or outside of sun if you lack Roost), while no one uses Metagross. More notably, all of these wonderful defensive qualities are things Ho-Oh does better, so while Reshiram may be better defensively than Kyurem-W in this metagame, this does not give it a niche; it should be used for its offensive ability, maybe its ability to lure certain threats (Sunny Day vs Kyogre or Stone Edge vs Ho-Oh), not what it can do defensively.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
^ Exactly. Considering the only users of fairy-type moves in ubers are Xerneas and Fairyceus, even if Reshiram switches on those, what is it going to do next? Xerneas will use Geomancy and Arceus will CM in its face. It's going to lose regardless. Currently Reshiram suffers from a middle child syndrome when compared to Kyurem-W and Ho-oh so unless it gets some significant boost it's stricly a sun team pokemon, and even in those it faces strong competition from the aforementioned pokemon.

Manaphy

You guys really just have to realize the huge disparity between Fire and Ice, defensively. One has the second most resists and the other has the fewest. Ice also has far worse weaknesses to Fighting, Rock, and Steel (way more common now with Fairies). Kyurem-W may have 20 more SpAtk but typing-wise, offensively and defensively it's outclassed by Reshiram.

Obviously neither are defensive Pokemon but both need to take hits eventually.

This. I really don't see why people call Fire a bad defensive typing.
Probably because of the water/ground/rock weakness. Weak to water means there's a lot of flexible Pokemon that are ready to hit you, weak to ground means say hi to EQ, weak to rock means 25%-50% hp loss from Stealth Rock.

1. Bad defensive typing.

2. Sun neft.

3. Fairy type introduced into the metagame.

4. Ho-oh is better.
1. It's not supposed to be defensive.

2. Have fun taking its unresisted 130 Base Power STABs. Reshiram wasn't just used on Sun teams last gen either.

3. Reshiram isn't weak to Fairy.

4. Ho-Oh and Reshiram do different things.

2. Have fun taking its unresisted 130 Base Power STABs. Reshiram wasn't just used on Sun teams last gen either.

1. An offensive mon would appreciate switch-in opportunities.

2. Nuclear-level Blue Flare in sun was one of Reshiram's only selling points over Kyurem-W.

3. One of Reshiram stab now has an immunity, namely, Fairy.

4. Ho-oh and Reshiram complete with each other for a teamslot.

1. An offensive mon would appreciate switch-in opportunities.

2. Nuclear-level Blue Flare in sun was one of Reshiram's only selling points over Kyurem-W.

3. One of Reshiram stab now has an immunity, namely, Fairy.

4. Ho-oh and Reshiram complete with each other for a teamslot.
1. Somehow its typing suddenly isn't good when it was good enough last gen? Also Dragon is an amazing defensive typing, especially added along with Fire.

2. I fail to see how Kyurem-W has the level of coverage that Reshiram has. It has to rely on Fusion Flare if it wants perfect neutral coverage.

3. It's not spamming Draco Meteor too much, is it? Xerneas can't take hits from it, and Fairy Arceus can't take too many either.

4. So do Kyurem-W and Ferrothorn. Who cares.

FYI there is something called STAB motherfucking Ice Beam that Kyurem-W has, it just doesn't need to spam many other moves and that is a big a selling point over Resh. Base 95 speed and resist to water is also very suitable in the meta.

If I remember correctly, Reshiram was utter crap in Ubers last gen because it was weather reliant, outclassed by other dragons outside of the sun, had terrible Speed, and was weak to SR and common attacking types. Apart from having its SR weakness mitigated with Defog, I don't really see how any of that has changed.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus

Reshiram was hardly used at all last gen, never mind what weather. At any rate, it had no place outside sun teams; sand teams could not fit it and rain teams are clearly not where it belongs.

Also, what exactly differentiates Ho-Oh and Reshiram significantly? Both have the stats, movepool and offensive typing for a powerful wallbreaker, although the different ends of the spectrum obviously make some difference (Ho-Oh doesn't do too well against Giratina unless it has a Choice Band, Reshiram is not getting around Chansey or Resttalk Kyogre without running moves specifically for them). Both also get Flame Charge, Tailwind and Roost for what it's worth. At this point Reshiram is probably better; its primary offensive stat is higher, it has access to more powerful moves, Turboblaze is handy at times and speed and such are the same.

However, now we get to the other attributes, and this is where Ho-Oh is far better. Let's start with Sacred Fire; a 50% chance to burn makes it a pain to switch into for most things, and allows Ho-Oh to severely cripple some of its major checks. Where the abilities go, Turboblaze is occasionally very handy, but Regenerator is undoubtedly among the best abilities in the game, at least on a Pokemon so well suited to it as Ho-Oh is. It has gargantuan special bulk and better defensive typing to take advantage of it. In this metagame

Also, since you do not understand the concept of competing for a teamslot, two Pokemon that perform similar roles and have similar typing synergistically compete for a teamslot. Kyurem-W and Ferrothorn are entirely different Pokemon and do not compete for a teamslot on any level; Reshiram and Ho-Oh clearly fit both of the criteria.

If I remember correctly, Reshiram was utter crap in Ubers last gen because it was weather reliant, outclassed by other dragons outside of the sun, had terrible Speed, and was weak to SR and common attacking types. Apart from having its SR weakness mitigated with Defog, I don't really see how any of that has changed.
I know you deleted but it was a good post so I just had to undelete it. :p

Anyways, comparing one thing to another has it's limits. There certainly are some similarities between Kyurem-W/Ho-Oh and Reshiram but harping on those to the point of completely dismissing Reshiram isn't helping. Reshiram STILL has that unique Blue Flare and although there is no longer perma-sun, there is also no perma-rain. Tbh, the biggest problem with Blue Flare was there being too much rain, not that there wasn't enough sun. You may not be able to superroast things with nuclear Blue Flares anymore, but having something consistent is a massive advantage and arguably fair trade, even advantageous. The other main issue was Stealth Rock which was a HUGE issue for Reshiram as it didn't like the hit-and-run strategy DMs and changing weather forced on it. Do these changes save Reshiram? Probably not. Reshiram still suffers from a mediocre defensive typing that hurts it when it attempts to creat turns, even more noticable now that it doesn't have sun nearly as often to OHKO things as easily. It does mean that Reshiram has changed from an anti-sun, counterteam type Pokemon to something with it's own consistent merits which IMO makes it a more legitimate choice on teams. Reshiram is a ridiculously good punish to Groudon now and not being forced out by support Fairyceus switch-ins are already two noteworthy advantages to it.

Overall, though, I don't think it's that good. Going to be another niche choice this metagame imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)