SM UU Rope-kun (Meet the Gang-star Beyond the Wall) #1720

Ropekun.png

Hi
Hello Smogon, the tier shift with Mamoswine approaches, so I've decided to share my team and explain how much I enjoyed to play it.

I made this team to test Rope-kun (Comfey) in a metagame dominated by fast Dragon-, Dark- and Fighting-typed Pokémon. In result, Rope-kun is an excellent anti-metagame Pokémon and he accuracy resume my play style : using garbage Pokémon because it's funny. In global, the team has a great synergy between members which balance the lack of viability of each member

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Cart (Magneton) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Comfey @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Triage
EVs: 236 HP / 68 Def / 184 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis

Armored (Kommo-o) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Scald
- Poison Jab
- Pain Split

Attack (Decidueye) @ Decidium Z
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Spirit Shackle
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade

The Rope Crew

Kommo-o is a good offensive lead, a good answer to Dark- and Fire-typed Pokémon, which shows how much of a good partner Kommo-o is for Decidueye. It's not only a good partner to the bird, it also has the ability to blast off really powerful Clanging Scall and Endeavor, especially by abusing double switches to keep the pressure. Without too much thinking.
His ability to weaken stalls, Flying- and Poison-typed Pokémon is a good thing for Decidueye and Rope-kun. Overall, Kommo-o is really useful on the defensive side, it's my most solid check to Manectric.
I chose the Endeavor+Taunt set for two good reasons: the nobrain factor and the instant pressure-power. Overcoat is here to deal with spore better and to preserve the last HP against sand or hail.

Nature & EVs.
A classic 252/252 spread to try the speedtie against Nidoking and outspeed some defensive Gliscor and prevents SR with Taunt.

The team has to be played really differently, whether or not the Entry Hazards are on the field. Qwilfish is here to set up these shits. It's basically kind of a win condition. The team plays a lot on residuale damages. Without spikes Rope-kun miss some importants OHKO or 2HKO. Qwilfish is my go-to check for (Azumarill), Beedrill, Altaria, Aerodactyl, Aggron and a reliable tool in order to get weaken/kill Scizor, the best Rope-kun counter.
Additionally, it helps to check fighting-typed Pokémon so I don't have to rely on Decidueye too much. Qwilfish is also an excellent answer to volturn teams with Rocky Helmet and this allow me to play against them easier.
About the set, Poison Jab could seem weird, but it's incredibly useful to cripple Altaria, Primarina and Breloom.

Nature & EVs.
A 252/252+ spread, no speed is needed, I just maximized the bulk to tank easier.

Magneton is always ready to wreck a hole in the opponent team for Rope-kun. On the defensive side, Magneton can be a check to Pidgeot, Togekiss, Serperior, Crobat, Empoleon, and even Scizor. On the offensive side, Volt Switch and his synergy with Aerodactyl helps to keep the momentum without giving up any pressure on my opponent.
I tried to play screech over Toxic to trap easier with Aerodactyl, but Toxic helps to deal with Hippowdon, Swampert and CM Latias.

Nature & EVs.
A classic 252/252+ spread to try the speed tie against other Magneton

I needed a Pokémon to beat stalls, threats Latias, blocks rapid spin and if possible a check to Breloom. Decidueye fills all these roles. Against stall is a key for the victory, you need to taunt something like Blissey or a bulky water with Kommo-O or Rope-kun, you hope you are not burned by scald and eventually you can sweep the opponent team.

Nature & EVs.
Adamant is far most superior to Jolly on Decidueye, you gain OHKO with Z-Spirate Shake against Scizor and Muk-a at +2 and after one SD shadow sneak OHKO Latias.

In a team with Rope-kun, I must have answer to check Crobat and Fire-typed Pokémon, say hello to Aerodactyl. He has an excellent synergy with my other trappers, magneton kills steel-typed Pokémon for Aerodactyl. Decidueye switchs on ground- and water-typed Pokémon. In last, Aerodactyl deals with Fire and Poison-Pokémon like Crobat, Marowak or Chandelure, making Aerodactyl able to pull its weight when facing Balanced teams. The flying dinosaur is my primary Gliscor’s answer, he can handle Gliscor, retaliate with ice fang and finish him with pursuit.
Its excellent speed and coverage allow me to RK most of the metagame specially Manectric.

Nature & EVs.
252/252+ spread is needed to trap Beedrill and try the speed tie against other Aerodactyl.

Defensively, Rope-kun is my only "safe" switch-in for Hydreigon and Kommo-o. Thanks GF, triage makes him my first revenge killer before Aerodactyl. It scaresout Latias, Altaria, Hydreigon, Breloom, Sharpedo, Crawdaunt, Kommo-o, etc... Taunt is just an extra to avoid toxic and does not be an absolute deadweight against stalls.
Offensively, Draining Kiss with +3 priority is a nightmare for offensive teams. They needs Fire-, Poison- or Steel-typed Pokémon to check Rope-kun and the team is build to trap them or to weak them with EH. In someway, Rope-kun is my late game sweeper and have ability to reverse a desperate game, try him, you will kiss him.

Nature & EVs.
Modest Nature and Pixie plate transforms draining kiss a strong and a reliable healing move with its 75% draining-power . I forget the "how" and the "why" of the spread, sorry. \o/

Threats
Metagross: AgiliGross. Click x.
Primarina: Spec never hits with HP otherwise click x.
Swampert: CB pert is something I dislike to face. You do one mistake, he does one kill.

Other threats exist like Pidgeot+Moltres or Latias, but they're manageable with pursuit.

Conclusion
The team is easy to handle after few game you will understand how broken is the combinaison between Fairy priority+trapping. Decidueye can be a one man army against stall. However, the team have few weakness, they are not so common but they exist.

Last words.
I hope you have taken the same pleasure reading and playing this team as I did while spamming Draining Kiss. Good luck for the UUPL.

First of all, I LOVE THIS TEAM! Comfey is a surprisingly efficient revenge killer, and I like how it is supported by the rest of the team. I have stolen it, but I use your name of course. I got a little question, how do you handle Nidoking? It usually has the coverage and the speed to threaten every single member, and I have encountered some focus sash lead variants. I guess you have to sac something , do some damage and then revenge kill with mega aero, but it is generally a big threat.

Gratz bro for the love,
I agree.
First, when your opponent has nidoking you must lead with Aero, then click Earthquake and finish him with pursuit. If the opponent uses subking you need to preserve kommo-o. In fact, the team preview is very important. Anyway, sac something is not dramatic, in many case Nidoking is used in -(balanced) offense, once Nidoking is dead (and the steel trapped) comfey would reverse the game easily.

buddy i've been using this team and im in top 10 rn under the alt turtnator oshim. i wanted to RMT it myself because i coudnt find the source(id put a disclaimer of course) , but i finally have and just wanna say this team deserves more attention. you put a lot of thought building this team and i love it. especially considering there are so many "garbage" mons. id also like you to change title bro cause the mons really aren't garbage. they work perfectly together and the synergy is unquestionable.

i changed kommo-o to sash and it worked out better for me vs primarina matchup.
i think im like 40-3 record with this team, it's that good. ill add some replays

add mamoswine , bisharp and moltres to threatlist btw

vs meta trends https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-830902402
vs HO https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-830856054
vs fat https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-830457206

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)