Gen 7 [SM OU] Necrozma Trick Room

Hi,

Trying to build a team around Necrozma since I like the mon and ended up going for trick room. Looking for advice on how I can improve my team.

Necrozma @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Trick Room
- Power Gem

Bulky Necrozma set that sets up trick room and provides coverage. Photon Geyser is standard psychic stab while heatwave hits Ferrothorn and Kartana. Experimented a bit with Earth Power and Flash Cannon but both ended up seeming lackluster while power gem can hit Mega Zard and the odd Volcarona lead that attempts to quiver dance as Necrozma guarantees lives a hit from Volcarona. Iapapa Berry because just really not sure what else to put on it. Tried weakness policy but most of the time when it was proced Necrozma just died anyways.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Offensive trick room attacker that synergises well with Marowak-Alola in offensive typing. Knock off is a good stab and utility move that is my answer against Chansey and many other tanky stall mons. While aqua jet is useful priority to revenge kill. Swords Dance isn't used very often as most of the time I'm switching hard into trick room to try and pick up KO's and the extra +2 isnt really relevant but I'm not sure what better move to put on it.

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Magearna is my go-to mon for alot of situations as its the only mon that switches in to Greninja's Dark pulse and many other threats on the OU ladder. Fleur cannon hits hard and can kill offensive Landorus after some chip. Focus blast is usually just fodder for All Out Pummeling which enables me to OHKO Heatran. Volt Switch used to be thunderbolt but the utility from Volt Switch allows me to keep up tempo which I feel like works better. Magearna is usually the one setting up trick room for me as it can tank alot of hits and pivot but as such means I have alot of weight on this mon so looking for ways to spread out the work to my other mons.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang

Marowak-Alola hits like a truck with Thick Club and with Trick room enabled it can OHKO most threats with the combination of Bonemerang and Flare Blitz. Decent typing allows me to switch hard into moves like flare blitz and not take too much from Kartana's leaf blade. SD is again rarely used due to me killing most mons in 1 hit anyways but not sure what else to put on him.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Mega-Mawile, another offensive trick room attacker, provides fairy coverage and with the lack of flash cannon on magearna, runs iron head to hit the odd Gardevoir and perhaps Tapu Bulu. Sucker Punch is standard priority that allows me to revenge kill especially when trick room isnt up and my trick roomers are down/too weak to come in. Mawile isn't as useful as the other attackers and I don't find myself using it that often, its mostly here for specific situations. Its intimidate allows me to make a 1 time switch into a mon I wouldn't be able to and then revenge kill it with sucker punch

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Lunar Dance

Cresselia is a crucial part of this team both as a Trick Roomer and the only switch in to ground type moves usually coming from Garchomp and Landorus-T. Extremely good defensive stats allow it to switch in to mons that have somewhat setup and get up trick room. Ice beam is used to stop landorus/garchomp from clicking SD. Lunar dance is a great move that allows me to save an otherwise useless trick room attacker on my team on low hp and also is necessary to keep up tempo as Cresselias low SPA and only 1 offensive move means it barely threatens anything. Toxic was put on simply because I never seemed to use moonlight as it seemed counterproductive to stall my own trick room.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Necrozma is the core of this team and the mon I want to build around so not to keen on taking it out for changes.

I think in terms of the mons used, this team has good balance.. I’m not going to dispute the viability of trick room, but I will say that some of the sets need work, and the mons used could be way better.
Let’s start with Necrozma. I personally think the biggest thing wrong with the set is the item. I’m seeing great potential for weakness policy Necrozma under trick room being a huge threat. It’s bulky spread allows it to live a lot of super-effective hits (I’d recommend giving it the spdef EVs to confirm a live on a dark pulse from Ash Gren. This will trigger weakness policy and it becomes a force to be reckoned with.
My second big issue is with the Magearna set. The third user of trick room is not needed in my opinion, as you shouldn’t even be setting it up every chance you get. Fight Z is not as good as Fairy Z in your case, as no set up moves makes you unable to fire off a Fleur Cannon without getting a ridiculous spatk drop. I recommend the following set. Calm Mind, Fleur Cannon, Flash Cannon, Volt Switch/Ice Beam/Focus Blast. I’m telling you to run whatever you want for the fourth move because all are viable in their own way, so pick what your favorite is. Flash cannon is important because...
Your Mawile-Mega should run knock off. Mega Mawile has 600 attack without an SD, so running stab isn’t really an issue since it hits like a truck anyways. Knocking off an item with Mawile is very good, and most people won’t expect sucker punch after knock off which leads for some surprise kills. I think there’s a nice core potential with these three mons, but your other three should probably be changed around.
First of all, you want something on your team that can win without trick room. Additionally, your team gets washed by hazards, so you want defog/spin support. That’s why I believe Crawdaunt and Marowak don’t have a place on this team. If you want Cress to be your confirmed TR setter, then these other two should be gone. I instead recommend Toxapex. It’s sucky to use, but the haze support helps your team from being weak to sweepers and gives you hazards. Recover, Toxic Spikes, Recover/Toxic, and Scald for the moveset. I also recommend helmet Tornadus T. Defog is nice, and it sets up a bulky regenerator core with Toxapex. The set can be whatever you like as long as defog is on it.

Your gameplan should be to win with Magearna every game. You should play to weaken every Magearna counter on the opposing team, then set up trick room with Cress and sweep with Mag. Necrozma is another sweeping option if you can get the weakness policy boost, and Mawile is a good early option to get 1-2 kills no matter what off an SD. Best of luck.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey so there is a bit to unpack here, but with the rate by hematemesis I couldn't not post something. Firstly this team is resembling the most infamous TR team of SM: Uxie / Cresselia / Magearna / Crawdaunt / Alolan Marowak / Mega Mawile. It's important to state that while Trick Room can make use of some fatter mons it is very much a hyper offensive team and should be treated as much. This means an emphasis should be made on setting up Trick Room and ending games quickly by punching holes in the other team maximizing the limited number of Trick Room turns you have. This is the main reason I wanted to make this post. The idea of adding a fat defensive core in Toxapex and Tornadus-T, is just bad. For Trick Room you need offensive fire power, and that's not something mons like Toxapex can provide.

Honestly I imagine this team was created by taking the team I posted earlier, and adding a Necrozma over Uxie. With this you lose Stealth Rock and it provides a second offensive setter which isn't necessarily a great thing. Uxie was a fat mon that got up Stealth Rock, set Trick Room, and then would either die or Memento into another mon to maximize your turns. If anything the role of setter offensive Necrozma most closely associates with is Magearna, which is much better at the role.

My overall recommendation would just be to use the 6 mons I mentioned earlier. That said if you really want Necrozma maybe try a bulky setter with Rocks, or try replacing Magearna with your Necrozma. Honestly haven't played a ton of Gen 7 since Gen 8 started, but I wanted to make a quick note on the rate and try to push you in the right direction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)