Sugimori-Color DP Sprite Dex

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been bugging me for a while now that many Pokemon really aren't colored well at all. Fearow has a red beak, as opposed to a light colored pink beak, Arcanine has light gray stripes as opposed to dark gray and black, and Venusaur has yellow spots on the large flower on its back when it never had it.

Therefore, I started recoloring sprites in a past topic of mine, but because of the lack of organization, there was always a certain amount of wait before I continued to keep recoloring sprites and the fact that I kept jumping from random Pokemon to Pokemon didn't speed things up either.

I've decided to go in order, from #001 - #493 recoloring both animation frames for each Pokemon and their back sprite. I won't take any requests to recolor certain Pokemon, because this just slows me down and it doesn't help me keep all 493 Pokemon and their sprites in order. I also won't be incorporating the comparison of the real sprite to the recolor because it really enlarges the file size by a lot and it serves no purpose other than to compare. The point of the Sprite Recolor Dex is to show recolors using Sugimori's choice of colors, not to compare.

[Incomplete] [Picture Size ~1.1 MB]
Sugimori Color Kanto Sprite-Dex
#001 Bulbasaur - #062 Poliwrath

Do keep in mind that these recolors take a long time, because each Pokemon has 3 individual sprites. To get to Pokemon #345, for example, I will have to recolor 345 x 3 = 1,035 individual sprites. This is by no means an easy or quick task.

I use Sugimori's official Pokemon art (The lead designer in the drawing of Pokemon) as a color reference to which hue the Pokemon should really be, and therefore improving the sprite quality. Several Pokemon caught me off-guard with strange colors, such as the deep pink color of Parasect's mushrooms as opposed to what we've been used to seeing as red. Evidently, even these strange colors that Sugimori used were implemented as the hue for the coloration of the Pokemon, despite what we've been used to seeing. In my humble opinion, after getting used to seeing the color of Parasect's mushroom, I've grown fond of the better color.

If you have any questions on how I color these Pokemon, I use Photoshop CS3. You can get a free 30-Day Trial download with all the features over at Adobe's homepage. I use the color siphon tool to siphon the color from the Sugimori art, and I then optimize the color for what purpose it's used for. For example, I usually increase saturation and brightness by 5% or so on most colors. I use the Magic Wand tool with 0 Toleration to select which colors correspond to the siphoned color. I then use a layer below the one with the sprites to fill in the color. Once each color has been corresponded to a certain place, I set the sprites layer to the Luminosity setting and it takes in the hue of the Sugimori siphoned color from the layer below. If you don't have any knowledge of Photoshop, what I've said probably didn't make any sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)