Sunny Day Superstars |Drought Doubles | #180 and Rising!

NOW #77 ON PS XY OU DOUBLES LADDER!!!

Hello everybody! This is my first RMT, so take it easy on me! However, I have been playing competetively mostly in singles for about a year now. None of you may know me at all because I am extremely new to PS!, but I realized that I wanted to start a new team that was different and surprising, yet not gimmicky. I'm here to show you guys a team I have been working on for a while. I now present you with...

Sunny Day Superstars

This team is centralized around leading with a core of two offensive Pokemon in Mega Charizard-Y and Garchomp, and giving them support to kill as much as possible. The purpose of them both is to get a sweep with the combination of Heat Wave + Earthquake/Rock Slide - or at least damage the opposing team to the point of no return.

This team is used in XY Battle Spot Doubles. This is different from the VGC format and Smogon Doubles. Please keep this in mind when you rate!

THE MAIN MEN

THE SUPPORTS

Onto the Analysis:

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

Garchomp is here simply because he is insanely powerful and pairs extemely well with Mega Charizard-Y. I nearly always lead with him along with Charizard. Yache to survive Ice Beams from anything that techs it, such as Tyranitar and Cresselia. Anything without STAB rarely OHKOs Garchomp with Ice Beam. EVs and nature are to maximize speed and damage, Earthquake and Rock Slide as main spread moves, Dragon Claw for a nice strong STAB. Protect because it's pretty standard and to try and weaken things with Ice Beam so I can KO and also to scout.

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Amoonguss is my sleep support to neuter anything Charizard or Garchomp can't OHKO together. EVs are to maximize special bulk, and Sitrus Berry is to regain health and pairs well with Rage Powder. IVs because Amoonguss is already so slow, I figured I would make it flourish in the occasional Trick Room. Rage Powder keeps Charizard or Garchomp healthy to pull off a sweep, Giga Drain to do some damage if I am taunted and also take a nice chunk from the ever-common Rotom-W while regaining HP.Clear Smog to screw over any Power-Up Punch Mega Kangaskhan I may run into.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
- Quick Guard

Terrakion is an alternative choice to Garchomp. I honestly don't know how well he fits on this team. Life Orb to do maximum damage and get a lot of OHKOs it can't normally. Rock Slide is a great STAB spread move to take out Talonflame, Charizard-Y, and do massive damage to both Pokemon on the other side. I teched X-Scissor to deal with Cresselia but honestly I can see maybe putting something else here. Quick Guard to block Brave Birds, Bullet Punches, Mach Punches, Aqua Jet, and other Priority that Terrakion [or his partner] may be weak to.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- SolarBeam
- Protect

This guy is the king of Doubles at the moment. Along with Garchomp, he is the star of the team. 90% of battles I will lead with him and go for Heat Wave. If the opponent has Tyranitar/Politoed/Weather Setter, I will Protect instead of going Mega and Mega Evolve next turn to eliminate other weathers. If I see the opponent obviously has Charizard-Y as well I will go with Terrakion instead and OHKO right off the bat. The set is pretty self-explanatory, but EVs and nature are to hit hard and fast. Heat Wave is a great STAB spread move that hits hard even on resists. Air Slash is a secondary STAB to
on Hitmontop, Conkeldurr, Machamp, and Infernape. SolarBeam is teched to eliminate Rotom-W among others. Protect is standard to scout and make sure sun gets up.

Note: If you go for SolarBeam on Rotom-W, go for a spread move with your other Pokemon. Almost all Rotom-W run enough EVs to only take 99.3% max damage from SolarBeam.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

Heatran is here to benefit from the scorching support weather known as sun. I run an Air Balloon to avoid getting hit by Garchomp's Earthquake and ground moves in general. I run Substitute + Protect to stall out other weathers and be able to take massive hits such as Drain Punch from Conkeldurr and Earth Power from opposing Heatran. Heat Wave again is a great STAB that benefits from sun. Earth Power is teched on to take out opposing Heatran and other stuff weak to it.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Helping Hand
- Toxic
- Moonlight

I fell that Cresselia is the weak link to my team, although she does help Garchomp/Terrakion/Charizard get some clutch KOs. EVs are complicated but are actually a standard spread to survive common attacks. Calm to maximize bulk. Thunder Wave is for speed control and also to get some lucky parahax. Again, Helping Hand to get those much neeeded KOs. Toxic in case it comes down to 1 vs 1 against a wall. Also, with Toxic, I don't need to worry about gimmicky Sturdy Shedinja sets. Moonlight helps me stay alive and support longer, and it gets boosted to 66% with sun up.

[Image is edited to save space, not trying to pull anything here]

Thanks so much for rating! I am open to really any changes no matter big or small, so thanks so much! Currently #180 on the ladder and rising!

Last edited:
It seems to me that nothing on your team actually benefits from the Sun other than a boosted Fire attack on Charizard and Heatran and the moonlight HP increase. Other than that it seems like your team functions not that much better when Sun is up then when it isn't. Take advantage of it with chlorophyll sweeper or something. I know its not that useful of a rate but honestly Sun doesn't seem to help your team all that much and you'd probably be better off just making a normal team that happens to have Charizard Y on it.

Fire Blast actually hits fighting types much harder than Air Slash. It also give you a way to hit Wide Guard Aegislash and basically just one shot lots of things.
I would also suggest Icy Wind over T Wave on Cress. You currently struggle with lando-t which is kinda bad since it is possibly the most popular pokemon among good players. Icy Wind also makes you less Taunt bait, gives you spread speed control that this team will love and gives you decent chip dmg in case some low hp pokemon are floating around or cress is the last man standing.
For Terrakion, Sub, Protect, Taunt and Stone Edge are all great options over X Scissor.
Also, Clear Smog is kind of bad. You're much better off just Sporing or killing sweepers. Protect would probably help the most there instead.

Lemme know how it works out!

I have signifigantly modified this team and it's working well [peak at #33 on ladder] so I will be updating eventually.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is an exceptionally solid team, nice work!

The only major problem I can see is a slight over-reliance on spread moves. Well played Wide Guard users like Hitmontop or Aegislash can easily prevent a lot of the offensive power of the team (for instance, Wide Guard Aegislash is virtually untouchable besides Heatran's Earth Power) Against Wide Guard, you instantly lose your Fire-, Ground-, and Rock-type offenses, which you all rely on spread moves to attack with.

Remedying this is quite easy. Simply just replace some of your spread attacks with single target attacks. On Garchomp, I would use Stone Edge over Rock Slide. This lets you nail Mega Charizard Y and other Fire-types still relatively powerfully when paired with Mega CharY against Wide Guard leads. Stone Edge also gives you something to quickly OHKO Talonflame with. On Mega Charizard Y, I think it would be beneficial to use Fire Blast over Heat Wave. Heatran already provides very powerful Fire-type spread; you don't want to be too repetitive and make yourself again weak to Wide Guard. Fire Blast nails one opponent and nails them for a load of damage- often 2 or OHKOing neutral opponents in the sun. This is key because it can help KO Landorus-T, a common lead that you absolutely need gone as soon as possible. You don't really need Heat Wave.

This is more of a personal suggestion, but Leftovers is better than Air Balloon on Heatran. You have Protect, so you can helo yourself against Garchomp's Earthquakes, and you need the gradual healing much more than the one time immunity and ability to pair freely with Garchomp. With Leftovers, Heatran becomes an offensive and defensive tank- with Protect and Sub and partners to distract opponents, it will last a really long time, making Leftovers more beneficial than Air Balloon.

Finally, on Cresselia, you should try Icy Wind over Toxic. This helps beat Lando-T as Jake said, and also removes Garchomp, another significant threat. Toxic is really redundant with Thunder Wave and Spore, and your team doesn't have the time to be stalling your opponent. You can also try Trick Room, not as your own strategy but so you can remove opposing Trick Room effects, but it probably won't be as helpful as Icy Wind.

Cool team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)