Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Tera: Voting for action. Don't care what happens to it, I would just like to see some type of final consensus as to where we will take both it and the metagame

:Gouging Fire:: Gets a 4 from me. Too bulky, too versatile, too capable of running over teams under sun. Would not miss it.

:Ogerpon-Wellspring:: Gets a clean 5. Constantly a pain to switch into , has a generous speed stat that can be further boosted with Trailblaze, and has the strong potential to sweep with a combination of both Swords Dance + Encore. Also occasionally jumpscares with Play Rough + Knock Off

:Roaring Moon:: 5. Not explaining this.

:Raging Bolt:: Gets a solid 4. Outside of weather, I don't find it that problematic, but Weather Ball/Thunderclap/Draco Meteor give it superb coverage that's always a Mario Party minigame to switch into, and it can also usually afford to trade versus a lot with its very nice bulk spread of 125/91/89.

:Volcarona:: 3. Cheesy and MU fishy, only reason it's not higher is because I appreciate its defensive utility vs. things like :Iron Valiant:/:Zamazenta:

:Kingambit:: 3. Still doing the same things as it has since 2022, but with slightly more counterplay. I see it as a necessary evil to the tier since it is still one of the best revenge killers in what's a very offensive meta, but it can be stupid sometimes regardless

:Zamazenta:: 3. See :Volcarona:

:Gholdengo:: 1. Not convinced this is a real issue.

:Garganacl:: 3. Very annoying to deal with but more counterplay has been introduced over the course of DLC + I haven't seen it on ladder enough to feel like it should be higher.

Haven’t been here in a while, but saw the new survey and decided to give some input.

:Gouging-Fire: - Although I’m alright with this thing atm, it has definitely annoyed me fighting it at times and I can definitely see why people would want it banned. A nuke in Sun, a great offensive and defensive typing in Dragon/Fire, amazing 105/121/91 bulk for a sweeper + Morning Sun and Tera making the thing unkillable in some instances really makes it a potential problem. One thing that I see really making it threatening though are the Grassy Terrain teams using it due to making its weakness to Earthquake less of a problem while also giving it passive healing to abuse. I voted 3 for this guy.

:Kingambit: - It does the exact same shit it always has, with practically the exact same sets, while being just as good as before and that’s still a problem. Removing Tera would definitely make it much better to deal with since the great Fighting types we have in the tier (Great Tusk, Iron Valiant and Zamazenta) would actually counter the damn thing properly, but since Tera is still in the tier I gave this thing a 4 (only cause we have other broken shit around that sort of makes it less of a problem). Get it out.

:Roaring-Moon: + :Volcarona: - I really like Volcarona, but at the same time it’s still a bit ridiculous in OU, same with Roaring Moon. Both do the same things they’ve always done, but Volcarona also started using Tera Dragon to nuke away Dragonite while also taking down the Paradox Beasts (you know, Raging Neck and Gouging Fire). Roaring Moon however is completely unchanged but the Acrobatics set is still bullshit. I voted 4 for both, it’d be reasonable to see these two go.

:Raging-Bolt: - Although again I don’t mind this one too much, it’s still bulky as shit and powerful as shit with STAB priority + Calm Mind while also being able to abuse Tera for whenever a Ground type switches in. Voted a 3, wouldn’t mind seeing this thing go.

:Ogerpon-Wellspring: - Waterpon is ok at the moment, there’s way too much other stuff in the tier right now for anyone to be worrying about it atm. Once the more wacky stuff goes, sure, but it’s honestly fine right now. Voted a 1 (or 2, kind of forgot).

:Garganacl: Salt Cure and Purifying Salt are bullshit, but being a Rock-type that hogs Tera holds this thing back from being bullshit all around. Voted a 1, seems fine.

:Zamazenta: - In a meta with both Tera and Kingambit this guy is outright healthy for the meta right now, especially with the other physical breakers/sweepers like Moon and Gouging Fire. Voted a 1.

:Gholdengo: - People still hesitate to use Defog at all just out of fear that this thing shows up on their opponent’s team. If Gouging Fire, Roaring Moon and Volcarona go, the complaints about this golden bastard will start pouring in again and people will remember how strong it is. Just rip the bandaid off and get it out. Voted a 5.

Tera: Yes, this mechanic should be banned. Allowing shit to just bypass typing matchups with the click of a button isn’t healthy at all. This shit is the reason why Kingambit needs multiple checks to make sure it dies and not just a well-played Great Tusk or Zamazenta or Iron Valiant. These shouldn’t even be “checks” in the first place, they should be outright counters in an ideal Tera-less meta. And also why so much other shit is just that much more ridiculous.

Last edited:
From what I can see of survey responses so far, I still believe Gouging Fire is the only mon that would actually be banned in a public vote, so I hope that it is the mon that gets the highest survey score since suspecting another mon would probably be a clear waste of time since it'd end with a DNB verdict.

From what I can see of survey responses so far, I still believe Gouging Fire is the only mon that would actually be banned in a public vote, so I hope that it is the mon that gets the highest survey score since suspecting another mon would probably be a clear waste of time since it'd end with a DNB verdict.
Optimal result is in fact Gouging Fire Quick Ban + a Suspect of Raging Bolt or Roaring Moon (I put Gholdengo 5 too, but its unlikely to get more support from others) right after that.

Speaking about Gouging Fire, this is (outside of Sun + Band) the set I have been liking more:

Tricentei (Gouging Fire) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Morning Sun

Discount Charizard-X. Very hard to kill after the Seed activates, doesn,t neeed EQ if it goes Tera vs Heatran and still hits hard. Teammates (to kill Dondozo) are Hatterene and...

Fat Man (Electrode-Hisui) @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 40 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Chloroblast
- Volt Switch
- Tera Blast (will be changed for other Tera once Bolt and Fire are gone, Arch was the other reason for Ground).

Boomer (Rillaboom) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

Carnaval (Ogerpon-Cornerstone) (F) @ Cornerstone Mask
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Ivy Cudgel
- Superpower

Roaring Moon is pretty manageable with the abundance of priority
"abundance" when grassy glide, aqua jet, shadow sneak, sucker punch and thunderclap are not Very effective. Mach punch is Never to be seen, vacuum Wave is Very rare and the only consistent priority in OU that is not resisted by this thing is Extreme Speed. So While extreme Speed point is (maybe) valid, I dont see no abundance

Enjoyment: 4 - I find OU a bit stressful to play and a bit frustrating, but part of this may just be in my head. A lot of prominent Pokémon are a bit frustrating to engage with without being truly problematic and I think feelings like this are where Tera's effect on the tier is felt and also what hurts enjoyment a little bit right now

Competitiveness: 5 - offense vs offense can still be competitve and I've been playing more offense lately, but the amount of matchups that are nearly decided at preview hurts a bit

Tera: yes and yes - wish I could have put "undecided" on the harshly worded "needs to be banned" question but until that's an option I'm voting yes. Give us a suspect. And if you want to remove Tera blast I'm down for that, what's the benefit of keeping it around?

:gouging fire: 4 - gone back and forth a bit on this Pokémon as the DLC2 meta has continued to unfold and I feel right now there's more negative than positive, the raw power combined with its bulk and access to morning sun as well as the ability to easily disarm counterplay via burn feels like a bit much right now, in general I still feel I don't see this Mon as much as I should but I am usually worried when it comes into battle, it's a very difficult Pokémon to wear down that does a lot of damage while that is happening

:ogerpon-wellspring: 5 - remove her please, what is the counterplay? Reliable switch ins are virtually non existent, Rillaboom is the closest but has to risk losing its item, and more Rillacheese in the tier is never a good thing. Pult is a good answer if, through hard work determination and a little bit of hope, it is able to come in without dying to knock or play rough, and everything else loses to play rough. "Just use hazards" is not real counterplay either bc Wellspring is a fucked up lead that can kill 2 dudes right off the bat or can enter sweeping positions right after relevant counterplay (priority) is gone (or invalidate that counterplay via Tera.) Thank god we have the 2nd most broken Ogerpon form banned at least but please let's get this one out of the tier too

:Roaring Moon: 1 - I have made my opinions relatively clear on this the past couple days, overall a Pokémon that requires more support and more positioning and is overall less reliable than most on this survey

:Volcarona: 1 - overall this is a Pokémon that adds more to the tier than takes away, morning sun sets are the closest to being cheap so maybe a 2 is more accurate but having to choose its moves carefully to cover certain threats and never being able to arrive at a satisfactory set that covers everything, or getting damn close but requiring a Tera and sacrificing utility options, means I'd rather have this stick around to rein in Kingambit, Valiant, and Rillaboom, the first two under Volcarona's watch also being Pokémon that add more than they take away

:Raging Bolt: 3 - absurdly strong priority option is a little much given its defensive presence, raging bolt also generates near-guaranteed value thanks to its bulk and the immediate power booster energy brings, making it very safe for at least a trade at worst, similar to but less egregious than arch was, there also is the issue of the specs volt switch sets which have completely different counterplay than booster cm sets, it's not as obvious as wellspring or gouging but I would like it looked at overall

:kingambit: 1 - still a Pokémon that adds more than it takes away due to sucker being able to revenge almost any runaway sweeper and jolly max speed sets having to sacrifice bulk, I think it's stronger than it's been during DLC1 and earlier DLC2 so may need an eye kept on it but right now the counterplay is still broadly useful and applicable and not particularly restrictive for that reason, despite preparedness for Kingambit being required for a good team

:Gholdengo: 5 - how much brighter would the world be with more defog? How much better would balance be without having to face the magic catch all switch in that recovers, plots, or tricks/controls speed with scarves? Let's at least explore this via suspect even as Gholdengo has become less common.

:zamazenta: 2 - very interesting inclusion. We have all sort of gotten used to how "safe" Zamazenta is, it serves as a wall and speed control at the same time and is one of the few Pokémon that hyper offense teams like hard switching into, it also plays as like a "silver bullet" for fat balance that can be a defensive speed control option which is very valued especially since Balance teams are in a tougher spot right now, however as a cover legendary and a glue Mon it defines the power of the tier in a way that may be hampering the ability to reach a balanced state. Overall I don't like banning glue but can see why it was included, removing this glue would likely recalibrate the tier in a way that may be favorable for building as well as calming games down, so I think 2 is fair

:garganacl: 2 - I actually wanted to leave this blank but the survey wouldn't let me. Overall I haven't seen enough of it lately to form an opinion, I've noticed a resurgence in discord but not on the ladder yet so don't really have an informed opinion on how Garg currently fits in.

Write-ins and lacks thereof - Stored Power, I also tossed in a semi joking "Paralysis Clause Mod" with the intention to express that the amount of Thunder wave spam on the ladder feels a bit unhealthy right now, but of course that may fall into what I described under enjoyment about how the tier feels frustrating but not due to things that are squarely broken. It is also not lost on me that every single Glare immunity in the tier is on this survey. I've mentioned Dragonite a couple times the last couple days, I chose not to write it in but it's something that also invokes this feeling, as do the less-common-right-now Grassy Terrain teams. I don't love Psyspam or Trick Room either and this adds to the frustration but (barring removing Stored Power) does not feel like action is necessary. I also have previously mentioned Damp and Heat Rock in write ins but did not this time as weather does not feel like an issue right now.

Did you play at least one game of SV OU during SPL 2024 - Yes; it wasn't part of the tournament, but I did play a game of SV OU while the tournament was going on*

Imo optimal course of action is remove Wellspring by any means necessary, suspect Gouging, then Bolt, then Ghold, then play by ear from there if anything else. Perhaps Tera after wellspring, or before Ghold, or after Ghold, but I'd like it to be inspected for sure. Happy to wait as giving more time and space for people to explore alternatives to removing Tera will give us a more concrete answer when the suspect is approached. And if Tera blast is removed, well that's a net positive

*i did not actually vote yes

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
"abundance" when grassy glide, aqua jet, shadow sneak, sucker punch and thunderclap are not Very effective. Mach punch is Never to be seen, vacuum Wave is Very rare and the only consistent priority in OU that is not resisted by this thing is Extreme Speed. So While extreme Speed point is (maybe) valid, I dont see no abundance
Ice Shard Weavile and Extreme Speed Dragonite are constants, but also Band Glide takes it out after chip from U-Turn LandoT or Ruination Lu, for example. Sucker Punch and Thunder Clap always hit it super effectively once it uses Tera Flying, which is a very common interaction.

Finchinator, if the qualified pool of survey takers somehow gives Ogerpon-Wellspring a higher score than Gouging Fire on the survey (which I doubt will happen), would the OU Council consider overruling that and suspect Gouging Fire anyway? The reason I ask this is that I'm confident that an Ogerpon-Wellspring suspect at this time would lead to a DNB verdict, which would make it a big waste of time.

:Gouging Fire: 5 - too fat. OP
:Kingambit: 5 - also too fat. Tera OP
:Volcarona: 4 - tera still OP. use behind screens. it's dumb
:Raging Bolt: 4 - Same as volcarona
:Roaring Moon: 3 - wrecks HO. kinda dump vs fat
:Ogerpon-Wellspring: 3 - if more people would use Sub/SD/Trailblaze/cudgle, there'd be more tears
:Garganacl: 2 - matchup-fishing goofball
:Zamazenta: 2 - matchup-fishing goofball
:Gholdengo: 1 - Good and healthy. L2P

Tera 5 (why is this still being surveyed with a yes/no question and not a scale?????)
Can't say I agree with this numbering but you are 100% correct about the manipulative leading questions about Tera on the survey getting in the way of exploring action against the mechanic

Do we have to lose to something for it to be cancerous?

Garg isn’t impossible or anything to beat but it is a toxic son of a bitch to play against. Especially since we are hell bent on keeping Tera. It clicks one move and chips everything. The only sure fire ways to prevent its progress bring magic guard and covert cloak.
Garg is absolutely fine right now, especially considering that the main issue with the tier isn't with defensive mons, its with the extreme amount of offensive threats in the tier.

Enjoy/Compet = 1
Tera: Action and outright ban
:Gouging_Fire: 5. So many people already nailed this. QB pls.
1709154508214.png
3. Trouble, questionable, not now.
:Roaring_Moon: 5 Predicable and yet a bs.
:Raging_Bolt: 5 Flexible and a bs.
:Volcarona: and :Kingambit: 4. But only due Tera. 1 without this.
:Gholdengo: 5: Not priority now, but opressive until at teambuild, just to keep it in mind.
:Garganacl: 2: Could be 1, but no inocents here.
:Zamazenta: 4: Necessary evil, but yet evil, not priority.
Others: Valiant/BE, QD/QC, Kyurem, Dondozo.

Huh what now? Dozo’s broken?
I don't want to just point out offensive threats and I'm being honest with my own point of view.
Sure, it's not a priority with powercreep and current threats, but it's still an issue. Did you see Tera Normal Dondozo at SPL a few weeks ago?

Garg is absolutely fine right now, especially considering that the main issue with the tier isn't with defensive mons, its with the extreme amount of offensive threats in the tier.
What is different about Garg “right now” vs. the same complaints that have always existed, which led to it being on the survey?

Enjoyment: 6
Competitive: 2 (the Gouging Fire player wins)
Tera: Ban
:Gouging_Fire: 5, wow looking at everyone's responses we're likely to get a QB on it! Yay for OU!
:ogerpon_wellspring: 2. Not too bad because of Dragons and banded DNite.
:Roaring_Moon: 4, dies to priority but is kind of annoying sometimes.
:Raging_Bolt: 3. Not that bad, it's weak to lots of stuff. Either OHKO with Tusk, or they burn tera fairy and you just revenge kill with something else. If tera fly is a concern, Ice Spinner over Headlong.
:Volcarona: 5. I hate this thing a lot. Always gets a kill and a half or two or even three.
:Kingambit: 2. Great Tusk used Headlong Rush!
:Gholdengo: 3. I hate predicting wrong and losing Tusk by using Ice Spinner on something, predicting Ghold to come in and it just doesn't.
:Garganacl: 5. It would be REALLY funny for it to jump from UUBL to Ubers.
:Zamazenta: 2. I use Moltres, but Dragapult also is an issue for it. Also, Gholdengo walls Heavy Slam variants and Clef walls Crunch variants. AoA is the set I hate most, but it doesn't see too much usage.

Like Reply

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
What is the logic behind the binary response to the tera question btw? Regardless of your opinion on whether it's balanced or not, at the least, it's inconsistent and at the most, as others have pointed out, it is manipulative. I don't recall the sleep question in the last survey being binary either when that could as easily be a yes or no response.

:Gouging_Fire: 5. No need to explain, I've hated this thing since day one.
:ogerpon_wellspring: 5. Also a big annoyance, everyone fixated on Fpon but Wpon was just as bad.
:Roaring_Moon: 5. Does the exact same shit it did pre DLC. Weavile is a good answer but keeping Weavile alive during a game along with everything else to check everything else feels bad.
:Raging_Bolt: 5. I fucking hate this thing. Tera Fairy or Tera Grass to cheese checks and predicting wrong feels awful, Thunderclap on a slow thing that can tank a hit feels even worse.
:Volcarona: 5. Still annoying as ever.
:Kingambit: 5. Great Tusk used Close Combat! King Gambit used Tera Flying! King Gambit used Swords Dance! King Gambit used Sucker Punch! Great Tusk fainted!
:Gholdengo: 5. If this thing isn't so bad anymore removing it from the tier to see how the hazard meta changes would be worth doing in the first place. I'm so tired of spikes and rocks existing.
:Garganacl: 1. What? :regiF:
:Zamazenta: 4. Highly annoying and downright infuriating to play against unless your team has an answer for it due to its speed. I can see its existence being justified with Gambit but Gambit shouldn't be in the tier anyway.

Edit to clarify a bit: I want to see the Meta dramatically change and so it's why I want to see a majority of these go. Centralization is cool and fun but a lot of these require one or more checks or else you risk being steamrolled one way or another. I want to see cooler strats than mashing boosting moves and clicking the button until you have a stroke. Even if some things can be checked semi reliably, it doesn't change the fact I find the current meta to be in a stranglehold of boring play styles and mons that do too much for the slot they occupy.

Not in a healthy, great tusk way. but strictly in the "why does this get to be so bulky and still kill me" way.

Last edited:
enjoyment: 6
i'm still having fun, the meta is definitely more playable than it ever was in dlc1 except maybe towards the end, but it just feels kinda stale somehow. it probably has a lot to do with how matchup-fishy and lead-centric the tier is; a lot of matches it just doesn't feel like i'm actually playing

balance: 6
it's more balanced than the arch rain meta, but there's still way too much nonsense running around. between rain, sun, hazards, the overwhelming glut of setup sweepers, and whatever the hell kyurem is doing, there's way too much to try and cover, and far too many matches seem like they come down to either matchups at team preview or picking the right lead on turn 1. those things are natural parts of the meta, sure, but it shouldn't be commonplace to be given so large of an advantage on turn 1 or even turn 0. and it feels like most of the matches that aren't decided by that are decided by sucker punch or thunderclap 50/50s

tera: no action
the majority of the current problems with the meta would become exponentially worse without tera. being able to control matchups mid-game and forcing your opponent to make midground plays around your ability to do so is just about the only thing holding ou back from being virtually entirely decided around matchups and leads. nerfing tera is a non-starter for any option besides a ban on tera blast, which i'd accept over a full tera ban, but i don't support it and here's why:

on tera blast
i think the risks of running tera blast are understated by its ban proponents—you've got a dead moveslot most of the time if you don't tera, which puts a lot more pressure on you to tera that mon, which can severely constrain your options if, say, you run into a bad matchup or get off to a poor start and need to burn tera on something else to not autolose. basically, you need to actually play well and constantly keep your own tera in mind to get the proper use out of tera blast, and that's what makes it acceptable in my eyes. the other major point that gets brought up against tera blast—namely, that it can give any pokemon any coverage it needs, which could break a lot of things—seems a bit exaggerated. sure, it can do that, and it could break a lot of things. but does it? out of the 9 mons deemed problematic enough to be on this survey, only one runs tera blast enough to mention. it's even fallen off on kingambit, once a prime user of the move. i'll be fair and include kyurem in the "problematic mons" list because i maintain that it still is, and kyurem does run tera blast too, but that's still only 2 out of 10 problematic mons running it, which is in line with the approximately 1/5 of mons in the meta at large that run the move. so it doesn't seem like it's making things problematic at an outsized rate, and i don't believe the reward outweighs the risk enough to consider the move broken. anyway, this was a long tangent, so let's get back to the actual matter at hand: the survey

:gouging fire: 5
gouging fire remains a significant problem for the tier. some of its sets have almost no viable offensive counterplay, and others have literally no viable defensive counterplay. it's not an exaggeration to say that sun protoatk band gouging 6-0s stall at preview—it just comes out in sun, teras, clicks raging fury, and 2hkos dondozo. that's not an ok thing for a resisted physical attack to do, ever. and this isn't even the best thing it can do—protospeed band on sun doesn't eviscerate stall quite as hard but is still a fantastic wallbreaker that shreds offense too, protoatk dragon dance is harder to pull off extended sweeps with in sun but can give you the benefits of both band and scarf if you pull it off (minus the dozo matchup), non-sun ddance sets (occasionally with booster energy) are perfectly serviceable too, and there's also defensive burning bulwark sets and setup/recovery pseudovolc stuff and so on and so forth. there's a lot of things this mon does and some of them can easily beat things that should by all means hard-counter it

:ogerpon-wellspring: 4
she honestly didn't get any healthier since dlc1, there just happened to be more dragons and one of them was archaludon. with arch out of the way, waterpon has started becoming problematic even with the dragons because, well, she can just run play rough. between that and her stabs, not much can withstand a waterpon sweep besides "just outspeed lol", and even that can be kinda shaky for a lot of things since she's got crazy spdef after tera and runs horn leech fairly often. and of course there's plenty of other options for her that can easily surprise people who are expecting the common sets—u-turn all-out-attacking sets are on the rise, encore is a popular niche option, trailblaze is sometimes a thing, and i've even seen spikes + knock off sets popping up to punish momentum-heavy rain teams that mainly rely on treads (which has a horrific matchup against waterpon) for hazard removal. i think it's nearly time to give waterpon the boot, but we should remove a couple other things that are even more problematic first

:roaring moon: 5
also didn't get any healthier since dlc1, but at least waterpon tried to hide it—roaring moon has just been doing the same nonsense it did before. it still doesn't really have any solid and concrete answers that don't fall to, like, taunt or roost. someone brought up banded quick attack dragapult as a check to it, which i heard was actually run in some spl game or other, and if you're so desperate for answers to something that you're running banded quick attack dragapult in a major tournament, something is horribly wrong with the thing you're trying to answer

:volcarona: 3
i don't have much to really say about it, it's still as matchup moth as ever and once the weather wars die down and it stops having to run tera dragon it's probably gonna steamroll the whole tier

:raging bolt: 4
i'm pretty sure this mon is broken, but i'm not sold on it being the biggest problem in the tier right now. i think that award goes to gouging fire. initially i thought the mon might be fine, but with how gross it can get with thunderclap 50/50s and how easy it is to beat its normal checks with weather ball on rain or sun, i no longer think that. get it out! but gouging and moon first, please

:kingambit: 5
this mon has been cheese since day 1 and it's cheese to this day. i personally don't think it's the biggest problem in the tier at the moment but you always need two checks to it minimum and i hate it so much that i'm fine with having it be banned at any time

:zamazenta: 1
i'm tempted to rate this higher because deep down i kinda want it banned so we can blacklist discussion of dropping box legendaries ever again, but i just don't consider it a problem at all. i've never really felt strained to answer it in builder because it feels like common mons and cores just kinda cover it automatically on both offensive and defensive teams

:gholdengo: 5
the mon itself is not actively problematic on the face of it, but it warps teambuilding so much just by its ability existing at all, even if it's not physically present in a given match. everyone saying that the addition of one or two defoggers wouldn't change things has just been a prisoner of the hazard meta for so long that they've forgotten just how good it is to be able to remove hazards freely and to be able to actually put a defogger on your team without worrying about it being a dead slot a third of the time

:garganacl: 1
salt cure is a cheap-ass move, true. covert cloak never ended up panning out, true. but garg is heavily tera-reliant and that's a terrible thing to be right now. it's also very dependent on defensive matchups and positioning to be able to actually get onto the field so it can click the cheap move in the first place, and it's passive outside of salt cure—ironpress and curse seem kinda iffy when that one turn of setup can lead to, say, the opponent safely bringing in walking wake

other
ban the people who keep bringing up lugia and solgaleo

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Finchinator, if the qualified pool of survey takers somehow gives Ogerpon-Wellspring a higher score than Gouging Fire on the survey (which I doubt will happen), would the OU Council consider overruling that and suspect Gouging Fire anyway? The reason I ask this is that I'm confident that an Ogerpon-Wellspring suspect at this time would lead to a DNB verdict, which would make it a big waste of time.
Probably, multiple council members think Wellspring is most pressing right now

I'm not gonna post my numbers, because of the very reason I'm posting:

There is no fucking reason for you, or I, to try to measure these mons between 5 or 1. Straight up, just go 5 if you want it banned, 1 if you don't want it banned. I think a lot of people don't do this because it sounds intuitive to try to vote with some internal logic or whatever, but like, who fucking cares?At worst someone with access sees your survey result and says "That's dumb!" but you still maximized your influence on the result.

Statistically it still does not really matter, but why minimize the impact of your thoughts on the tier? If you truly could go either way, vote a 3. I don't think there is any reason to vote anything below a 5 if you want it banned, suspected, any action whatsoever. And I don't see a reason to vote a 2 or 4 ever in your entire life.

Stop minimizing your impact on the poll by sandbagging your actual opinion in order to seem more coherent. I voted 5 on every single Pokemon that I'd want a Suspect on, and a 1 otherwise, regardless of internal logic or what I think is a priority, because there is no reason to do that.

Okay, time for my survey results.
Enjoyment: 6
Metagame is alright to play, but the strain of teambuilder definetely means that more niche options have to be considered very carefully. This definetely needs to be improved, but with bans it can be done.
Competitive: 7
Better than enjoyment because a lot of threats do need some amount of positioning, but it isn't good.
Tera: No and No
Bigger problems right now, we don't need to do anything with it as it is fine in this meta.
:gouging fire: 4 - My opinion has changed a bit on this and I think it is a bit more broken. DD sets are easy to handle as they are hazard weak and if they are forced out in any way, they are much weaker. My main issue with it is how it can brutalise stall easily, which would be my problem. If this goes, not going to complain, but there are bigger fish to fry.
:ogerpon-wellspring: 2 - Nope, this thing ain't broken guys. It's speed tier, hazard weakness and weakness to priority hold it back. Yes, it can be scary, but that's for anything at +2. I know they fill very different roles, but if kyurem wasn't banned because of its hazard weakness, then waterpon shouldn't either.
:roaring moon: 5 - This is the most bs mon right now. If it can get a dd off, which is easy for it to do with the amount of mons it threatens, then it is basically impossible to stop outside weavile priority and boulder, and boulder is bad otherwise. Get this out of the tier, it doesn't provide anything to it and is just another pain in the teambuilder.
:volcarona: 3 - I'm alright with this thing as while it can tera, it has to when it tries to sweep. The difference between this and moon is the speed tier as fast scarfers and booster mons outspeed it at +1. It also can struggle to take a hit sometimes. Maybe look at it down the line, but other things first please.
:raging bolt: 4 - This is gambit 2.0, it can use priority to outspeed faster mons and perform an easy late game sweep. Yes, it does have ground types it has to watch out for, but a simple tera and draco destroy most. Definetely needs to go, but a 4 since one other mon is more problematic and there is some level of counterplay.
:kingambit: 3 - The original setup sweeper that can cheese games, gambit is still imo a problem. But less so then before, and there are bigger fish to fry. I wouldn't mind seeing it gone in the future, but not right now.
:zamazenta: 1 - Lmao, no. This thing is great but not overpowered in the slightest. It has 4mss and is weak to special hits. Is countered decently well by ghost types despite crunch, and either is weak to hazards or is extremely chippable depending on its item.
:gholdengo: 3 - This score is moreso for the ability, I think on its own ghold is fine. However, getting more defog users I would be interested in, so we should consider it.
:garganacl: 1 -
1709158334340.png

Anything else: Kyurem should be looked at. I know I said waterpon shouldn't be banned if kyurem isn't, but kyurem has better defenses, more moveset variety and ability to tera out of its type.

I'm not gonna post my numbers, because of the very reason I'm posting:

There is no fucking reason for you, or I, to try to measure these mons between 5 or 1. Straight up, just go 5 if you want it banned, 1 if you don't want it banned. I think a lot of people don't do this because it sounds intuitive to try to vote with some internal logic or whatever, but like, who fucking cares?At worst someone with access sees your survey result and says "That's dumb!" but you still maximized your influence on the result.

Statistically it still does not really matter, but why minimize the impact of your thoughts on the tier? If you truly could go either way, vote a 3. I don't think there is any reason to vote anything below a 5 if you want it banned, suspected, any action whatsoever. And I don't see a reason to vote a 2 or 4 ever in your entire life.

Stop minimizing your impact on the poll by sandbagging your actual opinion in order to seem more coherent. I voted 5 on every single Pokemon that I'd want a Suspect on, and a 1 otherwise, regardless of internal logic or what I think is a priority, because there is no reason to do that.
Facts - due to the council using Averages rather than Median or Bar Graphs voting 2-4 is a relatively wasted vote, as we've seen with several "well a bunch of people voted a bunch a different ways but the average came to be like 2.5 so we won't do anything" throughout the gen. Averages as the measure nullify the 1-5 scale's value