Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I played them today and won w stall! Outplayed the tricks like a boss, knocked and absorbed and sacked like a boss, very exciting game
Thank fucking god. I feel like you've redeemed my loss.
I don't want to have to deal with that again, so thank you for potentially taking them off the ladder.

Personally I like the idea for suspects to follow something similar to the qualifying for Surveys alongside GXE requirements.

You make the GXE requirements. You participate and make it far into a high level tournament. Or you have proof of yourself/suspect alt hitting top 100 of the ladder. Any of the 3 and you can vote on a suspect.
This system makes a lot of sense to me. Hopefully it gets more attention and a mod can comment on it.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Personally I like the idea for suspects to follow something similar to the qualifying for Surveys alongside GXE requirements.

You make the GXE requirements. You participate and make it far into a high level tournament. Or you have proof of yourself/suspect alt hitting top 100 of the ladder. Any of the 3 and you can vote on a suspect.
Tournament reqs have been tried, but ultimately are unfair as everyone else has to ladder so many games and the tournaments are frequently played in metagames weeks or months prior to the current one.

There really is no fair way to do reqs or frame suspects beyond on-time qualification via ladder.

Tournament reqs have been tried, but ultimately are unfair as everyone else has to ladder so many games and the tournaments are frequently played in metagames weeks or months prior to the current one.

There really is no fair way to do reqs or frame suspects beyond on-time qualification via ladder.
What about the Alt hitting top 100 even if it doesn't make GXE requirements? I still think that's a decently fair way to do it.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What about the Alt hitting top 100 even if it doesn't make GXE requirements? I still think that's a decently fair way to do it.
Top anything is arbitrary as is (why not top 50 or top 150 etc.), but also it’s really conceivable to hit 18s or 19s by trading wins 90% of the time and then picking a window where you can snipe people or account for a smaller pool of what’s being used at non-peak times if you really want. GXE is clearly better suited for suspects than.

Top anything is arbitrary as is (why not top 50 or top 150 etc.), but also it’s really conceivable to hit 18s or 19s by trading wins 90% of the time and then picking a window where you can snipe people or account for a smaller pool of what’s being used at non-peak times if you really want. GXE is clearly better suited for suspects than.
The reason I choose top 100 is because that's the cutoff for qualified players on Surveys. I figured if you're qualified on a survey you should be able to be qualified for voting.

I wonder if Deoxys-Speed will come back in a few months, it may not be the easiest thing to put on a team, but it is a very potent threat on HO as reflected by its current VR placement

Seems like another case of Usage does not equal viability because it has shown that it gets results on HO
Same with garg tbh. That thing gets constant use and prep against in SPLs but ladder usage reflects tiering so it has suffered on the tiering rung as a result.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
The reason I choose top 100 is because that's the cutoff for qualified players on Surveys. I figured if you're qualified on a survey you should be able to be qualified for voting.
I really disagree with this personally. The survey qualification is loose and surveys themselves aren’t binding. This also ignores the fact that opinions and metagames shift during suspect periods while surveys take place prior usually. Finally, there’s been a push to make surveys less frequent and qualifications more strict recently from a lot of people, so that would make this entirely moot.

There should be no official or formal connection between the two.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
Putting aside the hax sets, what does everyone think of Dragapult right now? With a resurgence of status and mixed sets, Dragapult is a nuisance to many teams, able to harass them with dual status while boasting surprising bulk especially in conjunction with burn or substitute. Utilitzing its superb speed tier, Dragapult is able to outspeed the entire unboosted meta besides Deoxys-Speed, its an excellent check to threats like Ogerpon-Wellspring or Zamazenta, who must run the right coverage and predict the switch, or else they get burned/forced to switch.

What do you think? Do you prefer Substitute, Boots pivot, or dual status mixed attacker? Do you think all these sets are still worse than its Specs set?
it's always obnoxious unless it's on my side of the field. then it's the best and most awesome form of speed control in any singles format ever

Okay, this is madness. I can kinda get fly, that gives you stab and you can use power herb for it. Giga impact you could use as a last resort move with tera normal to deal big damage as you faint.
Outrage idk what the fuck they doing. Just use play rough my god. This is worse than the time I saw a contrary calm mind enamorus.
they didn't even have power herb i have no clue what they were doing

https://pokepast.es/883d1fe5cfd7347d
This is a pokepaste that contains gimmick sets for all OU and UUBL mons in SV (at the time of creation which was early February). There is 46 sets in this, so you can just scroll down/use Control+F to find the mon you are looking for.
Might post the UU mons later, but idk if I can be bothered to do that.

Edit: Blissey set provided by tommytt22, plus also fixed up the blaziken set.
Scale shot contrary serperior sure is one of the sets of all time

Is it worth it... With Glare maybe.
Was this on purpose?
I'm not sure about the set. Tera Blast Stellar only works because of Contrary. The problem is that Contrary would reverse the purpose of Scale Shot to lowering speed and raising defense. A slow sweeper isn't really what you want.

Traditionally, the best thing about physical Serperior is access to Coil. So you could maybe have Coil and Scale Shot on a non-Contrary set. But then there is no point in running Tera Blast unless you are desperate for coverage or Tera Fire. Aqua Tail could give you sort of Waterpon like coverage but with Scale Shot to hit Dragons instead of Play Rough. But I don't know. At that point maybe just use Waterpon? Most of the sets from that post didn't seem that serious anyways. As a lover of jank myself, I can't really fault the attempt too much.

Scale shot contrary serperior sure is one of the sets of all time
Idk man, I just slapped it on because contrary gives it a defense boost. I probably would have chosen body slam, but idk it's funny so I'm going to go with it.
I'm not sure about the set. Tera Blast Stellar only works because of Contrary. The problem is that Contrary would reverse the purpose of Scale Shot to lowering speed and raising defense. A slow sweeper isn't really what you want.

Traditionally, the best thing about physical Serperior is access to Coil. So you could maybe have Coil and Scale Shot on a non-Contrary set. But then there is no point in running Tera Blast unless you are desperate for coverage or Tera Fire. Aqua Tail could give you sort of Waterpon like coverage but with Scale Shot to hit Dragons instead of Play Rough. But I don't know. At that point maybe just use Waterpon? Most of the sets from that post didn't seem that serious anyways. As a lover of jank myself, I can't really fault the attempt too much.
They are meant to be off meta sets that can somewhat work, I did test them all on ladder to make sure they work. Sometimes I had really cool ideas that unfortunately did not pan out to work in practice. It was more of a fun experiment, for example dual screens ghold is technically great because you are immune to taunt.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
On another topic, I am not sure Tera will be remaining on the next survey and I think we are approaching a point where an outright ban may be out of the question. I’m not ruling anything out entirely and even things like Tera Blast have seen occasional spikes in support.

The support for an outright ban it is too low, now consistently falling below 30% in favor. Never say never, but we are at a point where it’s best we focus on the current metagame and not something like this given relative support.

On another topic, I am not sure Tera will be remaining on the next survey and I think we are approaching a point where an outright ban may be out of the question. I’m not ruling anything out entirely and even things like Tera Blast have seen occasional spikes in support.

The support for an outright ban it is too low, now consistently falling below 30% in favor. Never say never, but we are at a point where it’s best we focus on the current metagame and not something like this given relative support.
That does make sense. I think the only time it made sense to do a second Tera suspect would have been in place of the Kingambit suspect test before the Teal Mask dropped. The support for banning Tera has long since faded. There's no use in beating a dead horse.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Shifting to another topic as well: I find the pace we are at right now a bit more sustainable than the breakneck pace of the DLC1 metagame.

We have a longer time between surveys, extra weeks of breathing room between suspects, and still plenty of action and data compiled to affirm or refute any council thoughts.

I think there has been a ton of trial-and-error with tiering this generation. Being honest: our system wasn’t intended to keep up with constant releases across the first entire year of a generation. Our system also wasn’t accustom to the impact something like Tera would have on our game either.

We have shown good adaptation by shifting the way in which we react and the way in which we think sometimes. Quicker suspects (9-10 days as opposed to a firm 14), regular surveys at some points (between every suspect during rapid releases), less frequent surveys at others (slowing down now to every 6 weeks or 2 months when we can take our time more), more caution surrounding certain quickbans (it’s been a trip trying to fully grasp community perception and we are still learning here), and so on. Just a matter of accepting there’s always room for our tiering to grow and doing our best to keep an open mind.

Although my "enjoyable" level is minimal, I don't blame the council for anything, it's been hard work and the community itself differs in several aspects and everything is ok about that.
I can only mention that dropping Magearna, Roaring Moon and suspecting Gliscor instead of Gholdengo in dlc1 were my least favorite actions.
I think I've already knocked my King off the board but I hope I'm wrong.
From a positive point of view, it can't get any worse than it already is.

Although my "enjoyable" level is minimal, I don't blame the council for anything, it's been hard work and the community itself differs in several aspects and everything is ok about that.
I can only mention that dropping Magearna, Roaring Moon and suspecting Gliscor instead of Gholdengo in dlc1 were my least favorite actions.
I think I've already knocked my King off the board but I hope I'm wrong.
From a positive point of view, it can't get any worse than it already is.
letting regieleki into the tier when home dropped is up there. Roaring Moon was never dropped during DLC1 he just got a new move, you might be thinking of baxcalibur

this

And totally agree about Eleki too.
What's funny about Eleki is two things.
1. The nerfed the ability and despite us not knowing at the time, it probably would still be banned.
2. They didn't nerf regidrago's similar ability, despite them being counterparts, which has never happened before I think with nerfs. They literally did nerf zamazenta for zacian's crimes, so the doggo ain't having a good day.

more caution surrounding certain quickbans
actually, this was a mistake that especially should not be brought up in a post about how Smogon tiering is adapting to DLC

bluntly, DLC demands more quickbans to create an actually playable meta faster. Period

to say that Smogon has adapted when we are now 0-2 at good DLC1 metas, with most people I know agreeing that both Isle of Armor and Teal Mask being dogshit metagames that were the worst of each respective generation, shows no growth in adapting to DLC. Both generations are terrible failures in adapting to DLC; basically just giving up and allowing DLC1 to be terrible and hoping playerbase just rides out the storm to DLC2.

the adaptation that has actually occurred is adapting to a world where social media and youtubers are constantly following Smogon at a bigger scale than ever, and thus has created a constant flow of feedback. one that particularly is generally uninformed, especially around tiering, and has thus put far more questioning and a higher level of proof required for actions that otherwise are fairly normal