Project SV OU Teambuilding Competition (Indigo Disk Edition) Cycle 11: Volcarona!

Approved by OU Moderators | Hosted by zastra, leng loi, and ToastedBunzzz02 | Previously hosted by Smashburn, Baloor, jackuzzler, and fly casanova
1713876324098.png

amazing art by grape tylenol
Rules:
  • Entry submission: Post team in the thread itself with import and explanation in hide tags. Please, when you are submitting a team, try not to slash movesets / items in the importable. The finished product should be the build you are most confident in. It is fine to do minor set changes throughout the week, but if you want to give another option for one of your Pokemon, note it in the Explanation instead.
  • Disputes / Copying: Obviously, there is potential for disputes over copying or people making similar entries. In general, if your team entry has the same Pokémon and similar move sets to an earlier entry, it will be disqualified. If anyone tries to abuse this by reserving an early post in the thread for their entry, please bring it to my attention and they'll be disqualified. If you are caught doing this there is a high possibility you will not be allowed to post in the building stage for an indefinite amount of time.
  • Discussion and team changes: One part of the process is to have discussions about the teams and the core. While I'd like to keep this from being a speedy RMT thread, suggestions of improvements to entered teams are allowed. In the interests of fairness though, I'd ask that any suggestions don't involve anything more major than move set changes, and that if you've already submitted a team you don't change the Pokémon in it. Basically, just be sure that you're happy with the team before you send it in.
  • Voting Phase: The voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). This format is arguably much fairer than the simple voting format and should help keep high stakes for the teams that win. So to vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. If you have any questions about this system, by all means, contact me. You are not allowed to vote for your own team.

Last edited:
TEAM ARCHIVE - Click sprites for imports
Week 1 - Gholdengo: :gholdengo::iron-moth::garchomp::dragapult::rotom-wash::roaring-moon: by Egor
Week 2 - Chi-Yu: :chi-yu::hatterene::iron-treads::pawmot::dondozo::dragonite: by Hatternity
Week 3 - Cinderace: :cinderace::meowscarada::gholdengo::corviknight::garganacl::toxapex: by Magcargo
Week 4 - Chien-Pao::chien-pao::amoonguss::great-tusk::gholdengo::dondozo::garganacl: by pratik2007
Week 5 - Greninja: :greninja::magnezone::ting-lu::dragonite::great-tusk::dragapult: by Lacks
Week 6 - Iron Valiant::iron-valiant::hatterene::hydreigon::toxapex::great-tusk::corviknight: by mimilimi
Week 7 - Kingambit::kingambit::hatterene::garchomp::dragonite::cinderace::scizor: by Exotic64
Week 8 - Walking Wake: :walking-wake::torkoal::hatterene::roaring-moon::great-tusk::ceruledge: by SLDR
Week 9 - Toxapex::toxapex::gardevoir::roaring-moon::meowscarada::skeledirge::great-tusk: by mimilimi
Week 10 - Roaring Moon: :roaring moon::iron valiant::great tusk::breloom::grimmsnarl::orthworm: by Peter20XX
Week 11 - Cyclizar: :garchomp::iron valiant::cyclizar::slowking::amoonguss::corviknight: by stimo
Week 12 - Hoopa-Unbound: :hoopa-unbound::cresselia::kingambit::hatterene::pelipper::basculegion: by FYBIRR
Week 13 - Enamorus-Incarnate: :slowking-galar::enamorus::samurott-hisui::zamazenta::great tusk::dragapult: by Seucra Lockhart
Week 14 - Cresselia: :cresselia::maushold::enamorus::dragapult::dragonite::gholdengo: by SetsuSetsuna
Week 15 - Baxcalibur: :baxcalibur::dragonite::walking wake::heatran::enamorus::great tusk: by Sp0oN1oRd
Week 16 - Gliscor: :gliscor::empoleon::sneasler::dragapult::toxapex::meowscarada: by waytoopetty
Week 17 - Ogerpon - Teal Mask: :ogerpon::cinderace::walking wake::great tusk::zapdos::slowking-galar: by Wesleyy
Week 18 - Sinistcha: :gliscor::sinistcha::great tusk::samurott-hisui::zapdos::slowking-galar:by Magcargo
Week 19 - Torterra: :rillaboom::heatran::alomomola::torterra::slowking-galar::great tusk: by kd458
DLC 2 META
Week 20 - Iron Boulder: :iron-boulder::ogerpon-cornerstone::gholdengo::iron-valiant::samurott-hisui::volcarona:by leng loi
Week 21 - Serperior: :serperior::gouging-fire::kingambit::hatterene::glimmora::landorus-therian: by Lialiabeast
Week 22 - Raging Bolt: :Kyurem::Roaring-Moon::Raging-bolt::volcarona::glimmora::zamazenta: by leng loi
Week 23 - Kyurem: :kingambit::kyurem: :scizor: :rotom-wash: :ting-lu: :great-tusk: by Conflux123
Week 24 - Gouging Fire: :gouging-fire::gholdengo::rillaboom::zamazenta::landorus-therian::dragapult: by leng loi
Week 25 - Hex Spam: :toxapex::glimmora::gholdengo::gliscor::iron moth::great tusk: by NotDaProGamer
Week 26 - Garganacl: :Garganacl::Corviknight::Clodsire::Ditto::Kingambit::Slowking-Galar: by Magcargo
Week 27 - Ogerpon-Wellspring: :Iron-Boulder::Samurott-hisui::ogerpon-wellspring::great-tusk::dragapult::kingambit: by DiscoDucky
Week 28 - Unorthodox Dragonite: :dragonite: :pelipper: :Barraskewda: :Iron Treads: :Kingambit: :Iron Valiant: by DiscoDucky

Last edited:

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello everyone, and welcome to the newest edition of the SV OU Teambuilding competition! Your hosts are myself, noted enjoyer of using RU Pokemon in OU; and the wonderful zastra . In this project, you'll be given a Pokemon, core, or concept to build around every week. Once you have submitted your team by posting it in this thread, you'll have to wait until the thread enters the voting phase, where you and your fellow users will vote on the submissions through ranked pairs to determine the winner. Since DLC just dropped, we will be focusing on newly released and returning Pokemon first, but will get into cores and concepts more as the weeks go on. The first building phase will last one week in order to let newer users get familiar with the format, but expect the deadline to shorten in the near future. If you have any questions regarding the project please DM me or zastra . Good luck!

Week 1: Iron Boulder
1702721636371.png

After a very brief introduction to the metagame, it appears that Iron Boulder may be the strongest of the new paradox Pokemon (for now), due to its enormous speed stat assisted by booster energy, SD to break through teams, 100% accurate Rock STAB, and adequate coverage, including the potential to run Taunt over SD or a coverage move. Though its blistering speed and considerable offensive firepower are blessings in this meta, the Boulder suffers from its natural, unterastalized typing. Rock/Psychic harbors many weaknesses, including to common priority types like Grass and Dark (as well as Water and Steel). Therefore, mitigating these weaknesses and/or effectively abusing tera will be key to building with Iron Boulder effectively. I hope to see some set variety beyond the SD Booster Energy set, as I think there is plenty of creativity for sets inherent to this 'mon, but even Booster Boulder can support many different kinds of Offense teams. Have fun building in this fledgling metagame! There are a lot of new threats to account for so I hope this exercise will be helpful for those who participate and/or watch to get us all used to the new environment.

:terrakion: You have until Saturday, 23 December to post your teams. :terrakion:

terrakion.png

I already posted this team in Team Bazar, but I will post it here again I guess. Just gonna copy and paste what I said:
https://pokepast.es/4cd915cfbcfab8f1
I'm eager to share my very first team with you all, so feel free to offer any criticism or suggestions on how I can get even better. When I noticed the leaks, Blazkin Hyper Offense immediately came to mind. With Tera now available to increase its stabs, the Pokemon is far more effective than it was previously. But because Blazkin is quite vulnerable and finds it difficult to transition into the wonderful tusk, I made the decision that in addition to using an air balloon to get a free setup on Tusk, I also needed to run it on a veil to extend its life! After an SD boost, Tera's soaring acro blows through much of this tier, and with the veil up, it's difficult to revenge kill. Up next I chose to utilize Iron Boulder since it is the fastest Pokemon in this tier and has a powerful punch. I also desired to have some overall speed control. CC is absent since I use eq+zen headbutt to hit both Great Tusk and Gholdengo in the same slot. Whatever the tera may be, Steel withstands most of the stabs intended to kill it in retaliation with priority. Deoxy's speed turns out to be the finest hazard setting among the tier, so I decided to run it. This set, however, is not your typical one; instead, it ruins rival lead sets of Deoxys by using mental herb+twave+taunt. For booster moth, you just need 168 speed, but I choose to go at maximum speed for the tie-in speed with other Deoxys. I was eager to find a troublesome setup cleaner to add to our already robust core. Since we no longer had Mag, I figured Latias would be the most significant option. You blast through Iron Boulder with just 124-speed EVs, freeing you to use defense EVs to boost your resistance against physical opponents. You cannot set yourself up for free on Gliscors and Clodsires who beg for toxic to break you down. The tera on this one is hard, but I have determined that tera poison is the one you want. Ultimately, even though it seems strange for hyper offense, I needed some kind of hazard removal. However, Terapago manages to make it function by being big, strong, and an incredible end-game cleaner with cm+rapid spin, which allows him to become a serious threat after just a few boosts. This set uses earth power to destroy poison/steel types such as Heatran and Slowking-Galar. Although this Pokemon tends to be a tera hog, I have won some games without it. This team is quite lethal, even if I am now experiencing some tilt. Their performance has quickly surpassed me into the 1600s!

Edit: https://pokepast.es/20946b2603e096c7 is Outdated because terrapago was banned. Also gonna change the boulder set to tera flying so it sets up on Tusk/gliscor as well. GreatTusk can be a good replacement for terapagos and you can still slot in rapid spin if you think hazards are needed

Last edited:
I wanted to try Band on Iron Boulder to build specifically for this competition. I felt like Band was super great against some matchups against unprepared teams, but also super poor in others. As a result, I don't feel like I would ever fit Iron Boulder outside of Booster Energy SD again. But it was a fun experiment, and I still had some success on the ladder.

Quick overview of the team:
Iron Boulder - main damage dealer of the team, band gives it great power and in tandem with dragapult can do a great job of cleaning opposing teams, and also breaking them down with help of meowscarada.
Skarmory - spike setter, great at punishing spin attempts from tusk if you want to play safe and not switch dragapult in. ID + Body Press allows it to become a solid win con in some end games. Tera fighting is for Kingambit and sometimes needed to just live against Iron Boulder (broken mon btw) s/o to njnp for this set.
Clefable - honestly a mon' i wasn't too high on going into this dlc, but a specially defensive fairy with rocks and twave obviously slot into this structure wonderfully with skarmory and iron boulder.
Meowscarada - I wanted to use this mon because despite the fact it's frail, it's a water and a ghost resist that can take a hit if it's necessary. It's also a menace offensively with access to triple axel, a great speed tier, it hard punishes so much for switching in with knock, and puts a massive dent on teams for boulder and pult to clean up. tera electric is to hit zapdos w/o fear of static and twave immunity in general.
Great Tusk - needed a ground, needed another gambit/boulder check. this is the guy. pretty standard set. I run max speed to speed tie with other max speed and outspeed gholdengo. Rapid spinning into gholdengo is a lot less low risk with temper flare now, as temper flare just blows up my boy.
Dragapult - shouldn't have to explain this choice, the GOAT specs user in the tier imo, great cleaner and takes advantage of the hazards and speed control clefable and skarmory can do.

The two biggest threats to this team are Walking Wake (need to tera clefable) and Iron Boulder (what offensive based team isn't weak to this). I didn't get ridiculously high with this but I did win most of my games and it felt solid. I didn't want to keep going though as I wasn't having a ton of fun with this one, but I do feel like it's a strong and unique team structure in this meta rn.

might as well post a team
1702827263671.png

1702827289897.png
NOTES: Classic TingSkarm. The main idea is to stack up hazards while balloon gholdengo blocks any spin attempts (if you predict well) and overload ting-lu (+skarmory) alongside iron boulder. Glowking provides pivoting, acts as a check to some special attackers and spreads status. Twave glowking also provides the perfect complement to hex ghold. Tera fire on boulder helps it against potential will-o-wisps and gives it a resistance to MiR. Tusk is the main hazard removal mon of the team and checks mons like scarf rai (locked in dpulse or smth).
USAGE TIPS: Try to stack up hazards with Ting-Lu and Skarmory as much as you can, preferrably early-game. Try to spread status with Glowking and pivot into hex Ghold whenever possible. If hazards get on your side, try to spin with tusk ASAP. When the time's right, and the opposing team is weak enough, get boulder in and sd-->clean. if required, terastallize. Be careful though, as you are unlikely to get many chances because of the once-only nature of booster energy.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Since zastra posted I figured I would too. Haven't been playing that much dlc2 unfortunately but I did decently well with this, getting to #11 on the alt sendhelpisuck (no screenshot bc I forgot)
:iron-boulder::ogerpon-cornerstone::gholdengo::iron-valiant::samurott-hisui::volcarona:
(click sprites for paste)
The idea came from seeing how unprepped a lot of DLC1 teams were for Cornerstone Ogerpon if they weren't carrying a few specific mons. I also noticed that the set was pretty customizable in terms of what its checks are. For example, running Knock Off > Low Kick lets you break Gholdengo at the expense of Kingambit walling you, and vice versa. I figured that Iron Boulder had a similar dilemma with Close Combat and Earthquake. I decided to go CC on Boulder because Tera Fighting lets you live the Sucker Punch, but Tera Ground EQ and Low Kick on Ogerpon also works. Next, I wanted Psyshock Gholdengo because, especially with Spikes, it covers the fat matchup for these kinds of HOs that can really struggle to do so otherwise. It also benefits from the pressure that the two Rock types put on Gambit. Any time you can get Gambit out early is a win for HO. Valiant and Moth were a special offensive core that had been working really well for others at the point when I built this (pre terapagos ban) and they fit on the team. And the Valiant set is another way to lure Gambit for the Ogerpon sweep. Samurott is the hazard setter of choice because it has more reliable offensive utility in the HO mirror. Wish I had written this sooner so I could give more detailed thoughts but if nothing else here's a strong team that y'all can spam on ladder.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
:ceruledge::kingambit::iron_valiant::roaring_moon::zamazenta::deoxys_speed: (click sprites for the paste)

this is a standard HO team featuring ceruledge, which aims to spread as much hazard chip as possible w/ deoxys-S + knock off alongside powerful setup sweepers such as ceruledge, kingambit and roaring moon.

• :deoxys_speed: - for my choice of lead, deoxys-S is the fastest hazard lead in the game and runs skill swap to shut down attempts at blocking it w/ hatterene. tera ghost is used to block rapid spin.
  • :iron_valiant: i intended to use this pokemon to break holes earlier in the game for the rest of the team to capitalize on, between its potent mixed attacking capabilities + encore to punish sucker punch & setup. the set uses heavy attack investment to heavily dent pokemon such as slowking-G, skeledirge, gholdengo and volcarona w/ knock off, and runs tera steel to tank extreme speed from dragonite, moonblast from opposing iron valiant and acrobatics from roaring moon in a pinch.
  • :zamazenta: - the set used on this team is the standard ironpress set from DLC1 meta, which i still find to hold up well in the DLC2 meta as well. tera fire gives you a fairy resistance and burn immunity, which gives it a much better MU against skeledirge, gholdengo, volcarona, enamorus, iron moth, iron valiant, gouging fire, etc. its best used as a mid/late-game sweeper after the opposing team has been sufficiently weakened, and especially once their special attackers are taken out
  • :ceruledge: / :kingambit: / :roaring_moon: - all three run their standard sets, with roaring moon running taunt to shut down status and phazing attempts from pokemon such as skarmory, gliscor and ting-lu. all three run tera flying to set up on ground types such as gliscor and great tusk, as well as roaring moon generally appreciating the STAB on acrobatics. RM should generally be sent out before the other two sweepers due to its substantially better wallbreaking capabilities w/ DD + taunt. ceruledge comes out mid/late-game after roaring moon goes down to pick off weakened foes w/ shadow sneak or can go in for game and sweep w/ swords dance. and of course, kingambit comes in late-game to set up and clean house

Last edited:
Iron Boulder HO 1900+
:smeargle: :dragapult: :gholdengo: :darkrai: :iron_boulder: :enamorus:

A lead + dengo and 4 fast mons : 383, 421, 513, 572 of speed respectively.

I wanted to make a team where boulder can actually do something and it worked, here some replays :
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2015998622 (Loss)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2016022498 (Win)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2016050148?p2 (Win)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2016056367 (Win &1900 proof)

Team paste : https://pokepast.es/62d688dc3443d800

Congratulations to leng loi on winning week 1 (20)!
viivian your team does not have Iron Boulder, so I had to remove it from submissions (I blame myself for the oversight and thanks Setsu for catching). Please be careful (I will, too) next time.
WEEK 2 (21): Serperior
:Sv/Serperior:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar / Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast
- Substitute
- Glare / Leech Seed
[NOTE: It is NOT mandatory to use this set only. Feel free to customize]
Thanks to its good Speed tier and access to Contrary+Leaf Storm, Serperior can prove itself to be a threatening sweeper against unprepared teams. Tera fire / Stellar can help it break past traditional answers such as Steel types like Skarmory easily. Substitute is a great move to ease predictions while blocking status moves, and utility moves like Glare and Leech Seed help it cripple its switch-ins (in case of Glare) or maintain longetivity by passive recovery (in case of Leech Seed).
How would you build a team that lets Serperior do its job best? You have 1 week to build!

Last edited:
:serperior: :raging-bolt: :skarmory: :skeledirge: :kingambit: :great-tusk:
Team Paste: https://pokepast.es/64951b482e2137d9

I already made a team including serperior and posted it on the RMT forum so I figured I might as well post it here. Big thanks to Roller K for making suggestions on improving my team.

:serperior:: Serperior serves as a great form of speed control by not only being a fast mon, but it can help cripple fast mons as well with Glare. Serperior also served as another ground resist. Leftovers synergizes well with substitute since it meant I could more reliably set up subs throughout the game. Tera Ground blast serprior was chosen over Fire since I had more than enough fire coverage on my team

:raging-bolt:: Thunderclap is a great priority option that helps me finish of pokemon that would otherwise threaten Raging Bolt such as Iron Valiant and Enamorus. Calm Mind I've found to be the most successful set in my playtesting since it serves as a fantastic late game cleaner that is really hard to take down on the special side even with only one calm mind. Leftovers is here over booster energy because the extra healing is way better for the role I want raging bolt to fulfill for the team since I also want raging bolt to constantly come in throughout the game to sponge the myriad of fire,water,electric and grass moves in the tier. Leftovers also helps mitigate the drawback of having to play 50/50 with thunderclap since I will be healing away while the opponent is trying to outstall my thunderclap PP. Tera Fairy is great for avoiding one of Raging Bolt's biggest weaknesses: dragon. Fairy is also just a great all-around defensive typing. The 56 speed ev's are to outspeed max speed adamant kingambits

:skarmory:: Since I was building a team around Raging Bolt I needed to cover its weaknesses and its biggest one IMO is its weakness to ground. I went searching through the OU tier for good ground resists/immunities when I stumbled across skarmory. Skarmory is an amazing defensive mon that I've found pairs extremely well with raging bolt since not only does it provide me with a much-needed ground immunity, but it can take advantage of said ground types by setting up spikes while they switch out. The EV spread and moveset should be pretty self explanatory

:kingambit:: One of the things I do when I (rarely) teambuild is making sure I always have a dark and ghost resist mon. For this team slot, I was stuck between either choosing Ting-Lu or Kingambit. Ting-Lu served as a more consistent check to all the dark and ghost types running around as well as being a better partner with skarmory but Kingambit served as a valuable physically offensive presence to my team. Then I realized one of the weaknesses I needed to cover for raging bolt, ice. While Ting-Lu would serve as a great check to a lot of dark and ghost type mons running around the tier, the same couldn't be said for the ice types like weavile or especially kyurem. While Kingambit isn't a perfect counter to the ice types either, it still provided me with an ice type resist rather than a weakness which is why I decided on using kingambit in the end. The reason I opted for choice band is that it was recommended to me when it was pointed out that is that my team has a lack of immediate power. Everything needs to set up to apply pressure.

:skeledirge:: Since I'm running two steel types, I needed to cover up the two weaknesses these two steel types shared, Fire. While raging bolt could serve as a good fire resist, it wasn't good enough for me especially against one of the most fearsome fire types in the tier, Volcarona. This is where Skeledirge comes in. Specially defensive Skeledirge serves as a great check to Volcarona as it either walls Volcarona to hell in back or forces Volcarona to tera. Even if Volc does tera however, I can still tera my skeledirge and slack off the damage since tera blast doesn't two hit KO skeledirge most of the time even if it hits me with a super effective tera blast the first turn before I tera'd. Tera Fairy is the classic Dirge tera type and I saw no reason to change it especially since it got a cool move in alluring voice. Scorching sands is another great addition to skeledirge's movepool since it can punish physical attackers 30% of the time

:great-tusk:: I needed a form of hazard removal and since I already had skarmory which meant I couldn't run corviknight for defog that meant I was really only left with one other option. Temper Flare was a move I've always wanted to try on Great Tusk since it served as a way to finally punish Air Balloon Gholdengo which many teams rely on as their form of spin blocking. Since I wanted to outspeed and OHKO gholdengo with temper flare max speed and max attack seemed like the best option. HDB as the item allowed me to more reliably come in throughout the battle and spin away those hazards while Close Combat and EQ are just good coverage stab moves

Last edited:
:serperior: :raging-bolt: :skarmory: :skeledirge: :kingambit: :great-tusk:
Team Paste: https://pokepast.es/64951b482e2137d9

I already made a team including serperior and posted it on the RMT forum so I figured I might as well post it here. Big thanks to Roller K for making suggestions on improving my team.

:serperior:: Serperior serves as a great form of speed control by not only being a fast mon, but it can help cripple fast mons as well with Glare. Serperior also served as another ground resist. Leftovers synergizes well with substitute since it meant I could more reliably set up subs throughout the game. Tera Ground blast serprior was chosen over Fire since I had more than enough fire coverage on my team

:raging-bolt:: Thunderclap is a great priority option that helps me finish of pokemon that would otherwise threaten Raging Bolt such as Iron Valiant and Enamorus. Calm Mind I've found to be the most successful set in my playtesting since it serves as a fantastic late game cleaner that is really hard to take down on the special side even with only one calm mind. Leftovers is here over booster energy because the extra healing is way better for the role I want raging bolt to fulfill for the team since I also want raging bolt to constantly come in throughout the game to sponge the myriad of fire,water,electric and grass moves in the tier. Leftovers also helps mitigate the drawback of having to play 50/50 with thunderclap since I will be healing away while the opponent is trying to outstall my thunderclap PP. Tera Fairy is great for avoiding one of Raging Bolt's biggest weaknesses: dragon. Fairy is also just a great all-around defensive typing. The 56 speed ev's are to outspeed max speed adamant kingambits

:skarmory:: Since I was building a team around Raging Bolt I needed to cover its weaknesses and its biggest one IMO is its weakness to ground. I went searching through the OU tier for good ground resists/immunities when I stumbled across skarmory. Skarmory is an amazing defensive mon that I've found pairs extremely well with raging bolt since not only does it provide me with a much-needed ground immunity, but it can take advantage of said ground types by setting up spikes while they switch out. The EV spread and moveset should be pretty self explanatory

:kingambit:: One of the things I do when I (rarely) teambuild is making sure I always have a dark and ghost resist mon. For this team slot, I was stuck between either choosing Ting-Lu or Kingambit. Ting-Lu served as a more consistent check to all the dark and ghost types running around as well as being a better partner with skarmory but Kingambit served as a valuable physically offensive presence to my team. Then I realized one of the weaknesses I needed to cover for raging bolt, ice. While Ting-Lu would serve as a great check to a lot of dark and ghost type mons running around the tier, the same couldn't be said for the ice types like weavile or especially kyurem. While Kingambit isn't a perfect counter to the ice types either, it still provided me with an ice type resist rather than a weakness which is why I decided on using kingambit in the end. The reason I opted for choice band is that it was recommended to me when it was pointed out that is that my team has a lack of immediate power. Everything needs to set up to apply pressure.

:skeledirge:: Since I'm running two steel types, I needed to cover up the two weaknesses these two steel types shared, Fire. While raging bolt could serve as a good fire resist, it wasn't good enough for me especially against one of the most fearsome fire types in the tier, Volcarona. This is where Skeledirge comes in. Specially defensive Skeledirge serves as a great check to Volcarona as it either walls Volcarona to hell in back or forces Volcarona to tera. Even if Volc does tera however, I can still tera my skeledirge and slack off the damage since tera blast doesn't two hit KO skeledirge most of the time even if it hits me with a super effective tera blast the first turn before I tera'd. Tera Fairy is the classic Dirge tera type and I saw no reason to change it especially since it got a cool move in alluring voice. Scorching sands is another great addition to skeledirge's movepool since it can punish physical attackers 30% of the time

:great-tusk:: I needed a form of hazard removal and since I already had skarmory which meant I couldn't run corviknight for defog that meant I was really only left with one other option. Temper Flare was a move I've always wanted to try on Great Tusk since it served as a way to finally punish Air Balloon Gholdengo which many teams rely on as their form of spin blocking. Since I wanted to outspeed and OHKO gholdengo with temper flare max speed and max attack seemed like the best option. HDB as the item allowed me to more reliably come in throughout the battle and spin away those hazards while Close Combat and EQ are just good coverage stab moves
Please run 96 speed skarm for gambits, it has saved my ass way too many times to not be mandatory

Team Paste: https://pokepast.es/e74ad7fb0e7791c8

:serperior: :dragapult: :samurott-hisui: :great tusk: :kingambit: :dragonite:

1. Serperior
    1. Set is standard issue by this week's challenge
    2. There are deviations to the Serp set, but I stuck with the one provided.
    3. Options over Substitute include Synthesis & Knock Off
  2. Dragapult
    1. Beats Pkmn that use Serp as free switch-in e.g. Kyurem, Hydrapple
    2. Benefits from Glare spam to handle faster threats
  3. H-Samurott
    1. AV to handle some SpA threats e.g. Volcarona, Dragapult, Kyurem
    2. Hazards support
    3. Sacred Sword to round out coverage
  4. Great Tusk
    1. Defensive check mainly for Gouging Fire
    2. Body Press > SR to provide more direct offensive pressure, mainly secondary answer to Steels w/out burning Tera on Serp
    3. Tera Water to better handle Triple Axel spammers
  5. Kingambit
    1. Opt for fat variant to better handle Ghost, Dark attacks
    2. Tera Fairy to handle Fighting + Dragon
  6. Dragonite
    1. Sweeper that appreciates Balance breaking aspects of Serperior
    2. Ice Spinner + Tera Ice to force progress on defensive Ground types

tornadus-therian.png
kingambit.png
great-tusk.png
serperior.png
kyurem-normal.png
gliscor.png

https://pokepast.es/434470ed11590ed6

This is a serp team ft specs kyurem. I decided to put leech seed serp on the team after watching BKC recent video of the history of leech seed and he briefly explains how seed can slow down the game when it super offensive also paired with sub so it can be a true menace. I decided to pair this up with specs kyurem because its a hard hitter who can benefit off of the fear of leech seed. I decided to stack sub seed with spikes gliscor just because hazards without boots makes everything easier for leech to benefit. Also put tusk as spinner because we are also weak to hazards. AV torn with uturn and knock to help switch things in easier. I didn't know whether to use kingambit or gholdengo so I just put gambit for pult.

the team itself is weak to kyurem and specs enamrous but I think its still viable

(Click sprites for paste)

Since I already posted this team in the RMT section, I decided to also post it here because I noticed that this week is about Serperior, and so is my team. The idea is to have Serperior with its standard Glare + Sub set paired up with a powerful DD sweeper such as Gouging Fire. Kingambit handles Dark and Ghost threats, and obviously Fairy types. I went with Low Kick on gambit in order to try breaking through troublesome fat walls such as Dondozo. Landorus-T and Hatterene are the reliable defensive pivots to stuff such as Ting-Lu and Great Tusk, and of course Lando-T checks opposing Kingambit which can be a threat. Glimmora is the lead of this team, and it also forms a hazard core with Lando-T (Spikes + Stealth Rock + Toxic Debris). This is a very simple description of the team,but if you wish to see more details about all of it you can check here.

Last edited:
Paste: https://pokepast.es/2fa79fbd743edd0e

:ribombee: :gholdengo: :serperior: :roaring moon: :kingambit: :manaphy:

This is a pretty standard webs team that's worked really well for me. The idea is that serperior's contrary allows it to benefit off of threats to webs like cinderace court change and hatterene magic bounce, while also being a potent sweeper while webs are successfully up. Tera ground is specifically because duraludon is annoying. There's some customization with the sets: Ribombee can be mental herb if deoxys-s and grimmsnarl are around, because taunt can be troublesome, manaphy can be tail glow instead of double dance, and roaring moon can be earthquake over brick break, although I really like the utility of breaking screens. Overall though, this has been the most successful variant of this team for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 1)