Project SV OU Teambuilding Competition (Indigo Disk Edition) Cycle 11: Volcarona!

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Congratulations to Lialiabeast for winning week 2!
WEEK 3 (22): Raging Bolt
:Sv/Raging-Bolt:
Raging Bolt @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderclap
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
[NOTE: It is NOT mandatory to use this set only. Feel free to customize]​

Raging Neck was designed to be the savior of VGC with strong electric-type priority and a typing effective for checking prominent threats, but those same attributes have proven to be quite effective in singles. Here, it can break balance once the ground types are worn down, present an incredible stop-gap for offense and rain, and even slot on weather teams with Protosynthesis and Weather Ball. The pokemon doesn't have a ton of tools outside of the previously mentioned options, but hopefully you can explore how strong electric type priority and its other benefits can support a team!

How would you build a team that lets Raging Bolt do its job best? You have 1 week to build!

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
I'll start,

Kyurem Moth Dragon Spam
:kyurem::roaring-moon::raging-bolt::volcarona::glimmora::zamazenta:

This is an HO team I built around :Kyurem: and :Volcarona:. Kyurem is running a set that absolutely solos fat with good play, and Volcarona is running the Terablast Dragon set that xavgb introduced. :Roaring Moon: came next to support Kyurem in breaking fat with Knock Off + DD. It's a premier HO mon because of its resistance to priority. I settled on :Raging Bolt: after trying several other priority users. It has great offensive synergy with Kyurem and Volcarona, helping to wear down Volcarona checks, and is carrying a Shuca Berry because the team lacks a Ground resist. :Glimmora: was the hazard lead of choice because I find that it's slightly more effective in keeping enemy hazards off than Deoxys-S. It also is running Mud Shot for a better matchup in the Glimmora HO mirror. Finally, I lacked solid Kingambit checks and wincons against HO, and I also only had one Fairy resist that often teras to a Fairy weakness, so I went with Roseli Berry IDPress :Zamazenta: to lure Enamorus and Valiant.

Last edited:

(Click sprites for paste)

Since Bolt doesn't really have an impressive base Speed stat, I thought that it could fit well on a TR team which I don't see very often on ladder. Of course in order to build a TR team you need 1 or 2 TR setters, so easy choice was Hatterene and the second choice I decided to add Cresselia cause Lunar Dance is surely useful and this mon got amazing bulk. So the rest of the team should be TR abusers, and I instantly thought of Ursaluna for obvious reasons + Ground type that can deal with Kingambit. Speaking of Kingambit, it naturally would fit here due to the Speed stat and its hard hitting capabilities. Last but not least, I needed a Special attacker that could hurt troublesome walls like Ting-Lu and for that reason I decided to add Choice Specs Torkoal as last mon.

Raging bolt.png
Primarina.png
Slowbro Gala.png
clef.png
gliscor.png
kingambit.png

https://pokepast.es/ef80de46ad232e00

This is my raging bolt BO team that I think is really good on paper. Raging bolt is so annoying to switch in to so I build a team that try to get the most usage out of it as possible. I had an original team that had specs bolt which is super hard hitting but it super weak to hazards so I change it to a calm mind set with boots to make it more of a opportunity mon and being able to set up. I decided to pair it with the best core in the game Clef + Gliscor two fat mons that can soak up hits. Added a Slowbro gala just to make bringing in bolt easier and also twave threats coming in. I realized how super weak I was to pult so I decided to throw a CM sleep talk boots primarina just to help me face weavile dd kyurem.

I think this team is very strong and powerful on paper. I would've prefer to build around specs bolt but I couldn't come up with something to my liking.

Here's the original team + a replay of it :

https://pokepast.es/6f964753c6b1c639

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2028558257-q4heyrlw44yyoebyjcck7bfy92esslypw

:raging-bolt: :Corviknight: :clefable: :dondozo: :Weavile: :iron-valiant:

Choice Specs Raging Bolt Balance
  • I wanted to try something different from other Raging Bolt (RBolt) sets, so I opted for Choice Specs for immediate wallbreaking potential, esp. with Draco Meteor and Thunderclap. EVs stay the same from CM because it outspeeds 0 Spe Gliscor (guaranteed OHKO on non-Careful variants).
  • Corviknight provides hazard removal and VoltTurn partner for RBolt. Corv is slow enough where it can bring RBolt in safely most of the time, and its resistances to RBolt's weakness makes it a good turning partner. I opt for Tera Ground in case I need a Volt Switch stop, but that Tera slot is very flexible.
  • Clefable sets hazards and functions as my special Dragon check. Its Fairy typing synergizes with Corv to create a strong balance backbone. Tera Water to emergency check Steel-types. As mentioned many times, Knock Off + SR helps chip down fatter teams.
  • Dondozo serves as a potential sweeper / wincon while also checking Gouging Fire, the only Dragon-type in this tier that my team can't handle properly. I prefer 2 Atks and no Sleep Talk for the coverage, but 1 attack also works. Tera Dark makes the team less vulnerable to Stored Power CM breakers.
  • Weavile provides another sweeper / breaker that adds some consistency to the team's priority options. Triple Axel + SD capitalizes on the Ground Pokemon Raging Bolt usually brings in. Weavile's speed also shores up the general slowness of the team (RBolt's Thunderclap is inconsistent at best). Tera Ice boosts Ice Shard and Triple Axel's damage for wallbreaking purposes.
  • Choice Scarf Iron Valiant provides speed control, some extra coverage against relevant types in the tier, and secondary "wallbreaking". In terms of relevant speed threats, IV is only slower than +1 Booster Boulder; otherwise, it can outspeed most Pokemon in OU. The team generally has a harder time answering Fighting and Dark Pkmn, so IV provides some relief through Moonblast and CC. In addition, fatter teams are still problematic for this team even with 2 Knock Off users, so TrickScarf can be used to cripple key piece's of an opposing team's defensive backbone.
Also, special thanks to leng loi for running these teambuilding competitions. I've participated in 2 so far in DLC2 (I never uploaded my Boulder team, unfortunately), and I like how it's spurred me to practice teambuilding on a consistent basis.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Congratulations to leng loi for winning week 3!
NotDaProGamer your vote was not counted as you voted for #1 in two different positions.

WEEK 4 (23): Kyurem
:Sv/Kyurem:

Kyurem has proven to be a top meta threat with its incredible power, coverage, and set versatility. It can use a variety of items as well as physical, special, or mixed movesets to effectively pick its counters. We hope you consider this versatility when building, and choose niche coverage options that help support a team in unique ways. For example, mixed Kyurem can pick up Rock Slide as its 4th move to nail incoming Volcarona; offenses with adequate hazard removal can run items such as Nevermeltice or Loaded Dice; and boots sets can take advantage of defensive pivots on balance/BO bootspam teams to safely enter the field and threaten powerful STAB moves.

How would you build a team that lets Kyurem do its job best? You have 1 week to build!

Last edited:
Congratulations to leng loi for winning week 3!
NotDaProGamer your vote was not counted as you voted for #1 in two different positions.

WEEK 4 (23): Kyurem
:Sv/Kyurem:

Kyurem has proven to be a top meta threat with its incredible power, coverage, and set versatility. It can use a variety of items as well as physical, special, or mixed movesets to effectively pick its counters. We hope you consider this versatility when building, and choose niche coverage options that help support a team in unique ways. For example, mixed Kyurem can pick up Rock Slide as its 4th move to nail incoming Volcarona; offenses with adequate hazard removal can run items such as Nevermeltice or Loaded Dice; and boots sets can take advantage of defensive pivots on balance/BO bootspam teams to safely enter the field and threaten powerful STAB moves.

How would you build a team that lets Kyurem do its job best? You have 1 week to build!
Sorry lol, misput it as 2 but mistyped, sos.

:sv/kyurem::sv/dragonite::sv/hatterene::sv/enamorus::sv/great tusk::sv/gouging fire:
So, Mr My-Name-Is-Hard-To-Spell-So-Small-Sprites-Are-A-Pain-To-Get Kyruem. I went for the :loaded dice: set, to make it a strong physical attacker. This is a mon who takes 25% from rocks. Let's put on some removal! Tusk and Hatterene make sure no hazards get through. Soo, the niche pick. The hidden gem. The hazard reliant mon, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and everyone else not included in those groups, give it up for :weakness policy::dragonite:!
Am I crazy? Yes! Fairy and Dragon are two common attacking types, and Tera Normal can be used to get +2 on fighting moves too! Without the burden of Stealth Rocks, it can use an item and not worry that its multiscale might be broken. Enamorus was added next, a fast rocks weak mon who could serve as an alternate tera wincon with scarfed stellar tera blast. Finally came Gouging Fire, another rocks-weak mon but this one utilised :heavy-duty boots: to make sure that it would not be an autoloss if rocks snuck past our removal. All sets, aside from Dragonite's (obviously), are standard.
(Aw, I missed an opportunity to use these lads! :sv/minior::sv/minior-orange::sv/minior-yellow::sv/minior-green::sv/minior-blue::sv/minior-indigo::sv/minior-violet:)

Last edited:
:sv/kyurem::SS/Slowking Galar::sv/skarmory::sv/clefable::sv/great tusk::sv/dragapult:
https://pokepast.es/9bbce3e788015b04

Specs :Kyurem: is our main wallbreaker and will put out a lot of work destroying more than half of the teams on the ladder.
:Slowking_Galar: is our special wall with slow chilly reception to bring in Kyurem for free and give it a 1.5 defense boost. Thunder wave is our only speed control on this team and helps cripple most checks.
:Skarmory: and :Clefable: complete our defensive trio. They can hazard stack to aid more in kyurem doing its job. :Clefable: with wish over moonlight to wish-support :Kyurem: as it lost roost this gen.
:Dragapult: is our main mon with high speed and our spinblocker. Thunder wave would be good to cripple it's checks and gain more speed control. But having two twave mons didn't fit well and will-o-wisp destroying physical attackers and negating leftovers for bulky mons did better job. Hex to destroy paralyzed and burnt mons
:Great_Tusk: is here only for Spinning away hazards. Hence the Boots. Temper flare is better on this team for coverage and 150bp Tera Fire move will destroy most spin blockers. Knock off to remove boots off of mons to help spikes and rocks do their thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)