The art of Random Battles - Mastering the unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction

Random Battle is probably my favorite tier of Pokemon Showdown. As someone who used to be just an OU player, seeing something other than Rotom W, Talonflame and Landorus T felt like a fresh breeze. Random Battle might be the best way to mix tiers. You can get an Uber and 5 NU Pokemon in your team, and still defeat your foe because of the great synergy of your team. Your'e afraid that you Rayquaza might get OHKO'd by an Ice punch from this Lucario? Just send in your Walrein. This tier let's you learn about all of those cool odd pokemon that you never thought of using, and help you with building teams with these interesting pokemon. Have you ever seen a Girafarig sweeping an OU team? Because I did.

The Basics

There are a few things that you should remember about RB:
  • The tier is mixed - One of the most noticble things about RB is that you get to see Pokemon from all tiers (excpet for LC). You can have a Lugia, a Talonflame and a Sunflora on the same team. And that is what makes this tier unique - It's all about the synergy of your team. But more on that later.
  • The levels are adjusted - There are no Level 100 Pokemon on RB. Pokemon have their levels adjusted so they will be on a pretty much equel level of power. For example, I had a level 86 Wormadam, level 82 Gastrodon and a Level 70 Dialga.
  • Pokemon don't always have the expected moves - The Pokemon in the RB tier don't have the most competetive sets - You would expect a Greninja with Surf, Dark Pulse, Ice Beam and Grass Know maybe. Well I just got one with Surf, Dark Pulse, Taunt and Toxic Spikes. It doesn't make it a bad Pokemon - It just makes predicting a lot more challenging, a blessing in my opinion.
  • Less about the Pokemon, more about the synergy - One thing that you should remember about this tier, and maybe the most important thing, is that the way to win is by adjusting to your pokemon. When you start a battle, take your time and check your pokemon, their items, their abillities, moves, ressitances and weaknesses. Don't afraid to set roles, just like you do in regular team building. That Mega Aggron could be a great tank, and that Leafeon can sweep.
  • Not all pokemon are viable - Unown is still garbage. If you have one, I recommend using it as death fodder or as something to take fighting moves. As I said, it's about letting you team enjoy that sweet synergy of being able to protect one another.
  • Learn from your mistakes - You will make a lot of mistakes while battling in random. Learn from them for your next battles. Aegislash might not always have Kings Shield so the mind games are even more confusing. Most pokemon that have Reflect/Light screen don't have the other one, So don't predict that.

Threats

• Xerneas

This monster is probably the most dangerous thing in RB. Power Herb Geomancy is scary, and it usually carries Moonblast, Thunder and sometimes Megahorn. Bring a strong steel type, like Choice Band Metagross (if you can).

• Mega Lucario

There is a reason for Mega Lucario being in Ubers. This thing is so versatile and unpredictble that it's actually terrifying. Take it out as soon as you possibly can.

I will think of other threats later.

Conclusion
Random Battles are a great way to experiment and try something new. Be sure ot check it out!

Since this article is an important one, we'd like to have one of our more proven authors writing. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)