The New Smogon Speedrun Contest! Round 2 - Platformers

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Approved by Hipmonlee

Hello, and welcome back to the Smogon Speedrun Contest! Each week I will post a speedrun contest, and anyone is free to compete - there is no limit on the number of players. You may even compete in just one week, there is no compulsion to compete every week - however the more contests you take part in, the more points you can earn in order to be crowned Smogon's Speedrun Champion.

The Rules:
1. This is a weekly contest. One speedrunning challenge is posted each week, and you have within 6 days of the posting to produce a video or emulator video file of your beating the level in question.
2. No save states are allowed.
3. Runs can be accepted from either an emulator or from the actual consoles, by externally recording them via DVD or capture cards.
4. Do not ask where to get ROMs. This is illegal.
5. Points are scored out of the top ten fastest times or highest scores in each game. The winner is the one who earns the most points over 6 games in 6 different categories.
6. Once the run is ready to be sent to me, you must upload either the emulator video file or video to a hosting website and PM me the link so I can review and mark your time.

Emulator save files can be stored at this address: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php. Recorded AVIs can be uploaded to file sharing sites like Mediafire.

7. All judge decisions are final.
8. You do not have to compete each week, however the more games you take part in the more points you can earn.
9. For players using PAL versions, times will be multiplied by 6/5 to compare to NTSC times.

Week 1 - Puzzle - Tetris
Week 2 - Platformer - Super Mario Bros 3
Week 3 - Racing
Week 4 - Beat em up
Week 5 - Sports
Week 6 - Shmup

Week 2:

Platformer - Super Mario Bros 3

Perhaps the best platformer on the SNES, Super Mario Bros 3!

The Challenge!
Complete World 1-1 in the fastest time possible.

Deadline for entries must reach my PM box before 0:00 GMT, Thursday 30th September. A new challenge will be posted later on that day, and the results will come out as soon as I can verify all the times.

Week 1 Results - Cancelled due to lack of entries

Good luck to all!

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
ok this is stupid and way too hard. pick a different challenge.

edit: ok, so after watching run of this on youtibe it seems the site i was playing on, the speed of it was like 5x as fast :/

Toothache

Let the music play!
I did some testing to see whether this was too hard or not. Had a lot of failed attempts, but with it being such a short challenge, and after a while you can get a starting field which is very open and has room for a lot of early lines, it isn't so bad with a bit of patience and perseverence. Timed a half-decent run at 1:42, so that's a ballpark figure to aim for.

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShfZGpMZ89U

A demonstration to show how feasible this time is. This is easily beatable, and it only took half an hour of play to get this, so with a few days practise this will easily be surpassed. I know I can beat this, so I'm sure any one of you can too!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not everyone is gonna have the target game, or be able to acquire it. And I can understand the lack of RPG (a popular speed run genre) but why do you have sports instead of survival horror (very popular speed run genre)?

Toothache

Let the music play!
Just a reminder you have less than 36 hours to submit your videos or movie files. I've had precisely zero submissions so far, and I'm disappointed again with the lack of interest - this is what killed the last attempt at running a speedrun tournament.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
It's because your challenge is too specific, it's hard to get people interested and harder to make sure they have the right game. Especially one on gameboy, even I don't have the hardware to record handheld gaming.

It may be subjective, but honestly you'd be better off just putting up the genre and letting people vote on the best submission.

I would have to agree with von Fiedler. However, I do have a few ideas to meld our theme of competitive Pokemon battling with speedrunning for your consideration:

-Race to a Frontier symbol/print (I think the official record for the Pt/HG/SS Gold Tower Print is 78 minutes courtesy of Peterko)
-Point to Point: From game start, reach a certain point (such as acquiring a certain Badge or entering the Hall of Fame).
-Roid Rage: From a newly hatched Egg, raise a given Pokemon to a certain level.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Speedrunning any sort of RPG certainly won't make for an entertaining contest. Platformers are actually probably the most entertaining genre to the casual speedrun enthusiast.

Toothache

Let the music play!
Newest challenge is posted, and you'll be pleased to know it is a platformer.

I also had no entries for the puzzle week, so I decided to just skip over that and continue on.

I'd think it'd be best for those folk who can't use videos to merely post screenshots or whatnot of their final times. If they shop they are (BAN ME PLEASE) and are DQed.

This speedrun thing would work great with flash games and shit personally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)