SM UU The unusual Suspects

Introduction

Hi there, DarwYyn here. I am still kinda new to the competitive tier, being around for less than three months now. Still I am decently proud to find myself bouncing in and out 1400 ELO on the UU Ladder. But since I am (already) tired of using the same top-tier Mons and teams over and over again, I started the building process for this team, which runs two rather unusual mons and sets: Bulk Up Tornadus and Unburden Sceptile. Bear with me because this team is far from perfect. This is why I am asking for your RMT and your help to make this core of unusual set-up sweepers into a more decent team!

Teambuilding Process

We start of with a physical hitting Tornadus who only runs acrobatics as a damaging move, bulk up to set up and the combo of rest+sleep talk+chesto berry.

Alternatively the second sweeper option of the team ist a fun set of Unburden Sceptile who tries to live a hit (this really is the challenge), while Swords Dancing up, showing the opponent the red card and doubling its speed to sweep through.

Gligar is the rocker of the team, who is also the main physical wall and chipping on the steel types who ruin our chance of sweeping with flying-spam.

We pair this with the decently bulky Mega-Blastoise who forms a special breaking threat that also spins away hazard from our opponent without removing our own.

Since we are already trying to wear the opponent down with entry hazards, we might aswell deny his defog: Say hello to our new friend bisharp. While being capable of cleaning and sweeping, he more or less fills the role of a physical wallbreaker and is our z-move user to get rid of that wall.

Last but not least we have our special wall, answer to dragons, emergency prankster button and spike setter of the team.

The Team

Tornadus @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Tornadus most often seeks for an option to catch a mon that he can set up on. While he is weak when still holding his berry, he comes in mid to late game, sets up with priority Bulk Up (on a physical attacking mon that can't touch him) when the opponent ran out of (special) answers. When he's at +2 or +3 we priority resto chesto up, get our Acrobatics buff and also gain priority on further used Sleep Talks.
Additionally Tornadus soaks up spore from Amoonguss and threatens him with flying stab in return which has a good chance to OHKO after stealth rocks and recovery.
Prankster helps with all this because besides Acrobatics all attacks gain priority (although sleep talk does not work on dark types because of it #whoops). Status is also no problem because of rest and I have been toxic poisoned many times to just rest out of it.
Tornadus struggles with steel types, who also take reduced damage from rocks. Thats why I needed Spike Support - more on this later. This basically set the whole tone for the team, bringing in Klefki and Bisharp and the need for a spinner.

Sceptile @ Red Card
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake
Oh boy, it's tough to make it work, but when it does - this is fire! Basic idea is to wait to late game, when Sceptile can sweep through the rest of the team, get a free switch into Sceptile and SD up, while taking a hit. This activates the Red Card and Unburden, therefore leaving us at +2 Attack and +2 Speed in one turn.
From here on out we should be quicker than every unboosted Mon out there (still have to get rid of priority users first though!). With the coverage of Leaf Blade, boosted Acrobatics and EQ we punch a lot of holes - hopefully sweeping through. Not only is the Red Card something that surprises the opponent, the unburden ability also sometimes catches them off guard and since we have Blastoise and Sceptile as possible Mega-Evolutions you can get into the opp. head who expects a special Mega-Sceptile.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
Gligar has slowly become my favorite physical wall. Not only is it incredibly bulky with its eviolite, it also compresses roles nicely. You get Ground and Electric Immunity, an immunity to status, access to stealth rock, a slow U-Turn to get your threads in safely. You also can chip at steel types which annoy this team with EQ, but don't get hit by Knock Off - if you can prevent it... I opted to run Roost as the fourth move, since Gligar is so important, that I want to keep it healthy as much as I can.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
Especially Tornadus does not like switching into rocks and we want to wear down the opp. team with spikes - therefore we needed a spinner. And a Special Attacker. And we have no mega evolution yet. So Blastoise came natural. I have not used this much before, but I have to admit that I really like its breaking potential and natural bulk.
Not much to say here. Set is rather standard. Coverage is there to hit steel types with Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse for the Celebi switch that comes out often, or the try to spin block with a ghost type. This got rid of Ice Beam though - don't know how bad this will turn out for me...

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
Since we were already on the track of spike offense, without being to hyperly offensive, I added new guy in town Bisharp. Getting the defiant buff on defog uses leads to some beautiful mindgames. Bisharp is also our way to deal with CM Latias, and therefore sometimes fills the role of late game sweeper, while in other games he is just there to force switches and knocking stuff off. Since we had the Z-Move still available, I put it on Bisharp - this fits the rather unusual tone of the team and nets some OHKOs against walls that thought they can recover the damage. I am still debating to switch this to lucario (physical set with priority).

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Toxic
Klefki is the main form of special walling on this team. Being fairy and steel gives it awesome resists and only two weaknesses which are covered by Gligar and Blastoise.
I went fully SpDef because of the teams need. In an earlier form Klefki had Light Clay and Dual Screens to allow Sceptile to take more hits, but this was switched in favor of double status, which we otherwise don't have on this team. With the prankster ability this gives us a form of emergency button against set up and the random para on a switch.
Since a huge threat to the team is SD Scizor I am debating to put HP fire on this...

Conclusion

It's fun and it's unusual. But it also holds its own, winning a fair amount of games. But I am certain it can be improved, so give me all your tips. They are highly appreciated. Please don't change the core of Sceptile and Tornadus. The rest can be changed, if you feel it would improve the team. Maybe the whole direction of Spikes and Bisharp is not the way to go. What's your take on this?
You probably already see some problems to this team, so feel free to let me know :)
I am excited for your answers.

Tornadus @ Chesto Berry
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Sceptile @ Red Card
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Toxic

Last edited:
Hey there man and welcome in RMT Subforum ! I'm gonna be honest, there is things that doesn't look good in your team. I can totally understand the fact that you like a lot both of your Sceptile and Tornadus but if you want the team to be effective in higher ladder, you are going to fix things.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Changes :

• Firstable I can advise you to change the set on Tornadus. Initially, Bulk Up Tornadus is already a niche and its AoA Physical isn't the best in the current Metagame. I think it will be better with Life Orb or Flynium Z Mixed. Bulk Up Rest-Talk is in my opinion too difficult to Set-Up to be effective.

• Then we need to talk about your Sceptile. I believe you when you said it worked but I can also confirm that the higher you will go on the ladder, the harder it will be to Set Up this Sceptile. Without a doubt, Sceptile-Mega or Virizon will be better. The first one doesn't need undurden to be fast and hits pretty harder when the other one has a better Bulk, a better Statistic in Attack but also a better offensive typing with Grass + Fighting.

• Gligar was a good idea since it can deal with Zeraora which pressures Tornadus. It's also a good Stealth Rocks setter and a nice Pivot thanks to its slow U-Turn. It's a good pick for the team and we should keep it.

• If you play Sceptile-Mega, then Tentacruel can replace Blastoise-Mega. Tentacruel is a really solid check to Scizor so it's also pretty interesting for your team. Toxic Spikes are always useful as well as Haze. On the Virizon's team, I believe that Rotom-Heat will fit. It also gives you a Scizor's answer and Momentum thanks to Volt-Switch.

• Bisharp can be a good pick in the Sceptile-Mega's team (you can also think about SD or Choice Band Crawdaunt). In Virizon's team, I believe that Sharpedo-Mega will be much better. Indeed, Spikes is really nasty with Sharpedo-Mega and for this reason, I think that Sharpedo-Mega may be better. It also gives you a better answer to Rotom-Heat and some Fire Types in a lesser extent. Sharpedo-Mega also brings Speed to your team thanks to its ability Speed Boost before it Mega-Evolves.

• Finally, Klefki is a really good pick and I don't think we should remove it ! I just opted for Magnet Rise on both team because it allows Klefki to deal with Mamoswine which is pretty good because it's a huge threat for both team.

Tornadus @ Flyinium Z / Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot
- Superpower

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald

Bisharp @ Dread Plate / Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise
- Toxic
- Dazzling Gleam

Tornadus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot
- Superpower

Virizion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise
- Toxic
- Dazzling Gleam

Crawdaunt @ Waterium Z / Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Crunch

I hope that my advice helped you :psyglad:

Last edited:

Introduction

Hi there, DarwYyn here. I am still kinda new to the competitive tier, being around for less than three months now. Still I am decently proud to find myself bouncing in and out 1400 ELO on the UU Ladder. But since I am (already) tired of using the same top-tier Mons and teams over and over again, I started the building process for this team, which runs two rather unusual mons and sets: Bulk Up Tornadus and Unburden Sceptile. Bear with me because this team is far from perfect. This is why I am asking for your RMT and your help to make this core of unusual set-up sweepers into a more decent team!

Teambuilding Process

We start of with a physical hitting Tornadus who only runs acrobatics as a damaging move, bulk up to set up and the combo of rest+sleep talk+chesto berry.

Alternatively the second sweeper option of the team ist a fun set of Unburden Sceptile who tries to live a hit (this really is the challenge), while Swords Dancing up, showing the opponent the red card and doubling its speed to sweep through.

Gligar is the rocker of the team, who is also the main physical wall and chipping on the steel types who ruin our chance of sweeping with flying-spam.

We pair this with the decently bulky Mega-Blastoise who forms a special breaking threat that also spins away hazard from our opponent without removing our own.

Since we are already trying to wear the opponent down with entry hazards, we might aswell deny his defog: Say hello to our new friend bisharp. While being capable of cleaning and sweeping, he more or less fills the role of a physical wallbreaker and is our z-move user to get rid of that wall.

Last but not least we have our special wall, answer to dragons, emergency prankster button and spike setter of the team.

The Team

Tornadus @ Chesto Berry
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Tornadus most often seeks for an option to catch a mon that he can set up on. While he is weak when still holding his berry, he comes in mid to late game, sets up with priority Bulk Up (on a physical attacking mon that can't touch him) when the opponent ran out of (special) answers. When he's at +2 or +3 we priority resto chesto up, get our Acrobatics buff and also gain priority on further used Sleep Talks.
Additionally Tornadus soaks up spore from Amoonguss and threatens him with flying stab in return which has a good chance to OHKO after stealth rocks and recovery.
Prankster helps with all this because besides Acrobatics all attacks gain priority (although sleep talk does not work on dark types because of it #whoops). Status is also no problem because of rest and I have been toxic poisoned many times to just rest out of it.
Tornadus struggles with steel types, who also take reduced damage from rocks. Thats why I needed Spike Support - more on this later. This basically set the whole tone for the team, bringing in Klefki and Bisharp and the need for a spinner.

Sceptile @ Red Card
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake
Oh boy, it's tough to make it work, but when it does - this is fire! Basic idea is to wait to late game, when Sceptile can sweep through the rest of the team, get a free switch into Sceptile and SD up, while taking a hit. This activates the Red Card and Unburden, therefore leaving us at +2 Attack and +2 Speed in one turn.
From here on out we should be quicker than every unboosted Mon out there (still have to get rid of priority users first though!). With the coverage of Leaf Blade, boosted Acrobatics and EQ we punch a lot of holes - hopefully sweeping through. Not only is the Red Card something that surprises the opponent, the unburden ability also sometimes catches them off guard and since we have Blastoise and Sceptile as possible Mega-Evolutions you can get into the opp. head who expects a special Mega-Sceptile.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
Gligar has slowly become my favorite physical wall. Not only is it incredibly bulky with its eviolite, it also compresses roles nicely. You get Ground and Electric Immunity, an immunity to status, access to stealth rock, a slow U-Turn to get your threads in safely. You also can chip at steel types which annoy this team with EQ, but don't get hit by Knock Off - if you can prevent it... I opted to run Roost as the fourth move, since Gligar is so important, that I want to keep it healthy as much as I can.

Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
Especially Tornadus does not like switching into rocks and we want to wear down the opp. team with spikes - therefore we needed a spinner. And a Special Attacker. And we have no mega evolution yet. So Blastoise came natural. I have not used this much before, but I have to admit that I really like its breaking potential and natural bulk.
Not much to say here. Set is rather standard. Coverage is there to hit steel types with Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse for the Celebi switch that comes out often, or the try to spin block with a ghost type. This got rid of Ice Beam though - don't know how bad this will turn out for me...

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
Since we were already on the track of spike offense, without being to hyperly offensive, I added new guy in town Bisharp. Getting the defiant buff on defog uses leads to some beautiful mindgames. Bisharp is also our way to deal with CM Latias, and therefore sometimes fills the role of late game sweeper, while in other games he is just there to force switches and knocking stuff off. Since we had the Z-Move still available, I put it on Bisharp - this fits the rather unusual tone of the team and nets some OHKOs against walls that thought they can recover the damage. I am still debating to switch this to lucario (physical set with priority).

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Toxic
Klefki is the main form of special walling on this team. Being fairy and steel gives it awesome resists and only two weaknesses which are covered by Gligar and Blastoise.
I went fully SpDef because of the teams need. In an earlier form Klefki had Light Clay and Dual Screens to allow Sceptile to take more hits, but this was switched in favor of double status, which we otherwise don't have on this team. With the prankster ability this gives us a form of emergency button against set up and the random para on a switch.
Since a huge threat to the team is SD Scizor I am debating to put HP fire on this...

Conclusion

It's fun and it's unusual. But it also holds its own, winning a fair amount of games. But I am certain it can be improved, so give me all your tips. They are highly appreciated. Please don't change the core of Sceptile and Tornadus. The rest can be changed, if you feel it would improve the team. Maybe the whole direction of Spikes and Bisharp is not the way to go. What's your take on this?
You probably already see some problems to this team, so feel free to let me know :)
I am excited for your answers.

Tornadus @ Chesto Berry
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Sceptile @ Red Card
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Toxic
Hello again! I see that Moutemoute has already rated your team but I might as well share my perspective on it. I will commend you for your creativity but unfortunately, creativity can only take you so far. No matter how hard you try to make a Pokémon work, they just sometimes end up to be underwhelming or just bad in general and a lot of your team is either very gimmicky or just isn’t good to put it bluntly. While I didn’t include Mega Sceptile in this HO, I still tried to keep some of the essence that your original team had.

The Process:

Even though a lot of your team was lacking in its sense of direction, you still had some pieces that could be utilized into a proper HO. I still kept Tornadus into this team since it still fits in an HO format and it’s one of the most criminally underrated mons in the tier in my honest opinion. Bisharp still fits as it is a powerful win condition for HO. I really like Mega Blastoise and it provides your team a bulky but offensive Rapid Spinner and a Scizor check. Stacking two Steel types together seemed bad at first, but this team definitely needs Klefki to compress a Dragon and Flying check.

For my next slot I required an offensive Stealth Rock setter and an Electric immunity and in an offensive playstyle like HO, Gligar is a momentum drainer so I decided to add Sash Mamo to the team.

Finally, this team was very weak to Fighting types as Tornadus is a very frail mon so I placed a Latias onto it. It is also the secondary set up sweeper for the team but it holds a surprise item.

New Sets and Added Pokémon:

Tornadus:
So for starters, Bulk Up Tornadus is just not a good set so I switched it up a little bit to give you a Flyinium Tornadus.
Tornadus @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Tailwind

This Tornadus set is a good hard hitter for the team. It has a Flyinium Z since Tornadus has no boosting moves outside of Bulk Up and because you have a fully accurate Flying nuke. Tornadus sits at an amazing speed tier so it usually can easily pivot out with U-turn. Finally, Tailwind is on this Tornadus set as a parting gift for your team if it’s about to die to give a speed boost to your Bisharp or Latias.

Mamoswine:
So for this Mamoswine I gave it a Focus Sash mainly because I don’t think that Life Orb Mamoswine shouldn’t be carrying Rocks and so that it acts as a lead for your team.
Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

It’s a very standard set but if you see an Electric type on your opponent’s team that looks like an issue then you can conserve your Mamoswine if necessary to keep an Electric immunity on your team.

Latias:
So what’s this surprise item on the Latias you may ask? Well see for yourself:
Latias @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Recover

Yup! A Colbur Berry! Your opponent will definitely be shocked when they bring in their Scarfed Krookodile or Hydreigon and think they can revenge kill you until you eat this berry and blow them back. I’ve honestly just been a fan of using a Colbur Berry on Dark weak Pokémon and then destroying them through this shock. It also doesn’t give off the Life Orb recoil so you can bluff a Z-Move on your Latias.

Minor Changes:
  • Now that your Tornadus has the Z-Move, I gave Bisharp some Black Glasses to give it boosted Knock Offs and Sucker Punches and honestly I’ve never been a fan of Life Orb in general. And between Bisharp, Tornadus, and Latias, it will be difficult for your opponent to determine which Pokémon holds the Z-Move at team preview and throughout the match.
  • I swapped out Toxic for Magnet Rise on Klefki. It’s just my own personal preference since I like adding on that Ground immunity on Klefki and it gives it an easier time setting up Spikes.
And that’s it! I don’t usually build HO so this definitely was a fun experience for me to go outside of my comfort zone. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away!

Tornadus @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Dazzling Gleam

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Latias @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Recover

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)