Troy Hurtubise's "Halo Suit"

I began reading the latest subscrption of Gamepro today, and I came across quite an article. I saw the words "real-life Halo suit" above the article and became immediately interested. I read about some of the "intense durability tests" the suit was given. (With the creator in it) The tests include but are not limited to: "swinging a 300-pound log directly into his face, driving a pickup truck into him at 31 MPH, and getting pushed off a steep escarpment both headfirst and backwards." The only instance he reported to have a problem in was the aformentioned "headfirst" drop, which was due to his helmet coming off.
The suit is said to be able to withstand armor piercing rounds (80% of the suit that is), and fire. It was also said that the suit weighs about 40 pounds. (One of the models did at least) He has been working on this and it's predecessors for about 20 years.

I'm not sure if this is real because this is...very incredible. His government won't take the idea. (Possibly because it isn't what he claims it is) He has been building it off of his own means and lives "day-to-day". I'm confused whether to believe this or not because it doesn't have much to back it up. (He has a youtube channel with videos but hoaxes can be quite elaborate)
I checked the search trend on it and it seems that is comes up only twice in a large amount and that it is dies immediately afterwards.

Is this real, or am I being a bit close-minded?
Why won't Canada fund this and use it for their military?
What implications does it bring to the country that does get this technology. (Assuming this isn't some elaborate hoax...)

I just can't believe that something like that would only weigh 40 pounds. Doesn't seem very legit.

Also I think if his helmet came off he'd break his neck and die in that scenario.

The 40lbs is probably the biggest factor in me not believing.
He said he had a concussion or something, Idk how the helmet came off or how far he fell. That said there is not much detail. (Maybe he's a...dwarf)

Personally, I don't believe this either. I mean, I believe that he made the suit but the tests are ridiculous as I think although the suit may be intact from those tests, the change in velocity would be too much for a human being to handle. But as for the weight of the armour, you never know, new lightweight, strong metal alloys are being created.

The log and the car I think could quite easily be done. For the former the suit may be designed to support the neck and restrict its motion. You're going to get knocked down, but could quite easily be OK, especially as it doesn't say how fast the log was moving. Similarly for the car, people get hit at 30 unarmoured and often survive.
Something like the "Red Man Suit" they use on Mythbusters sometimes would probably do the trick.

Being armour-piercing bulletproof, however, I call shenanigans on.

Reminds me somewhat of "dragon skin", a body armour claimed to have incredible properties, but has been accepted by few if any military and law enforcement agencies. Never believe what a salesperson says.

Dragon skin is not terrible, it does its job and there have been law enforcement agencies that have purchased dragon skin. The problems with dragon skin is that it did not perform well in the conditions that the United States military (The armor's adhesive was known to corrode in extremely hot environments which is where most of our active troops are fighting in). However, for civilian usage and SWAT teams, the Dragon Skin does what it's supposed to do.

PS: I do not believe that he could have an armor that can resists armor-piercing rounds weighing only 40 pounds, current modern body armor weighs much more than that and they are not "suits".

I was thinking he was avoiding saying some of the technicalities. He was apparentely featured on the discovery channel though.

It's funny that the spikes in the chart occur when Halo 2 and 3 were released.

Like others have said, it probably won't live up to the hype.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)